• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think maybe 5 stacks should have a concede option, but this would just be abused by some by immediately conceding when a game doesn't go their way(they already kind of do this by having someone abandon).

Hylian7

So how often have you guys actually seen decent to good Arc Wardens? I can count the number of times on one hand, and I think it's like two. I had one last night that tried to play support and did absolutely nothing in the lane, and maxed out Flux and Magnetic Field before taking any points in Spark Wraith.
facepalm.gif

"Stay in the bubble" he says, as a Tusk and Crystal Maiden rapidly approach. Because it's totes going to help against them.

So how often have you guys actually seen decent to good Arc Wardens? I can count the number of times on one hand, and I think it's like two. I had one last night that tried to play support and did absolutely nothing in the lane, and maxed out Flux and Magnetic Field before taking any points in Spark Wraith.
facepalm.gif

"Stay in the bubble" he says, as a Tusk and Crystal Maiden rapidly approach. Because it's totes going to help against them.

My friend can play him well. That's about it

elyetis

Even if 2/5 still believe they can still win, do you think the other 3 will even try? I'm sure the discussion devolves to "wtf noob no concede pls report".

Add to that that you can never enjoy being on the winning side of a game for too long before the other team has already conceded.
Number of concede limited per week like reports ( and maybe getting new one if the concede is sucessfull like reports, but not necessary ), and voilà you don't see everyone concede every single game.
Can probably even tinker it even more by making some balancing between concede and report, so that report on someone unsuccessful concede vote would hold more weight as to avoid people pressuring/trash talking/whatever the other because he didn't have the concede he wanted.

Now it's not like I care too much about it anymore since I only play on premade of at least 3 players, so a balanced concede option isn't really different to a premade ability to take turns for abandons if you don't need it too often.

Quesa

You mean the guy that I've seen start to intentionally feed after he got a rough start on Bloodseeker? Kinda proves that not even pros are to be trusted with a concede option in pubs, some of them don't think a bad game is worth their time.

You could flip this and say that pros aren't that different than pub players when it comes to acknowledging when they want the game to end, whether they could have won it or not.

DrPizza

Banned
You mean the guy that I've seen start to intentionally feed after he got a rough start on Bloodseeker? Kinda proves that not even pros are to be trusted with a concede option in pubs, some of them don't think a bad game is worth their time.

I always find it strange, because in my view, a good temperament, and being resilient even in the face of bad starts, is a learned thing that deserves practice. Keeping their shit together in pubs will mean they get less flustered and are more robust in pro games. Like, if you know that someone can be pushed out of their comfort zone by three man ganking them five times in the first ten minutes, that seems like an exploitable weakness to me, and a weakness that it's worth working to improve.

Duesy

facepalm.gif

People get mad when I pick him so I have to mute everyone before the game starts :(

You could flip this and say that pros aren't that different than pub players when it comes to acknowledging when they want the game to end, whether they could have won it or not.
They aren't in pubs, they definitely are in pro games, even EE doesn't start intentionally feeding in pro games and always gives a 100% even when it looks hopeless.

Ultrabum

They aren't in pubs, they definitely are in pro games, even EE doesn't start intentionally feeding in pro games and always gives a 100% even when it looks hopeless.

The second we start losing I start complaining we lost, but I always play it out anyways. Sometimes we win, but the game is still not fun. When this happens too many times I know I need a break from dota.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I say "we lost" to prevent myself from tilting. Once I've accepted the lost I can relax and likely play a bit tighter than I would if I was going full tryhard.

Sometimes you need to give up to get ahead.

Quesa

I would imagine that if it wasn't seen as super distasteful, they would. But that's speculation on my part.

My point is that Valve has chosen to add a surrender option for pro games but has not given it to the average player. But pro players' knowledge of when a game is truly lost is certainly there, but shouldn't be the only factor in determining whether there's a concede option in Dota. Which goes back to my other point:

Many players may not know when a game is lost, but most of them know when it's no longer fun, and when they'd rather not find out so they can move on.

That said, I'm not satisfied with any implementation of a concede system I've thought up or come across, and until I've seen one I like I don't think it's a good idea.

gai_shain

I would imagine that if it wasn't seen as super distasteful, they would. But that's speculation on my part.

My point is that Valve has chosen to add a surrender option for pro games but has not given it to the average player. But pro players' knowledge of when a game is truly lost is certainly there, but shouldn't be the only factor in determining whether there's a concede option in Dota. Which goes back to my other point:

sure, add it to unranked

Hylian7

I'd rather not have a concede option be a thing in pubs. Guarantee you there would be an insane amount of games that were otherwise salvagable, end by 20 minutes because of a concede by one team because shit went south in 5 minutes.

That's something Dota has handled better than other games. I can't get hard numbers on this, but I guarantee you a very significant chunk of the games that looked like they were done in 10 minutes, we have turned around and won. On the flip side, I've played games where our team was completely wrecking the other team within 10 minutes, and we still managed to lose. This teaches people how to salvage bad situations like that, and makes for an overall better and more satisfying experience.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Nah, surrender changes the way people play, see a huge difference from playing HoN to Dota. I can't even remember the last game I played where I would want to surrender.

honestly the reason I care is because of what heavy and quesa have mentioned: I don't often have the luxury of spending many consecutive hours with the game, and when a full 25-30% of my playtime is spent not having fun I just don't want to play anymore. It's really not worth the rare thrill of coming back against crazy odds, not to me.

it's why I mostly spectate. I can accept getting stomped, but not when I'm trapped in a 90-minute game that I can't quit because i'll be shoved into a queue that's even more frustrating and unfun. If you guys are ok with that system, that's fine, you almost certainly spend more time playing than I do. But there are ways to shield a concede system from abuse or premature calls and it would enable me to have a lot more actual "fun" with the game rather than trying to entertain myself by shit-talking randoms and Ayub with POTAstack in coach chat.

...but I also agree that done poorly it can only enable the black hole of shit that is its community even further

Hylian7

I'm pretty sure that gives everyone in the party an abandon now though.

This is correct, only difference is party abandons do not give you LPQ, they count toward it, but if you racked enough to get you LPQ, you won't until you actually abandon a game.

The only time I'd concede is in those games where you're just waiting on the enemy team to end and you can't leave your base without dying.

Oh great, they have already have a huge lead and are just fucking around.. let me waste 15 minutes of my life while they farm up some more items to end.

It's one of those charming, "it's just dotes" things that really should be phased out since they seem intent on doing it in other parts of the game.

Vaporak

I used to be for concede options, but having played dota with concede and without, I'm grateful that Valve didn't put concede in dota2. The defeatism, team trolling, and team bullying goes way down when there isn't a developer sanction outlet for the frustration moba players feel when the game gets rough. At this point the only concede option I'd even think is worth it to consider would just be a relabeling of the abandon system: limited availability for those one in a thousand games of 20 minute fountain camping where there is literally no come back, but off to low priority for you if you concede more than a few times in a over a long time frame.

Getting Aghs on Lion is always such a great feeling. Suddenly your strong but extremely precious tactical airstrike of an ult turns into a indiscriminate carpet bombing that you can sloppily throw out whenever you feel like it. Creepwave standing in your way? Fragile enemy heroes? Deleted.

Shoutouts to everyone that stacked with us tonight! Games were fun, shame you can't live in a proper timezone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom