• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT13| 6.86, our Pit Lord and savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Lots of junglers now because of Iron Talon
People claiming junglers are ruining their games
Some assholes advise to ward your own jungle
???
Circlejerk

the best part about all these stupid jungle screenshots is when someone digs up the dotabuff and it's a won game with the jungler going 20-0 or some shit

junglers aren't ideal in every dota lineup but the reddit jungle-hate circle jerk is getting tiresome, "wtF i lose game after i pik medusa wit assole who pik junglerrR???" Like all things in dota, it's ultimately about having a balanced composition and often comes down to pick order. If you know someone on your team is jungling, don't pick a greedy ass safe laner that also absolutely needs to utilize the jungle to function.

junglers aren't ideal in every dota lineup but the reddit jungle-hate circle jerk is getting tiresome,
As long as Reddit is under the impression they control Dota patches (regardless of whether they actually control balance patches or not, and they don't) this won't stop.

I honestly don't know what they're asking for anyway, what do they want? Nerf junglers? Buff junglers? It's unclear.

For now they just like to pretend that junglers are ruining their games and that warding your own jungle isn't the most disgusting thing you can do to your own team barring intentional feeding.

Plenty of other heroes can jungle without talon
LD, doom, axe off the top of my head
Axe is probably the best jungler in the game too imo, also very strong at offlane if theirs can't prevent you from creep skipping

Hylian7

I haven't watched any pro Dota in 6.86 (not that there has been much), but what exactly is the point of Iron Talon at that level? The only thing I ever see it used for in pubs is for jungling heroes that couldn't really jungle before, aka almost anyone ranged.

A friend I play with has been trying jungling different heroes with it, some successful, some not so much. The jungling method technically "works", however NP cliff jungling " works ", but we know it's garbage.

Who exactly does this open the jungle up to potentially that would actually be able to contribute to the game early on? I'm talking something like an Enigma walking over and ganking. My friend has done jungle Drow a few times, and I was not a fan of it.

In almost every case, it's either " Why not just pick something else? " or "Why not just lane that hero?"

kionedrik

Hey guys. First of all I'd like to wish you all a good year (no need to point out this is coming way too late).

I'd like to ask the following, how are you enjoying 6.86?

My last match was more than a month ago so I haven't played a single game in the new patch, and honestly I don't feel any urge to come back any time soon, but from the streams I've been able to watch from time to time it feels like this patch is yet another iteration of the 6.84 meta, just like 6.85 was. There are new fotm heroes, others were nerfed but imho not enough, but the constant teamfights, go-as-5-from-minute-10 bot strategy meta is still strong.

I also find it ironic that a patch named "Balance of Power" seems to be one the most unbalanced the game has had in quite a long time. All of this is coming from a spectator PoV but it seems the power gap between top picks and second tier heroes is wider than ever before, not to mention the gap between the latter and the bottom tier heroes that are simply never seen (some of which have been there for 3+ patches). I can't agree with the decision of buffing heroes endlessly instead of nerfing the over-the-top ones (I've posted before about my concerns of power creeping and it looks like I was right).

I don't know what kind of matches the next Major will have but I fear they won't be very good ones. Also, despite it still being too early to make any predictions, I believe the next patch will need to revamp a lot mechanics in the game or at least do a complete 180 in the meta otherwise me, and possibly a lot of other people, might never be coming back.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i absolutely love 6.86 so far, one of my favorite patches

I can't agree with the decision of buffing heroes endlessly instead of nerfing the over-the-top ones (I've posted before about my concerns of power creeping and it looks like I was right).

Wut? Over-the-top heroes are always nerfed. Usually quite hard. And right about what? As for powercreep/buffs, let's be real here, no one is guna play a dota patch with 80% nerfs and 20% +1 armor buffs. That's not exciting, that's not fun. When the shitposting/clamor for a new patch comes around it's certainly not for the 6.85 of nerfs. Most people want to see some new items, reworks, heroes, and powers/abilities—get excited over their favorite heroes getting buffed and theorycrafting and experimenting around these new powers/buffs/items/heroes.

I don't think "powercreep" in dota is a problem at all because unlike card games—no one gets left behind. The unpopular lower tiers are brought up and the higher tiers are brought down, sure the overall "average" power level of heroes probably increases slightly patch by patch, but again that's not a bad thing and it's counteracted by things like creep gold reductions, roshan buffs, tower buffs, more neutral camps, more base hp, etc...

I mean we went from a game that was all about 4 heroes putting up wards and standing behind the 1 hard carry as he farmed for 50 minutes into the late game where both carries would then 1v1 to see who gets to massacre the other team and take 1 tower to a game where every hero feels pretty potent and powerful and can have some measure of impact early, mid, and late (tho many still excel in one or two of the three stages)...all thanks to 'powercreep.' Playing a support is much more exciting, impactful, and fun than it was years ago because of constant buffs, new items, and QoL changes which people usually negatively refer to as 'powercreep' (which is a word often thrown out and implied to be negative by nature without actual explanation behind what's so bad or destructive about said word in the context of dota).

That nasty ol' powercreep tho; the dota apocolypse is coming cuZ of the powercreep nuclear arms race, mark my words one of these days now.

tusk, gyro and invoker
wow
Kappa.png

Sibylus

Banned
i absolutely love 6.86 so far, one of my favorite patches

Wut? Over-the-top heroes are always nerfed. Usually quite hard. And right about what? As for powercreep/buffs, let's be real here, no one is guna play a dota patch with 80% nerfs and 20% +1 armor buffs. That's not exciting, that's not fun. When the shitposting/clamor for a new patch comes around it's certainly not for the 6.85 of nerfs. Most people want to see some new items, reworks, heroes, and powers/abilities—get excited over their favorite heroes getting buffed and theorycrafting and experimenting around these new powers/buffs/items/heroes.

I don't think "powercreep" in dota is a problem at all because unlike card games—no one gets left behind. The unpopular lower tiers are brought up and the higher tiers are brought down, sure the overall "average" power level of heroes probably increases slightly patch by patch, but again that's not a bad thing and it's counteracted by things like creep gold reductions, roshan buffs, tower buffs, more neutral camps, more base hp, etc...

I mean we went from a game that was all about 4 heroes putting up wards and standing behind the 1 hard carry as he farmed for 50 minutes into the late game where both carries would then 1v1 to see who gets to massacre the other team and take 1 tower to a game where every hero feels pretty potent and powerful and can have some measure of impact early, mid, and late (tho many still excel in one or two of the three stages)...all thanks to 'powercreep.' Playing a support is much more exciting, impactful, and fun than it was years ago because of constant buffs, new items, and QoL changes which people usually negatively refer to as 'powercreep' (which is a word often thrown out and implied to be negative by nature without actual explanation behind what's so bad or destructive about said word in the context of dota).

That nasty ol' powercreep tho; the dota apocolypse is coming cuZ of the powercreep nuclear arms race, mark my words one of these days now.
I agree with all you have said. Patches like 6.86 excite me with the constant reworking and buffing they introduce. I want surprises. I want reinvention. I want innovation. I don't want 6.85s constantly because that's stale and overly timid. Blow the wheels off and get people excited.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Who's the big overpowered hero in competitive play this patch, anyway? Pudge has been seeing some play but I don't think it's him.

There hasn't really been a major tournament with all the top teams to see what the big bad(s) of the patch is, especially after 6.86c. If the recent Chinese tournament is anything to go by—Void, DP, Earth Spirit, Oracle, TB, and Lone Druid are all rising stars in competitive. Invoker is still of course holding strong, but everyone knew and expected that since 6.86 day one. Vengeful spirit is also making a resurgence. The upcoming major and closed qualifiers should be fairly interesting.

Sometimes it even takes multiple major tournaments for the OP strat(s)/hero(es) to come out, hell 6.81 was out for months with several tourneys passing by before pros realized deathball (and lycan/dp/razor) was numero uno. Pro players/teams are hella trendy.

t0rment

almost every game i've played in 6.86 the team with the jungler lost, it's actually ridiculous. i'm definitely warding my camp next time i see a jungler in my team.

is morpheus the ps vr thing ?
yeah let's sell something made for enthusiasts to console gamers ie not enthusiasts in general, what could go wrong
happytears.gif

lol duel on linkens

shira

Occulus to Canada

$850 base
$50 shipping

40% customs tax
13% sales tax

$1423

Yeah no thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.