• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qvoth

dps has always been just a theoretical number either way
unless it's a loot game like diablo, where dps number is generally quite literal

Wok

I'd like it if your MMR could expire if you don't play solo ranked consistently enough. Like if you haven't played more than 5 ranked games in the past 3 months(just an example) your MMR expires and you have to recalibrate. After calibrating like 2 years ago ice played a grand total of 5 or so ranked games, maybe I still belong at that exact mmr but that would just be a coincidence and nothing else.

MMR should not reset, but uncertainty should increase with time spent not playing.

TUSR

Banned
depends on the parameters used to calculate dps

# of targets (single or multi)
time frame (sustained or burst)
conditions of engagement
etc

nothing wrong with jungling in AR
you ain't gonna safelane trilane with 3 melee cores anyway

edit : I think rop + stout is better for melee rather than double rop

Is double Ring of Protection still a thing over a single Stout Shield for melee heroes after the RoP nerf? I always build Tranqs and Basi on Lone Druid anyway and I'm wondering if double RoP Spirit Bear is just as good at tanking.

shira

QKY7Q5H.png

7V4n4il.png

pQ52Cfs.png

kHUZ3tX.png

Navi vs Empire FIGHT!

I think na`vi has an OK chance to qualify in this group
No wildcard this time if I got it right ?

America and SEA are such joke regions though, should be 3 qualifiers from china and europe, 1 for SEA and US

shira

Starladder/iLeague - Minsk, Belarus (Jan 13-17)
$300k: EG, Vega, Alliance, VP, Team Spirit, Fnatic, CoL, Wings, LGD, Secret, Liquid, Navi
LOL strong potential for 8 of the 12 Starladder teams eliminated from Shanghai

SC 2 seasons/leagues (or whatever they called it) would be best for Ranked MMR. You can view the history to where you ended up at the end of each session. It seemed easy to work your way up to other tiers if you had a bad calibration as well. At a start of a new season recalibration was only a few matches if I recall correctly. In Dota MMR is just steadily the same thing, no tiers just a number. If you are very high you gain little and lose a lot. Not sure really what the point of it is. Just an endless grind that shows no history or reward.

In CSGo if you recalibrate is it the full requirement of matches (like 10 for dota) or is it a lower match requirement?

Wok

SC 2 seasons/leagues (or whatever they called it) would be best for Ranked MMR. You can view the history to where you ended up at the end of each session. It seemed easy to work your way up to other tiers if you had a bad calibration as well. At a start of a new season recalibration was only a few matches if I recall correctly. In Dota MMR is just steadily the same thing, no tiers just a number. If you are very high you gain little and lose a lot. Not sure really what the point of it is. Just an endless grind that shows no history or reward.

There is history. The reward is the path.

WQe8pxL.png

There could be seasons if this is what people really want. I am not sure though what the appeal is.

There is history. The reward is the path.

WQe8pxL.png

There could be seasons if this is what people really want. I am not sure though what the appeal is.

This isn't within client though is it? The presentation in SC 2 just seemed so more advanced and user friendly.

Red UFO

The ELO system is based off an infinite number of games played. If you keep resetting MMR, uncertainty goes through the roof.

I understand why people are somewhat frustrated with the current system, but hard resets are not the answer.

I don't know what the answer is, I'm not too cracking at statistics, but it's not an easy problem to solve.

You are arguing for arguing's sake. Tiring shit honestly.

He's not wrong. There is a lot of stuff you need to know to make a dps number remotely valuable.

-How long does the hero have to attack the target? 1 second? 5, 10 , 60 seconds? PA will do her highest dps in the first second due to blink strike. Sven will do consistent dps, until his ult wears off. Slark, bristle, OD and ursa's dps will increase the longer they get to attack.
-For heroes that also do magic/pure/hp removal damage and heroes that decrease armor we need to know the target's armor to calculate overall dps. For heroes that make illusions of the enemy, we need to know the target's stats. What is a representative target?
-For legion, silencer and pudge, how much damage do we assumed they have gained from kills?
-Do we assume the heroes get sensible, low dps items (bkb, satanic, bots) or optimal dps items (moonshards and rapiers). For the former, how do we determine where a sensible build ends and a goofy build begins?
-Do we assume heroes waste autoattack time to cast their disables?

Dps is serious business thank you very much.

earthshaker vs a 1000 creeps creep wave blocked with 5 heroes + neutral creeps thanks to chen
or
a bazillion techies land mines
or
ten godzillion suns

He's not wrong. There is a lot of stuff you need to know to make a dps number remotely valuable.

-How long does the hero have to attack the target? 1 second? 5, 10 , 60 seconds? PA will do her highest dps in the first second due to blink strike. Sven will do consistent dps, until his ult wears off. Slark, bristle, OD and ursa's dps will increase the longer they get to attack.
-For heroes that also do magic/pure/hp removal damage and heroes that decrease armor we need to know the target's armor to calculate overall dps. For heroes that make illusions of the enemy, we need to know the target's stats. What is a representative target?
-For legion, silencer and pudge, how much damage do we assumed they have gained from kills?
-Do we assume the heroes get sensible, low dps items (bkb, satanic, bots) or optimal dps items (moonshards and rapiers). For the former, how do we determine where a sensible build ends and a goofy build begins?
-Do we assume heroes waste autoattack time to cast their disables?

Dps is serious business thank you very much.

Why even bother typing this? What makes you think I don't know that?

I just calculated and with the new collision size on techies' mines, you can do a total of 375700 damage with a perfect stack of land mines

Take that sven

Quesa

My friend from sixth grade says he can outDPS a six-slotted gyro because he saw his uncle do it once

he can also do a sick kickflip

Detox

The ELO system is based off an infinite number of games played. If you keep resetting MMR, uncertainty goes through the roof.

I understand why people are somewhat frustrated with the current system, but hard resets are not the answer.

I don't know what the answer is, I'm not too cracking at statistics, but it's not an easy problem to solve.
Do you know how sc2 handles this with its seasons and divisions?

All I know is the community has shown they care about MMR and competitive matchmaking the fact that all valve has done for this part of the community is show the elo number is terrible.

mvtn

So I haven't touched games in a few months and seeing all those changes tempted me to play Chen in a rather different way - going for stats, the burts thingy and Dagon. It actually works!

KingKong

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-700

Tactile Alerts
FEEL YOUR
COOLDOWNS
The mouse is no longer merely an input device; gamers can now feel in-game events, aiding them in critical decision-making. Customize every aspect of the alerts from intensity to vibration patterns.

Take it a step further and set individual alerts for multiple triggers like cooldown timers, health status, and more through SteelSeries Engine.

is this what I need to become a pro

https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/rival-700

Tactile Alerts
FEEL YOUR
COOLDOWNS
The mouse is no longer merely an input device; gamers can now feel in-game events, aiding them in critical decision-making. Customize every aspect of the alerts from intensity to vibration patterns.

Take it a step further and set individual alerts for multiple triggers like cooldown timers, health status, and more through SteelSeries Engine.

is this what I need to become a pro
It's nice if you don't have eyes or hate your money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom