• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

I'd be interested in something that allows for video production and won't bottleneck a 980 (maybe a 1070 down the road). Right now my 4670 won't let me comfortably play dota/OW while playing a high-end game.

afaik bottlenecking between the GPU/CPU is mostly about the software. Really though, just get a modern i5/i7 that suits your budget. Overclock it a bit if you need a tad more juice. I've been using an i5 3570k overclocked to 4.0 for years and the only games i run in to serious CPU limitation on are MMOs.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
every nvidia card ive had has broke within a year

every amd card has lasted me at least 4 years

just sayin

tho amd cards do run very hot ill give u that

shira

JUST GOT MY CUTE MEI SKIN GOTY

Enjoy your nodrivers and it burning your house down.
81bTHBS4MC4zC.gif

Heavy and keep your house warm in canadian winter

Syder

Just had a winning game thrown by a KOTL ulti TPing the whole team onto cliffs.

Shit like this needs serious repercussions. Even though he was doing it to our entire team and the opposition could see it, I think I could only convince about 2 other people from my team to report him.

This seriously needs like a week in low prio.

Hylian7

hardest hero ever shit

play lina or qop
Wouldn't recommend QoP to a new player. Ult is easy to whiff of you aren't used to the animation, and having a blink and being very squishy is a bad combination for a new player, as their Blinks would often be too aggressive.

Lina is great though, Zeus is simple, Dragon Knight, Huskar, and Viper are also straightforward. Keep in mind that not all of those heroes may be in the meta right now, but that's okay for learning the game, as no one in your games will know what they are doing either.

Hylian7

Just had a winning game thrown by a KOTL ulti TPing the whole team onto cliffs.

Shit like this needs serious repercussions. Even though he was doing it to our entire team and the opposition could see it, I think I could only convince about 2 other people from my team to report him.

This seriously needs like a week in low prio.
There is a good chance he got LPQ for that, the system is good at picking up stuff like that, no matter how many people report him. I don't know if they ever brought back the "action taken" message, but back when it was up, I used to get it within 10 minutes after the game I reported someone in pretty much every time.

Wouldn't recommend QoP to a new player. Ult is easy to whiff of you aren't used to the animation, and having a blink and being very squishy is a bad combination for a new player, as their Blinks would often be too aggressive.

Lina is great though, Zeus is simple, Dragon Knight, Huskar, and Viper are also straightforward. Keep in mind that not all of those heroes may be in the meta right now, but that's okay for learning the game, as no one in your games will know what they are doing either.
I stand by my believe that skill shots are good for new players' heroes. Just like how single shot weapons are better for teaching someone how to aim in an FPS. If you only use targeted spells (or only spray in an FPS) you'll be caught off when you need to use a skill shot.

Also QoP ult is massive.

Hylian7

So, E3 is in 2 weeks. You guys think anything good will be shown, or will it just be predictable snoozefest?
Predictable snoozefest. I simply don't care about anything Sony and Microsoft are doing, and Nintendo is lol. I'm sure Zelda will be cool, but come on, you have to have more than that. If Zelda is really that good, then it better have the ability to revive the Metroid franchise.

Hylian7

I stand by my believe that skill shots are good for new players' heroes. Just like how single shot weapons are better for teaching someone how to aim in an FPS. If you only use targeted spells (or only spray in an FPS) you'll be caught off when you need to use a skill shot.

Also QoP ult is massive.
I mostly agree, but QoP's is a deceptive skillshot. It will catch players of guard with the animation, and they may not get immediately why they whiffed it. This is all the description of the skill says.

Creates a gigantic wave of sound in front of Queen of Pain, dealing heavy damage to all enemy units in its wake.

Not really much of indication that this is a skillshot. On top of that, the other problems I mentioned (the blink + squishy), make her not a good hero for newer players.

I mostly agree, but QoP's is a deceptive skillshot. It will catch players of guard with the animation, and they may not get immediately why they whiffed it. This is all the description of the skill says.

Not really much of indication that this is a skillshot. On top of that, the other problems I mentioned (the blink + squishy), make her not a good hero for newer players.
I'll give you the bit about her animation and such being a bit clunky.

Blink and squishiness teaches good positioning, though. Similarly, I think clinkz or weaver is better for someone to learn how to properly play carry post-laning stage due to this. Someone like Zeus or Sven in their respective positions is certainly more approachable, though.

Low Tier
?

qops a great mid in the sense that shes ur traditional lane dominating mid while still having a lot of kit and hyper mobility that makes the role so fun. One of the problems with the hero is that she is one of the most position-oriented heroes both offensively and defensively, more than any other hero so it is a skillset you have to learn on the hero that you won't really utilize as much on any other hero.

i recommend wr, lina, viper, razor.

branch into storm, sf, ta, invoker

then whatever else u wanna try

?

qops a great mid in the sense that shes ur traditional lane dominating mid while still having a lot of kit and hyper mobility that makes the role so fun. One of the problems with the hero is that she is one of the most position-oriented heroes both offensively and defensively, more than any other hero so it is a skillset you have to learn on the hero that you won't really utilize as much on any other hero.

i recommend wr, lina, viper, razor.

branch into storm, sf, ta, invoker

then whatever else u wanna try
I don't see how QoP's positioning is something that doesn't translate to other heroes?

Low Tier
I don't see how QoP's positioning is something that doesn't translate to other heroes?

b/c no other mid aggro blinks like qop does on such a short cd. In order to play qop properly you have to be able to keep mental track of enemy cds to determine your next blink.

qop has such short cds and is so tempo based its really not a thing to not optimize her output.

b/c no other mid aggro blinks like qop does on such a short cd. In order to play qop properly you have to be able to keep mental track of enemy cds to determine your next blink.

qop has such short cds and is so tempo based its really not a thing to not optimize her output.

That makes sense, but I don't think that level of depth is going to be relevant below ~4k. I'd rather have someone who's relatively new on a hero that has a strong emphasis on understanding the various hazards of being at varying ranges, while still having a tool to play with said range. QoP's kit being so position heavy may require a high level player to play to her precise strengths (the exact ranges of her spells, utilizing her blink to the utmost) but if you're playing some scrubby ass doto, it's not that complicated.

Low Tier
'Which one of the traditional mids is best for a newbie mid player to learn?'

yea if ur trying to build good habits qops not the hero. Esp. b/c if said player gets comfortable enough with qop's style of aggression, they'll find you can't replicate that with any other hero, which also fucks up your playstyle.

It's better to start with a hero that has a relatively safe range, and push that, then to start with a hero that has a much more varied range that at times is hazardous, and to learn from their deaths.

Honestly, just play WR or Lina. Ginger mids are the way to go if you're learning the position

Is this going to turn into another "what heroes are the best for new players" cause we haven't actually discussed that for a while.

I am pretty sure a person's willingness to learn Dota will be much higher when you're not just sticking them on WK and Lich.

Is this going to turn into another "what heroes are the best for new players" cause we haven't actually discussed that for a while.

I am pretty sure a person's willingness to learn Dota will be much higher when you're not just sticking them on WK and Lich.

This is kind of my take on it, too.

Telling a scrubby player to just play viper or something similar is the opposite of what you want to do. Not only will a hero like that not introduce the player to a variety of skill types, but they're boring as fuck.

I can agree with 1.09's WR and Lina, though. Definitely good newbie heroes. Only reason I didn't mention WR is because whenever people talk about traditional mids I can't help but limit that to mages in my mind.

honestly having played with a bunch of new players the best advice for them was to just random until they found something they were comfortable with and could learn the really really basic stuff

heroes with free escapes are helpful even though they "teach bad habits"

the initial curve is SO high that it helps to be comfortable with something before getting lectured about tread switching or specific item/hero counters or whatever

Real talk, after actually controlling your character and last hitting and the super obvious shit, tower aggro is the thing to teach folks. Shit wins games.

kionedrik

hmmm... to fall in AMDs cheap trap or spend all the grocery money on a 1070?? decisions, decisions...

Is AMD driver support still shit or has it improved at all in the last ~8 years since my last gpu from them?

The first things to learn for beginners: tread switching and camera control.

Last hitting, creep aggro and lane equilibrium should be the first things to teach a new player. Tread switching is a little more advanced, on par with rune control and double waving.

Oh, warding and true sight should also be part of the first lesson.

Wok

Last hitting, creep aggro and lane equilibrium should be the first things to teach a new player. Tread switching is a little more advanced, on par with rune control and double waving.

Oh, warding and true sight should also be part of the first lesson.

What you listed does not win games when one is a true beginner. Even most < 3k do not buy sentry, dust or gem versus invisible opponents. What is game winning for noobs is camera control: where is my hero? where are my opponents? what is happening? why am I dead? where are my teammates? why are they calling for help? The next thing may be tread switching: when you are noob, you are always out of mana, so getting the most of your mana may be lane winning.

tread switching for sub 3k is fucking useless. Most of the folks down there don't even understand how to use their mana. Having like 50 more isn't going to matter since they're going to use it inconsequentially anyway.

kionedrik

AMD driver support is fine these days. The folks saying otherwise don't have an AMD GPU, or are memeing

What about power consumption and overheating? Also exaggeration or is there some truth to that?

What you listed does not win games when one is a true beginner. Even most < 3k do not buy sentry, dust or gem versus invisible opponents. What is game winning for noobs is camera control: where is my hero? where are my opponents? what is happening? why am I dead? where are my teammates? why are they calling for help? The next thing may be tread switching: when you are noob, you are always out of mana, so getting the most of your mana may be lane winning.

I still think teaching someone new how not to push the wave aka not auto-attacking creeps and how not to draw agro from creeps is the best way to start. If you keep pushing your lane you'll exponentially increase the chances of dying, especially when you have zero map awareness (which is something that can't be taught and comes from experience). Also, how is warding not game winning? Teaching them the importance of wards, how to deward, ward spots, etc... is crucial in the beginning, especially if you want to teach them how to use the map, control the camera and be aware of their surroundings. What you listed is important but I'd put it in 3rd or 4th place of the things they need to "master" in the beginning.

Wok

I still think teaching someone new how not to push the wave aka not auto-attacking creeps and how not to draw agro from creeps is the best way to start. If you keep pushing your lane you'll exponentially increase the chances of dying, especially when you have zero map awareness (which is something that can't be taught and comes from experience). Also, how is warding not game winning? Teaching them the importance of wards, how to deward, ward spots, etc... is crucial in the beginning, especially if you want to teach them how to use the map, control the camera and be aware of their surroundings. What you listed is important but I'd put it in 3rd or 4th place of the things they need to "master" in the beginning.

It depends what you call a beginner.

1) I have tried to teach someone with zero experience in games except Dark Souls (finished several times in NG+, etc.), and it is incredible how even just simultaneous hero and camera control is hard. Watch a game from a beginner's perspective, it is awfully painful.

2) Tread switching is actually very simple on a hero like for instance WK, it can be as simple as saying that you switch to int before casting the stun blast, and then switch back to str. If you notice that you lack mana for your ult, switch to int at the last second. It is very simple, and allows noobs to avoid running back to base for some mana. In beginners' games, lane domination is just making the opponent miss on exp by harassing him and making him walk back to base (with no brown boots). Maybe he will tp back to lane, then proceed to harass again, repeat. Last hits would be missed even if the lane was free, it is more a matter of exp: either the opponent is dead and misses the exp or he goes back to base and misses the exp.

kionedrik

It depends what you call a beginner.

1) I have tried to teach someone with zero experience in games except Dark Souls (finished several times in NG+, etc.), and it is incredible how even just simultaneous hero and camera control is hard. Watch a game from a beginner's perspective, it is awfully painful.

2) Tread switching is actually very simple on a hero like for instance WK, it can be as simple as saying that you switch to int before casting the stun blast, and then switch back to str. If you notice that you lack mana for your ult, switch to int at the last second. It is very simple, and allows noobs to avoid running back to base for some mana. In beginners' games, lane domination is just making the opponent miss on exp by harassing him and making him walk back to base (with no brown boots). Maybe he will tp back to lane, then proceed to harass again, repeat. Last hits would be missed even if the lane was free, it is more a matter of exp: either the opponent is dead and misses the exp or he goes back to base and misses the exp.

Personally, I was horrible at Dark Souls at the start and it wasn't due to the difficulty or how obtuse it was but simply because I hadn't used a controller in 15 or 16 years. So I can relate with your friend there but the difficulty didn't come from the game or it's mechanics but rather from the awkward and different than usual input device (kb+m to controller or vice-versa). And in regards to that game, in the beginning there was no way I was able to manage the character and the camera at the same time, so I focused on only the character until I was comfortable with the new control device and the game itself.

That's what worked for me and, as far as I remember, I did the same with RTSes and similar games, hence why I think learning the basic mechanics of the game (like agro, warding, last-hitting, etc...) are more important in the beginning than competent camera control, map awareness or tread switching, etc, because those are optimization mechanics not basic ones, which will automatically improve, although not always correctly, as time goes by and you feel more comfortable with the game itself.

Anti-Mage is the hardest easy-mechanics hero in the game. People who don't have an eye for seeing an opening to split push should simply never pick that hero. Usually, heroes with simple mechanics have good winrates in pubs because 75% of all games are in the normal bracket, but he is clearly the proof that simple mechanics but the need for an advanced knowledge of split pushing, knowing when to fight, knowing when to ditch, knowing when to farm the jungle and not show on lane, having quick farming patterns without having to waste time on thinking where to hit creeps next etc. make for a hard-ish hero for most people as reflected by his winrates. I'd say this meta is decent decent enough for him (especially against 40% pickrate Slark) and yet he is not stomping normal bracket pubs.

DrPizza

Banned
I have 40 games as that hero and I have a sub 40% winrate. My mirco and decision making with that hero is shit

I always find Broodmother is frustratingly team dependent. Your team has to understand that spider is solo. Spider gaming is all about drawing multiple enemy heroes to her lane, leaving the enemy team weak in other lanes.

All too often idiots want to five man down spider's lane, which completely nullifies the spider threat.

Russ T

Banned
Predictable snoozefest. I simply don't care about anything Sony and Microsoft are doing, and Nintendo is lol. I'm sure Zelda will be cool, but come on, you have to have more than that. If Zelda is really that good, then it better have the ability to revive the Metroid franchise.

No you don't. E3 is a thing of the past. It's a black hole of money, and does no good for anyone at this point.

Top Bottom