• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some hill trolls are gonna learn the meanin' of the word pain ;D

2ugmjv84nzz6.gif

I think lifesteal needs a nerf more than skadi tbh. Skadi's just so prevelant because of the carries that are strong.

Also, even if they make it not stack with lifesteal I'll still build it on half the carries I play so no biggie.

Hylian7

sny+skadi being a viable item build is fucked up, and its even more fucked up that they can make certain heroes into killing machines

I'm tired of this "buy blink on every hero" meta. You see so many carries not buying proper scaling items or BKB and instead getting a blink just because everyone gets it. So dumb.

I'm tired of this "buy blink on every hero" meta. You see so many carries not buying proper scaling items or BKB and instead getting a blink just because everyone gets it. So dumb.

what carries get blink that you would rather not? Only blink carries I can thank of right now are slark/sven/slardar/WK/doom/legion/ta/ursa/SF.... all of whom make good use of blink. Some heroes occasionally go blink like Clinkz or Sniper, too, but that's not very common I find.

Hylian7

what carries get blink that you would rather not? Only blink carries I can thank of right now are slark/sven/slardar/WK/doom/legion/ta/ursa/SF.... all of whom make good use of blink. Some heroes occasionally go blink like Clinkz or Sniper, too, but that's not very common I find.

Troll, Sniper, Clinkz, Drow, Void, Jugg, Kunkka, Lifestealer, PA in addition to those that you named. I have seen Blink bought on every single one of these heroes at least one or two times, if not more than that. Blink isn't supposed to be an item you buy on scaling heroes, that's why it was changed from being "Kelen's Dagger of Escape" in Dota 1. Everyone bought it back then just to get away from anything.

Acinixys

sny+skadi being a viable item build is fucked up, and its even more fucked up that they can make certain heroes into killing machines

Make it so Skadi and S+Y slows dont stack with other slows

The highest % slow is the one that takes priority

Troll, Sniper, Clinkz, Drow, Void, Jugg, Kunkka, Lifestealer, PA in addition to those that you named. I have seen Blink bought on every single one of these heroes at least one or two times, if not more than that. Blink isn't supposed to be an item you buy on scaling heroes, that's why it was changed from being "Kelen's Dagger of Escape" in Dota 1. Everyone bought it back then just to get away from anything.
It's once or twice man... Some idiot in a pub building blink pa doesn't make it a meta. Let alone the fact that every hero in my list as well as a few that you named can use blink effectively.

Hylian7

"Scaling heroes" must not include TA/Ursa/Sven/Alch/Slardar/Tiny/Slark/Meepo then?

I meant in general really. Some of those are perfectly fine to buy Blink on. I'm not a fan of it on Alchemist, Slark, and TA though. All 3 of those heroes particularly need real items, and Blink doesn't really do anything for them that other items don't. Here's the difference.

TA - You have traps, and it's better to just stack MS and agiltiy, BKB if you need it. You get Drums Phase Yasha and you're good.
Alch - He's supposed to be tanky, and supposed to be able to walk into a fight and start whacking people, although that hero has a lot of problems right now, so he doesn't do that well even.
Slark - You have Pounce and ulti. Why do you need a Blink on this hero? It's just superflous. Just land your pounce.

Hylian7

It's once or twice man... Some idiot in a pub building blink pa doesn't make it a meta. Let alone the fact that every hero in my list as well as a few that you named can use blink effectively.

It's getting way out of control though. Every time someone goes "I don't know what I should buy, oh well I'll just buy a blink dagger."

Blink ta has only been a thing in this meta?

It's been a thing as long as I can remember (even before manacost removal). I've just never been a fan of it because it's wasted potential.

How can you even say blink kunkka is bad?

blink into x

x into blink

If you ask me that item is core on the hero.

Meanwhile your splashes make a fart sound.

I meant in general really. Some of those are perfectly fine to buy Blink on. I'm not a fan of it on Alchemist, Slark, and TA though. All 3 of those heroes particularly need real items, and Blink doesn't really do anything for them that other items don't. Here's the difference.

TA - You have traps, and it's better to just stack MS and agiltiy, BKB if you need it. You get Drums Phase Yasha and you're good.
Alch - He's supposed to be tanky, and supposed to be able to walk into a fight and start whacking people, although that hero has a lot of problems right now, so he doesn't do that well even.
Slark - You have Pounce and ulti. Why do you need a Blink on this hero? It's just superflous. Just land your pounce.

TA: no item offers her the ability to play the hit-and-run game like blink does.

Alch: walking in to a fight to stun isn't always an option. enemy team has forcestaffs or mobile heroes? you're never landing a stun without the enemy fucking up.

Slark: You build blink for the same reasons that both TA and Alch buys blink. Blink + Pounce allows for more reliable engage, and blink gives slark a way to LOS to get passive back and regen in the middle of fights.

Hylian7

TA: no item offers her the ability to play the hit-and-run game like blink does.

Alch: walking in to a fight to stun isn't always an option. enemy team has forcestaffs or mobile heroes? you're never landing a stun without the enemy fucking up.

Slark: You build blink for the same reasons that both TA and Alch buys blink. Blink + Pounce allows for more reliable engage, and blink gives slark a way to LOS to get passive back and regen in the middle of fights.

How does Blink exactly facilitate the "run" part of the hit and run for TA?

Unless we are talking support Alchemist, you need real items on Alchemist. You should have a team to help you with actually stunning them. Blink isn't going to automagically make that hero good.

For Slark, you also need real items, hell you could even make a case for Shadow Blade, as even if you do get dusted, you still have the extra MS to get into position. The guy's squishy, and you probably need to prioritize real items like BKB over Blink.

When there are even Blink Faceless Voids in pro games, you know this item needs some kind of change to make it slightly less favorable on these kinds of heroes.

kionedrik

That doesn't refute what I said. Logically speaking, 'can't be killed' overrides 'instantly kills'. If you didn't know the interaction, you wouldn't guess that it works the way it does from the spell descriptions.

It's just a funny interaction that works this way because axe is a more popular hero. Nothing to do with what makes sense or is balanced.

It's the opposite when you think about it, the conflict resolution takes into acount the order in which the effects are aplied, so "Instantly Kills" overrides "Cannot be killed".

It's getting way out of control though. Every time someone goes "I don't know what I should buy, oh well I'll just buy a blink dagger."

It's been a thing as long as I can remember (even before manacost removal). I've just never been a fan of it because it's wasted potential.

We should ask Dendi why he always goes blink on TA.

xanavi

Who's saying that blink is your only item or even your first item?

And let's not forget that torrent boat does great damage and stuns targets.

And another thing!

Slark absolutely needs an item to set up pounces against good players.

You can't just walk up during daytime and pounce on someone!

Hylian7

So.. why do you buy blink on puck? I mean that hero can pretty much just orb into the fight

Because it synergizes with Phase Shift, and Puck doesn't sit there and right click either like Faceless Void does, so Puck can afford an item like that.

Other examples like this would be Windrunner or Timbersaw.

TUSR

Banned
That doesn't refute what I said. Logically speaking, 'can't be killed' overrides 'instantly kills'. If you didn't know the interaction, you wouldn't guess that it works the way it does from the spell descriptions.

It's just a funny interaction that works this way because axe is a more popular hero. Nothing to do with what makes sense or is balanced.

cant techies also go through shallow grave?

Hylian7

We should ask Dendi why he always goes blink on TA.

Probably because that's the way he likes to handle it: Let the safelane carry do all the damage basically and end the game in 30 minutes.

Who's saying that blink is your only item or even your first item?

And let's not forget that torrent boat does great damage and stuns targets.

And another thing!

Slark absolutely needs an item to set up pounces against good players.

You can't just walk up during daytime and pounce on someone!

Torrent Boat is good if you can actually land them. That's a pretty huge if. Even if you get a proper X on that, they could still have something to escape. You need to be capable of outputting more damage over a wider area with Tidebringer.

That item is Shadow Blade for Slark then, actually gives you damage and sets you up for pounces. Otherwise you are just hitting like wet tissue paper.

On TA, watch Waga play TA with Blink and say that again. Her Blink allows her to position herself where she wants to get the best psi blade splashes, not to mention the recent change with refraction allowing her to blink away whenever she wants as long as refraction is up.

Kunkka doesn't need to do max damage asap, he's not that kind of carry. He can catch out anyone using blink>X and can use Blink to get very far in the 8 seconds of X and almost always be safe(as long as you're not an idiot with it).

Alch can really use Blink to explode someone before they even know what's happening, you can't exactly walk in with your stun unless you're playing against morons, and it exploding on yourself is a disaster.

Satch

Banned
to be fair if youre bad at landing ur torrents and boats then u probably shouldnt have picked kunkka in the first place

xanavi

Torrent Boat is good if you can actually land them. That's a pretty huge if. Even if you get a proper X on that, they could still have something to escape. You need to be capable of outputting more damage over a wider area with Tidebringer.

That item is Shadow Blade for Slark then, actually gives you damage and sets you up for pounces. Otherwise you are just hitting like wet tissue paper.

I don't understand why you think having a blink dagger precludes having damage items or being able to do damage.

Especially on the heroes you've mentioned which for the most part all farm incredibly quickly.

You absolutely can have a dagger and still do damage!

Hylian7

On TA, watch Waga play TA with Blink and say that again. Her Blink allows her to position herself where she wants to get the best psi blade splashes, not to mention the recent change with refraction allowing her to blink away whenever she wants as long as refraction is up.

Kunkka doesn't need to do max damage asap, he's not that kind of carry. He can catch out anyone using blink>X and can use Blink to get very far in the 8 seconds of X and almost always be safe(as long as you're not an idiot with it).

Alch can really use Blink to explode someone before they even know what's happening, you can't exactly walk in with your stun unless you're playing against morons, and it exploding on yourself is a disaster.

On TA maybe I can see your point, however I still prefer getting more damage and 1-2 shotting people, or at the very least forcing them to back off.

Then what kind of carry is Kunkka. There's a reason people go damage items on him quickly, so he can actually do damage.

Alch is still going to hit like wet tissue paper with that Blink. I still think in general Shadow Blade is better for this purpose, but the hero in general right now isn't very good so that point is probably moot either way.

inkls

Probably because that's the way he likes to handle it: Let the safelane carry do all the damage basically and end the game in 30 minutes.

1) blink is great on kunkka, but i usually get it 3rd item

2) shadowblade is +22 dmg that stack with crits and +175 that dont give anything to your crits

Its really not that big of a deal.

Unless sb gets more buffs

Blink > sb on kunkka

Hylian7

I don't understand why you think having a blink dagger precludes having damage items or being able to do damage.

Especially on the heroes you've mentioned which for the most part all farm incredibly quickly.

You absolutely can have a dagger and still do damage!

It delays it, by a lot. It's a 2250 gold item that offers zero stats, HP, AS, MS, or anything. You Blink and it's a paperweight for the next 12 seconds. It's a paperweight if you get damaged at all. People don't buy Blink Daggers to farm more, they plan on fighting with them, and if you do no damage, that probably won't work.

Low Tier
People who get shadowblade over blink on kunkka are wrong in every way shape and form. X abusing with blink is for gods among men

xanavi

It delays it, by a lot. It's a 2250 gold item that offers zero stats, HP, AS, MS, or anything. You Blink and it's a paperweight for the next 12 seconds. It's a paperweight if you get damaged at all. People don't buy Blink Daggers to farm more, they plan on fighting with them, and if you do no damage, that probably won't work.

Ctrl+F "first"

No one is saying you have to buy blink first. If your argument is that a lot of these heroes shouldn't buy blink first then yes, you're right but I don't think anyone is offering counterpoints for that.

Hylian7

People who get shadowblade over blink on kunkka are wrong in every way shape and form. X abusing with blink is for gods among men

Why is it just now a thing with this patch then? Before the last patch where X had double duration on allied heroes, why wasn't it a thing back then?

I get your point on it not having any stats and stuff but you're underrating how much damage Kunkka does with just his spells, you can pick off a lot of heroes by yourself and the rest with +1. Late game he needs crit and stuff to still do meaningful damage(though even with just his spells he'll stay relevant no matter what) but in the mid game he already does plenty.

Yeah you actually need to be active if you get Blink but that's true in almost all cases of getting Blink on a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom