• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT9| League of Ancients (6.84)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really interested in jumping into the map maker but I'm worried my maps won't be ported over when source 2 hits so I'm reluctant to start putting serious work into a map.

Is there a go-to general guide/over view to the map tools in dota 2? I fooled around with the sc2editor when I was kid, and now I know a few programming languages, I'd really like to work on a custom map.

i'm so fed up of seeing troll warlord. i want him to be hit with the nerf bat so hard in the next patch that even if he was then subsequently given buffs in every patch from now until the rapture, he will still be considered so poor that picking him would cause his team to instantly quit in disgust because of how bad a handicap having troll warlord on your team represents.

:(

Atleast give him a few months, Invoker and Lone Druid were strong picks for like years. Last time Troll was picked competitively he was nerfed within like a month. I think rampage permanently burned icefraud and how he handles Troll.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Really interested in jumping into the map maker but I'm worried my maps won't be ported over when source 2 hits so I'm reluctant to start putting serious work into a map.

Is there a go-to general guide/over view to the map tools in dota 2? I fooled around with the sc2editor when I was kid, and now I know a few programming languages, I'd really like to work on a custom map
The map should work fine, the mod tools run in source 2. Valve has broken stuff in the past when adding new features, so you may need to adjust it when custom games fully launch.

for resources, there is a dev wiki with guides and info, a subreddit with a lot of resources, and I know there was an irc channel mod maker used to gather in that I assume is still alive.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Matt, how does your year beast tracker work? Is there an api that reports it? I want to try and make some script that will text me when it's going to go live, I missed a round last night due to playing Hearthstone.

Year Beast timer tracker is working.
horse.gif

http://dota2.cyborgmatt.com/prizetracker/yearbeast

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think treads are better on her so you can apply/reapply the Q debuff faster + she needs the stats.
Can't reapply the debuff.
WW is really good, I just haven't settled on how to build her.

Probably as flex support, building whatever is needed.

Mek..., Euls..., Force.

Mana boots feel like a waste on her, she's not very mana intensive at all. I prefer to go with treads for that sweet sweet 1 million range attack.
I think flex support is the right option.
The only thing she needs is levels, which is balanced by the fact she is a FUCKING HORRIBLE LANER (sans super agressive tri) and even worse offlaner. Can't jungle early due to mana issues either.

In current meta you don't want to give up mid to WW, but I could see it being viable like a BM/DP.

m3gC4TU.png

QVDUeVO.png

Wins are offlane.
Lost game was just losing teamfights since PL didn't get his diffusal until like minute 28 since he kept dying like an idiot and out Slark had 1.8k ping spikes.

Offlane: People just don't deward and I get XP. I get tranqs for sustain and armor, then build into Force/Soul Ring/Medallion depending on comp and how laning phase goes. I think after you hit 6/7 you can play like a roaming Skywrath since you have 2x slow and a low CD ult. If you kept up in levels the nuke hit it hits level 4 is insanely broken for pushing / defending. Also oneshots ranged creeps until like minute 38.

Most recent game was vs an Alch and ES so I could dodge stun and fly over fissure so I never died in the offlane.

On items:
I like force over blink since if caught out I can use it and cliff walk, and also move enemies I want focused together, plus the extra mana is nice.
Medallion I feel is really strong since it helps you focus targets, gives you nice armor, it's just so cheap for what it does and helps with WW 3.1 INT gain.
Euls is no brainer.
Vlads was late game pickup for stat heavy carrys.

So far I find WW super fun to play as and the ulti isn't as broken as I thought, but still pretty damn good. People are still learning so when I Cursed -> Sven Stun -> He didn't follow up since he didn't know it went though Enigma's BKB. Oh well :(

Big Dog

Reddit is on to you Matt! If this is real, then maybe want to watch yourself for appearing online or something. At the bottom of the friends playing Dota area you can see that Cyborgmatt is playing Arc Warden (Lvl 1).

glk6oug.png

Hylian7

Reddit is on to you Matt! If this is real, then maybe want to watch yourself for appearing online or something. At the bottom of the friends playing Dota area you can see that Cyborgmatt is playing Arc Warden (Lvl 1).

glk6oug.png

It's probably just that profile status thing you can set, people did that all the time before Techies release where they would make it say "playing as Techies (Lvl 3)"

Acinixys

It's probably just that profile status thing you can set, people did that all the time before Techies release where they would make it say "playing as Techies (Lvl 3)"

I doubt Matt is 12 years old and trying to impress his friends Hylian

He needs to be more sneaky with his testing

FACE

Banned
i'm so fed up of seeing troll warlord. i want him to be hit with the nerf bat so hard in the next patch that even if he was then subsequently given buffs in every patch from now until the rapture, he will still be considered so poor that picking him would cause his team to instantly quit in disgust because of how bad a handicap having troll warlord on your team represents.

Troll Warlord is manageable, Juggernaut on the other hand...

73V3N

Banned
so match just started and ..

"disconnected from server"

nice

EDIT:

"server was unable to locate the game session"

BraXzy

Awesome, just played my first year beast match and we wrecked. I don't quite get how upgrading works but GG anyway!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
'what, this isnt normal dota?' - my 4 stack vs. organized pushing slark/ogre/omni/necro lineup

cool game mode

Big Dog

Got my third year beast win, always love getting couriers

Recently I have given myself the goal of acquiring all of the Legendary couriers in the game. Seems like a fun thing to try because couriers are probably my favorite aspect and the Legendaries are mainly the nicest ones besides the ultra expensive Immortal ones I could never buy. Damn, just checked the wiki and I have to get myself both the Jade and Gold couriers for the event. I was hoping to avoid year beast from now on...

Indignate

Brought back a year beast game against a 5-stack as Abaddon. Hero is too good.

Shame that they replaced the Aegis option for a mana refill one. I guess they're trying to make it less P2W with less powerful options.

Well I just got one of those Year Beast "game is up but then goes down" disconnects.. going to have to eat an abandon.

Think I'm going to wait a few more days before trying again.

Jadax

pfft grouped with dumbass Russians who don't choose any starting skills, then proceed to troll tp beast to death every time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Got demolished by a four stack. This was their lineup:

SF
Venge
UD
WD

Really good. I suggest you gafstacks run a comp like this if you're gunning for couriers. You want heroes that can clash early and reliably. That means ranged stuns, range heroes, aura cleave, heal and high sustained damage.

There seem to be two ways to use year beasts so far:

1) Split push. 5 man take whatever lane their year beast is in and attempt to burst it down. Your year beast pushes another lane.

2) Fight with year beast. Usually this ends in a stalemate unless your team has the superior team fight, at which point its gg.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll have to give WD a try.

Also, to be clear, you can't give the Year Beast an Aegis anymore, right? It was replaced with Global Chakra Magic?

GorillaJu

Totally stomped mine. Wyvern is a monster in this mode. The heal keeps your beast alive so much longer than they can keep theirs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Totally stomped mine. Wyvern is a monster in this mode. The heal keeps your beast alive so much longer than they can keep theirs.

That works? Going have to do that. Hope the year beast shows up once more before bed, I want to play a round today.

GorillaJu

That works? Going have to do that. Hope the year beast shows up once more before bed, I want to play a round today.

Yeah, it works extremely well, especially against tower pushes. Beast will tank tower dmg but will take 0 of it and heal up in the process. Short cooldown, too.

My team didn't appear made for the mode but it worked well. Cent, Sniper, Wyvern, Weaver, Rhasta. Wyvern and Rhasta are pretty awesome though. The wards give you a huge advantage.

Oh also the Year Beast is affected by WW's ult so you can turn the enemy's YB against them.

JambiBum

Her ult also works on the YB too. Since everyone kind of groups around the beast you can get it in the AOE of the ult and just have it destroy one of the heroes. It's not really worth it to target the YB with your ult because the other team can't really bring it down fast enough without abilities

Blu(e)

I'll have to give WD a try.

Also, to be clear, you can't give the Year Beast an Aegis anymore, right? It was replaced with Global Chakra Magic?

Yeah WD is the reason why I've gotten my three wins. Stun is great and his heal is good in team clashes. Ulti wrecks people since people are focused on bursting down the Year Beast.

Might go for the jadehorn courier and see how far the trophy progress goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom