• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Are you playing a minimal hero pool/role or just randoming/playing whatever?
The former really. I don't touch carries in most games because I'm so poor at them. But even when playing support exclusively, my apparent skill fluctuates wildly. And it doesn't depend on the MMR bracket I stack in either. It fluctuates massively at my own MMR bracket too.

Ultrabum

The former really. I don't touch carries in most games because I'm so poor at them. But even when playing support exclusively, my apparent skill fluctuates wildly. And it doesn't depend on the MMR bracket I stack in either. It fluctuates massively at my own MMR bracket too.

I am VERY curious as to how you are measuring your apparent skill on a game by game basis. I think it can only be accurately measured over many many games.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am VERY curious as to how you are measuring your apparent skill on a game by game basis. I think it can only be accurately measured over many many games.
Based on my own assessment? I said that it feels completely out of my control. I have no sense that I'm getting better, except in lane I think I'm very marginally better because there are general rules to follow. As soon as I don't have those rules to follow and I have to fall back on my own skill and judgement I'm as bad as I've ever been.

Ultrabum

Based on my own assessment? I said that it feels completely out of my control. I have no sense that I'm getting better, except in lane I think I'm very marginally better because there are general rules to follow. As soon as I don't have those rules to follow and I have to fall back on my own skill and judgement I'm as bad as I've ever been.

I think, and this is just a guess, that your own assessment is probably not accurate enough to measure very small differences game to game.

You should use your MMR as a guess as to if you are improving, and if you want to improve your mmr, I suggest you learn to play all the roles. Just spam pick troll or jugg every game if you don't usually play carries. You will probably lose MMR at first, but in the long run it will help.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think, and this is just a guess, that your own assessment is probably not accurate enough to measure very small differences game to game.

You should use your MMR as a guess as to if you are improving, and if you want to improve your mmr, I suggest you learn to play all the roles. Just spam pick troll or jugg every game if you don't usually play carries. You will probably lose MMR at first, but in the long run it will help.
Well my MMR and win rate are also going down. I said my success from game to game feels random and it does.

Mohasus

pink player picked crystal maiden
crystal fuckin maiden
not even notail asks for crystal maiden
and the idiot thinks everything works in this game

Ultrabum

Well my MMR and win rate are also going down. I said my success from game to game feels random and it does.

Are you looking at your mmr game to game or month to month? It's going to fluctuate, and everyone has winning / losing streaks.

Also, playing support at lower mmr has a smaller impact, actually making your win rate more random imo.

I think you've hit the crux of the argument here: you need a concrete goal you can be making improvements at. I play carry pretty often and for me that goal is gpm. Each individual game performance is highly random, but putting in the last hitting practice, jungle farming rotations, better calls for what team fights to join etc means my gpm should be trending upwards over time. For supports there isn't an equivalent easy number, but you can make goals like "I will secure every rune for my mid" or "I will go to support my carry within 2 seconds of him being engaged on" Once you have quantifiable goals it's easier to keep track of whether you're getting better or not.

I have all the sick days and vacation time in the world, 3 weeks; the only issue is that you will be two days behind for everyday you take off. Welcome to the business world the only breaks you will ever know are Federal holidays and lunch.

Can't imagine ever not taking time off. I get 23 days a year and I use them and more. Usually take 5 days extra unpaid at Christmas and taking an extra two and a half weeks out of my overtime in the summer so I can take 5 weeks off in July

pink player picked crystal maiden
crystal fuckin maiden
not even notail asks for crystal maiden
and the idiot thinks everything works in this game

I wish this were the case.
I got owned once by one going for desolator as first item....
I feel so ashamed of myself ;_;

Haunted

I played a game of Dota 2 just now. First one in months.

Accidentally queued ranked solo. Got +25 points and a random drop. Valve knows how to welcome me back.

shira

When does TI stuff start?

MLG S1: Columbus April 10-12 Qualified: EG, NiP, Not Today, Rave, BBC, Empire
t1428685200z1.png

Starladder 12 & Dreamhack Bucharest April 24-26 Qualified: iG, VG, Tinker
t1429894800z1.png

May 1 TI INVITES

Red Bull Battle Grounds in SF May 10
t1431277200z1.png

Summit 3 May 13-17 Qualified: VG, Rave
t1431536400z1.png

i-League 3 May 19-24
t1432058400z1.png

TI5 Qualifiers (Last week of May)
t1432573200z1.png

MLG S2: Austin June 4-7
t1433437200z1.png

Dreamhack Jonkoping June 13-16
t1434214800z1.png

ESL-ONE Frankfurt June 20-21 Qualified: EG, VG, Secret
t1434819600z1.png

TI5 July 28- August 8
t1438106400z4.png

I'm not sure why but PPD has grown on me. Think the lack of BM all chat in matches helps. His stream is by far my favourite pro player stream.

**I can't stop laughing at this match

bbd23

MLG S1: Columbus April 10-12 Qualified: EG, NiP, Not Today, Rave, BBC, Empire
t1428685200z1.png

Starladder 12 & Dreamhack Bucharest April 24-26 Qualified: iG, VG, Tinker
t1429894800z1.png

May 1 TI INVITES

Red Bull Battle Grounds in SF May 10
t1431277200z1.png

Summit 3 May 13-17 Qualified: VG, Rave
t1431536400z1.png

i-League 3 May 19-24
t1432058400z1.png

TI5 Qualifiers (Last week of May)
t1432573200z1.png

MLG S2: Austin June 4-7
t1433437200z1.png

Dreamhack Jonkoping June 13-16
t1434214800z1.png

ESL-ONE Frankfurt June 20-21 Qualified: EG, VG, Secret
t1434819600z1.png

TI5 July 28- August 8
t1438106400z4.png

The Witcher 3
t1432008000z1.png

BeesEight

I played a game of Dota 2 just now. First one in months.

Accidentally queued ranked solo. Got +25 points and a random drop. Valve knows how to welcome me back.

Same. Barring the the ranked solo bit. Sadly, my reward was a pair of Anti-Mage pants :/

The rust is real though. I apologize pre-preemptively, team!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
hin4CxO.jpg

tfw you realise that the person who wrote the bot ai is the supercomputer AM from i have no mouth, and i must scream, who has nothing but bottomless contempt for humanity

Ties

Banned
the fact i couldnt sign up for ihl in time bc i was banned 💀

the fact i actually checked dotabuff hero trends for the first time and sniper is most chosen and second highest winrate 💀

the fact tobear is my new best friend on dota after atlantis has shamefully ditched me 💀

all these changes happen so quickly, let me c if i can procure a ti5 ticket to see if sniper can be demolished 💀

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Geez, I see you have Treant, but how can a team with Techies/Sniper/Void not take a single tower. Hell, none of them even attacked the towers, the team has 118 tower damage.

Eleuin

Techies was more concerned with perfecting his mine placement in lanes than attacking towers

Sniper and Void were just a mess in general, it should've been an easy win but man pushing high ground on the last set of rax was ridiculous

Forgot to mention that NS was one of my coworkers... He definitely contributed to prolonging the game the most :/

Wok

What I like with Dotabuff is that you can continue the rants in the comments of the game ( http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1382194334 ). I am not toxic in-game, but I cannot help to answer toxic players in comments.

Lina was muted from the start, I don't remember when I previously played with that player, but he was already toxic at that time.

I hope I get a reply to my long rant now.

I wouldn't play support at that bracket at all. I remember Merlini saying on his stream that playing support below 4.5k can make climbing MMR an insane drag. Spam Troll and Sniper until a) they are nerfed and b) you learn how to farm and how to carry. Sniper in particular is mechanically insanely easy. Troll is a little more tricky.

I was about to say a big tournament that you were missing but then I realised it hasn't been announced yet.
aaaah.gif

Your May should look this:

WePlay Dota2 League Season 3 May 1, 2015 May 3, 2015 (lol)
Red Bull Battlegrounds Playoffs May 6, 2015 May 8, 2015
Red Bull Battlegrounds May 10, 2015 May 10, 2015
D2CL Season 5 May 8, 2015 May 10, 2015
The Summit 3 May 13, 2015 May 17, 2015
i-League Season 3 May 19, 2015 May 24, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom