• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

bah, lost inhouse feelz bad
tears.gif

Arguing with 2k scrubs on Reddit is the worst shit. I honestly wish there was a visible MMR indicator in that subreddit and a strict ban for <4k players to give shit low MMR advice about the game. They'd only be allowed to post in crappy esports drama threads.

You're expecting way too much of Reddit

If I was in the 2k MMR range, I sure would be a little more humble about handing out advice about Dota 2 mechanics. Not sure wth is wrong with some people. Obviously, it shouldn't rile me up as much as it does but jeez, just accept that you are not exceptionally talented at the game and step back when a 4k comes along. What is the point in arguing with someone who is evidently far, far better at everything you do?

If I was in the 2k MMR range, I sure would be a little more humble about handing out advice about Dota 2 mechanics. Not sure wth is wrong with some people. Obviously, it shouldn't rile me up as much as it does but jeez, just accept that you are not exceptionally talented at the game and step back when a 4k comes along. What is the point in arguing with someone who is evidently far, far better at everything you do?

Their thought process: "Because mmr is broken and i am certain that I am at least 5k mmr"

Yeah when you're doing well in your own bracket it's easy to start thinking you're way better than everyone else there and don't actually belong in your bracket, I know I originally thought the same. So you go "yeah my mmr is 2k but I'm basically as good/knowledgable as a 4/5k player."

Then you stack with people better than you and you realize that no, you're just 2k.

inkls

Yeah when you're doing well in your own bracket it's easy to start thinking you're way better than everyone else there and don't actually belong in your bracket, I know I originally thought the same. So you go "yeah my mmr is 2k but I'm basically as good/knowledgable as a 4/5k player."

Then you stack with people better than you and you realize that no, you're just 2k.

I'm a 3-3.5k player in my heart ;_;

Acinixys

Ive said this to Hylian and i stand by it

Solo MMR is a stupid indicator of how good you are. You cant trust 4 brain dead potatoes to play well. Just have fun guys. Dota is a game and games are supposed to be enjoyed, not stressed over

Solo MMR is a stupid indicator of how good you are.

Why though? I think it's insanely accurate if you have a decent sample size of solo ranked games. Obviously, if you don't enjoy RMM (and I don't) then skip it but there is no way that a low 3k player is anywhere as good as I am, just as I'm nowhere near 5k+ material. I'd be cautious arguing with a 5k player about mechanics. If I was as good as him, I'd be up there.

I took over my brother's acc (who doesn't play Dota anymore) a few weeks ago and calibrated him. 1st game was at 2.8k, last game was at 3.5k. I won all 10 calibration games (1 abandon due to network outage; we were far ahead and won anyways when I came back). People with 700-1.3k MMR below me can't keep up with my farm to save their lives. There is no way I'd ever be stuck down there in the long run. I have a 90% winrate in the 2.8 to 3.6k MMR range:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/58054528/matches?date=&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=ranked_matchmaking&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=

Pretty sure I could maintain a 100% winrate <3k if I tryharded every game.

I'm a 3-3.5k player in my heart ;_;
ROFL there is no way in hell we should be having the same MMR, you've seen my scrub plays.
Pretty sure I could maintain a 100% winrate <3k if I tryharded every game.
Agree with your post, but not this. Even someone like S4 couldn't get his 3.8k team to win some games, sometimes you just have THAT team. Of course it would depend on your picks, I'm pretty sure S4 played Puck and Magnus and stuff.

Red UFO

I think MMR is pretty accurate too. Not accurate to the digit, but there is a clear difference in skill between 2 different ranges, e.g. 2k-2.5k is definitley worse than 2.5k-3k.

I rose through those MMR ranges and you can definitely feel the difference in decision making and farming ability.

Agree with your post, but not this. Even someone like S4 couldn't get his 3.8k team to win some games, sometimes you just have THAT team. Of course it would depend on your picks, I'm pretty sure S4 played Puck and Magnus and stuff.

Not sure about Magnus' and Puck's solo carrying abilities to be honest. I don't see 2k players being able to do anything about my Troll Warlord. :/ The games were insanely lopsided and I usually had a seizable lead just based on superior last hitting in lane alone which led to an early Rosh which I then used to kill all the remaining T1s. Then, I farmed their jungle and if someone showed up, I killed him and took a T2. Basically the same shit every game. People at 2k waste so much of their time not doing shit, which makes outfarming them awfully easy. Hardly anyone comes close to reaching the minimum 5lh/min requirement at that MMR.

kionedrik

Ive said this to Hylian and i stand by it

Solo MMR is a stupid indicator of how good you are. You cant trust 4 brain dead potatoes to play well. Just have fun guys. Dota is a game and games are supposed to be enjoyed, not stressed over

As I see it, solo MMR measures how versatile you are and your understanding of the game's mechanics, which isn't necessarily how good you are. You can't rely on it to win games.

The only true way to measure skill in the game is to play with the exact same stack every time, so you're party MMR actually means something, otherwise it's just a random number honestly. So it's understandable that people look at solo MMR.

As for having fun, the toxicity comes from:
- Being forced to play cooperatively with 4 strangers and the impossibility of doing things solo (unlike an online FPS for instance).
- Playing against 5 strangers with all the angst and desire to be the best that comes with it.
- The duration of the match (30min to 60+ min) tends to make my previous points even worse as time goes by.

With 9 strangers each match, it's easy to get 1 or 2 players, sometimes even more, that fail to understand these simple principles.

inkls

Not sure about Magnus' and Puck's solo carrying abilities to be honest. I don't see 2k players being able to do anything about my Troll Warlord. :/ The games were insanely lopsided and I usually had a seizable lead just based on superior last hitting in lane alone which led to an early Rosh which I then used to kill all the remaining T1s. Then, I farmed their jungle and if someone showed up, I killed him and took a T2. Basically the same shit every game. People at 2k waste so much of their time not doing shit, which makes outfarming them awfully easy. Hardly anyone comes close to reaching the minimum 5lh/min requirement at that MMR.

Wasn't there a guy who got refused nel membership because he had gotten 5k mmr by spamming troll and jugg? Its not like some heroes don't help inflate your mmr every patch. I mean, isn't that also the reason why meepo players need 7k mmr instead of the normal 5k in nel also?

ROFL there is no way in hell we should be having the same MMR, you've seen my scrub plays.

don't care about scrub plays imo. At least you don't make questionable item decisions (like one solo game I had with a luna who went bkb first item vs jugg, legion commander, pa, necro, and another i forgot).

Wasn't there a guy who got refused nel membership because he had gotten 5k mmr by spamming troll and jugg? Its not like some heroes don't help inflate your mmr every patch. I mean, isn't that also the reason why meepo players need 7k mmr instead of the normal 5k in nel also?

No idea. I calibrated at 4120 and never touched solo ranked again. Hardly any cheese on my ranked resume honestly: http://www.dotabuff.com/players/180637124/matches?date=&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=ranked_matchmaking&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=

inkls

No idea. I calibrated at 4120 and never touched solo ranked again. Hardly any cheese on my ranked resume honestly: http://www.dotabuff.com/players/180637124/matches?date=&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=ranked_matchmaking&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=

I'm just saying that mmr is accurate as long as you constantly play ranked or ignore fotm heroes. Do you think 4120 is still accurate if you consider improvements you might have made since you said you haven't touched solo ranked since?

I'm just saying that mmr is accurate as long as you constantly play ranked or ignore fotm heroes. Do you think 4120 is still accurate if you consider improvements you might have made since you said you haven't touched solo ranked since?

I calibrated a month ago so probably yes, lol. But I see your point.

don't care about scrub plays imo. At least you don't make questionable item decisions (like one solo game I had with a luna who went bkb first item vs jugg, legion commander, pa, necro, and another i forgot).
That's actually why I originally thought I was above my tier. When playing with a Morphling rushing Skadi(I think he even skipped boots), I thought I was better than those scrubs.

What that really means is that there's probably a few parts of the game I'm worse at that makes these players my equal(I'm complete garbage at farming so that's probably it.)

inkls

That's actually why I originally thought I was above my tier. When playing with a Morphling rushing Skadi(I think he even skipped boots), I thought I was better than those scrubs.

What that really means is that there's probably a few parts of the game I'm worse at that makes these players my equal(I'm complete garbage at farming so that's probably it.)

Although, as long as you know what you did wrong I think you can consider yourself a better player because you know where to start. I don't think you're on par with players who blame their team for their losses.

In my opinion, there's 3 ways people can have good mmr:

-Having good game knowledge
-Being mechanically good
-Playing very well on certain heroes (doesn't have to be fotm)

I see those archetypes very commonly in pubs and in pro streams.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

as a 2k mmr pro, my advice is fresh, exciting, and unbound by the dulldrums of convention or experience. i'm basically a dota teenager: always right about everything, and you are just going to have to deal w/ that.

as a 2k mmr pro, my advice is fresh, exciting, and unbound by the dulldrums of convention or experience. i'm basically a dota teenager: always right about everything, and you are just going to have to deal w/ that.

Yeah, that's what it felt like. He literally said MMR wouldn't matter in that discussion because of how right he was and due to how wrong I was. What the hell, I virtually have twice his MMR. There is no way he would know a thing about the game that I don't. I'm not asking 2Ks to worship me, but damn, show some respect, scrubs.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah, that's how it felt like. He literally said MMR wouldn't matter in that discussion because of how right he was and due to how wrong I was. What the hell, I virtually have twice his MMR. There is no way he would know a thing about the game that I don't. I'm not asking 2Ks to worship me, but damn, show some respect, scrubs.

well i can't speak for him but usually when i have strong opinions about things i'm either fuming b/c i just lost to it or don't know what i'm talking about

DrPizza

Banned
Arguing with 2k scrubs on Reddit is the worst shit. I honestly wish there was a visible MMR indicator in that subreddit and a strict ban for <4k players to give shit low MMR advice about the game. They'd only be allowed to post in crappy esports drama threads.

You're forgetting that pro meta is just low skill pub meta delayed a few months. Low skilled pubs knew that Death Prophet was a tower pushing power house long before TI4 figured it out. Same with Sniper and Troll.

Ties

Banned
You're forgetting that pro meta is just low skill pub meta delayed a few months. Low skilled pubs knew that Death Prophet was a tower pushing power house long before TI4 figured it out. Same with Sniper and Troll.
this is tea

im ready for CM to dominate tha metagame

Pratfall

i know bat is in a good place balancewise but an aghs upgrade on him would be pretty awesome. The hero can farm well and usually only needs 3 items to be effective (boots, blink, force) so I always feel like I am looking for items to fill the extra slots. What do you guys think would be a cool aghs on him? Flaming Lasso makes the target extra vulnerable to physical and spell damage?

i know bat is in a good place balancewise but an aghs upgrade on him would be pretty awesome. The hero can farm well and usually only needs 3 items to be effective (boots, blink, force) so I always feel like I am looking for items to fill the extra slots. What do you guys think would be a cool aghs on him? Flaming Lasso makes the target extra vulnerable to physical and spell damage?
Lasso does dot damage, Lasso is unbreakable(probably broken), Lasso increases Batrider ms(also probably broken).

Also you can always get refresher on bat, even if you can't get 2 targets at once it's great to have 2 lassos in a row for 8 seconds of lockdown.

DrPizza

Banned

Firefly becomes a toggle, zero activation cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom