• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Agree. Giving every fuckwit who starts spamming GG just because they died at the bounty rune because they didn't notice that the enemy team had 4 stuns at level 1 the ability to concede would be absolutely ruinous. If they want to rob me of a game, they can abandon and get punished for it.

And I'm sure it would be some kind of distracting popup like "fuckface has voted to concede, you have 60 seconds to vote" every fucking 60 seconds.

Concedes happened in around 40-50% of my games in league. People actively pushed for it as soon as they thought we were losing. I don't want that kind of decision resting in the hands of players. If they don't want to play they can take an abandon.

why don't you just abandon the thread again.

marrec

Banned
Either blink or sny is always a better choice than armlet, depending on the hero

It drops off quick and can be replaced, but it's only like 2300 bucks and what the hell is a DK going to do with a Blink besides run away? He's not going to blink in and stun a dude then burst him down, that just doesn't happen. It's good if you're ahead but dumb as fuck as a catch up item.

There are very easy ways to avoid those issues with a concede option: not allowing unlimited concede votes, preventing the option before a tower is taken, adding a report option for concede abuse, etc.

It's a massive quality of life upgrade. I know DotA players are wont to shitting on absolutely everything associated with League on principle, but some games are just lost, and we need the option. It will happen soon enough and two years from now y'all will be conceding all the damn time without a thought to do otherwise.

None of you complain that the pro scene gets to concede games. If you're the lone holdout when the enemy has megas and 7 towers up, then you're the dick, not the randoms on your team who are ostensibly less learned than you.

marrec

Banned
None of you complain that the pro scene gets to concede games. If you're the lone holdout when the enemy has megas and 7 towers up, then you're the dick, not the randoms on your team who are ostensibly less learned than you.

I've multiple times commented that I think pros are too quick to concede. Most of the time they are right, they're pros they make good decisions, but sometimes it's too quick.

Besides, I'm much more worried about joe schmo or even my own stackmates. If they know there is an option to concede at 20 minutes instead of sticking it out and trying to defend they might buckle under the pressure mentally. I want them to think that the only option is the rubberband and snowball.

It drops off quick and can be replaced, but it's only like 2300 bucks and what the hell is a DK going to do with a Blink besides run away? He's not going to blink in and stun a dude then burst him down, that just doesn't happen. It's good if you're ahead but dumb as fuck as a catch up item.
Blink on dk gives you an instant stun with long duration and huge range, with or without ult
You ever watch pros play dk ? It's super common to get blink on him. Your team is in charge of bursting the stunned hero
Armlet is even worse for playing from behind too

you can make adjustments to make conceding more palatable.

Dota players seems to have this weird fixation about LoL. Theyve already imported game stuff, why not this?

Did HoN have a concede option? I presume not.

i wouldn't mind the ability to concede with unanimous GGs past like 50 minutes or if you lose all your racks. Otherwise it's eh. Dota is too easy to come back in (especially in pubs).

DrPizza

Banned
There are very easy ways to avoid those issues with a concede option: not allowing unlimited concede votes, preventing the option before a tower is taken, adding a report option for concede abuse, etc.

It's a massive quality of life upgrade. I know DotA players are wont to shitting on absolutely everything associated with League on principle, but some games are just lost, and we need the option. It will happen soon enough and two years from now y'all will be conceding all the damn time without a thought to do otherwise.

I think every pro game should be played until the ancient falls, and that teams should be penalized for sitting in the fountain or otherwise playing in such a way as to hasten the demise of their own ancient.

I don't even leave games after abandons (unless it's no stats collected), and have won 1v5, 2v5, 3v5, and 4v5 games in the past.

G.ZZZ

No offense but every time i go abroad i'm disgusted by the amount of shitty food and food shops everywhere. And this is in the UK. I'd probably get an aneurysm in the US. And people still asking theirselves why there is an obesity epidemic, like is that sarcasm? Shelves and Shelves of pre-made food /rant

marrec

Banned
Blink on dk gives you an instant stun with long duration and huge range, with or without ult
You ever watch pros play dk ? It's super common to get blink on him. Your team is in charge of bursting the stunned hero
Armlet is even worse for playing from behind too

I meant to say armlet is dumb as fuck from behind.

The pros haven't played DK regularly since TI2 and yea, you can blink in and catch someone but let's not pretend DK is an initiator who needs to build blink or he's useless. Armlet is a much better item if you're pushing hard and succeeding.

I could see getting Blink if you're 5 manning with tier 2s still up but otherwise I think it's a wasted slot specifically on DK.

Edit:

Do you expect the game to go a bit long? Skip armlet and get Blink (shadowblade is better), do you think you're going to be pushing highground at 25mins? Armlet!

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Man, Riki ults needs to either be invisible to the enemy team or have his own attack speed instead of 1 attack per second.

This x100. I didn't mind his ultimate outside of these two things. It's actually a nice disjoint/self-snowball for when people go all in on you as riki especially with things like skywrath ulti/omnislash/etc... also gives Riki some much needed aoe presence in fights. The problem is it's pretty much exclusively useful as a disjoint because enemies just get hit once for 100 damage and then walk out for free. Giving it one of these two properties also gives the ability a niche beyond feeling like a much worse sleight of fist.

Hell, reduce the duration or increase the CD again if necessary, but he should really attack as fast as his hero can imo. I'm more partial to leaving the aoe indicator, but giving him the attack speed scaling.

blink dk as a ganker is the only way to play

instant stun is a big big deal, his initiation with blink is incredible

try aether lens for oodles of fun

Detox

Pros can concede because generally their oppponents are level headed and they don't expect the game to be thrown.

In my bracket quite often a team gets too cocky and after a few or several pickoffs the game is back in the balance.

It's a great feeling when your team that couldn't cooperate for 30mins starts turtling up, fighting together and using their skills properly to pull off the impossible.

Pratfall

Do you know when a game is lost? What are your criteria? I've had at least 1 game in the past week where if there were a concede option I would have taken it and I think my teammates would have too, but we won and it was totally exhilarating. You essentially remove those experiences from the pool with a concede option.

What are the two types of games that people post about on here? Games where they blame their teammates for everything and epic comebacks. Not sure why you would want to get rid of the second one.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I still absolutely never want to see a concede in dota, no matter the restrictions on such a system. Coming from HoN gives me a very negative perspective on concede/surrender. People are demoralized after one lost fight and will spam concede as often as it's available. Holdouts get bullied relentlessly and people will be more likely to throw until you accept the concede suggestion and it just becomes a chain reaction of demoralization/toxicity until all 5 are coerced into hitting that button.

I'm going to talk out of my ass but probably negated well over 50% of potential HoN comebacks.

Also, with the introduction of comeback mechanics a few patches ago, you're never actually out of a dota game. The fact that you can kill an enemy core (or any hero aside from the 5 really) when they are pushing high ground with a major gold lead, and then receive 1500-2000g SOLO gold bounty (not counting all that yummy aoe gold) means you always have a chance. Trading kills high ground as a team that is losing hard can erode as much as 20% of the enemies' xp/gold lead.

They troll and they throw and they feed couriers and they are obnoxious and spam in team chat and all chat without any concede option. It's because the genre and the community are shit, not the concede mechanic. It would just allow you to end the suffering earlier without having to be penalized for not wanting to put up with it.

I get that extreme comebacks are thrilling, but let's not pretend those are nearly as common as games where you have to sit in front of your computer screen for 15, 20, 30 minutes as the enemy figures out how to end the game and your team has devolved to flaming each other and throwing. If four teammates agree to shake hands and leave things be, they shouldn't be thrown in LP for it. If you think a comeback is possible, vote to stay.

DrPizza

Banned
Pros can concede because generally their oppponents are level headed and they don't expect the game to be thrown.

In my bracket quite often a team gets too cocky and after a few or several pickoffs the game is back in the balance.

It's a great feeling when your team that couldn't cooperate for 30mins starts turtling up, fighting together and using their skills properly to pull off the impossible.

Yes, it almost makes me wish that there was a way to "undo" reports. The first half of your game the team is objectionable and impossible, but for some reason you can hunker down and work together. It often takes only one good fight for the teamwork to flow.

pompidu

Concede vote should only happen once, has to be unanimous and can only occur at the 30min mark and beyond.
I think that is a fair compromise.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
They troll and they throw and they feed couriers and they are obnoxious and spam in team chat and all chat without any concede option. It's because the genre and the community are shit, not the concede mechanic. It would just allow you to end the suffering earlier without having to be penalized for not wanting to put up with it.

I get that extreme comebacks are thrilling, but let's not pretend those are nearly as common as games where you have to sit in front of your computer screen for 15, 20, 30 minutes as the enemy figures out how to end the game and your team has devolved to flaming each other and throwing. If four teammates agree to shake hands and leave things be, they shouldn't be thrown in LP for it. If you think a comeback is possible, vote to stay.

For me, simply the psychological effects of just having the option of a concede present in all games would be far too great a sacrifice to weasle out of those 1 in 10, 1 in 20 absolutely horrible games. That's a view that will obviously differ from person to person though.

Pratfall

Look at that game, it wasn't even that extreme of a comeback. We just lost 2 big midgame fights, our mid racks, and it seemed like their windranger was unstoppable. But our void had been farming and the rest of their team was dogshit. It is difficult to see these things in the moment and you need to actually keep bringing the fight to the other team for that stuff to show.

This is the stuff you lose. Not just the epic comebacks. You lose all the games where there is a deep low in team morale at the 30 minute mark. Something that is MUCH more common in Dota than epic comebacks or huge stomps.

I honestly didn't mean to reignite the debate again.

I speak for myself, I don't think I'm unique though in wanting it.

I don't have much time in the evenings to be playing the game. My enjoyment suffers greatly when I'm stuck in a game with atrocious players. Conceding won't solve the issue, but giving me the ability to concede will help to increase my enjoyment.

Beardz

I'm officially in love with Oracle, he is so fucking fun to play with, so many possibilities, nice nukes, nice ult... he is everything really!

I'm officially in love with Oracle, he is so fucking fun to play with, so many possibilities, nice nukes, nice ult... he is everything really!

I still maintain that everyone calling his first big ult rework a "nerf" was nuts. It's so strong. Hero is fun to watch in the right hands.

TUSR

Banned
i remember my favorite LP game

this squeaker was listing off logical fallacies from a first year English course whenever someone gave him advice

"post hoc ergo propter hoc"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i still dont understand why icefraud changed oracle's ult. it was so much more interesting when it gave invis

I'm of the exact opposite view lol. I thought it was extremely dumb and less interesting. I liked his ulti last patch much better, but I guess that needed a nerf before he could be thrown into CM.

Having heroes with unique things makes dota good.

Having unique hero designs, yes, absolutely. But weird, unnecessary exceptions just make dota arcane and impenetrable.

Exactly, just make it work like pudge's flesh heap. Maybe make it not retroactive (as suddenly losing int when the enemy silencer across the map finally decides to take his first point in glaives would be weird) and buff him somewhere else to compensate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom