• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G826DGN.gif

this dude

G826DGN.gif

right here

is trash

G826DGN.gif

G826DGN.gif
G826DGN.gif
G826DGN.gif
G826DGN.gif

Sianos

I want to like Chaos Knight, but he just seems to farm so slow if he doesn't get off to a good start and even then he doesn't have admirable farming speed without his illusions who generally should be fighting.

Also, Slardar + Sniper really is/was quite the combo, Slardar turning me into swiss cheese for the peeper.

Somebody explain the mangoes thing to me as someone that's been out of the loop.

Also, looking to maybe get back to trying my hand at making hats - trying to figure out what hero(es) need some love and ideally wouldn't be too complicated to start with. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure where to start since I'm no longer familiar with what is/will be (with 6.84) popular in terms of play or amount of cosmetics made.

shira

Somebody explain the mangoes thing to me as someone that's been out of the loop.

Also, looking to maybe get back to trying my hand at making hats - trying to figure out what hero(es) need some love and ideally wouldn't be too complicated to start with. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure where to start since I'm no longer familiar with what is/will be (with 6.84) popular in terms of play or amount of cosmetics made.

alchemist, leshrac, wk, huskar look to be big but honestly we won't know the meta till TI5.

Then again anuxi just gave away her EE PA set for free via mod
https://twitter.com/Anuxinamoon/status/593249890878267392

People's don't buy hats anymore

Hylian7

Invoker is hard.

Real talk though, am I the only person that thinks bot games are nearly useless for learning to play a new hero that you already get the basic mechanics of?

Even on insane, the bots play nothing like real people. I can easily wreck insane bots with Meepo, and I'm not that great of a Meepo.

Deadstar

Invoker is hard.

Real talk though, am I the only person that thinks bot games are nearly useless for learning to play a new hero that you already get the basic mechanics of?

Even on insane, the bots play nothing like real people. I can easily wreck insane bots with Meepo, and I'm not that great of a Meepo.

The bot ai is not very good. They rarely go for ganks and at a certain point they just ball up and that's all they do.

Hylian7

The bot ai is not very good. They rarely go for ganks and at a certain point they just ball up and that's all they do.

Yeah, that's about how I feel, and the only real way to get the hang of a hero in game scenario is unranked scenarios. Sorry teammates.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Bots don't teach you shit besides the bare basics of the game or hero.

Insane bots aren't challenging in any real sense, they're just dumb and broken with artificial advantages. Also the bots in general are a really poor substitute for real opponents, some of them are way too smart.

Manus

Invoker is hard.

I watched like the last 5 mins of your Invoker game. Why on Earth did you skill Exort and Wex with only one point in Quas?

Kalnos

Banned
Invoker has a lot of muscle memory and I think bot games can be pretty useful for practicing on him. Not bad for practicing quas/wex either considering it's much harder to last hit with.

I dunno, you could just play Invoker offlane so you don't ruin games.

Moppeh

Banned
Invoker is hard.

For me, it's not about wrecking bots but rather using the risk-free scenario to get a feel for the hero beyond their basic mechanics. Knowing their mechanics is one thing, but being able to consistently and reliably use them in the right situation is another. Even if you are always stomping bots, you are still developing how you play that hero, even if you don't really notice it.

I can beat bots as Earth Spirit, but that doesn't mean I grasp him enough to use in properly in actual games. Repeated bot matches really help bridge the gap between a basic understanding and competent play.

DrPizza

Banned
Wouldn't it be good if top tier teams only play majors? Isn't that what people want?

No. And I don't think they'd be able to get away with it, frankly.

I was hoping that a tennis-like system would be defined. Four majors, a top tier tour, a second tier tour, a system for moving between tiers, consistent rules across tournaments (e.g. for pauses, lateness, that kind of thing). The 4 tournaments is a start, but only a start.

BeesEight

For me, it's not about wrecking bots but rather using the risk-free scenario to get a feel for the hero beyond their basic mechanics. Knowing their mechanics is one thing, but being able to consistently and reliably use them in the right situation is another. Even if you are always stomping bots, you are still developing how you play that hero, even if you don't really notice it.

I can beat bots as Earth Spirit, but that doesn't mean I grasp him enough to use in properly in actual games. Repeated bot matches really help bridge the gap between a basic understanding and competent play.

I don't know, I'm not sure that bots really offer you a lot of situations to really get that feel for a hero. The bot games are far too artificial. I enjoy them for learning the basic interactions of your hero's skills but the difficulty of a real match I find infinitely more valuable.

I think bots can also create an unending scenario where you feel like you're never "good enough" to take it beyond them because their tactics are so predictable. You get good at beating the bots with that hero but you still know that a lot of that information won't transfer to a real match. When I was practicing Oracle, I still didn't really get the hero when I decided to take it to a real match. And, sure, I got lots of flames and I screwed up quite a bit but I learned far more of the hero in those matches than not.

Finally, bots are boring. Even if I'm learning a hero, I don't want it to be a chore. I'm more motivated to keep at a hero when it's against real people than simply farming predictable AI over and over again.

DrPizza

Banned
Invoker is hard.

I think bots have some value; getting down the basic rhythm of heroes, last hitting (especially against that bastard Viper bot), that sort of thing. I think they can also have some value in teamfight execution; since they run a pretty disciplined 5-man play style, and are highly coordinated at stuns and such, I think they can be somewhat useful for practice.

But I wish they were smarter. They're miserable if you want to try out a ganking hero, for example, because of their 5-manning, their disciplined dust usage, that kind of thing. They don't run junglers (and don't know how to punish junglers), they don't understand split push (though it may be my imagination, but they do seem better at committing to pushes and taking trades), and I'm sure these things would be programmable if Valve had the will.

Utility of bot games is as a warm up or to familiarize yourself with missile speed/right click animation/cast points/etc.. Things that you don't need other players in the game to drill.

Fee

I just played a game on test where a mid alch had a 10 minute radiance. 400 gold bounty runes might be a little much.

Dahbomb

Wait a minute...

Does Morph's Agh give your their passive ultimate too? How is he able to perform Multicast? I thought the Agh didn't give you their ultimate.

What's stopping Morph from just becoming Drow and pumping all stats into Agility? Or becoming PA?

Invoker is hard.

You can't even play a non-pubstomping hero with bots since the ones in your team will just feed 90% unless in your there is Viper/Warlock/Sometimes Chaos Knight.

Moppeh

Banned
I don't know, I'm not sure that bots really offer you a lot of situations to really get that feel for a hero. The bot games are far too artificial. I enjoy them for learning the basic interactions of your hero's skills but the difficulty of a real match I find infinitely more valuable.

I think bots can also create an unending scenario where you feel like you're never "good enough" to take it beyond them because their tactics are so predictable. You get good at beating the bots with that hero but you still know that a lot of that information won't transfer to a real match. When I was practicing Oracle, I still didn't really get the hero when I decided to take it to a real match. And, sure, I got lots of flames and I screwed up quite a bit but I learned far more of the hero in those matches than not.

Finally, bots are boring. Even if I'm learning a hero, I don't want it to be a chore. I'm more motivated to keep at a hero when it's against real people than simply farming predictable AI over and over again.

Well Oracle is certainly a type of hero that you can't work on in bot matches. Complex supports just aren't the kind of hero that work with bot interactions.

There surely are limitations with bot matches, but if you need to work on a hero like Invoker, bot matches are a great way to work on your combos, muscle memory, and basic strats without throwing a game.

I'm not saying that Hylian should spend all his Invoker practice is bot matches. Rather, he should not underestimate practicing like that when learning one of the most complex heroes in the game. I'm also saying that bot matches aren't really about interacting with the enemy team, but rather working on aspects of your play that don't rely teamwork or human behavior.

And yeah, they can be boring as fuck. But I can still enjoy fucking around with combos in a bot match. Playing bots is a good way to work on my game and enjoy the Bombcast or whatever.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You can't really train a support with bots, your carries will be too dumb to help. You can however learn some things about carrying and farming patterns.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait a minute...

Does Morph's Agh give your their passive ultimate too? How is he able to perform Multicast? I thought the Agh didn't give you their ultimate.

What's stopping Morph from just becoming Drow and pumping all stats into Agility? Or becoming PA?

I believe the Morph illusion still only does 50% damage.

Hylian7

Why did people tell me go 4 Wex Exort and rush Atos for Ice Wall Meteor Atos Tornado. This seems terrible and functionless early game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
If not for Sniper and Troll's tyranny, I'd almost say I was going to miss this version.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1431101972

In this game, our woods Furion rushed dagon and started killing. 15 minutes in I thought it was impossible for us to lose this game (shocked to see we were only like 6k exp ahead, early kills really are worth dick), then a half hour later I thought it was impossible to WIN it. Somehow we did... 6.83 Dota really is a strange beast.

Manus

Please explain real items, because the builds in game are crap everyone says, and I've been told like five different things.

Euls, Orchid, Aghs are all great items on Invoker. If the game goes late enough get a refresher sheep stick. Just depends on the Invoker build you are going. Can also go Skadi if your going for more of a right click late game build. And don't go 4 Wex Exort. Cold Snap is one of his best spells and scales amazing with Quas.

Hylian7

go midas like

75% of the time

People told me not to do that and that it was bad. I did that the first game.

Euls, Orchid, Aghs are all great items on Invoker. If the game goes late enough get a refresher sheep stick. Just depends on the Invoker build you are going. Can also go Skadi if your going for more of a right click late game build. And don't go 4 Wex Exort. Cold Snap is one of his best spells and scales amazing with Quas.

Yeah, about Euls, I thought people only got it for the Euls Sunstrike Meteor Deafening Blast thing. Is that not the case anymore or is it just good in general? I will give those a try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom