• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbd23

V5TErbh.jpg

Coming soon to a waifu (or husbando) near you

should look nice on zyori

Russ T

Banned
i think i'd be okay with it as long as there are not exclusives (at least not with the first upgrade? i dunno)

having to buy a new ps4(point whatever) ever few years to be able to play the best games would bother me

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
In other news, this forum in on the verge of an epic meltdown if PS4.5 turns out to be true.

PS4.5, Xbox One is now a "Platform", and it has been rumored for years that the NX is going to be a "platform" instead of just a single hardware unit.

Sounds like Consoles are adopting the mobile phone hardware model.

If PS4.5 is true, likely it will start as "You can play these games on your PS4, but they look/run better on the New PS4.5!", then over the years more and more games will support only the PS4.5, especially Western games.

i think i'd be okay with it as long as there are not exclusives (at least not with the first upgrade? i dunno)

having to buy a new ps4(point whatever) ever few years to be able to play the best games would bother me
I imagine it similar to the N3DS. Unless they're going to totally change the hardware, there's only so much they can do without rewriting things big time. And lots of devs are going to look at the dichotomy between better performance or higher install base, and immediately choose the latter.
I think based on my usage of popular reference, I am both 65 and 12

Russ T

Banned
I imagine it similar to the N3DS. Unless they're going to totally change the hardware, there's only so much they can do without rewriting things big time. And lots of devs are going to look at the dichotomy between better performance or higher install base, and immediately choose the latter.
I think based on my usage of popular reference, I am both 65 and 12

yeah, i am, and i'm thinking particularly of xenoblade and how i haven't played it yet because i don't have an n3ds and how i don't like it

graphics settings (even enforced per platform) are not necessarily out of the question here

(and yes i realize there's more to these things than just graphics, i program video games)

kionedrik

PS4.5, Xbox One is now a "Platform", and it has been rumored for years that the NX is going to be a "platform" instead of just a single hardware unit.

Sounds like Consoles are adopting the mobile phone hardware model.

If PS4.5 is true, likely it will start as "You can play these games on your PS4, but they look/run better on the New PS4.5!", then over the years more and more games will support only the PS4.5, especially Western games.

I think their ultimate goal is establish games as services and sell hardware units that will function as stream receivers from super powerful machines that run the games you bought licences for.
That is still, at least, 10 years away from being viable but I truly believe that's what they intend to do.

This iterative hardware concept, or setting of a platform like you call it, is just a necessary step in order to achieve that goal. Educate the masses if you will.

yeah, i am, and i'm thinking particularly of xenoblade and how i haven't played it yet because i don't have an n3ds and how i don't like it

graphics settings (even enforced per platform) are not necessarily out of the question here

(and yes i realize there's more to these things than just graphics, i program video games)

there are only like 3 exclusive N3DS games though. I mean xenoblade is great but if there are only a handful of exclusives to an iteration, but quite a few games with options to use the extra additions, that's a pretty great deal imo.

Russ T

Banned
nah i get it it's not WHOLLY unreasonable to have exclusives but if the exclusive was bloodborne 2 for example? i'd fuckin shit my pants in anger

and then i'd photo it and share it in this thread

do you want that?

ain't nobody want that

...if anybody wants that let me know so i can avoid you

Chris R

It being a 4.5 and not a 5 should mean the games work on both systems.

They play at 1080pish 60fpsish on one system and up to 4k and 120fps on another.

It being a 4.5 and not a 5 should mean the games work on both systems.

They play at 1080pish 60fpsish on one system and up to 4k and 120fps on another.

thing is, what could they possibly change that would take a game from 1080p 27-30fps, for example, to 1080p 60fps and not break bank?

That's a pretty hefty hardware upgrade. Even 1440p/60 seems out of reach in my mind.

KingKong

thing is, what could they possibly change that would take a game from 1080p 27-30fps, for example, to 1080p 60fps and not break bank?

That's a pretty hefty hardware upgrade. Even 1440p/60 seems out of reach in my mind.

a videocard upgrade isnt unreasonable considering how dated the current PS4 one is

a videocard upgrade isnt unreasonable considering how dated the current PS4 one is

but a video card upgrade for how much? unless they're just going to be selling the video card, they have to sell an entire PS4, with at least half again the video processing for a comparable price. Yeah, their GPU is on the lower end these days, but I can't imagine that they're making tons of money on each PS4.

Quesa

On one hand I feel like MS/Sony are leaving poorer gamers behind for The Dedicated Few, and on the other I think they're exploiting them, because what else are they going to buy if they want to have the latest and greatest?

People look at phones as the model, but that doesn't map. Consoles aren't as useful as phones, don't wear out as quickly, and the money spent on upgrading static hardware would better be spent on a PC (assuming you've already made the investment in one). I'm curious to see how this will go down, but I'm not confident.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Why does Puck need two separate buttons for Orb?

The most logical explication I have heard is if Puck is spamming orb, he can't accidentally cancel it immediately. Most spells that replace the icon, like X marks the Spot and song of the Siren, have a delay before you can cancel them.

As a third worlder, I can't give a shit about VR cuz I'd had to just bleed $$$$$$$$ out the ass to afford.

Besides VR will be worth it when it is wireless.

Twookie

he called TLG last year or something

which could have been guessing, who knows

i kinda hate his responses though, like it's just "no" or "wrong" and when people start asking him questions he just bails out.

anyway, rumours are rumours, don't see any reason to freak out about it

Half of the shitposters and trolls in this forum predicted TLG last E3.

God, listening to some random junior is even dumber than listening to verendus, who basically just says a million things so that its guaranteed some of them actually happen.

I hate the "all hail leakers" culture on this board. fools believe anything

Twookie

yeah, meltdowns on this forum is one of the reasons i visit neogaf honestly
so much hyperbole on this forum, i love it

people are so passionate about videogames

I hate the "all hail leakers" culture on this board. fools believe anything

yeah.....

I mean, it was kinda a meme that THIS time/event we would get TLG etc

people are so passionate about videogames
Part of me loves this, too.

Another part of me feels like folks just buy in to marketing hardcore. That it's not actually this wonderful driving passion that fuels them, but stupid astroturfer and marketing scheme "hypetrains".

I'm also tragically cynical about such things so that's my bias.
The fact people actually think games will be running 4k/30 on a console when the best gpus on the market can barely do it still has me pissing myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom