• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Yeah that. It doesn't come with the gem, so I bought the gem and scarf seperately ($12 and $9, respectively - just 2 months ago).

Fucking valve added that impatient maiden gem in the dime-by-the-dozen CM immortal, which tanked the price of that gem from $12 down to $2. FML.

(personally I'm for reasonable prices for gems and stuff, but it hurts when you pull the trigger and valve fucks you over by changing the economy just then).

This is why I never impulse buy buy always impulse sell

Last year a buddy got 3 Kunkka Shadowblades from lockboxes. Sold 2 for $85 each

Theyre like $20 now.

When the immortals released DK and Warlock items were $6+

Theyre under 1.50 now.

Thats why I always wait

Ketch

I buy stout on tide off lane. Is that bad? I thought it could block damage that doesn't get blocked by kraken shell.

Edit: when I play exort invoker I go Midas/phase/force staff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
All his skills, except Doom, are shit and E is by far the worst.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
LVL? Death is not really good until the later parts of the game, and is generally unreliable. I have to say though, Scorched Earth is pretty good in the early game, and really does allow Doom to offlane. Devour is basically a slightly more versatile version of Greevils greed though. .

dmshaposv

I just feel lvl death is the only way to secure kills early game...especially as a mid with more levels ahead of others. You have some ganking potential.

Run down to side lanes, doom some poor fucker, and chase with W. You should be able to kill, but in case its someone who might just get away, nuke him with E.

Again, I'm just talking about how I go about leveling a mid doom. If you are on other lanes where you have quick access to jungle (or jungling), then yes maxing Q/W is the way to go.

eLaZgVs.png

Which Lion is the worst?

Top right is the best. Lion should look like a lion, not a frog.

kvk1

Kind of getting tired of all the Brew picks in competitive.

Split is becoming too much of a "get out of jail free card" ability.

Haly

I dont see why anyone would waste mana on e. Especially when you can grab a net or other useful ability to secure kills

Get Chain Lightning:

Chain Lightning
50 Mana
4 second CD
900 Range
140 Damage
4 Targets
25% damage reduction per jump

Compared to LVL? Death
110 Mana
8 seconds CD
125/175/225/275 (+ Bonus damage equal to 20% of the target's max health)
Level Multiple: 6/5/4/3 or 25

You can cast 2 Chain Lightnings for 1 LVL? Death at 2.8 DPM efficiency. Even
LVL? Death 4 has only 2.5 DPM efficiency.

Hylian7

Isn't the point of stout shield on tide to skip kraken shell so you can max out your other skills first?

Max Q and W before Putting any points in E is the most used one.

Haly pls
If you are off lane Tidehunter, why wouldn't you get one value point in Kraken Shell? This thing let's you BREAK any CC. I see no reason to get a Stout Shield over this. Even as support you want KS because the less damage you take and the less you are stunned, the more stuff you can do.

ElyrionX

This is why I never impulse buy buy always impulse sell

Last year a buddy got 3 Kunkka Shadowblades from lockboxes. Sold 2 for $85 each

Theyre like $20 now.

When the immortals released DK and Warlock items were $6+

Theyre under 1.50 now.

Thats why I always wait

Those are two very different scenarios.

The Shadowblades got devalued only because Valve began stuffing them in event chests (was it the Chinese New Year one?).

The TI4 immortals got devalued just by the mere fact of a lot more of them entering the market via more people opening TI4 chests which is the original method by which they were obtained.

It's not hard to predict the second scenario but the first one is just completely arbitrary and no one had any idea that was coming at all. It's the same thing with this summer sale. Not only did they change the way chests work but they also began discounting old chests/keys on their store, both of which has never happened before.

Like the other guy above said, I am all for cheap cosmetics. I don't buy these things to impress 12-year-old kids in-game that I can afford $50 items. I buy them because I want my favourite heroes to look good. But it's not a nice feeling to see your item slowly losing its value just because Valve is not clear or consistent on its policy regarding these things.

shira

The Shadowblades got devalued only because Valve began stuffing them in event chests (was it the Chinese New Year one?).

The TI4 immortals got devalued just by the mere fact of a lot more of them entering the market via more people opening TI4 chests which is the original method by which they were obtained.

It's not hard to predict the second scenario but the first one is just completely arbitrary and no one had any idea that was coming at all. It's the same thing with this summer sale. Not only did they change the way chests work but they also began discounting old chests/keys on their store, both of which has never happened before.

Like the other guy above said, I am all for cheap cosmetics. I don't buy these things to impress 12-year-old kids in-game that I can afford $50 items. I buy them because I want my favourite heroes to look good. But it's not a nice feeling to see your item slowly losing its value just because Valve is not clear or consistent on its policy regarding these things.
In other news DC hooks are at $270

You could have predicted the Shadowblades easily and most in this thread did. It wasn't arbitrary, they did come out with auspicious versions later, but everyone knew as soon as the ti4 shirts came back in stock that there would be more Lockless boxes.

inkls

If you are off lane Tidehunter, why wouldn't you get one value point in Kraken Shell? This thing let's you BREAK any CC. I see no reason to get a Stout Shield over this. Even as support you want KS because the less damage you take and the less you are stunned, the more stuff you can do.

Fair enough.

These dk vs ig games keep ending right when I get a chance to start watching. Feeling good about my ig bet though

Brace for comeback

Low Tier
You realize that it takes 600 dmg to break cc for level 1 kraken shell right? You get kraken shell mainly for the -damage from right clicks, as it makes the support's life much harder when you can trade for hits and win. Kraken shell and anchor smash's new 60% is what makes him such a good offlaner, and going into the lane with only lvl 1 kraken shell thinking you're not going to die is fucking retarded.

That spell only becomes noticeable after level 2, so i wouldn't suggest trying to man-up against a trilane at level 1.

Also stout shield isnt a bad purchase as kraken shell only procs if you dont block with stout, and you can just sell it once you get lvl 2 kraken shell. It's not as bad an investment as anyone's making it out to be.

Carlius

Banned
there should be a website called "what i read in captains mode chat". the most ridiculous suggestions, the most ridiculous dumb picks, dumb captains who just want wombo combos but then feed first blood. terrible.

DanSaxon

there should be a website called "what i read in captains mode chat". the most ridiculous suggestions, the most ridiculous dumb picks, dumb captains who just want wombo combos but then feed first blood. terrible.

This is why I always spam the button so I don't waste a game because of an idiot captain.

TUSR

Banned

What is your MMR? If you are low 4k and below, avoid captains mode.

This is why I always spam the button so I don't waste a game because of an idiot captain.
Said every person you're also in the mode with.
What is your MMR? If you are low 4k and below, avoid captains mode.
It's probably the easiest way to get in a game with people higher than your mmr. If you think you deserve a better mmr, get in a game, feed, realize you have a ways to go and then maybe you'll stop thinking you're good :p

Vade

Does Alliance just show up at dream hacks and then shit the bed at every other event? Now the turn in game 2; I do not understand this.

Haly

s4 regularly opens with Stout Shield, it's a good item and good early game investment that can be sold later once it's obsolete.

Hylian, aren't you the one who resists getting early branches/wand? Same deal here, it might seem inefficient to you, but the early game benefit from more stat trumps the 150g you pay for the parts. Likewise, having two sources of block trumps one for laning power.

ZeroX03

Banned

And then you get people spamming the button because they think they're great and the best player, and proceed to pick for everyone in the team without any discussion. I don't dare touch CM unless in a 4+ stack.

Quesa

Getting stout on tide lets me focus on wrecking fools with anchor smash in the offlane till I can gush and kill them. If I'm going up against a ranged trilane with three stuns like luna cm lina then yeah get kraken shell but in that case if you can see it coming tide is probably not your best offlaner.

Hylian7

You realize that it takes 600 dmg to break cc for level 1 kraken shell right? You get kraken shell mainly for the -damage from right clicks, as it makes the support's life much harder when you can trade for hits and win. Kraken shell and anchor smash's new 60% is what makes him such a good offlaner, and going into the lane with only lvl 1 kraken shell thinking you're not going to die is fucking retarded.

That spell only becomes noticeable after level 2, so i wouldn't suggest trying to man-up against a trilane at level 1.

Also stout shield isnt a bad purchase as kraken shell only procs if you dont block with stout, and you can just sell it once you get lvl 2 kraken shell. It's not as bad an investment as anyone's making it out to be.
Are you sure about that? The description says it does not stack, not stacking diminishingly line evasion. Is this really the same principle behind double Stout Axe? If that is the case that skill description is misleading.

Hylian7

s4 regularly opens with Stout Shield, it's a good item and good early game investment that can be sold later once it's obsolete.

Hylian, aren't you the one who resists getting early branches/wand? Same deal here, it might seem inefficient to you, but the early game benefit from more stat trumps the 150g you pay for the parts. Likewise, having two sources of block trumps one for laning power.
Uhh, no?

Also my argument was that it says they don't stack. So do they stack or not?

xanavi

Are you sure about that? The description says it does not stack, not stacking diminishingly line evasion. Is this really the same principle behind double Stout Axe? If that is the case that skill description is misleading.

The skill description's wording is technically correct. It doesn't stack as in you can't block 20 with stout and 10 with kraken in the same instance but leveling kraken doesn't disable the stout shield.

Haly

Uhh, no?

Also my argument was that it says they don't stack. So do they stack or not?

No, they don't stack exactly, but it uses a check list and priority system.

First, the game engine determines whether or not Stout Shield procs.
If it procs, then Tide has two sources of Damage Mitigation, Shield proc and Kraken shell.
The game will always choose the greater source of mitigation in cases like these, so Shield will take priority over Shell as Shell is at level 1.

This enables you to level 1/1/3 for maximum mana efficiency and damage without sacrificing staying power.

Also:
Hylian7 said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom