• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thanks for the input guys, maybe I should follow up on some, even though I am not actively looking for anything just yet.

What is with the goofy Team Liquid voice
crazy.gif

TUSR

Banned
Thanks for the input guys, maybe I should follow up on some, even though I am not actively looking for anything just yet.

What is with the goofy Team Liquid voice
crazy.gif
Put up your skills, academic history, etc with a nice picture

Doesn't hurt

Twookie

finished uncharted 4 yesterday, pretty amazing game tbqh, looks bloody amazing too
makes the wait for overwatch and the new compendium(whenever that is?) a lot shorter

blitz and GARETH

gareth/durka is the worst caster, why couldn't it be the amazing cap and blitz cast instead??

Madouu

AA wrecks the DP/WW strat, Also CK wants the two first fights to go well to kind of snowball from there, but aui messed up the first time by not catching Sylla and then stunning a snowballing Tusk, and the second time by pulling BM only to get roared. From there, he was pretty much a non factor. Not impressed by aui CK.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
.....why are we talking about void buffs???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Because void can't kill a DK, Lifestealer, AND Bristle in chrono even with a wisp on the enemy team DUUUHH. It's like people forget the traditional counter to void carry is just go tanky.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Because void can't kill a DK, Lifestealer, AND Bristle in chrono even with a wisp on the enemy team DUUUHH. It's like people forget the traditional counter to void carry is just go tanky.

Also people over look that Void was nerfed to be less hard carry and more utility carry.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Richard "Chokemaster" Lewis on Dota vs. CSGO tournaments.

RLewis interview summary said:
"He talks about many things, but to summarize the most important are: 1) casters in CSGO can speak freely, in dota they are terrified to speak their minds cause players have huge reach over them 2) dota has cult-like community 3) there are real storylines in CSGO, in dota there are fake narratives due to teams swapping players every 3 months 4) production value of most dota tournaments is terrible 5) Dull panels 6) less entertaining game to watch in general"

Was immediately deleted off r/dota2, *insert popgaf statement about queen dota dying, being a subpar game, or something like that*.

Everything said was right thought.

Not just the players have a hold over them, Valve seem to - casters don't want to lose the chance to go to The International.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think the main topic/question directed at him was: why do CS tournaments usually draw a lot more crowds and viewers than dota2 tournaments (aside from TI I guess)?

Yeah the last point is pure opinion, I think a better one would have been that CS is just very simple to watch. There's still a lot of strategy and complication on the backend, but for someone tuning in it's pretty easy to jump into: aim crosshair, kill the enemy is the basic and easily identifiable premise. Dota is a lot more overwhelming to relatively new viewers.

TUSR

Banned
It's simply easier for the uninitiated to appreciate good plays too, seeing crazy angle shots, reaction timing, etc with instant replays.

None of this excuses Dota panels from their lack of professionalism at times compared to the level CS hits.

I also feel that between games, there is less dead air. As in, panel members are not grasping for things to comment on while the matches are about to start.

CS:GO's viewership is built up from all the current top esports games and their own community. It's easy to follow and one of the only esports to draw in a large audience from both Dota and League's player base.

I think the main topic/question directed at him was: why do CS tournaments usually draw a lot more crowds and viewers than dota2 tournaments (aside from TI I guess)?

Yeah the last point is pure opinion, I think a better one would have been that CS is just very simple to watch. There's still a lot of strategy and complication on the backend, but for someone tuning in it's pretty easy to jump into: aim crosshair, kill the enemy is the basic premise and easily identifiable premise. Dota is a lot more overwhelming to relatively new viewers.

At least 4 of the points are pure opinion and come off as biased, though CS is easier to get into watching. Aside from Dota being way harder to just "jump into", it's harder to start watching in the middle of a game and figure out what the state of the game is, there's too many factors to take into account(net worths, buildings, items, lineups, etc).

I don't watch much CS GO but when I did start it only really took me a few rounds to figure out the basics of what's going on, took me a lot of fucking games of watching dota to understand maybe a few basic mechanics.

And yeah, production values and casting/panels in Dota are just under par, I blame the casting/panels part on it being really fucking hard to get a decent gig as a newcomer, we hardly ever see any new talent and I'm sure it's not because of lack of interest. The last person that I remember really breaking through was ODPixel and that was purely because Reddit liked his memeing, he would not have gotten anything going otherwise. There's a lot of people who should not be getting hired for casts anymore that still are.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
None of this excuses Dota panels from their lack of professionalism at times compared to the level CS hits.

Dota panels/casts are just so residentsleepr compared to CS. I've said it before and I'll say it again, CS production and casting as a whole just makes the dota guys look like they are making a 2006 youtube home-video straight from their garage. The quality difference is remarkable in nearly every aspect: entertainment, voice, analysis, everything. Granted, it's been pointed out that dota is a much more difficult game to cast, there's a lot more dead air time in dota.

But to me it just feels like the people that were "granfathered" into the dota scene are just... trash, but also liked by the community because they were just always there or something. Whereas CS got lucky and those same people that got "grandfathered" in just run much better tourneys from panels to the casts, to the fun stuff in between. Dunno, hard to pinpoint.

Top Bottom