• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA2 |OT14| i give up like your pubs do

Wok

I have no damn clue, the games were ok, but they were honestly not that great looking back or replaying them. They were technical marvels of their day, but that doesn't make them timeless.

Plus, its a series that kept selling worse and worse. The reason they don't make Crash games anymore is by the end, they sold like crap.

The reason the games are so good is because it was a technical prowess at that time on Playstation & Playstation 2. A bit like Naughty Dog's games nowadays on PS4.

It is a series that stopped when Naughty Dog went on Jak & Daxter.

Hylian7

Had a random dumb idea for a Arcade game mode: "Back in my Dota"

Basically it would be the ability to play matches on previous patches, since strangely the game does not support that. Unless all this information is available somewhere, it might be a pain in the ass to amass all the information about the heroes during that patch, as well as all the map changes. I thought if I can't find it anywhere, the logical way to do it might be to use the Dota 2 wiki to look at the changes in the latest patch, and work backwards for each patch.

The only thing is the last few patches wouldn't be incredibly interesting. I think the stuff people would really want to see would be stuff like back when Track used to give armor reduction, or even further back when Diffusal used to build into Manta and Manta still had mana burn on it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
gross.gif

fUKing liquid guna single-handedly get my hero nerfed

Hylian7

Not that strange. Keeping everything working forever in software development is a *lot* of work.

None of you DotaGAF folk will be at E3 right?

I feel like this feature was around for Source 1 for a while back in the day, and it was at least just the previous patch.

I won't be at E3 to answer your question.

Hylian7

I think private lobbies used to be able to go back one patch?

Yeah, that's what I'm pretty sure was the case. I remember there being a "tournament" and "latest" version. I don't know if it rolled back one balance patch or not. At the very least, it was in the era when heroes were added to the game almost every week, and those heroes weren't in CM for like 2 weeks after they were added. Case in point: Centaur Warrunner.

I feel like this feature was around for Source 1 for a while back in the day, and it was at least just the previous patch.

Right, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's work to make sure the engine can run the last patch as well as the current patch. It's a LOT of work to make sure all patches from the entire history of Dota can run as well. The fact that they removed it suggests that it's either a) a lot of work to keep working or b) not worth doing for Source 2, or both. My money's on both.

Hylian7

Right, I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's work to make sure the engine can run the last patch as well as the current patch. It's a LOT of work to make sure all patches from the entire history of Dota can run as well. The fact that they removed it suggests that it's either a) a lot of work to keep working or b) not worth doing for Source 2, or both. My money's on both.

Yeah, that probably is the case. It makes sense, especially given how thin their Dota team is probably spread.

I'd like to find somewhere that has all the previous numbers, skill descriptions, etc from previous patches. The only way I know how to do that would be the working backward method.

For much older patches, I could just find the WC3 map floating around and use that. I don't know if the top of my head if you can tell stat gains from WC3 though. I suppose you could figure them out by leveling up, but it would be much faster if they were just there.

Going back patches is dumb.

Older patches not necessarily, as there would be stuff we would consider so out of whack. If anything, no one probably wants to go back to any patch within the last three years. Anything beyond that will probably be interesting enough though. I'd like to see the courier shield again.

Hylian7

Dota 2 wiki has some of this stuff, but only in a "what's changed" format, as opposed to a "what are all the numbers in this patch" format.

See http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Bristleback#Balance_changelog as an example

Yeah, that's what my plan was on working backwards. It's doable, but again, would eliminate a lot of tedious work if there was just a table of all the heroes and their information for each patch.

Some of the much older patch notes (like mid 2005-2008-ish) have really vague patch notes like "increased strength gain a bit"

Hylian7

999 is coming to Steam and Vita, you all will have no excuse soon.

VLR is probably coming to Steam too, but no confirmation on that one yet.

I hope the art is uprezzed, I'd buy it again for a very cheap price

that final "puzzle" still pisses me off (yes hylian you went in on me over it before)

never played the sequels because I care more about the puzzles than the story and the puzzles in 999 were basique

I sold the watch from the original 999 preorder thing for like $50 a few years ago lmao

Hylian7

I hope the art is uprezzed, I'd buy it again for a very cheap price

that final "puzzle" still pisses me off (yes hylian you went in on me over it before)

never played the sequels because I care more about the puzzles than the story and the puzzles in 999 were basique

I sold the watch from the original 999 preorder thing for like $50 a few years ago lmao

I'd imagine surely it will be basically an HD version of the DS version. The absolute worst thing they can do is plop the iOS port onto Steam. That would be hilarious if they actually pulled that stunt.

Missed this. Good shit. I haven't played VLR since I didn't want to play the original on my old DS.

VLR will probably come soon after. I'm honestly surprised they actually announced 999 this early. A week or two ago Aksys was saying that they were looking into Steam ports for 999 and VLR.

There is a 6.83 custom game mode. The problem is that nobody is playing it (and it was a horrible patch$

Yeah, that patch was awful. I'd like to play with more hilariously broken stuff like Anti-Mage with 2s Blink (this was a thing a very long time ago, back in WC3). He also had what we now know as Nyx's Mana Burn instead of Spell Shield.

Quesa

If you signed up for the Glixel newsletter you might read something on Team Secret by yours truly

I would have put the clockwerk brow emoji but the extension isn't working

edit: No subbing necessary! Just scroll down or Ctrl+F "Yankees"

Sibylus

Banned
Anyone else's CD graphics bugged? The icon flashes behind the countdown number, instead of showing the "slice of time" display.

Items work fine, abilities are bugged.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Just got my Overwatch headset in the mail... Man I was looking forward to selling this thing but I got the best one (Winston) so I think I have to keep it...

shira

VODS
Missed any games?
Spoiler-free subreddit with links to all gamesn (takes 5-10 minutes for encoding)

Full-day Twitch VOD's (not mobile friendly - full day broadcast ~10-12 hours, available when broadcast ends)
Full-day Youtube VOD's (not mobile friendly - full day broadcast ~10-12 hours, available anytime)
Single Match Youtube VOD's (mobile friendly - each game is available for individual viewing ~30-80 minutes, takes 5-10 minutes for encoding)
Single Match Youtube VOD's (mobile friendly - each game is available for individual viewing ~30-80 minutes, takes 4-5 hours for encoding)
Download the games in the free Dota 2 client for full access to each player's perspective and free camera views (Caster audio may be glitched, takes 10-20 minutes for encoding)

Twitch Stream
Youtube Stream
Steam Broadcast

1. Lower Bracket4 Bo3 (Elimination)
LGD vs MVP
t1465610400z1.png

2. Upper Bracket Finals Bo3 (Winner to Grand Finals)
OG vs Newbee
t1465622400z1.png

3. Lower Bracket5 Bo3 (Elimination)
Winner 1 vs Liquid
t1465634400z1.png

Tomorrow
LB Final
Winner 3 vs Loser 2

Grand Final
UB final winner vs LB final winner

Ultrabum

I'm really digging all of these ancient apparition picks, one of my favorite heroes.

Black "was' one of the best AM players, sick burn.

etta

my hard graphic balls
About how long does it take to complete a quest line? I wanna do the Paths of the Spellbinder thing for Windranger, trying to see approximately how long it wound take.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
"Our government just stepped down and dissolved because of cardgames on motocycles, everyone cheer! Yayyyyyy!"

- Yu-gi-oh Arc V's plot

Top Bottom