• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

I have a spreadsheet set up with a schedule and announcements tab (that my team should check every second of their waking existance aaaargh). JakkuFurosu and I had set up a tentative match time for saturday 2pm PST, but unfortunately it turned out most of my players couldn't make that so we had to look for another time. Here's my team's situation (the 'available' column is for saturday):

EDIT: updated image

ZNCjD2Q.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel like Icefrog gives aghs effects to underpowered or unpopular heroes (especially supports/offlaners) that could use a pseudo-buff (especially in the late game). Wouldn't be surprised to see DP get an aghs soon that basically restores her old ghosts' cooldown and buffs the damage a bit.

Batrider is a fkn monster early, mid, and late game (especially late game). I don't see a scenario where he ever gets an aghs unless he's just completely nuked out of the metagame for a couple of patches (like DP). He's survived a tirade of nerfs over the past 2 years. Plus an aghs would be a completely unnecessary perfect item for him (aka a flat buff to him) because his only core is blink + force and then he's free to get whatever he wants... in this case an aghs if it were available. I think it's a lot more interesting when you have a hero like Void who wants to get other items, but has to make the hard decision on if he really wants to use up a slot (and a lot of gold) on that aghanims.

Aghs give him 1800/1200 vision when Firefly is active. Useful, but not OP (And likely super underwhelming tbh)

Wok

Why though? I think it's insanely accurate if you have a decent sample size of solo ranked games. Obviously, if you don't enjoy RMM (and I don't) then skip it but there is no way that a low 3k player is anywhere as good as I am, just as I'm nowhere near 5k+ material. I'd be cautious arguing with a 5k player about mechanics. If I was as good as him, I'd be up there.

I took over my brother's acc (who doesn't play Dota anymore) a few weeks ago and calibrated him. 1st game was at 2.8k, last game was at 3.5k. I won all 10 calibration games (1 abandon due to network outage; we were far ahead and won anyways when I came back). People with 700-1.3k MMR below me can't keep up with my farm to save their lives. There is no way I'd ever be stuck down there in the long run. I have a 90% winrate in the 2.8 to 3.6k MMR range:

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/58054528/matches?date=&hero=&skill_bracket=&lobby_type=ranked_matchmaking&game_mode=&region=&faction=&duration=

Pretty sure I could maintain a 100% winrate <3k if I tryharded every game.

I read what you say, agree with you, then I click the link and this is welcomes me.

JtFFnvl.png

Disgusting! :D

Acinixys

rofl at that Illidian ultra kill

0 fucks given

this is literally my struggle

i had to stop picking my fave supports because i can make so much space but the carries don't follow through and take advantage of that space

so i just go mid or off lane now lel

Solo mid Venge, Ogre and CM make for very fun games

Ties

Banned
When exactly is your opinion allowed to count? As a 4k player you can sit here and say that a 2k has no business contradicting your opinions, but then a 5k can say the same to you, and a top 100 can say the same to them. Then professional players can enter the discussion, call all of you shit, and then say your discussions don't even matter because pro games are the only place where the real game is played. An open discussion means anyone can contribute, and if people are giving bad advice you can quote them and correct it. Sure, they won't ever admit to being wrong but if your arguments are decently explained and make sense you should get through to the third parties reading. Attaching mmrs to posts would make people more toxic and unwilling to put forth their ideas, I can imagine many people in this thread not even wanting to post if that was the case.

And while mmr is a decent general indicator of your skill, it isn't an insanely accurate end all. Solo mmr measures how many games your willing to play alone and how good you are at winning them alone. This favors playing snowballing mids extremely selfishly, or spam picking your best snowballer/fotm over and over. Say what you want, but the best 5 position player ever is going to have an extremely slow (and unpleasant) time climbing compared to sniper/troll/sf/meepo/whatever spammers.

i had to stop picking my fave supports because i can make so much space but the carries don't follow through and take advantage of that space

TUSR

Banned
Can we have some kind of spread sheet or doodle.com for matches - open for both teams. Then we can just confirm our availability and all the admins can see who is coming or the progress.

idk how often non-dota gaf actually read posted messages and this way anyone on either team can initiate, it's not just 2 captains setting everything up

Why not open that up for both teams though. You need an opponent as well
Yes, I'm tied up for the next bit with end of semester engineer competitions, I'll look into something tonight.

yea, that's how most people move up quickly. by playing mid or carry.

Demoli

You can climb just as fast with a support as a carry unless that carry is sniper or troll atm.

Buying wards and suiciding to put them up only for them to be countered in the next minute isn't proper supporting, neither is pulling the lane when it's already under your tower or sapping exp in lane plinking a timbersaw. Proper Support rotations as well as good pulling, properly exploiting the jungle as well as mid game decisions from them and from their low cost high impact items wins the game more often than not.

All this support moping always irks me.

I remember when Conceptor's 7k friend thought he'd be in for an easy mid matchup.
laugh.gif

You are a hard taskmaster at mid.

Also, someone needs to tell Sheever she can wash those fucking shoes. When your white souls are brown, it's time. Especially when they're going to be on display in front of like 30,000 people...

...ya'll don't have shoe sole cleaning products in Europe?

You can climb just as fast with a support as a carry unless that carry is sniper or troll atm.

Nah. lol. Your heart is in the right place, but....nahhhhhhhhhhh.

Chris R

Buying wards and suiciding to put them up only for them to be countered in the next minute isn't proper supporting, neither is pulling the lane when it's already under your tower or sapping exp in lane plinking a timbersaw. Proper Support rotations as well as good pulling, properly exploiting the jungle as well as mid game decisions from them and from their low cost high impact items wins the game more often than not.

All this support moping always irks me.

I try to support, but when you support and end up with just 1k less net worth than your carry at the 15 min mark because they can't fucking last hit I just cry :( I'm not good. I know that. I just ask for a somewhat competent carry once in awhile.

- 2500 MMR trench trash

BraXzy

God, what is it about people in Low Priority who want to stay there for some bizarre reason. If you feed constantly mid, we are all going to report you and give you 5 more games of hell. Screwwwwwwwwww youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I try to support, but when you support and end up with just 1k less net worth than your carry at the 15 min mark because they can't fucking last hit I just cry :( I'm not good. I know that. I just ask for a somewhat competent carry once in awhile.

- 2500 MMR trench trash

Yea...I think in maybe 2 of my 20 ranked matches, I had a genuinely incompetent carry player. Had maybe 40cs @ 20 minutes.

There are certain things you can overcome in a match. You can overcome insufficient support play by buying the wards yourself or picking carries that can protect themselves and still carry a game. You can't, however, carry a game from the support position if the carry you made space for has nothing but Treads and Drums at 30 minutes because they were running around trying to fight or missing last hits.

It's demonstratably easier to move up in MMR quickly if you can play a snowballing mid or carry hero really well.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel the caveat with playing a Snowball hero to quickly gain MMR is its super easy to lose it once the hero is nerfed or the meta shifts.

I feel the caveat with playing a Snowball hero to quickly gain MMR is its super easy to lose it once the hero is nerfed or the meta shifts.

I should clarify: a hero you can snowball on. That is a hero you know you can consistently dominate games with; not a hero that is somehow imbalanced (either in perception or reality). TA, QoP, Zeus, Storm, Lina, Meepo, Huskar are examples. None are imbalanced, and all can run over your team for the first 20-35 minutes of a match.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can we have some kind of spread sheet or doodle.com for matches - open for both teams. Then we can just confirm our availability and all the admins can see who is coming or the progress.

idk how often non-dota gaf actually read posted messages and this way anyone on either team can initiate, it's not just 2 captains setting everything up

Why not open that up for both teams though. You need an opponent as well

Doesn't matter to me how games get scheduled as long as both captains notify me of a time every week by Thursday, 11:59 PM PST (as outlined in the rules). Either way, the final responsibility lies with the team captain, not the admins or individual players. They can set up on doodle (or spreadsheet) for their team or for both teams if they so choose.

My constant updates are just a friendly reminder for week 1, and I'm going to stop doing that in later weeks. Captains' know their responsibility and have known (scheduling and organizing their team) since signups opened and have been given many reminders. I'm confident they will all get back to me, and in later weeks, I won't be nagging everyone on steam or on GAF since everyone knows the drill and the consequences.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
What happens if we somehow can't man a full 5 man team for some reason?

You forfeit the two games (provided the other team does have 5). Then next week you evaluate why you didn't have 5 (for whatever reason(s)), and if necessary, your captain can apply for a free agent.

In the case of late or delayed players, you'll get a 15 minute grace period from the start of scheduled match time. If 15 minutes have passed and one team has 5 and the other does not, game 1 is forfeited to the team with 5. Another 15 minutes will be given for "game 2," and if one team still does not have 5 by the end of that, they will have to forfeit game 2. Of course, if one team knows they absolutely cannot get 5 from the start of the match time to 30 minutes later, save everyone some time and just forfeit right off the bat.

I highly suggest everyone go through the rules (especially "Games/scheduling"), if you have not already done so. The rules will answer most questions with regards to pauses, scheduling, late players, forfeits, etc...

Also, just a reminder that all official games going forward (including these preseason games) must be ticketed. In order for a game to be ticketed, an admin must host the lobby (aka me, TUSR, procarbine, ellen pudge, Sanjay, Demoli, or tSWIFTx). At least one of us should be around for all the games, but in the rare circumstance that we aren't, the winning captain can just screenshot the end screens.

edit: Lastly, new rule that I forgot to make clear: No spectators outside of admins/casters will be allowed in official games. Please watch one of our caster streams or through dotatv (we have an in game ticket!). Casters, remember to have a 2 minute delay.

manfestival

>New Scepter Ability for Batrider
>Becomes a 700 range skillshot.
>Extremely hard to land but if it hits, it will instantly lasso all 5 enemies from anywhere on the map.

Pratfall

>New Scepter Ability for Batrider
>Becomes a 700 range skillshot.
>Extremely hard to land but if it hits, it will instantly lasso all 5 enemies from anywhere on the map.

lasso gets 400 range AOE, lassoing everyone within. Batrider dies at the end of the lasso and turns into a beautiful shining star.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I feel like you guys are making a mockery of my totally good suggestion of giving him +400 vision during Firefly with scepter.

shira

God, what is it about people in Low Priority who want to stay there for some bizarre reason. If you feed constantly mid, we are all going to report you and give you 5 more games of hell. Screwwwwwwwwww youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Are you seriously tryharding in LPQ
facepalm.gif

Just afk shadow amulet like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom