• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 |OT7| What the fuck have they done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You really need to make something good to compete with League/Dota, or a fanbase that plays any rubbish you put out (like Blizzard).

Kade

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The site appears to be hammered, that specific page doesn't appear to be loading content.

What does it mention?

From Matt Bromberg, Group General Manager

Today, I have the unenviable task of announcing that we’ve decided to stop development of Dawngate.

I know this is disappointing news for our community, which has been so supportive and loyal. To all of you who have graciously given us your time and valuable feedback during our beta period, we’d first like to thank you.

Whenever we begin a game project, we do so with great hopes and expectations. In this case, we chose to enter a new genre for EA in MOBA, one that we knew going in was extremely competitive. We built a game in Dawngate that wasn’t simply a clone of existing MOBAs, but one that truly pushed the genre forward in many ways. Dawngate has been in beta for almost 18 months, including a full open beta for the past six months. Through that time, we’ve taken a lot of feedback from players and delivered lots of new features and innovations. And although the game has grown, we’re not seeing the progress we’d hoped for. This isn’t the outcome we wanted, but beta testing is about learning and improving, and ultimately, about making difficult decisions about how to proceed.

As for the incredibly talented team of designers, producers, engineers, and artists who have put so much creative energy into Dawngate: The game was truly a labor of love, and it shows. We’ve got nothing but gratitude for their hard work, and pride about what’s been accomplished.

As a part of the process of closing down Dawngate, we’ll continue to operate the game for the next 90 days. All players will be entitled to a full refund of any money spent during the beta. For most players, we’ll process those refunds within the next 10 days. If we don’t have current payment information on file for you, we’ll need to reach out first before initiating the refund. If you have any questions, you can reach us at help.ea.com.

On behalf of the entire team at Waystone Games and EA, I want once again to thank all our players for being part of this journey. Your straight-up feedback and the friendly reception we received all over the world at events was extremely encouraging and important to us. We appreciate it.
The subreddit is funny right now btw.

They just released a balance patch a couple of hours ago and people went from complaining about buffs/nerfs/item changes to realizing it's all meaningless.

mfaex

Phoenix denied.
Emoticon_cry.gif

Sigh, bugs.

so what's the explanation for these bugs? it seems really odd that some heroes would work and some wouldn't (even among the non-CM heroes)

Big Dog

I was just reading through Puppey's AMA and someone linked to the Dota 2 Wiki page for Oracle. He appears to have a new concept art piece that I have never seen before... I have only ever seen the icon from Dota 1 that people have as their flair. And this piece of concept art was added on November first. So it's fairly new to the internet. Wasn't sure if anyone had seen it yet.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Oracle

Edit:Hmm. I searched around real quick and am going to guess this came out as a TI poster or someone snapped a pic inside the studio itself. I hope something I am spewing is correct.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was just reading through Puppey's AMA and someone linked to the Dota 2 Wiki page for Oracle. He appears to have a new concept art piece that I have never seen before... I have only ever seen the icon from Dota 1 that people have as their flair. And this piece of concept art was added on November first. So it's fairly new to the internet. Wasn't sure if anyone had seen it yet.

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Oracle

Edit:Hmm. I searched around real quick and am going to guess this came out as a TI poster or someone snapped a pic inside the studio itself. I hope something I am spewing is correct.

Yeah, I think that was a concept art poster up at TI4 somewhere, but you can never be totally sure about those, since most didn't have the hero labeled.

I think we will get Oracle next week. TF2 event will end, and then Valve can promote the new Dota content. Looks like the PA Arcana is nearly done too, the last patch had some assists for that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Sad by that Dawngate news but I had it installed on my PC for like 6 months and never even ran the executable, so I'm not helping. It's a crowded space and publishers are realizing that the market for MOBAs won't extend far beyond the few on top, much like MMO's were/are with WoW. I hope it's not only a matter of time before Infinite Crisis gets the axe next... but then I don't even play that game often enough or contribute to its continued development monetarily, so again, I'm not helping.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I really liked the Dawngate comic, I wish DOTA had something similar.
Never installed the game, it requires Origin.

I'm pretty sure the program installed and ran without Origin. I have Origin on my PC and only started Dawngate to patch it a couple times (intending to try it but never actually doing it) but I don't think I ever had to launch Origin in order to do any of that...

Big Dog

Jesus I thought the pricing was part of the satire of infomercials but the jersey actually is 84.95$...

I thought the exact same thing. I was like wait, are they REALLY even selling this jersey at all or is this a joke. But nope. The link to their shop proves they aren't kidding. That's a lot for a jersey that no one in public will understand very well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Don't know if this would be useful for any of you, but if you have the ID of an item, you can pull it up on the market in this format and you won't get any of those stupid renamed items:
http://steamcommunity.com/market/search/?q=appid:570+prop_def_index:4007

prop_def_index is where you would put the ID. I'm now fine tuning a script to grab the prices of items off the market, then I can display a price and a link of my site. Just need to figure out how many requests a second I can do before steam starts denying me. I think things like Autographs and Prismatic gems could be a bit buggy, since it can only the first page at a time, but eh.

JC Sera

Darkhorse does a TI comic
(snip)
I've read it, its really good. The art is spectacular. But I'd like something more hero and story based like dawngate.
Also renzo is so great
I'm pretty sure the program installed and ran without Origin. I have Origin on my PC and only started Dawngate to patch it a couple times (intending to try it but never actually doing it) but I don't think I ever had to launch Origin in order to do any of that...
I only tried it after open beta, and to download and install it, it wanted to install origin first and didn't give me another option.

I really hope they recycle the characters into something else, they had a great story and personalities going.

bbd23

dunno if sarcasm but yea that techies played really well that game. we were getting split pushed hard by that morph. they could have ended it I think but he got cocky and died unnecessarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom