• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Shadow_the_Hedgehog_Coverart.png

Russ T

Banned
so?

game is bad yeah, but that reason is such a shallow circlejerky one.

Is it? If the best part - and, indeed, the whole point - of the game is going fast, but the level design actively prevents going fast until you learn the levels, isn't that bad?

I also think the racing game comparison is not a good one! In a racing game, the courses and mechanics are designed such that you go fast at all times unless you fuck up (or sometimes in places where the courses are designed to intentionally slow you down). Sure, you can go faster with practice, but a competent player will never be stopped by an obstacle flying in off the screen out of nowhere in most racing games. (Let's not talk about Mario Kart, for now, as that game has a different goal in mind.)

Sonic, on the other hand, ostensibly wants you to go fast, but puts these tiny little bumps in the path that COMPLETELY stop you. Not even just slow you down, like when you bump against a wall in a racing game, but literally just stop you in place so that you have to build up momentum again. And again. And again. That's not you fucking up, either. That's you not having the necessary information to avoid fucking up.

THAT'S A LOT OF WORDS FOR SOMETHING I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT MUCH. WHAT CAN I SAY I MAKE GAMES FOR A LIVING SO I THINK ABOUT THIS SHIT.

inkls

Is it? If the best part - and, indeed, the whole point - of the game is going fast, but the level design actively prevents going fast until you learn the levels, isn't that bad?

I also think the racing game comparison is not a good one! In a racing game, the courses and mechanics are designed such that you go fast at all times unless you fuck up (or sometimes in places where the courses are designed to intentionally slow you down). Sure, you can go faster with practice, but a competent player will never be stopped by an obstacle flying in off the screen out of nowhere in most racing games. (Let's not talk about Mario Kart, for now, as that game has a different goal in mind.)

Sonic, on the other hand, ostensibly wants you to go fast, but puts these tiny little bumps in the path that COMPLETELY stop you. Not even just slow you down, like when you bump against a wall in a racing game, but literally just stop you in place so that you have to build up momentum again. And again. And again. That's not you fucking up, either. That's you not having the necessary information to avoid fucking up.

THAT'S A LOT OF WORDS FOR SOMETHING I REALLY DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT MUCH. WHAT CAN I SAY I MAKE GAMES FOR A LIVING SO I THINK ABOUT THIS SHIT.

fair enough

Top Bottom