• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT2| Ellen Pudge starring in Beyond Two Throws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor on lane and generally high dps heroes with magic immunity. Honestly if you aren't fed to disgusting levels Naix and Lycan in particular should have a field day with you.
They did let me farm for free the entire game for some reason
Well, I'd say dying the moment someone so much as sneezes in his direction is a pretty big weakness.
and they never tried to stun me or really focus on me at all
Nyx_Assassin.png

NYXNYXNYXNYXNYXNYXNYXNYXNYX!

Also he's very vulnerable to early ganks as he has no escape other than trying to dodge stuff with his Astral Imprisonment, and even then that's iffy depending on what is after you.
and none of them played nyx

I guess the answer is that Outworld Devourer is unbeatable in low-level pub games.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The community and the match making system has completely destroyed any shred of fun I have had playing this game.

It's downright painful to play at this point.

Time to move on I suppose.

Might be an isolated issue, but I've noticed lately that games tend to be lopsided for the most part. No matter if I win or lose, it's almost always a stomp either way.

Pkaz01

i wonder what they were thinking when they saw him with that gpm. they are probably going to watch the replay and go crazy at those jungle stacks they let them farm

dmshaposv

Weaver, Dragon Knight, Axe, Skywrath...I know what this team needs!

Phantom Assassin!

That makes so much sense!

i know dat feel.

Sometimes I just become the gentleman that I am and go full support when my team chooses all carries.

Yesterday we stomped a Slark, Kunkka, Elder Titan, QOP and sniper. I dazzled, and healed the shit out of my team, till our weaver and PL were able to outcarry.

ElyrionX

Razor on lane and generally high dps heroes with magic immunity. Honestly if you aren't fed to disgusting levels Naix and Lycan in particular should have a field day with you.

I never really understood the Razor countering OD argument. How does it work? Is it unstable current or static link or a combination of both?

G.ZZZ

Drats, how can I make the joke "you only say that because you lost" if you win!

Its instresting how nether side really has any major "late game", Jugg is the character that scales the best and he doesn't do it that well.

Also, I nominate AwfulWaffLE for the Gaf Maelk Award!

Don't hate on AwfulWaffLE me + him are autowin in inhouses, #whataplayer

dmshaposv

Guys what are the absolute unbeatable starting items for weaver in mid? I want to keep him alive and last hitting. It gets difficult against other tanky agi mids tho.

I've seen some Wraith band/Tango combo, rushed into a LS and then into dmg items.

GorillaJu

I never really understood the Razor countering OD argument. How does it work? Is it unstable current or static link or a combination of both?

Current + Link.

His base damage is very low without draining int from Astral. He'll never be able to drain your INT to get more base damage because if he does he takes damage and opens himself up for an attack when the Astral finishes. Draining Razor's INT isn't an effective way to stop harass because Link costs very little mana.

Basically every tool that OD uses to dominate most heroes mid doesn't work against Razor, so while there won't be much going on in terms of hero kills, Razor will dominate the creep kills/denies.

He's mana independent and the static link (20 mana, so castable even with multiple stacks of intelligence drain) counters damage gained via imprisonment that would otherwise win the lane. Oh, and the static link persists through imprison as well, so no escaping from it that way.

Edit: OddMorsel pretty much covered it.

Karakand

That is the Orchid equivalent, right? That sounds like a Scythe without the slow! It seems incredibly OP. I couldn't imagine how ridiculous it would be on the Storm Spirit equivalent.

Yeah, it's HoN's Orchid.

I would have to defer to the longtime HoN-GAFers about it, but regardless of its strength it's still an expensive item and (at least I) die a lot faster in HoN than Dota.

This week i started actualy playing DOTA 2 again instead of just watching. My account got to lvl 2 now and i finished the tutorial section to 100%. Then i played a couple of games and this morning i had a realy nice match. I was playing as Crystal maiden and i was actualy leading by levels / kills. Then one of our team disconnected and we managed to dominate the other team after a series of let downs and after nearly losing turned it around and killed their ancient :D Winning feels great in this game!

SamVimes

Guys what are the absolute unbeatable starting items for weaver in mid? I want to keep him alive and last hitting. It gets difficult against other tanky agi mids tho.

I've seen some Wraith band/Tango combo, rushed into a LS and then into dmg items.

I always get three branches, tango and salve followed by a bottle with Weaver and i can't remember the last time i didn't stomp the game after going mid with him.

Hung_real

Lets me throw some numbers your way

Astral from 1 - 4 stole 4/6/8/10 int

Static stole 7/14/21/28 per second.

So in between the cd of Astral, Razor can just click W on him and process to zone him out of exp range. Doesn't help that Razor also get free damage whenever OD casts Astral on him

Hylian7

Had a Meepo game earlier where a weird bug happened to me. My internet went out briefly and I had to reconnect, when I came back my control groups were screwed up. Usually I have my control groups like this:

F1 - Main Meepo
1 - All Meepos
2 - All Clones
3 - Temporary control group (for sending some Meepos back to fountain or whatever)

Well for some reason selecting Meepo #4 at all would only show Meepo #4 selected on the screen, but in the HUD on the left it would say I had both the main Meepo and Meepo #4 selected. It didn't happen with any other clone, only Meepo #4. This was quite frustrating as when I would TP in a few times, I tried to follow up with the Poofs, and ended up cancelling the TP because it somehow told the main Meepo to do the action as well!

I tried reconnecting and it didn't fix it. Luckily for me it didn't matter too much that those TPs were cancelled (if I recall correctly I had BoTs by this time anyway). It also made proper Blink Poofing impossible.

ElyrionX

Current + Link.

His base damage is very low without draining int from Astral. He'll never be able to drain your INT to get more base damage because if he does he takes damage and opens himself up for an attack when the Astral finishes. Draining Razor's INT isn't an effective way to stop harass because Link costs very little mana.

Basically every tool that OD uses to dominate most heroes mid doesn't work against Razor, so while there won't be much going on in terms of hero kills, Razor will dominate the creep kills/denies.

You mean the slow and damage from Unstable Current will only apply when Astral Prison finishes?

GorillaJu

You mean the slow and damage from Unstable Current will only apply when Astral Prison finishes?

No, but the slow is pretty intense and after Prison finishes he's out of options and the slow will keep him in range for a link after prison is up.

You aren't going to kill him a bunch, he's just not going to get jack shit for farm.

NBtoaster

I still don't think battlefury is bad on BH. People mistakenly think it's just a farming item, when it's also a big damage item. It costs slightly more than Desolator but gives more damage, more sustainability and cleave which may be useful in a teamfight.

It's like getting it on Tusk. You have a guaranteed crit that can be distributed to everyone.

I still don't think battlefury is bad on BH. People mistakenly think it's just a farming item, when it's also a big damage item. It costs slightly more than Desolator but gives more damage, more sustainability and cleave which may be useful in a teamfight.

It's like getting it on Tusk. You have a guaranteed crit that can be distributed to everyone.

Except that it's an item whose cheapest component in 875 gold where a good BH wants to be running around the map throwing tracks and scouting enemy movement as soon as he hits level 6, not sitting in lane/jungle AFK farming.

It's not just about what the item gives you, it's what you have to pay to get it.

NBtoaster

Except that it's an item whose cheapest component in 875 gold where a good BH wants to be running around the map throwing tracks and scouting enemy movement as soon as he hits level 6, not sitting in lane/jungle AFK farming.

It's not just about what the item gives you, it's what you have to pay to get it.

Well yes it shouldn't be an item you're farming all game for, but if you have a good start and find yourself with a lot of money it will make you very powerful in the midgame (albeit squishy).

Hylian7

Well yes it shouldn't be an item you're farming all game for, but if you have a good start and find yourself with a lot of money it will make you very powerful in the midgame (albeit squishy).
Or you can get Orchid/Desolator/whatever else that is more useful up and running really quickly.

Max dagger build is so shit, I dunno why players do it. Damage scaling linear, and the increase is mediocre at best for such a long cooldown. Movement speed increase is hardly a reason for leveling it, and the increased mana cost per level is a problem with such a small mana pool, especially without items.

If you're being defensive, an extra point or two in dispersion, sure.

Maybe in this case it was because she was in a tri vs. tri and desolate might be less reliable, but ehhhhhh.

(VG vs. LGD.cn Game 1)

Spookie

I still don't understand where they got that build. Can any of the Dota 1 veterans shed some light on where that came from?

It's a recommended item on the default build. Deso is vastly superior since you burst people down quicker and negate some of the armour from a mek. It's hard to get the usefulness out of a cleave when you're built out of paper.

ElyrionX

I still don't understand where they got that build. Can any of the Dota 1 veterans shed some light on where that came from?

IIRC, Jinada didn't have a cooldown and worked like Jugg's crit in the past. In those days, BH was played more like a hard carry.

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and I'm right:

Reworked Jinada icon.png Jinada
Old:
Passive.
Crit: 1.25/1.5/1.75/2.0x
Crit Chance: 15%
Evasion: 5/10/15/20%
New:
Passive. Adds a critical strike and small maim to your next attack. Has a cooldown.
Critical Strike: 1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0x
Maim: 25% MS/AS for 3 seconds
Cooldown: 22/17/12/7

Plus, Track didn't used to give team gold, only individual gold and I think his windwalk also used to give a movement speed bonus, much like Clinkz. That plus the evasion and crit passive from Jinada made him more of a hard carry than roamer. So Bfury does make sense

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I know it's a tale as old as time, but all the non-English speakers I keep getting queued with in this game are starting to finally wear down my resolve. I love this game so damn much but without communication, entire games can feel like just a pointless waste of time.
My last Medusa game I was "gifted" a rapier when the Slark on the eventual losing team got cocky. :)

Anteo

Yesterday we won because we dropped a divine. Does that make sense? Our kunkka bought a couple of Divines after getting the third rax (it was a comback, we were behind for most of the match) and in a small battle near the dire secret shop he loses it, so we all start a battle there that last a bit. We lose the fight, but their ancient took way too much damage in the meantime and Furion just moved for the kill before they could come back to defend..

http://dotabuff.com/matches/381442561

Check the inventory

elyetis

The fact that the game is still growing, servers are stable and the partners are happy. Yes.
To be fair all of that would be true even if all they did was patch hats and tournament ticket, and never added more content to the game.
The big update that is coming will make you appreciate the new setup, trust me.
I want to believe. I really do, like everyone I think. ^ ^

Let's just say that at the moment, that new dev pace still has all to prove for many ( most ? ) people in the community, but yeah, the next patch could very well prove that it was for the best.

SteveWinwood : /bow

Anteo

IIRC, Jinada didn't have a cooldown and worked like Jugg's crit in the past. In those days, BH was played more like a hard carry.

EDIT: Just checked Wiki and I'm right:

Reworked Jinada icon.png Jinada
Old:
Passive.
Crit: 1.25/1.5/1.75/2.0x
Crit Chance: 15%
Evasion: 5/10/15/20%
New:
Passive. Adds a critical strike and small maim to your next attack. Has a cooldown.
Critical Strike: 1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0x
Maim: 25% MS/AS for 3 seconds
Cooldown: 22/17/12/7

Plus, Track didn't used to give team gold, only individual gold and I think his windwalk also used to give a movement speed bonus, much like Clinkz. That plus the evasion and crit passive from Jinada made him more of a hard carry than roamer. So Bfury does make sense

I dont think his inv ever gave him speed. That was why the Track was there, but everything else is true. Splash and % Crit was always an okay match. Also I think old Track gave him extra gold as a passive (no need to track for the extra gold) but it was only for him

Nirvana

A friend of mine constantly picks up Halberd on Timbersaw, I keep telling him that Scythe of Vyse will accomplish everything a Halberd will and more (essentially), but he seems to still go straight for halberd after Bloodstone.

After doing the maths, you basically only get about 150 extra EHP from Halberd, about 35 damage (which isn't really useful on Timber anyway since he isn't an auto attack hero) and you of course get the 25% evasion, which is EHP in a way as well I suppose. You get a 3.5 (4.5 if ranged) disarm vs a 3.5 second hard disable.

Admittedly, the item build up is more difficult for Scythe and if you are having a really bad game, then Halberd is still a great item on Timber. But even when this guy is ahead in his games, he will pick up Halberd before or instead, opting for Shiva's, even if there are no other sheep carriers on the team.

I just feel like Scythe is essentially the perfect item for Timbersaw, especially after Bloodstone when his farming potential is ridiculous, with 10 charges you can wipe out the whole jungle in about 2 minutes and farm lanes like crazy, so he has the ability to farm the sheep no problem. The item gives him a small amount of armor, a bit of hp and most importantly 455 mana and 150% mana regen, plus a hard disable which gives him huge solo kill potential and makes him useful in team fights even against BKB carries (if you can get it off).

I feel like stacking mana regen items on Timber is the most effective way to run the hero if you aren't needing to be a semi carry, or need to pick up a situational BKB or something, as all you really need to do is spam your spells and stay alive and you do huge damage - add a hard disable to that and you are practically unstoppable.

Like I said, if you are behind then get a halberd, but if ahead I think Scythe should be considered pretty much core after Bloodstone, in a similar way to Puck after blink.

I guess I just kind of find it annoying, since you basically need someone to pick a sheep up every game and since supports generally struggle to buy it and his hero has the ability to farm it fairly easily, it just seems like a natural thing and instead he spends 4000 gold on a Halberd instead.

Am I right here? Or is Halberd a better item in more ways than I'm describing?

SamVimes

A friend of mine constantly picks up Halberd on Timbersaw, I keep telling him that Scythe of Vyse will accomplish everything a Halberd will and more (essentially), but he seems to still go straight for halberd after Bloodstone.

After doing the maths, you basically only get about 150 extra EHP from Halberd, about 35 damage (which isn't really useful on Timber anyway since he isn't an auto attack hero) and you of course get the 25% evasion, which is EHP in a way as well I suppose. You get a 3.5 (4.5 if ranged) disarm vs a 3.5 second hard disable.

Admittedly, the item build up is more difficult for Scythe and if you are having a really bad game, then Halberd is still a great item on Timber. But even when this guy is ahead in his games, he will pick up Halberd before or instead, opting for Shiva's, even if there are no other sheep carriers on the team.

I just feel like Scythe is essentially the perfect item for Timbersaw, especially after Bloodstone when his farming potential is ridiculous, with 10 charges you can wipe out the whole jungle in about 2 minutes and farm lanes like crazy, so he has the ability to farm the sheep no problem. The item gives him a small amount of armor, a bit of hp and most importantly 455 mana and 150% mana regen, plus a hard disable which gives him huge solo kill potential and makes him useful in team fights even against BKB carries (if you can get it off).

I feel like stacking mana regen items on Timber is the most effective way to run the hero if you aren't needing to be a semi carry, or need to pick up a situational BKB or something, as all you really need to do is spam your spells and stay alive and you do huge damage - add a hard disable to that and you are practically unstoppable.

Like I said, if you are behind then get a halberd, but if ahead I think Scythe should be considered pretty much core after Bloodstone, in a similar way to Puck after blink.

I guess I just kind of find it annoying, since you basically need someone to pick a sheep up every game and since supports generally struggle to buy it and his hero has the ability to farm it fairly easily, it just seems like a natural thing and instead he spends 4000 gold on a Halberd instead.

Am I right here? Or is Halberd a better item in more ways than I'm describing?
I don't think you always need sheep after Bloodstone and your math is really off on the Halberd EHP: it's 20*19=380 more hp and then there is the 25% evasion that can boost your ehp by a lot. The active is also good, obviously most times Sheep stick is still gonna be better.
edit: actually you're talking about Sheep vs Halberd on the EHP point, carry on.
I can attest for this, Rael solomid autowin except when he play against me :(

Mid against Milkman as a dp vs his viper on 200 ms. Fuck yeah i got owned.

Halberd on Timber isn't bad per say, but much more situational in my mind. If the game isn't going horribly shit and you can farm a Scythe, that's a way better option. Sheep > Disarm for a handful of reasons, Timber doesn't really need evasion due to reactive armor, and the more mana/mana regen you have on him the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom