• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randdalf

Apparently Wraith King isn't actually played as a carry in competitive games but as support? How?

He has a great stun and his ultimate is a really powerful slow. I've seen EG play him as an initiator, who then attempts to die as quickly as possible in order to apply the slow to a group of enemies.

He has a great stun and his ultimate is a really powerful slow. I've seen EG play him as an initiator, who then attempts to die as quickly as possible in order to apply the slow to a group of enemies.

Interesting. Though what stops the enemy from just not attacking you during the team fight? Or is his damage, even when not built as a carry, respectable enough to make him unignorable?

aeolist

Banned
Interesting. Though what stops the enemy from just not attacking you during the team fight? Or is his damage, even when not built as a carry, respectable enough to make him unignorable?

his lifesteal helps the whole team and he's always throwing out the stun

if he gets the jump on you a lot of the time he doesn't even die before you lose the fight

kazabi

Mister Bulldong drinking one of my fav beers
eVlttx5.jpg
so majestic

Are people supposed to do that? Wouldn't that mean leaving a lane entirely abandoned for a good amount of time (depending on how far you had to travel)?

Yup, this is applicable more likely after the laning phase is over. This is important when warding enemy jungle or anything on the other side of the map

Two questions regarding AA

1 - How are you supposed to position yourself in late game scenarios? I'm sometimes conflicted between being with your team and being as far away as possible to maximize ult.

2- Should you ever use chilling touch late game? I know the skill is great early game but I assume it would be detrimental to use late game?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1 - How are you supposed to position yourself in late game scenarios? I'm sometimes conflicted between being with your team and being as far away as possible to maximize ult.
You should be close enough to Chilling Touch/Vortex, only using Cold Feet on the closest targets. At short range, you need to actually aim your ult so you can't rely on screen-side hitboxes.
2- Should you ever use chilling touch late game? I know the skill is great early game but I assume it would be detrimental to use late game?

Yes, the DPS you gain from touch is bananas. It will always outweigh the attack penalty except in very fringe cases where you need one or two more hits.

LC.jpg
xp8CYgx.jpg

Shinypogs

I am the worst slark on the face of the planet :(
I landed like maybe a third of my pounces on a target, otherwise I always overshot or undershot. I will never take good Slarks for granted again, ty for teaching me this lesson daily challenge.

I've been using dotaflame to get up to speed on heroes I'm unfamiliar with and it's doing wonders for my pub game.

Why not take her for a spin in bot games?

Don't go jungle.

Get blink.

Be very careful about when to duel.

I am familiar with all heroes and I think I have an idea how she works. The only hero I think I can't play directly with people is Ember and Earth spirit.

Just won the game. I just followed the usual set of guide though I jungled. I feel like she is a slow jungler.

I was surprised to know she is a fun hero to use. It's fun to duel enemies you know you will absolutely win against. I have an impression that you should gank with your ult as soon as you hit level 6 but my problem is I dont have blink by that time.

The bonus damage acquired from duel is no joke. Now I can see why we lost to an LC months ago wherein we were winning by a huge margin but she's picking heroes occasionally. We were wiped out when we attempted Roshan and she straight throned us.

Edit: Also, I liked her overall concept. Her voice acting is topnotch too.

Haly

I have an impression that you should gank with your ult as soon as you hit level 6 but my problem is I dont have blink by that time.
Smoke, positioning, runes.

There's thing you can do as LC to gank before Blink and your instinct is right in that you should not delay it unless there are absolutely no gank targets and gank paths available.

Do I want auto attack on or off? I feel like I sometimes want it on so I dont have to micromanage illusions as much when I just want them to blindly attack creeps.

Haly

Do I want auto attack on or off? I feel like I sometimes want it on so I dont have to micromanage illusions as much when I just want them to blindly attack creeps.

It comes down to preference. If you're precise or looking to be as precise as possible, leave it off. If you just want to zone out and do your thing, leave it on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm on tilt with these losses. Really should buckle down for pub hero picks I think.
Compendium will be the death of me, I can't even grind out my wins if I just lose 4 in a row. Plus 2 stupid AD games that were a complete waste of time.

I think like 3 games I had to wait for the team to end and wasted another 15m.
Off, just attack move if you want to clear

Off, just attack move if you want to clear

attack move?

Also is their any specific keyboard setup most good players use? Or is it personal preference? I have one that works for me, but I don't do any micromanagement at all which limits me to heroes that don't use illusions/clones/summon monsters.

I am familiar with all heroes and I think I have an idea how she works. The only hero I think I can't play directly with people is Ember and Earth spirit.

They are very different and both can be very effective if played right, I think Ember more than Earth. I haven't seen a solid Earth Spirit player in weeks.

Just won the game. I just followed the usual set of guide though I jungled. I feel like she is a slow jungler.

It's hit or miss. I've had games with amazingly fast farm as LC, and games where I felt like a snail until the 10-12 minute mark. Sometimes you get bad creep camps, or have to wade through gank attempts, or have to help your safelane a lot. I still believe the only hero with a guaranteed fast jungle is Batrider, and Enigma is a damn close second.

I was surprised to know she is a fun hero to use. It's fun to duel enemies you know you will absolutely win against. I have an impression that you should gank with your ult as soon as you hit level 6 but my problem is I dont have blink by that time.

Always duel people you are guaranteed to kill, or at least try to. I've gotten some duels off on people a quarter second before they die just for the free damage. I see a lot of people initiate with duel which seems to risky, if the other team is baiting you (which with an LC they probably will try) you end up just feeding damage to heroes on their team. As for a Blink at 6, I don't think most people do have one unless they are playing her safelane with good farm. If you're jungling stay alive and try and get a Blink asap, but it's not absolutely required before you start gankin, just helps a ton.

Haly

attack move?

Also is their any specific keyboard setup most good players use? Or is it personal preference? I have one that works for me, but I don't do any micromanagement at all which limits me to heroes that don't use illusions/clones/summon monsters.

Mostly personal preference, although to really maximize your hero pool you want at least 1-2 accessible control groups. Rarely will you need more than 2 unless you're playing like Meepo or Akke-Chen.

Basics:

Ability binds: QWERDF
Items: 123456 or Alt+QWEASD (not recommended for new players, only people used to it) or ZXCVBN or Mouse 3/4
Select Hero: 3
Control Group 1: 1
Control Group 2: 2
Select Courier: Z/X/C
Purchase Sticky: -
Purchase Quickbuy: =

For the most part, you want to make sure that you can reach all your abilities and items while minimizing how far your hand moves away from your ability row. You want to have quick access to A (Force Attack/Attack Move) and S (Stop). I use 3 for Select Hero, 1 and 2 as my main control groups, and C for courier, allowing me to micro courier at a moment's notice without ever taking my ring and middle finger off of Q and W.

You can actually bind Select Hero anywhere you want but the most important thing is that you are able to press it without messing up. If your hand needs to contort to double tap and lock onto your hero, you're doing it wrong. This is why it's 3 for me, since my middle finger is usually on E so it's only a slight shift away. Generally, it's easier for your fingers to move upwards accurately than downwards. Similarly, I don't want Select Courier near Select Hero because tapping those buttons can mean very different things in a game and it's not a place where you want ambiguity.

Regarding items, Akke is right in saying that one button tap is better than two. He's used to ALT+QWEASD, so am I. So are a lot of people I play with and we all do well. But if you're just starting out, I recommend binding to some other nearby keys (again, with a preference for moving upwards rather than downwards since your Items are an extension of your Skills and should therefore be as easily accessible). Some players like to use Mouse 3/4/5 for those. My mouse control isn't so great so I shy away from mouse binds but if you're an MMO hog you'll feel right at home binding some items to those, and having Blink bound to Mouse 4 or something puts you way ahead of someone who has it bound to ALT+Q.

Renoir

I am the worst slark on the face of the planet :(
I landed like maybe a third of my pounces on a target, otherwise I always overshot or undershot. I will never take good Slarks for granted again, ty for teaching me this lesson daily challenge.

I just wished you could point where to ponce like blink.

If your team has the other team trapped in fountain with an enormous lead for more than 5 minutes with no hero damage to structures your ancient should just blow up.

For the most part, you want to make sure that you can reach all your abilities and items while minimizing how far your hand moves away from your ability row. You want to have quick access to A (Force Attack/Attack Move) and S (Stop). I use 3 for Select Hero, 1 and 2 as my main control groups, and C for courier, allowing me to micro courier at a moment's notice without ever taking my ring and middle finger off of Q and W.

You can actually bind Select Hero anywhere you want but the most important thing is that you are able to press it without messing up. If your hand needs to contort to double tap and lock onto your hero, you're doing it wrong. This is why it's 3 for me, since my middle finger is usually on E so it's only a slight shift away. Generally, it's easier for your fingers to move upwards accurately than downwards. Similarly, I don't want Select Courier near Select Hero because tapping those buttons can mean very different things in a game and it's not a place where you want ambiguity.

Ah thanks. I've been using a weird setup.

Basically my mouse has right click, middle click, left click. And then 4 side buttons. I use WASD to move the camera, but I'm getting better at using the minimap for that so those can be changed.

Right now I basically have 4 abilities on the mouse. And the other two (for some heroes that have more than 4) were bound to Q and E.

I'll mix it up and try your suggestions. I think it would be best if I kept my abilities tied to the mouse. Though it might lead to awkwardness when I play a hero with more than 4 abilities since then I'd have 4 on the mouse and the rest off the mouse. Technically my mouse does have 3 more buttons on the top, but they are a bit awkward to press. Though I could get used to it and fit 7 abilities on my mouse and leave the rest on the keyboard on some variation of QWEASD.

Haly

Basically my mouse has right click, middle click, left click. And then 4 side buttons.
Whatever is accurate for you.
I use WASD to move the camera, but I'm getting better at using the minimap for that so those can be changed.
Try to change this as soon as possible. It is the worst control habit anyone can pick up in this game. If there was a single "wrong control scheme" in DOTA2, this would be runner up to "Locked Camera".

Right now I basically have 4 abilities on the mouse. And the other two (for some heroes that have more than 4) were bound to Q and E.
This is okay.

Though it might lead to awkwardness when I play a hero with more than 4 abilities since then I'd have 4 on the mouse and the rest off the mouse.
You'll cut down on mental errors if you have all your skills on one side or another, which is why I prefer QWERDF. Mouse buttons would be better used for items you get often that you really want to "lock in" to a particular frame of mind, like Blink, Force Staff, Mek or BKB. You'll really feel this once you move to item heavy initiators like Axe, Sven and Slardar, who have a billion Skills and a billion items and need to activate all of them in the right order. The more you can specialize your left hand and your right hand, the more they can be focused on doing their job (left hand: activate skills, right hand: move and aim) instead of figuring out which hand is doing what and when.

Technically my mouse does have 3 more buttons on the top, but they are a bit awkward to press.
Don't use those, you'll be spending too much time contorting your hand instead of controlling the mouse, which you will need to improve on as you move away from WASD camera.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've been actually thinking about control setups a fair bit.

Selecting an ability and then left-clicking to target it has been legacy in RTS for a long time. It seems to me though that in most cases, the left-click seems a little redundant. Wouldn't it be better, after getting used to it, to have whatever action the button is bound to instantly target to wherever the mouse pointer is at when the button is pressed? Seems like that'd cut down a lot on physical actions/APM and actually improve one's 'response time' by the average difference between skill activation and left clicking.

Think of the flipside scenario. Instead of right clicking to move to (or attack) something, if right clicking were to activate the 'move' command, after which you subsequently needed to left click the target/point to move to, it'd be way less efficient.

(Of course, that's the exact functionality of attack move as it is right now but that's not my point)

edit: I just realized I've essentially described Diablo from over a decade ago. Durr.

edit2: And below, huh, never even knew Quickcast existed in Dota2.

I don't think there's anything especially wrong with the default control setup for DOTA2

I guess turning on right click deny is pretty helpful, or setting up a camera drag button, but other than that I dunno

Haly

Selecting an ability and then left-clicking to target it has been legacy in RTS for a long time. It seems to me though that in most cases, the left-click seems a little redundant. Wouldn't it be better, after getting used to it, to have whatever action the button is bound to instantly target to wherever the mouse pointer is at when the button is pressed? Seems like that'd cut down a lot on physical actions/APM and actually improve one's 'response time' by the average difference between skill activation and left clicking.
League and Starcraft both have this, it's called "Smart" or "Autocast". DOTA2 has it as well, under Quickcast.

I personally don't use Quickcast, although I did in League.

Why?

Skills are too important in DOTA2 to waste due to a kneejerk reaction. That's pretty much it. The brief split second that passes between "I should stun him" and "I shouldn't stun him" could make the difference between losing a team fight and winning one. In League, this is rarely the case, and in Starcraft, sheer speed is prioritized over second guessing. You can bind Cast and Quickcast to two different hotkeys, but this is too messy for me. I'd rather just make up for it with speed and foresight.

Think of the flipside scenario. Instead of right clicking to move to (or attack) something, if right clicking were to activate the 'move' command, after which you subsequently needed to left click the target/point to move to, it'd be way less efficient.

(Of course, that's the exact functionality of attack move as it is right now but that's not my point)
Attack move has another secondary behavior in DOTA2, which is "attack everything from where you are to where you A-moved". A simple right click takes you directly to the location you selected. This means if there's a creep wave between you and point B, and you right click point B, you'll move to point B first then maybe auto attack a nearby creep (I have auto attack off). If you A-move to point B, however, your hero will engage the oncoming creepwave and only reach point B after the creep wave is cleared.

This kind of A-move is used for splitpushing Illusions, and to make sure your hero attacks through fog as soon as possible.

Falk

that puzzling face
Attack move has another secondary behavior in DOTA2, which is "attack everything from where you are to where you A-moved". A simple right click takes you directly to the location you selected. This means if there's a creep wave between you and point B, and you right click point B, you'll move to point B first then maybe auto attack a nearby creep (I have auto attack off). If you A-move to point B, however, your hero will engage the oncoming creepwave and only reach point B after the creep wave is cleared.

This kind of A-move is used for splitpushing Illusions, and to make sure your hero attacks through fog as soon as possible.

I'm obviously aware of the difference between move and attack move. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom