• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly what league of legends lacks in hero identity it makes up for in non-sexist, non-misogynist hero design. Get into it tbh.

tDQC1Ub.gif

Low Tier
? Can you stop generalizing my posts and condoning me just to elevate yourself that'd be great

identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity

Hylian7

? Can you stop generalizing my posts and condoning me just to elevate yourself that'd be great

identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity identity
Pot, meet kettle.

x3r0123

hey guys,

I happen to have some spare TI tickets because my friends were able to get theirs. So now I'm stuck with them. Before I go out and sell them, I was wondering if anyone wants to go

Kard8p3

hey guys,

I happen to have some spare TI tickets because my friends were able to get theirs. So now I'm stuck with them. Before I go out and sell them, I was wondering if anyone wants to go

Send Artanisix a msg, I think he still needs some. Might b wrong tho.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
also, since i'm drunk, 'hero identity'?

half of the heroes in this game don't have an identity

what's lion's identity? he can gank and lockdown? there's lots of heroes who can do that. yawn. what's shadowfiend's identity? he can do a lot of damage? yawn.

the character design does a lot more than the mechanics design does for the majority of the lineup.

what's slardar's identity? what's phoenix's identity? what's windrunner's identity? ogre's? venge's?

and yet, troll's identity is v. important and must be preserved at all costs? okay. it's literally just because you call him 'BASHLORD', that needs to be preserved. if he didn't have a nickname noone would care.

Hylian7

what's lion's identity? he can gank and lockdown? there's lots of heroes who can do that. yawn. what's shadowfiend's identity? he can do a lot of damage? yawn.

the character design does a lot more than the mechanics design does for the majority of the lineup.

what's slardar's identity? what's phoenix's identity? what's windrunner's identity? ogre's? venge's?

and yet, troll's identity is v. important and must be preserved at all costs? okay. it's literally just because you call him 'BASHLORD', that needs to be preserved. if he didn't have a nickname noone would care.

Thank you.

On an unrelated note to this, I'm looking at a hotel on Lenora St. Google says it's 1 mile from Key Arena, anyone stayed in this part of town before?

also, yes, i know that bashlord is spirit breaker before anyone tells me

lmao. Just give troll's bash a cooldown and reduce his movement speed. ezpz.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
slardar is doubly pathetic atm because in addition to having literally the most boring set of powers in the game, he's also boring af in terms of character design

do you also get Mau-esque predictive powers

who will the next relevant hero be in the meta?

will gaga ever be commercially successful again?

am I destined to remain alone forever?

Low Tier
Lion: cycle mana for disables for mana stealing with a WAPOW ulti. He used to be a very popular mid hero during the era of tinker/sf/pudge/lion turf wars. While you could say he has a similar toolkit to lina, the recent changes to lina (increased dmg, lower cd, fiery soul buffs) and lion (mana drain buff, aghs), differentiates the two more than what most beginner players would think at first glance.

SF: iconic high nuke low defensive hero. Think high risk high reward. Very aoe nuke heavy agi carry that scales into late game. In terms of identity, I guess its shadowraze doe. (Which is why it got buffed recently, to adjust his early-mid game while still keeping his lvl 1-3 laning as weak as intended before he gets souls)

I could write on and on, but if you honestly can't identify each hero's uniqueness and schema then i'm sorry to say but you're either really bad at dota or haven't really thought about balance.

Or you're just salty cuz you lose to troll

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
those are just descriptions of what the heroes do with the word iconic attached. what kind of popgaf teas tbh.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i dunno. i'm not good at dota. when i think of hero identity i think of heroes like undying, disruptor, and io. heroes that do interesting things.

one of the things i find so completely boring about sf is that he literally just does damage, and his passives are about dealing more damage. is that supposed to be an iconic hero identity? okay...

Low Tier
that's a fair point. Stand-out heroes that fit a very niche or do a very unique thing can easily be identified. However, not every hero can be like that, because the basic mechanic of the game is still getting creeps/heroes/towers' hp to zero. There will always be damage dealers, and not every hero can have a unique way to do damage. (because than the burden of knowledge that is dota would be so awful no one would even play it)

I mean disruptor is: nuke, aoe pseudo-disable, and aoe silence. What makes him terrific imo is glimpse, and that can be said to be his 'identity'. It just so happens that the rest of his toolkit also works really well with glimpse, and it makes that hero fantastic.

But here's food for thought: Disruptor's first iteration was arguably more broken than current troll warlord. His low mana cost nuke and low cd ultimate made him undisputed mid, as soon as he hit 6 you would die for free, and it would be up again before you know it. Now would you say that the hero should have had one of his spells neutered to make him balanced? Some number tweaking and meta changes was all it took to take that hero down from his throne, and I'm confident that the frog can do the same with troll.

Honest to god troll is not as bad as gaf paints him out to be.

But here's food for thought: Disruptor's first iteration was arguably more broken than current troll warlord. His low mana cost nuke and low cd ultimate made him undisputed mid, as soon as he hit 6 you would die for free, and it would be up again before you know it. Now would you say that the hero should have had one of his spells neutered to make him balanced? Some number tweaking and meta changes was all it took to take that hero down from his throne, and I'm confident that the frog can do the same with troll.

Honest to god troll is not as bad as gaf paints him out to be.

I think it was PPD who I listened to explaining this, but he was talking about why this meta in particular favours carries like troll/sniper/jugg so much and it was pretty compelling. Not only can they abuse the strong items on this patch, but they also scale very well and thus can benefit from the comeback mechanics in a huge way. Compared to someone like Luna who needs so much to do her job, someone like troll or jugg just needs stats (which can get found via levels or items like skadi) and suddenly they're a terror.

Makes a lot of sense and I think the meta has a huge amount to do with it. That said, I think those heroes are still too much of a complete package to go without nerfs. Troll getting movespeed and a no-CD bash as a passive is pretty nuts. Jugg has basically everything a carry could want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom