• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calidor

ggwp Mayweather
mayatomr_gdlk.gif

Hylian7

You guys are a shining example of the Dota community.

WTT Huskar/SK immortals for Magnus immortal (when possible)

Please help a brother get a slammin' hammer.

**Midas spectre ain't so great cause (assuming you're going radiance as you should on 6.84) you're just going to delay your real farm item. Not to mention she gets basically nill from AS.

Thank you for actually providing something other than nonsense. That does make sense, I honestly have never thought of Radiance as purely a farm item since it takes so long to get compared to other farm items. Why is Midas suddenly a no-no in 6.84 though? Or am I misunderstanding that bit you mentioned about it?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't think Midas is suddenly a bad item it plays the same role it always did. And I don't think it's a good choice on Spectre really.

Hylian7

in Hylians defense I see Midas Spec all the time in NEL.... stop being juvenile douchebags

I don't think Midas is suddenly a bad item it plays the same role it always did. And I don't think it's a good choice on Spectre really.

Thank you both, what would you get on Spec in the early game though? I don't play the hero often and I've seen a multitude of answers like Urn Crimson/Vanguard, etc. I always feel just completely useless until Radiance most of the time on Spectre.

Artanisix

I mean... you just said it yourself. Why don't you think it out logically?

-i feel useless until radiance
-what can i get to help me survive until radiance?
*vanguard, urn help me survive ganks and let me join teamfights without too much fear of dying
*midas can help accelerate my farm if i have a proper support group, but it forces me to avoid fighting while enemy heroes are hitting their prime nuke power

"in Hylians defense I see Midas Spec all the time in NEL.... stop being juvenile douchebags"

NEL has players who can properly support and make space for your carry in a team-oriented environment. And you won't see midas on spectre in any professional game for good reason.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I dunno, I'm not a super high skill player but I generally like Radiance on Spectre. You just gotta get it fast. If it's not working out for me I'd generally just go for the Diff blade/yasha/etc. or a more defensive build if I'm getting bullied. It just helps her farm really well and is annoying as shit with your ult.

We all spend a lot of time looking to break conventional item builds and there's definitely some value to it and you can make it work, but some heroes just buy certain items because they work well with their skillset, and we don't have to be unorthodox with everything.

The one thing I noticed most about playing again is my complete lack of map awareness as I get reaccustomed with all the other mechanics.

Something to work on for sure.

And Midas on Spectre just doesn't really fit the way the hero works. Generally you get one "farming item" at most, be it Radiance, Battlefury, or Midas. Two is overkill. And Spectre usually wants Radiance. If you don't plan on getting Radiance, Midas is passable, but a fairly weak item for the hero since she doesn't get too much out of the extra levels (or attack speed). You've weakened an already weak early game in the mean time.

Lone Druid might get Radiance and Midas, but he's sort of two heroes so that's an outlier.

But this is coming from my general Dota knowledge which is a year+ old at this point, so perhaps not completely on point.

TUSR

Banned
also, you were building towards a butterfly right?

radiance gives the enemy team a 17% miss chance these days, build towards something else.

Artanisix

Lone Druid benefits massively from the attack speed, which is why midas is perfectly fine for him. Spectre benefits very little from AS until lategame.

Butterfly is also pretty bad on Spec until you get raw hit points. You want to survive and disperse as much damage as you can while spreading radiaids.

Hylian7

Also a patch just dropped, what did it do?

Lone Druid benefits massively from the attack speed, which is why midas is perfectly fine for him. Spectre benefits very little from AS until lategame.

Butterfly is also pretty bad on Spec until you get raw hit points. You want to survive and disperse as much damage as you can while spreading radiaids.

Hmm, yeah, I wasn't sure what to get next since the AM wasn't going to be dying to any Radiance, so I thought maybe getting the additional evasion and illusion damage on the AM might help.

Thank you both, what would you get on Spec in the early game though? I don't play the hero often and I've seen a multitude of answers like Urn Crimson/Vanguard, etc. I always feel just completely useless until Radiance most of the time on Spectre.

If you're truly getting free farm, a quick Radiance can pin down the enemy team quite a bit when HP items aren't fully up on their cores and the burn is actually something to be scared of. The added ability to blind the entire team helps a lot.

If not free farm, honestly I would go diffusal first and Haunt/Reality into guaranteed pickoffs (no matter how much your team may whine about kill stealing). The change means as long as you kill before the Haunt ends you can simply swap back to your illusion and keep farming. The mana burn/damage and the slow/purge does a lot more work than you might think.

I guess I could understand getting midas if you play her really really passively but with a quick Radiance you shouldn't need it for the same reason you shouldn't need it on AM (a hero you know better). In addition to all the reasons above remember that illusions don't even benefit from the attack speed bonus.

Slahser made the urn build super popular and I understand it and tried it somewhat successfully a few times but again, it requires you to be very active and participating in as many kills as possible. I don't personally love defensive builds (I don't even like heart) but those make more sense than midas imo.

Good thing Mayweather abused that glimmer cape before the nerf

EDIT: Urn is a good item on Spectre, because it has good synergy with haunt and really useful both offensively and defensively. You can also just get a value vit booster if you're feeling pressured (raw HP is really useful with dispersion), which you can make into a heart after you get radiance to accelerate your farm.

Haunt is a tremendous skill in the early/mid game, and it's what sets spectre apart from other hard carries imo. Being able to farm heroes instead of just creeps, and being able to farm and also participate in any fight on the map at a moment's notice are huge for her. If you want to just AFK farm there are better heroes for that, I think. Also, I think the radiance buff is huge for her, since her tankability and mobility has always been more dangerous than her damage, so the miss chance is pretty amazing.

Urn Spectre makes a surprising amount of sense since you really do need something to tide you over until Radiance. Free charges from just pressing R every time someone's about to die is neat too.

I feel like Midas Spectre could work on a non-Radiance build since Midas > Radiance is way, way too greedy. Diffusal rush maybe?

Artanisix

I don't really see the point, it'd be much better to just a build a Yasha if you wanted to go that route since agi does benefit illusions, it increases the speed of illusions, and it builds into a manta for more illusions.

Quesa

Starting to think ES is gonna be way more reliant on lane buddies instead of reliably getting kills before six. But a support w/ stun+es is probably not very good unless you're looking at getting nothing but farm denial out of said lane.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
130 feels a bit heavy, but I guess they really want to emphasize that it's intended more for int heroes than your physical cores.

Oh well, I hope everyone have a fun few days with it. I'm still going to hit it!

shira

$30k Asus PIC May 3 Q: [A], NIP, VP, Lemondogs(4FC)
t1430643600z1.png

$87k RedBull SF May 5-10 Q: MY, iG, Secret, HR, Summer's Rift
t1430856000z4.png

$79k D2CL5 Berlin May 9-10 Q: Burden, Empire, NIP, VG
t1431176400z1.png

$264k TS3 LA May 13-17 Q: VG, Rave, Secret, C9, NoT, LGD, iG, EG
t1431536400z1.png

$414k, i-League 3 May 19-24 Q: LGD, Tinker, MY, [A], +4
t1432058400z1.png

TI5 Qualifiers: last week of May

$90,000 WCA-NA Burbank Jun 1-2
t1433185200z4.png

$100k, MLG2: Austin Jun 4-7 Q: Empire, EG +6
$322k MarsTV Shanghai June 3-7 Q: LGD, Cloud9 +6
t1433437200z1.png

$100k, DL Jonkoping Jun 13-16 Q: +6
t1434214800z1.png

$250k, ESL1 Frankfurt Jun 20-21 Qualified: EG, VG, Secret, VP, [A], +3
t1434819600z1.png

$89k, WCA-CN Jul 4-6 Q: +4
t1435932000z1.png

IHL2 Grand Final Jul 17-19 Q: +2
t1437163200z4.png

$4.6m TI5 Jul 28 - Aug 8
t1438110000z4.png

WCA - PAX Aug 28-31
t1440788400z4.png

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I play with a 5 stack that is actually incapable of ever doing anything together.

Armaros

I feel like this is a bit of a constant struggle for Icefrog. A lot of stuff ends up being abused by right-clickers.

And Reddit being outraged for 'support' players.

As if all of a sudden support was Reddit's favorite position and everyone was only using glimmer cape on their supports,

So that means Icefrog hates supports. /s

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Ok IF gifting ever gets fixed

I have two NS immortals to trade to the good folk of doto gaf. Since a few people want one, we shall have a little contest.

the best MS paint drawing of night stalker will get one set.

and the second set is up for trade for w/e items/steam games you deem worthy. I really dunno what the set is worth but just make an offer you feel is fair. Both sets will have the winner decided at 3:00pm EST tomorrow!

also had a celebratory NS game, hadn't played the hero for a year.

yVcDOW9.png

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1442865637

I was underwhelmed by the aghs value for a 4k item. Wish I had gotten deso earlier instead. but the game was a total stomp so it was w/e. 13 minute basher / dom helm / phase OP.

5OGYSip.png

So now GC has went from an item anyone can buy to a situational item that only some heroes can take full advantage of. Sounds like every other item in the game to me

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah, I like the glimmer cape nerf.

>Reddit whines hard about glimmer cape
>Glimmer cape nerfed
>Reddit immediately whines about overnerf

Nerf was spot on, an item that powerful (and cheap) needs a high mana cost to ensure it isn't abused by certain carries (or tinker), and limited to once or twice a fight for int heroes that aren't too high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom