• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT3| #BetterThenEllenPudge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Shrapnel is more like crapnel. You don't have the mana to constantly supplement it when you could just be doing Assassinate instead. It's slow is only 30% on level 4. Why take that when you can just be Headshotting them? The damage is good, sure, it's a lot if someone stands there and takes it, but who is going to do that for NINE SECONDS?! So really you're going to maybe get 100 damage on someone from it and that's it.

The only things it's good at are damaging towers (if you can't just right click them), giving you vision, and a little bit of area denial, but even then people won't be afraid to just walk through it if it's standing in their way. It's not like it's an Earth Splitter or Black Hole.

Crapnel is only worth putting one point in.

ElyrionX

I agree. Shrapnel is a useless skill. But then again, Sniper is a useless hero. So it fits, I guess.

Too bad because I really like the hero too. He is definitely in need of an overhaul.

GorillaJu

Shrapnel is more like crapnel. You don't have the mana to constantly supplement it when you could just be doing Assassinate instead. It's slow is only 30% on level 4. Why take that when you can just be Headshotting them? The damage is good, sure, it's a lot if someone stands there and takes it, but who is going to do that for NINE SECONDS?! So really you're going to maybe get 100 damage on someone from it and that's it.

The only things it's good at are damaging towers (if you can't just right click them), giving you vision, and a little bit of area denial, but even then people won't be afraid to just walk through it if it's standing in their way. It's not like it's an Earth Splitter or Black Hole.

It gives vision, slows, hurts towers, has a huge range, and there are basically 0 instances where the "X ability is better than Y, so why would you ever cast Y?" logic holds any weight in Dota.

Chris R

You need to play on my trash tier level.

The best is when someone charges you and you pop Pugna's drain. They get 3/4 the way to you and then decide to try to run away. So silly (but fun :p )

Hylian7

It gives vision, slows, hurts towers, has a huge range, and there are basically 0 instances where the "X ability is better than Y, so why would you ever cast Y?" logic holds any weight in Dota.

My argument wasn't "Why would you ever cast Y?" but "Why would you ever max Y before X?" In this case Headshot or Take Aim (in some situations) are both better to max than Shrapnel. It's only worth getting one point and the main draw of that is the vision.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm a long time League player who has only dabbled in Dota 2 (~ 140 matches total, some bot games). I've recently decided that outside of games w/friends I'm pretty much done with League and focusing solely on Dota 2. I still feel pretty noobish and have quite a bit to learn. I was/am Gold 1 in League so I feel like it's only fair to expect myself to eventually be somewhat decent at Dota 2.

So yeah, my real question is who to go for learning? I'm cool with youtube series or articles. I'm honestly not interested in watching complete games or watching streams. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for maybe stuff you've seen/read in the past. Blind practice without actually trying to apply some knowledge isn't that fun imo.

Edit: I have the general basics down (though the jungle still remains a mystery). I guess I'm just interested in more hero specific guides. On League a lot of people used a site called mobafire but the guides were iffy. I'm assuming there's something like that for Dota 2 but a bit better, like LoLpro. And yeah I've seen some talk in this thread already. 4.1 is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Goodbuy champs, $10 palette swaps and flash on everyone. Hello all unlocked heroes and no runes/masteries/ss :)

Mordeccai

Took up Storm Spirit recently and he's so much fun to play as. Once I got comfortable using static remnant to last hit I got WAY better cs. It's ridiculous how easy it is to clear creep waves or block the next wave from coming to an enemys tower with this hero.

When I'm solo queing, all I want to do is farm middle until I get at least mana boots and perserverence, then I don't mind roaming/ganking for a vitality and point booster. Lanes often bitch and yell that mid is useless by not ganking, but my line of thinking is it's better in a pub match to get my bloodstone up ASAP than run into failed ganks with idiot team mates. Is this line of thinking sound?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I agree. Shrapnel is a useless skill. But then again, Sniper is a useless hero. So it fits, I guess.

Too bad because I really like the hero too. He is definitely in need of an overhaul.

HoN basically fixed sniper. Turned Shrapnel into a proper instant AoE nuke/slow. Flint Beastwood was one of the most fun and best HoN dota ports. Hell, I hate sniper and I even played the shit out of Flint. Doesn't hurt that he had so much more swag. Anyway, here's to hoping Icefrog realizes this and makes Sniper more like Flint just like he made SB more like Rampage without directly copying. Rampage was always better because of his guaranteed bash, especially the way you can guarantee first hit bashes off of ganks. Attaching greater bash to charge produced a similar effect.

GorillaJu

My argument wasn't "Why would you ever cast Y?" but "Why would you ever max Y before X?" In this case Headshot or Take Aim (in some situations) are both better to max than Shrapnel. It's only worth getting one point and the main draw of that is the vision.

Because if the enemy team just face rolls you every time you try to auto attack them, like they will in most games as sniper, you don't want to be right clicking and hoping for procs.

F!ReW!Re

Took up Storm Spirit recently and he's so much fun to play as. Once I got comfortable using static remnant to last hit I got WAY better cs. It's ridiculous how easy it is to clear creep waves or block the next wave from coming to an enemys tower with this hero.

When I'm solo queing, all I want to do is farm middle until I get at least mana boots and perserverence, then I don't mind roaming/ganking for a vitality and point booster. Lanes often bitch and yell that mid is useless by not ganking, but my line of thinking is it's better in a pub match to get my bloodstone up ASAP than run into failed ganks with idiot team mates. Is this line of thinking sound?

You forgo ganking as a mid to secure a bloodstone on SS?
Wut!?

Bloodstone may seem great for a Storm, but Orchid or Sheepstick is where it's at.
It'll give you nice (and much needed) mana regen and it will make you a real solo threat with the silence + extra damage. (Not to mention it fucks over heroes that have an build in escape like: NP, riki, bh, AM, etc)

Storm is one of the great ganking mid heroes.
Just get rune control and keep ganking left and right.
Will get you your much needed gold and levels easier then just hanging around mid and not contributing anything.

bounchfx

Yeah man. Storm Spirit is pretty great. He's glassy as hell but you can wreck stuff once you get a hang of him.

So yeah, my real question is who to go for learning? I'm cool with youtube series or articles. I'm honestly not interested in watching complete games or watching streams. Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for maybe stuff you've seen/read in the past. Blind practice without actually trying to apply some knowledge isn't that fun imo.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PurgeGamers

Purge is usually the go-to guy for completely new players but his videos are good for more experienced players as well.

ElyrionX

HoN basically fixed sniper. Turned Shrapnel into a proper instant AoE nuke/slow. Flint Beastwood was one of the most fun and best HoN dota ports. Hell, I hate sniper and I even played the shit out of Flint. Doesn't hurt that he had so much more swag. Anyway, here's to hoping Icefrog realizes this and makes Sniper more like Flint just like he made SB more like Rampage without directly copying. Rampage was always better because of his guaranteed bash, especially the way you can guarantee first hit bashes off of ganks. Attaching greater bash to charge produced a similar effect.

Please stop writing in moon language

Hylian7

Arcanes and Bloodstone are trap items. You need to go Bottle, Treads, into Orchid to actually have some more utility and this gives you ganking ability. Storm is really a right clicker. You do your spells to proc overload and want to be able to go spell > right click > spell > right click > and so on. Treads give you the Attack Speed to do this efficiently.

Because if the enemy team just face rolls you every time you try to auto attack them, like they will in most games as sniper, you don't want to be right clicking and hoping for procs.

Tell that to Phantom Assassin, Faceless Void, Chaos Knight, Slardar, Spirit Breaker, Lone Druid, and more.

Even if you do max Crapnel, no one is going to stand in it long enough for it to have much damage that you could be getting from Headshots and just right clicking them from a safe distance. It only needs one point and can be maxed last.

ElyrionX

So I'm a long time League player who has only dabbled in Dota 2 (~ 140 matches total, some bot games). I've recently decided that outside of games w/friends I'm pretty much done with League and focusing solely on Dota 2. I still feel pretty noobish and have quite a bit to learn. I was/am Gold 1 in League so I feel like it's only fair to expect myself to eventually be somewhat decent at Dota 2.

Edit: I have the general basics down (though the jungle still remains a mystery). I guess I'm just interested in more hero specific guides. On League a lot of people used a site called mobafire but the guides were iffy. I'm assuming there's something like that for Dota 2 but a bit better, like LoLpro. And yeah I've seen some talk in this thread already. 4.1 is the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Goodbuy champs, $10 palette swaps and flash on everyone. Hello all unlocked heroes and no runes/masteries/ss :)

Dotafire has some good guides. Dota 2 subreddit also has threads called hero discussion of the day every other day and I found them to be fairly informative.

However, I find that I typically learn the most by viewing in-game replays of pros playing the heroes I want to learn. The easiest way to do this would be to search for the hero in datdota and see which recent matches pros have used him in. Unfortunately, most in-game replays of tournament matches cannot be accessed for free so you are only limited to the very few available. Somewhat fortunately, MLG Colombus, is one of the biggest recent tournaments and its replays are all still available for free. Just look up MLG Colombus on datdota and find the match IDs of the matches you want to watch and use that to search for the replay in the Dota 2 client. Of course this only applies if the hero you like was in the meta then.

Probably the best overall guide to cover a lot of the basics and some advanced tactics etc http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
As someone said earlier, Purge also has a youtube channel that covers the basics and he also explains the type of hero he is playing and the reason he chose the items he is buying.
Helped me out a lot when I started.

Radec

I'm so tempted to buy that LC Arcana since i've been playing her for like 10 games in a row now. Such a beast of a hero. The perfect anti-carry.

Sanjay

Shrapnel is more like crapnel. You don't have the mana to constantly supplement it.

I saw a Sniper go soulring first item & max shrapnel in the offlane. His tower was one of the last remaining outer towers to fall and when he hit 6 he must have been a pain to lane against.

What a player.

Hylian7

I saw a Sniper go soulring first item & max shrapnel in the offlane. His tower was one of the last remaining outer towers to fall and when he hit 6 he must have been a pain to lane against.

What a player.
I'm gonna guess the people he lanes against were extremely bad or dual melee and ill-suited to deal with him.

Alright, I just had the dumbest most exciting game of my Dota life. 3200 mmr, 130+ total kills and our ancient was down to like 231hp at one point. I barely killed Centaur and saved the game for us and we went on to win 5 minutes later after a major fight in their base. Holy. Shit.

Amazing.

I was paired with all south americans, and tree went MoM and AC after I already had AC, made me rage so hard.

2048x1152.resizedimage

Final score

2048x1152.resizedimage

dmshaposv

Its only dangerous if you log in with ur steam details, as i did.

And its kinda what someone said above. I was about to trade with someone, pressed the link and didnt pay too much attention the url they provided me and got fucked. :(

In any case I wanted to give a heads-up to you guys.

Look at my steam trade history on what this motherfucker stole from my inventory:

http://imgur.com/sG5xDZ6

motherfucker in question: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fsdfgasdgadsgdsa (avoid him on Dota trade sites)

So its been 5 days since this happened, and Steam support hasn't replied back through mail or addressed the ticket/question thing. The violating account is still active.

Is it common for Steam Support to never reply back or something? I've never dealt with them before but the fact I didn't even get a confirmation mail of them working on the situation doesn't fill me with confidence that they even care about my problem. :/

F!ReW!Re

So its been 5 days since this happened, and Steam support hasn't replied back through mail or addressed the ticket/question thing. The violating account is still active.

Is it common for Steam Support to never reply back or something? I've never dealt with them before but the fact I didn't even get a confirmation mail of them working on the situation doesn't fill me with confidence that they even care about my problem. :/

I opened 2 tickets before and I think I got a reply within 1 or 2 days if I remember correctly.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
4.1 patch notes

" These changes are for Summoner’s Rift only. With these changes, we want to tackle the 2v1 lane swaps that many competitive teams have adopted in order to shut down enemy laners while also taking quick objectives. Initiating a 2v1 lane swap to shut down an opponent should have inherent risks, like leaving your bottom tower vulnerable to early pushes. Outer turrets no longer gain bonus armor and magic resist for the first eight minutes of the game. Top and middle lane outer turrets now have 20 damage reduction from champion basic attacks"

rugioh

Banned
Shrapnel is underrated.

Somewhat unrelated, but everyone seems to say you can just flat out walk over sniper in lane with most mids QoP/Storm/TA blah blah blah. Do you just get in close and trade right clicks? My problem is that he's always pushing the wave in a way that he has the creep advantage so I never feel comfortable manfighting him.. and I just keep getting chipped out.

Demoli

Went mid vs a Kotl yesterday. In pub games where people don't gank, dude is outright hair pulling annoying. constant wave pushing and harass, increadibly fast mek and i'm unable to gank because the otherwise the tower would go down. I haven't so annoyed at dota ever since I went against a brewmaster as Sylla.

fiore

Banned

You need to use shrapnel as a counter

Gxgear

Looking at the workshop, this Chinese New Year update is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Headshot is much more useless if you think about it. 4 points for 36 effective damage (40% of 90) is a total waste when the truly useful part of the skill is the ministun. Shrapnel on the other hand helps push waves without you being there, provides safe sieging, and of course the vision.

xKebob

If someone doesn't mind could anyone take a look at my replay vs sniper, just the first 10 mins or so and give me some tips on how to be more aggressive vs. him? I think I played way too passive and got frustrated and lost a lane that I shouldn't have as QoP vs. Sniper mid

http://dotabuff.com/matches/469265028

You were simply afraid, you backed out from creep equilibrium way too much.
I think when u had lv 2 all you had to do is just blink and Q him,if he manfights you win(Q alone is 200 magic damage,he's squish,you have more right click damage) after that when u had scream you could just blink scream + Q(i forget the name :p), he didnt have regen in lane so every time like this he wouldve gone to base or died.
You should also practice last hitting,sniper should'nt be outlasthitting a qop.
Also watch this video, you'd learn a lot(practice the aggro thing - it's really important)

BeesEight

No one going to mention the in-game guides?

I know they're questionable and sketchy as hell, but they're essentially a built in mobafire. In the top left corner you should see a little book icon when you're loaded into a game. Clicking that will give you a list of guides and their ratings. The guides will change the in-game store recommended item lists and will highlight skills to level up with the author's explanation for why he goes that build. With this system, I don't see any reason someone would check out some online sites.

That said - Dota 2 is far more malleable than League. The more important thing about using the guides is that they're recommendations and shouldn't be held up as some sort of gold standard of play. They can give you an idea of the thought processes someone goes through when choosing how to level his abilities and buy his items. But it's important to develop an understanding of what everything does so you are capable of making those decisions on your own during a game to respond to how each match develops individually.

The worst thing you can do is fall into a set "I'm playing this hero so I will always buy X, Y and Z and skill in this specific pattern." You need to read and judge a match in Dota 2 to be able to play accordingly to your opponents. As an example, EternalEnvy in a recent tournament went with a highly unorthodox item choice (Blink Dagger - which gives a hero the flash ability so long as they aren't hit by an enemy) on Clinkz and his team ended securing first place in the tournament. Reactionary calls and creativity are more important than optimizing numerical attributes.

Also, welcome and good luck! Now I'm curious what changes happened to League.

rugioh

Banned
You were simply afraid, you backed out from creep equilibrium way too much.
I think when u had lv 2 all you had to do is just blink and Q him,if he manfights you win(Q alone is 200 magic damage,he's squish,you have more right click damage) after that when u had scream you could just blink scream + Q(i forget the name :p), he didnt have regen in lane so every time like this he wouldve gone to base or died.
You should also practice last hitting,sniper should'nt be outlasthitting a qop.
Also watch this video, you'd learn a lot(practice the aggro thing - it's really important)

Thanks for the tips, I'll work on my lasthitting with qop and try to be more aggressive with scream+shadowstrike early on. I'm still new to her so I'm not sure how aggressive I can be with her yet

shira

Meanwhile EternalEnvy is playing tryhard pubs Naga for hours. I want to see first ban of Alliance :O

If Alliance watched any Speed replays just lockdown EE early and ban mirana.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they added the Tvdotto bearcoon for bulldog for some advanced advertising.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in my tier (~3200) think LC is imbalanced. She really isn't, just don't let her get easy kills early game and build up a free rapier in kills and she's sunk.

Reminds me a lot of PL, a hero that is fine but has a bad rep for being overpowered because people don't know how to stop an avalanche while it's still a snowflake.

I really doubt IF nerfs her, if not actually buffs her

Speaking of Playdota and the Dev Forums there's been some crossover lately. A number of threads people have posted in both whining about the mute system or how Dota 2 is dead or other such nonsense.

G.ZZZ

LC gonna be buffed, OO in particular's pretty useless as of now. Should be less about damage and a bit more about buffs. Like nerf or remove damage, but add 3% slow for each unit in it just like it give you 3% ms. Or give the MS bonus as an buff around you, not only to you.

52club

I don't think I've ever heard anyone in my tier (~3200) think LC is imbalanced. She really isn't, just don't let her get easy kills early game and build up a free rapier in kills and she's sunk.

Reminds me a lot of PL, a hero that is fine but has a bad rep for being overpowered because people don't know how to stop an avalanche while it's still a snowflake.

I really doubt IF nerfs her, if not actually buffs her

Speaking of Playdota and the Dev Forums there's been some crossover lately. A number of threads people have posted in both whining about the mute system or how Dota 2 is dead or other such nonsense.

They did nerf pl a bit and gave other heroes better counters.

LC seems like an easy mode for new players. At my MMR (3700) she isn't picked that much. I think this is because she is so boring to play, and can be countered pretty easily. Add in the fact her ult can cut either way, well I think she will stay as is.

KingKong

really the only heroes I'd want nerfed are Alchemist, Death Prophet and maybe Veno

oh and visage so I dont have to see him in every single pro game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom