• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artanisix

"Drafting becomes a totally different beast because you don't know what the meta exactly is yet and what the other team is going to do, and even if you theorycraft something, you don't even 100% know it's going to work out how you think."

Okay?

Drafting and figuring out new combos is part of the game dude. I'm sorry the meta hasn't been figured out yet for 6.84 so you can't just ban Troll and Sniper.

JambiBum

Hylian it's not like one team will be on 83 and the other 84. If the patch comes late and some teams are playing on 83 then it doesn't matter. It doesn't affect drafting for teams on 83 because they will just draft like they used to. If teams are on 84 then they get to figure it out together.

Hylian7

glimmer cape is DOPE AS HELL
Love it on CM

that doesn't make it unfair.
Unfair is when someone has an advantage. When all people are at a disadvantage, that is still fari

That's my point, not all people are going to be at a disadvantage if this were to happen. This is what I'm worried about happening:

Friday (We are still on 6.83 at this point)

Match at 5
Match at 7

PATCH DROPS EVERYTHING BELOW THIS ON NEW PATCH

Match at 8

Matches Saturday and Sunday

Those four teams in the top two matches have an easier time drafting and it is less a matter of getting lucky because everyone has experience with the meta. If EVERYONE was on the new patch, it would be fine, but if a situation like the one above happens, that is simply unfair.

One set of teams playing based on actual game knowledge and another playing based on guesswork is not an unfair advantage?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That's my point, not all people are going to be at a disadvantage if this were to happen. This is what I'm worried about happening:

Match at 5
Match at 7

Match at 8

Those four teams in the top two matches have an easier time drafting and it is less a matter of getting lucky because everyone has experience with the meta. If EVERYONE was on the new patch, it would be fine, but if a situation like the one above happens, that is simply unfair.

One set of teams playing based on actual game knowledge and another playing based on guesswork is not an unfair advantage?

no

s6UgFKV.png

Big Dog

There is no valid argument to postpone matches. The exact same shit happens to the pros as well. They move on with life and play the game. I am surprised this is a real question. If anything it will make the games much more exciting and fun.

Volodja

Match at 5
Match at 7

Match at 8

Who cares if the 4 teams before have an easier time drafting when it's true for both the teams in a given match, it's not like the wins those teams achieve are gonna be worth double because it was more straightforward to pick lineups.

And drafting in the new patch is not even gonna be complete guesswork, it's just gonna test a different kind of drafting ability.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How is that not an unfair advantage? The teams that are on the patch we know can draft with much more confidence and are less likely to have a game chocked up to "WHELP GUESS THAT DIDN'T WORK AS WELL AS WE THOUGHT IT WOULD HAVE"

Because both teams will be in the same position.

Satch

Banned
i dont get it, like are the two teams on different patch versions orrrrr

like if the patch switches arent both of the teams in that match both ignorant of "meta" like cant yall start making a meta in ihl for 6.84 or what

arent both teams without knowledge of what will be most viable

i am CONFUSED

BearPawB

Banned
How is that not an unfair advantage? The teams that are on the patch we know can draft with much more confidence and are less likely to have a game chocked up to "WHELP GUESS THAT DIDN'T WORK AS WELL AS WE THOUGHT IT WOULD HAVE"

The game hasn't changed THAT much.
It's still dota. the team with the better fundamentals will probably win.

I get your point now. But i still don't think it matters. I don't think it will be "easier" to win on 6.83 than it will be to win on 6.84

I wouldn't even call it an easier time drafting. Sure, you know what the OP heroes are, but you're semi-forced to ban them. In 6.84, you're not forced to ban Sniper etc, but you have no idea what heroes are really good now.

There's no advantage, it's just different. It's not like the two teams going up against each other are playing on 2 different patches. It's like you're implying winrates are higher in 6.83, which makes zero sense.

TUSR

Banned
I feel like I need to say it again before someone writes a novel arguing about fairness.

We play this weekend on whatever version the game client is on.

End of discussion.

Hylian7

hylian u can either accept the admins decision or forfeit for the week.

How dare I call out something, please, get this garbage out of here.

Who cares if the 4 teams before have an easier time drafting when it's true for both the teams in a given match, it's not like the wins those teams achieve are gonna be worth double because they had an easier time picking lineups.

It absolutely matters. Let's say you have a team that's good at 6.83 for whatever reason, they know it in and out, how to draft around it, etc, etc. Lets say (hypothetically of course) that for whatever reason they aren't as strong at drafting for a new patch with minimal time to study it but their opponent is.

If they play on 6.83, they win, if they play on 6.84, they lose.

Now imagine you have two teams with both of these qualities (not playing each other this weekend).

One wins because they played on the familiar patch, the other loses because they had to play on the new patch. The previous team got an unfair win they might not have otherwise have gotten.

I feel like I need to say it again before someone writes a novel arguing about fairness.

We play this weekend on whatever version the game client is on.

End of discussion.

I still disagree and think there should be a caveat for patch changing mid schedule, but whatever.

Volodja

i dont get it, like are the two teams on different patch versions orrrrr

like if the patch switches arent both of the teams in that match both ignorant of "meta" like cant yall start making a meta in ihl for 6.84 or what

arent both teams without knowledge of what will be most viable

i am CONFUSED
He's saying that one match they'll have the standard drafts, the match will be based on current game knowledge which is enstablished and tested, tbherefore the match will produce a result that is likely to reflect the difference in skill between the teams.
A match on the new patch, on the other hand, would be guesswork, therefore less likely to produce a result that is consistent with said skill difference.

I don't agree with that assessment and if I did I would hope to be in the second situation because based on our results up until now, we clearly need the intervention of any god available to win.

Thx god tbh, else evasion would be way too strong with hex being useless now. Also, it's 4 secs it's not like u're doomed.

yeah, I'm not complaining about silver edge. good item. On ursa it seems really hard to deal with him now though. Get a BKB and suddenly you can instagib anyone who isn't a million farm

Hylian7

I didn't realize the IHL prize was a Porche filled with $100,000 and a lifetime supply of Taco Bell

I don't think you should just discount any arguments about the tournament being fair just because the tournament isn't TI. It's supposed to be fun, fun = fair.

Silver Edge is actually such a good item, it's like it was made for LC. Just hit them once out of invis and almost every hero loses the duel(assuming farm is relatively even). I don't know what they were thinking with that Aghs though, it's arguably a nerf if you get it.

Volodja

I don't think you should just discount any arguments about the tournament being fair just because the tournament isn't TI. It's supposed to be fun, fun = fair.
If you ask me, playing on the new patch as soon as possible = fun.

I want to see the day one drafts, not the week after drafts.

pompidu

OMG.

JUST.

STOP.

YOU ARE ALWAYS LOSING YOUR SHIT OVER SOMETHING.

YOUR LOSING IT OVER A FRIENDLY GAME THAT IS DESIGNED TO BRING THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER AND HAVE FUN.

WHAT A WAY TO TAKE A FUN THING AND TRY TO RUIN IT.

Really? Then why don't we just play ability draft. Is everyone not trying to win here?

girl didn't you do aghs refresher zeus in an ihl game?

I mean I loved it but let's not pretend the clowny stuff isn't more enjoyable for everyone. Or almost everyone, apparently.

edit: for the record I like hylian and think you guys are lowkey too hard on him, come on now

Wok

I have reached a plateau at 2.5K with support Riki. This is the second game in a row that I lose because most of my teammates cannot play. Games were a lot more skillful between 2K and 2.5K. MMR is one of the most broken feature of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom