• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I'm dying

gPfXg5a.png

Red UFO

It depends what you call a beginner.

I feel like this is a very important aspect when it comes to introducing someone to Dota. There is no perfect concoction of concepts to bring up when showing someone the game, it all depends on how competent they are in general, how quick they are on the uptake with learning new skills, how they learn under pressure, how their general video game skillz/hand-eye co-ordination is, etc.

You definitely could introduce someone to tread switching, pulling camps and stuff like that straight away for some people. For others you have to go over why concepts as basic as "here's why you should always have mana to spare" and "here's why you don't auto-attack creeps in lane."

Predictable snoozefest. I simply don't care about anything Sony and Microsoft are doing, and Nintendo is lol. I'm sure Zelda will be cool, but come on, you have to have more than that. If Zelda is really that good, then it better have the ability to revive the Metroid franchise.
I think you missed the memo on just how dead in the water E3 is at this point.

Hylian7

tread switching for sub 3k is fucking useless. Most of the folks down there don't even understand how to use their mana. Having like 50 more isn't going to matter since they're going to use it inconsequentially anyway.
Not all, 50 mana can easily be the difference between a kill and not a kill, and the HP from strength can be the difference between surviving and not surviving, plus going Agility to use any kind of regen to get more out of it. Tread switching teaches the practical application of stats. You have other methods such as Morphling (not good for beginners) and Armlet (fine for beginners, but only particularly good on a portion of the hero pool, and not as common as Treads), but generally Treads will teach you the practical application of stats.

Like I just mentioned, Armlet is great too. I remember when I started playing, and played a natural Armlet carrier (Skeleton King I think) and got it, I read the description, saw the HP loss when I turn it on and immediately thought "So I only want to turn this on aggressively and then turn it off, if I am running away, it needs to be off." Clearly I overlooked the stats, since I was confused when I turned on that I gained a ton of health and lost a ton when I turned it off. I didn't understand Armlet toggling until I watched a video of it. Keep in mind this was back when the Strength from Armlet took effect all at once rather than incrementally like it is now.

Hylian7

I am sorry. At least most of them are pretty short. ^^

You need a dedicated button to select all units, one for all units but your hero and one for your hero only, thats it. Buy a fast Orchid and have fun.
Control groups fulfill that purpose, and are saved on the cloud for each hero. For her, I use 1 for hero + all spiders, 2 for just spiders, and F1 (use this for all heroes) for just hero.

Oh, and when you have both spiderlings and spiderites, if you box them and make them a control group, it will make all future spiders part of that control group. You can also do units individually if you want, Visage can have the familiars on separate keys and one for all of them, and can stay that way.

Hylian7

Anyone here gotten that Overwatch achievement for hitting a basketball into the goal?

I almost had it yesterday, then a friend barely tapped it midair and HE got the achievement.

One friend did it with Zarya, standing on the opposite side of the table, lining it up with the goal, and barely tapping it with left click.

I saw another gif of it being on the ground right in front of the goal and as Reaper, melee hit it and it bounced up and in.

What's the average game length of Dota 2? Played my first game the other day (usually play League of Legends) and it was 45. Felt pretty long, and wasn't sure if that is normal or not.

Hylian7

re: tread switching before casting manta.

What do you guys have it on when you activate.
Usually primary attribute. Obviously you can't save mana by tread switching in cases like that, but you want the stats for the illusion so it's worth it. Same goes for stuff like Terrorblade images, Naga illusions, PL, etc.

What's the average game length of Dota 2? Played my first game the other day (usually play League of Legends) and it was 45. Felt pretty long, and wasn't sure if that is normal or not.

45 minutes is pretty average. Depending on the strategies of either team, some may run short (<25) and some can go long (I have had a game get past the 90 minute mark). Generally I won't play unless I have at least an hour. The long games are pretty edge cases, but also the most intense ones.

shira

I'd say 30-45 is average. But it can dip as low as 18 minutes and extend well past an hour during extreme circumstances

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

average pub game time is around 41-42 minutes these days (source)

in the past it was as low as 35 and as high as 45, but i like it at this 41 min mark (closest to 40 which is the sweet spot imo)

Wok

It depends on the hero.

Take the best Techies:

Take the best Meepo:

For people who cannot finish games cleanly, 45 min is okayish. There are always these people farming jungle when you could take the throne.

Ah. Thank you, all. I've launched Dota 2 at least 10+ times in my life, and have always been intimidated by the menu. I close out before I ever launch a game, but finally a few days ago I played my first game with a friend. We're huge LoL fans, but wanted to try something new. I'm definitely not a fan of the visuals overall in terms of the models and such, but I really loved some of the actual ability animations and sound effects. The game just felt long and I felt really overwhelmed. I want to stick with it though. By the end of the match, I was having a decent bit of fun.

Hylian7

Ah. Thank you, all. I've launched Dota 2 at least 10+ times in my life, and have always been intimidated by the menu. I close out before I ever launch a game, but finally a few days ago I played my first game with a friend. We're huge LoL fans, but wanted to try something new. I'm definitely not a fan of the visuals overall in terms of the models and such, but I really loved some of the actual ability animations and sound effects. The game just felt long and I felt really overwhelmed. I want to stick with it though. By the end of the match, I was having a decent bit of fun.
You'll find a lot more things are quite different from LoL, but if I have to narrow it down to a few things, here is what they would be:

1. Most heroes don't have "poke" spells. Many spells cost a good chunk of the mana pool early, so you have you be more selective about it.

2. Spells don't aggro the creeps or towers. You can freely cast spells at enemies and not take aggro. Only attacks take aggro. Also some heroes have an attack modifier that can be cast manually, or you can right click it to have it automatically applied to regular attacks. Using these manually does not aggro creeps or tower either, this technique is often referred to as "orb walking".

3. If you hold shift and left click an item from the shop, you can put it in the lower right (or left if you reversed minimap location). It shows all the pieces there required to make the item, and they light up in yellow when it can afford them. The ones with the red S on them require the secret shop.

Anyway good luck, and if you need help you can always ask around here.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I was using the Dota 2 API to test something at work, since I just needed something that gave back Json data, and the things just died on me. Volve plz
facepalm.gif

junkiro slays, aether and wind lace and veil and basically you are jesus christ, or at least one of the lesser prophets

just don't pick it against lifestealer or slark :)

Top Bottom