• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

I played a match with Dissonance when I was trying to get a hold of the real basics (intuitive button-presses,) went with Tidehunter as I was told he's great for noobs, and went 0-14. Must have looked like I was feeding on purpose, everything I did was wrong. Item-buying, item-use, positioning, initiating, pushing, defending, ability-order, ability-use. All of it was beyond terrible. Genuinely would have been much more useful if I'd disconnected.

Tidehunter is easy to play but to hard to master type of hero I guess. I wouldn't recommend someone new to the game to play Tidehunter considering how crucial his ultimate really is during teamfight, unless that newcomer actually want to play as an initiator.

alakazam.gif

Q: Psybeam - Shoots a beam of psychic energy which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time. The targeted unit has its movement speed slowed for 15 seconds.
W: Teleport - Short distance teleportation that allows Alakazam to move in and out of combat.
E: Psychic - Alakazam lets loose a piercing shock of psychic energy around him, damaging nearby enemies.
R: Psywave - Creates a gigantic wave of psychic energy in front of Alakazam, dealing heavy damage to all enemy units in its wake.

garchomp.gif

Q: Earthquake - Slams the ground, stunning and damaging nearby enemy units.
W: Double-Edge - Garchomp strikes a mighty blow at melee range, damaging both himself and the target.
E: Rough Skin - Garchomp immediately counters every attack, damaging the attacker based on a percentage of Garchomp's strength.
R: Dragon Dance - Garchomp leads all allies into a vicious charge causing them to move through units at max speed and slow enemy units they tread upon. Each enemy can be trampled once and takes damage based on Garchomp's strength.

I think my problem with this game is I can't parse what is going on screen

Does my age have something to do with this? I'm 28 and I just lose all sight of what's going on after I use my first spell

I'm ranked 2600s

Ketch

I think my problem with this game is I can't parse what is going on screen

Does my age have something to do with this? I'm 28 and I just lose all sight of what's going on after I use my first spell

I'm ranked 2600s

It just takes some time to get familiar with everything. The more you learn the heroes, and the more you begin to expect things to happen, the easier it is to recognize whats happening and keep track of it.

But muh damage.

I figured the attack speed wouldn't be too effective until your carries come online, and it also seems like a spell you should constantly be spamming on folks to make sure they have it applied (like Lich's ice armor), and you don't have the mana for that until later. Also, ignite does do some solid damage.

EDIT: also is orb of venom on ogre magi legit? Someone I play with swears by it.

Seems I see a Riki or Bloodseeker in every match

they batter me every time, even with Dust of Appearance and Town Portals (though I always forget to use the latter) :(

Ketch

they batter me every time, even with Dust of Appearance and Town Portal's (though I always forget to use the latter) :(

build team armor items like mek, vlads, shivas, ac... eul's and force staff are also nice although you have to be careful not to force staff your self under rupture. You can also just TP if you're fast enough when either one of them decides to jump you.

That popped up a question in my head: How do you guys usually play with? Is it solo queue or you won't play unless you have someone else?

I never solo queue. I can always find a group in the gaf or giant bomb chatrooms, and they are often cool people. If I enjoyed playing with people, I'll ask if I can add them on steam. Over time, I've built up a few dozen people, so there are usually people online I can play with.

they batter me every time, even with Dust of Appearance and Town Portals (though I always forget to use the latter) :(

If there are strong gankers on the enemy team like those (you'll learn to identify them eventually, but for now just keep a look out for sneaky looking dudes with dual knives), avoid going out there alone. Stick with your team (or ask your team to stick with you), so the enemy can't pick you off easily. If the enemy relies on invisibility to jump on you and slip away, ask your supports to buy sentry wards and dust of appearance, and/or buy them yourself.

I also prioritize Ignite over Bloodlust and it works good for me. I never tried bloodlust first. Can anyone share their experience with the other build?

It's easy pickup once you stun plus ignite someone. Better if multicast proc-ed.

garchomp.gif

Q: Earthquake - Slams the ground, stunning and damaging nearby enemy units.
W: Double-Edge - Garchomp strikes a mighty blow at melee range, damaging both himself and the target.
E: Rough Skin - Garchomp immediately counters every attack, damaging the attacker based on a percentage of Garchomp's strength.
R: Dragon Dance - Garchomp leads all allies into a vicious charge causing them to move through units at max speed and slow enemy units they tread upon. Each enemy can be trampled once and takes damage based on Garchomp's strength.
I never thought of Garchomp as a Centaur clone. I always figured he'd be a carry.

I never thought of Garchomp as a Centaur clone. I always figured he'd be a carry.

Garchomp is usually played like a game-ending powerhouse (like carries in dota), but the moveset just made sense for Centaur. Plus, Garchomp is one of the tankier sweepers due to his solid defensive stats and awesome defensive typing.

Zeknurn

9 game win streak over because some shithead realises that he needs to leave 20 seconds after first blood.

Thanks.

edit: In the second game I get a Dazzle and Sand King that just sits in my safe lane soaking the xp I need for a quick level 6 as Riki. I kept telling them to roam and stack/pull creeps but they didn't do anything. The Dazzle was muted which didn't surprise me. GG enforced 50/50

Oh well, at least I had 7 evenly matched games before these. Now it's back to every game being over before 15 minutes.

elyetis

yeah, sometimes creep equilibrium is wack, like they will spawn two sieges and a bunch on ranged creeps without anyone doing anything, why is that?
It's not random : http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Creep

Mechanics

Lane creeps spawn behind their team's barracks if they're still standing, or from the top of the ramps leading into their team's base if they have been destroyed, every 30 seconds. The first wave of creeps has 3 melee creeps and 1 ranged creep, and every seventh wave will have a siege creep (starting at 3:00.) At 17:30, 34:00, and 50:30, an extra melee creep is added. At 45:30, an extra ranged creep is added. At 48:30, an extra siege creep is added to every seventh wave. Prior to 7:30, the safe-lane creeps have 406 movement speed for 15 seconds after they spawn while the corresponding hard-lane creeps have 243 movement speed for 15 seconds after they spawn.

Every 7 minutes 30 seconds, melee and ranged creeps will receive permanent damage and health bonuses. The maximum number of bonuses is 30, which will happen at 3:45:00, or alternatively after all enemy barracks are destroyed.

Zeth

yeah, sometimes creep equilibrium is wack, like they will spawn two sieges and a bunch on ranged creeps without anyone doing anything, why is that?

In practice matches if I use -startgame with less than 30 seconds left the first wave usually has 2 ranged creeps.

Edit: on both sides- all lanes.

how the fuck does ogre magi multicast work. I went like 2 and 12 last night trying to play a more active support, didnt help even the Terrorblade on my team was feeding.

Jex

For whatever reason, in practice matches without bots I've often seen extra range creeps spawn in certain waves for no reason at all. If you just sit in an empty game you'll find the creep waves pushing towards your tower even though they shouldn't.

Raytow

For whatever reason, in practice matches without bots I've often seen extra range creeps spawn in certain waves for no reason at all. If you just sit in an empty game you'll find the creep waves pushing towards your tower even though they shouldn't.
Does the game send more creeps from the losing side?(the one with less towers) sometimes it looks like that.

Pratfall

how the fuck does ogre magi multicast work. I went like 2 and 12 last night trying to play a more active support, didnt help even the Terrorblade on my team was feeding.

It measures your MMR at the time of casting and uses that to determine the number of multicasts. The higher your MMR, the more multicasts. EZ game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So the summer sale starts in a week, we should get some update for dota by that time. Should at least be a new chest, but it would also be a good time to push new content.

Also dire doesn't always win, just usually

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So the summer sale starts in a week, we should get some update for dota by that time. Should at least be a new chest, but it would also be a good time to push new content.

Also dire doesn't always win, just usually
Compendium and Compendium points 25% off, 15 million achieved

I feel like the only content that could really come before TI at this point would be the SF rework. Lost hope on the Pit Lord/Oracle hype train, and the compendium hint killed my Techies 4th of July event theory. Valve being busy with summer sale early kind of only complicates that.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Seems like a lot of caster/analyst booking stuff is coming out of Valve today. Pyrion and Blitz both had something to say on Twitter.

elyetis

Most companies I'd agree, but Valve members seem to wear all hats. I don't think it's as simple as this guy is a designer, and this guy is a steam team member only.
Yeah I know, but what I mean is that I expect their back office application to be well made at this point, allowing minimal input to deal with their sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom