• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
because people don't like waiting in queues to play? See WoW/diablo.

I just don't get it, they bitch the servers are crashing due to to many players, Valve realizes "Geez, we can't have that", so they implement a queue so the servers (Hopefully) don't crash, and then 900k people can play and the rest can wait a bit.

But no, clearly a large international network can be fixed by tossing money at the problem. I mean, its not like nearly every other large game has a log in queue, Volvo is just cheap.

I just don't get it, they bitch the servers are crashing due to to many players, Valve realizes "Geez, we can't have that", so they implement a queue so the servers (Hopefully) don't crash, and then 900k people can play and the rest can wait a bit.

But no, clearly a large international network can be fixed by tossing money at the problem. I mean, its not like nearly every other large game has a log in queue, Volvo is just cheap.
Yea Leeg has the occasional queue too. Much more frequently than Dota2. Then again, its player base is also like 4x larger.

woodland

Or instead of tossing money at the servers/creating a queue, Valve could just put the event up throughout the course of the day with reduced drop options so as not to sink the economy.

But hey, Valve's great.

Or instead of tossing money at the servers/creating a queue, Valve could just put the event up throughout the course of the day with reduced drop options so as not to sink the economy.

But hey, Valve's great.
Are these items basically unreadable? One time gifting? Why would they effect the economy?

Quesa

B9zxZA_CUAAwu7u.jpg:large

Hylian7

Valentines day tradition of the servers shitting themselves.

Actually in 2012 they were down for maintenance on Valentines day

manfestival

I am beyond bad in this meta. I dont know whats going on but I cant get wins. feels like 6.79 all over again

team always throws.... I cant

Haunted

Game reaches all-time concurrent peak record on Valentine's Day.

How appropriate.

Played my first game as Winter Wyvern! I think I like her? The W is a powerful harassing tool with low cd early, but its damage does fall off quickly. And she's really fucking terrible for solo kills. Probably played best as a big teamfight support for 5-man strats, hanging back, healing, chucking blasts with her ridiculous range. Super hard to land a great ultimate because she's so squishy and finding the right positioning and the right target isn't easy.

Game reaches all-time concurrent peak record on Valentine's Day.

How appropriate.

Played my first game as Winter Wyvern! I think I like her? The W is a powerful harassing tool with low cd early, but its damage does fall off quickly. And she's really fucking terrible for solo kills. Probably played best as a big teamfight support for 5-man strats, hanging back, healing, chucking blasts with her ridiculous range. Super hard to land a great ultimate because she's so squishy and finding the right positioning and the right target isn't easy.
Blink dagger is recommended and considered core for a reason.

Wok

Game started without me, and the server won't le me reconnect. WTF.

I am looking for another brawl now.

Big Dog

Maybe by March 2nd I will actually play a game of Year Beast Brawl. Right after everyone picks a hero it always crashes...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The range is long enough that you don't need precision positioning like you do with Enigma. Force staff is good enough for her, and useful in other situations.

Unless you're gunning for the 5 man Curse dream, even hitting 3 with it is a gamechanger.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Maybe by March 2nd I will actually play a game of Year Beast Brawl. Right after everyone picks a hero it always crashes...

> has server issues all day every day
> creates game mode that will cause the servers to be under extreme load for ten minutes a day

actually don't think she needs it, i'd rather get a euls for mass mana regen and movespeed since her ms is so bad
Why wouldn't you get both? I don't understand how this managed to become an either or scenario.
The range is long enough that you don't need precision positioning like you do with Enigma. Force staff is good enough for her, and useful in other situations.

Unless you're gunning for the 5 man Curse dream, even hitting 3 with it is a gamechanger.
She is objectively stronger with either than without, with blink being the best mobility item in the game and one that comes at no mana cost on a hero that needs every point of mana she can hold onto. Why is this a point of contention? Nobody *needs* to have anything. But some items are core for a reason.

ViviOggi

This event is so fucking bad holy SHIT

"pick early game heroes guys" hovers over luna then locks in void
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png
meanwhile at enemy team krob, CyKa, kotl of light, bristle, qop of pain 14 min rax gg

2nd game in a row I'm grouped with people who have no idea what to do.

playing this mode solo is probably my worst gaming experience.

fukin tell me about it gotta group with GAFfers next time

Wok

And a fifth win. I have been pretty lucky recently. I have consistently been matched with great teammates.

Haly

Why wouldn't you get both? I don't understand how this managed to become an either or scenario.
I guess you're not very familiar with playing position 10 support. I consider having both Euls and Blink on a support a straight up stomp.

Why is this a point of contention? Nobody *needs* to have anything. But some items are core for a reason.
A core item is one that is effectively a necessity because it's straight up better than every possible alternative. Aghs on Warlock is core. Blink on Magnus is core.

Blink on WW is no more core than Blink on SF is core. Blink SF enables a very specific kind of initiation/positioning based gameplay, but he has other build paths that don't need Blink at all. Similarly, Drow, Troll and Sniper have a choice between "gotta go fast" builds (MoM, yasha) or "look at me I'm a ranged anti-mage" (Blink), all depending on team comps and matchups.

This is the space I think WW exists in. Blink is very nice to have on her like it is nice to have on CM, but they can both cast their spells without it because of their extremely long range. And, it's not always a given that the enemy team is stupid enough to bunch together for 5 man curses. In that scenario your Blink would've been better off as a flexible Force Staff or Euls.

You're treating her as Sand King when she is really closer to CM or Phoenix.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yeah I don't think blink on wyvern is core at all, it's a situational/personal-preference item. She has such long range on most of her abilities, and you can just use her ulti to counter-initiate* (*credit to milkman) or just follow up on something like a dark seer/mag.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i'm so fed up of seeing troll warlord. i want him to be hit with the nerf bat so hard in the next patch that even if he was then subsequently given buffs in every patch from now until the rapture, he will still be considered so poor that picking him would cause his team to instantly quit in disgust because of how bad a handicap having troll warlord on your team represents.

Big Dog

i'm so fed up of seeing troll warlord. i want him to be hit with the nerf bat so hard in the next patch that even if he was then subsequently given buffs in every patch from now until the rapture, he will still be considered so poor that picking him would cause his team to instantly quit in disgust because of how bad a handicap having troll warlord on your team represents.

Troll is such a fun hero. I think he will have to be hit ultra hard for me to stop picking him in pubs. Probably just needs a change to whirling axes radius or his ult viability for pros to stop picking him though.

Haunted

actually don't think she needs it, i'd rather get a euls for mass mana regen and movespeed since her ms is so bad
I didn't see a guide for her yet so not knowing a lot about her I just did the sensible thing and ignored all Valve suggested items and went the usual intelligence support items - mana boots -> urn -> force staff -> eul's, while being the ward bitch.

edit: also, team sent me mid, which I didn't expect. Went fine against Jugger, though. I prioritised the W over the heal because of it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Troll is such a fun hero. I think he will have to be hit ultra hard for me to stop picking him in pubs. Probably just needs a change to whirling axes radius or his ult viability for pros to stop picking him though.

yes i detailed how hard i would like hm to be ideally hit

I guess you're not very familiar with playing position 10 support. I consider having both Euls and Blink on a support a straight up stomp.

A core item is one that is effectively a necessity because it's straight up better than every possible alternative. Aghs on Warlock is core. Blink on Magnus is core.

Blink on WW is no more core than Blink on SF is core. Blink SF enables a very specific kind of initiation/positioning based gameplay, but he has other build paths that don't need Blink at all. Similarly, Drow, Troll and Sniper have a choice between "gotta go fast" builds (MoM, yasha) or "look at me I'm a ranged anti-mage" (Blink), all depending on team comps and matchups.

This is the space I think WW exists in. Blink is very nice to have on her like it is nice to have on CM, but they can both cast their spells without it because of their extremely long range. And, it's not always a given that the enemy team is stupid enough to bunch together for 5 man curses. In that scenario your Blink would've been better off as a flexible Force Staff or Euls.

I don't disagree. The point has always been that the hero needs mobility. The hero values it greatly as a necessary tool to move itself around team fights and get into position for essential skills to be cast at the right times. Whether blink or force, both provide a means to the same ends: getting to the right place at the right time as a hero who needs it.

I will continue to prefer blink early in matches where large aoe abilities won't disable it because I've found that the aoe around the ulted target isn't that large and players will better learn to play around it. As such, I expect precise positioning to get off the ult will be come *more* important over time, not less. But either way, the overarching point remains and I think we all agree: mobility is essential on this hero beyond buying boots. Whatever mobility item you buy (all 3 are reasonable purchases on this hero, imo), the point is you'll be buying a big mobility item to address the needs the hero has in order to maximize ults in most matches. Beyond this, we're debating for debate's sake, and quite frankly, that's a waste of our time. No need to miss the forest for the trees.

Tieske

Neo Member

Her ult is pretty much primal roar with a different flavour, so I think she's in the same boat as Beastmaster. You have some options early (necro mostly, mek maybe, aghs rush I guess?) but you still prioritize blink in most games

now blink is not a necessity for her other skills, but i don't think she has a really other strong item option with good synergy. Euls probably works as you said, but I personally think blink still gives the best potential for setup

fume some more at the power of TROLL WARLORD

Haly

Well, anyway.

I hope she gets an aghs effect alone the lines of: "Affected units will attempt to cast non-ult offensive spells at the Cursed target."

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom