• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT5| TECHIES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

I'm trying to think of other stretch goals they could do

Maybe a second round of immortal items?
A ward?
An Arcana for the second placer of the vote?
Gabe announcer?

It seems Valve didn't expect this kind of speed at all. I wonder if they had even started development on the latter stretch goals.

They edited the stretch goals last year

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
My life is going to feel really weird once the qualifiers are over and we lose the EU hub couch cam.

Finalow

lmao so much salt by LD.

stay jelly brah

rCE0d7f.jpg

I know we talk about this every once in a blue moon, but does anyone know if Valve may take another crack at a more minimalist approach to the HUD? It feels less likely than in the past because they've been selling HUDs, but...there's just so much wasted space that could be given back to the actual game window, it frustrates the fuck out of me.

The space between the hero portrait and the minimap...the size of the area that shows the int/str/agi gain, the space between the inventory and the skill icons, the size of the skill icons, and the size of the quickbuy area all can be so much smaller. They could probably reduce the amount of the game screen the bottom HUD consumes by 50%.

It just seems like in an age of gaming where making HUDs as small and non-distracting as possible (across all genres), where other modern MOBAs like Smite, HotS, and LoL in particular have done a fine job minimizing the footprint of their respective HUDs (while retaining all necessary functionality), Valve would be interested in making sure they're not lagging behind. How much you see on your screen is so important in MOBAs in particular, I would have thought this would have been something addressed long ago.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I know we talk about this every once in a blue moon, but does anyone know if Valve may take another crack at a more minimalist approach to the HUD? It feels less likely than in the past because they've been selling HUDs, but...there's just so much wasted space that could be given back to the actual game window, it frustrates the fuck out of me.

The space between the hero portrait and the minimap...the size of the area that shows the int/str/agi gain, the space between the inventory and the skill icons, the size of the skill icons, and the size of the quickbuy area all can be so much smaller. They could probably reduce the amount of the game screen the bottom HUD consumes by 50%.

It just seems like in an age of gaming where making HUDs as small and non-distracting as possible (across all genres), where other modern MOBAs like Smite, HotS, and LoL in particular have done a fine job minimizing the footprint of their respective HUDs (while retaining all necessary functionality), Valve would be interested in making sure they're not lagging behind. How much you see on your screen is so important in MOBAs in particular, I would have thought this would have been something addressed long ago.

I can understand your frustration. The resizeable HUD in LoL was one of my favorite aspects.

I doubt Valve does anything to drastically change the HUD though.

Mohasus

The space between the hero portrait and the minimap...the space between the inventory and the skill icons and the size of the quickbuy area all can be so much smaller.

These would give even more advantage to 16:9 players.

Yeah the HUD could be smaller but IMO it wouldn't make a significant difference. Zooming out the camera would be way better.

OT5 jaysus, gaf's dota 2 community seems larger than leagues. Makes sense since dota 2 arguably has more of a hobbyist community. Also blown away by how many compendium dollars there are.

I'm not a huge fan of esports so right now I'm kind of layin low, need new heroes!

inkls

OT5 jaysus, gaf's dota 2 community seems larger than leagues. Makes sense since dota 2 arguably has more of a hobbyist community. Also blown away by how many compendium dollars there are.

I'm not a huge fan of DIGITAL SPORTS so right now I'm kind of layin low, need new heroes!

ftfy,

also, what do you mean lolgaf is smaller than dotagaf?

Granadier

He shooting bullets in this Summit game currently.

Dude needs some whiskey or something to calm him down. Way to aggressive.

My issue with Zephyr is I have absolutely no idea what they're doing with their time. They've had almost a full year of being able to focus on Dota and they're placing at the bottom of the SEA qualifiers?

And it's not just their supports that are awful - it's the entire team from the draft to the decision making. I've watched a couple of their games and it looks like pub Dota. These are guys that all live in one house with plenty of time for scrimming and team building and they're a wreck. I don't know what their training schedule is but if they're actually serious about this then they need to get their shit together. With the opportunities they've been given there is just no excuse for this style of play. Their drafts seem so disorganized and they need to start working with a plan - even if that plan is as simple as "win the laning phase."

Guess it's time they start getting some pointers from MVP.

Also, they're not a top 30 team. They're a top 40.

Well, perhaps they spend their time trying to get into a culture they are not used to? Try to make contacts? Get into the scene? Win tournaments? Is there a reason they have to justify all of this? Can't they just show what their potential is or isn't throug play?

Seriously, are there any other teams that get hate because they are confident, have some success or have a somewhat well-known caster in their ranks?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wish the Fantasy League interface had an integrated way of seeing upcoming competitive games for the week so you can easily decide how to line up your roster.

ftfy,

also, what do you mean lolgaf is smaller than dotagaf?

Assuming league's OT opened when it was released, we've been capping threads way faster. I feel that the last 3 OT's have open and closed much faster than first two. So either our dota 2 community is growing at a healthy pace or it's Shira.

Dota 2 hobbyist community?

Dota 2 is definitely not a casual game, so its only natural that the people that play Dota 2 would be more interested in talking about it on a message board.

dmshaposv

Challenge accepted!

I like minimalist graphic design. I can't create item cosmetics (have mediocre modelling skills) but would like to take a shot at creating a HUD design since I guess I could pull that off.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm trying to think of other stretch goals they could do

Maybe a second round of immortal items?
A ward?
An Arcana for the second placer of the vote?
Gabe announcer?

It seems Valve didn't expect this kind of speed at all. I wonder if they had even started development on the latter stretch goals.

I really want a Ward, it would feel a bit wierd to be like "$8.5 Million, WARDS!", but fuck it I want a ward.

► WE NEED WARDS!

dmshaposv

maybe if they keep a goal like "every compendium owner gets at least an arcana drop" at say $8 million and it could just be the lina one even, that'd be quite nice.

Might be a first arcana item for most. And honestly most people have contributed around half the price of it by now anyway.

Finalow

the fuck was that shit fnatic, rosh was almost dead and they all run away, let sven take it and then go back in to die.

sick

Granadier

Are there any open fantasy leagues out there? I missed out on the first wave when they were released.

edit: LD + Maut = one of the worst caster combos I've heard.

maybe if they keep a goal like "every compendium owner gets at least an arcana drop" at say $8 million and it could just be the lina one even, that'd be quite nice.

Might be a first arcana item for most. And honestly most people have contributed around half the price of it by now anyway.

If you want to use this logic they should only give an arcana to people who have a high enough level compendium. Like level 60-70.

Chris R

Protip of the day: If you are 5 towers up against a Spectre and PL, end the game as soon as you can.

And to think I almost AFK'd out of the game it was that bad (laned with WD, he never skilled heals, I died 4 times :( )

Acinixys

I can understand your frustration. The resizeable HUD in LoL was one of my favorite aspects.

I doubt Valve does anything to drastically change the HUD though.

From what ive heard the game doesnt even render anything behind the HUD. Its just black. So even if you mod your game with a smaller HUD you get this big black box

BeesEight

Well, perhaps they spend their time trying to get into a culture they are not used to? Try to make contacts? Get into the scene? Win tournaments? Is there a reason they have to justify all of this? Can't they just show what their potential is or isn't throug play?

Seriously, are there any other teams that get hate because they are confident, have some success or have a somewhat well-known caster in their ranks?

The "hate" is more directed at the unprofessional impression they give. Do any other teams spend their time "trying to get into a culture?" I don't even know what that means. I suspect when Maelk joined EG he still focused on improving his play. You don't need five players "making contacts" and outside of "winning tournmanets" most of these hypothesized time sinks would be better performed by the manager than the team members themselves.

There are a lot of players that have to juggle more than Zephyr is right now and still outperforming them. Hell, even MVP Phoenix is doing leagues better than Zephyr. Why the discrepancy? It's a simple handwave to just say they're "bad." Either the team is misusing their time or training poorly. Either way, if they want to be taken more seriously they really need to improve their play.

I don't believe that the majority of criticism is leveled at Zephyr just because they're successful in a scene with the lowest skill threshold or have Purge on the team. The biggest criticism seems to be that they are simply not performing as well as other top teams and showing a much slower rate of improvement. And there were certainly other teams in the past who received the exact same criticism. Red Pandas are an easy one that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom