• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Inquisition |OT2| Leave the damn Hinterlands!

Xeteh

Thx ill have a look at that. Can you make fade touched stuff? I don't have much of those. Don't wanna waste resources.

Nah, fade touched items are rare drops from enemies/mining/herbs. You just have to farm a bit to get those. Some do come out of chests, though. A popular one is fade touched obsidian in a locked house in Redcliffe (requires deft hands) inside a chest. As long as you leave an item in the chest each time you leave the Hinterlands and come back the chest will fill up again.

I'm finally about to start this game! I've heard good things about it from friends. I'm playing it on the PS4, and can you really not use the dpad to navigate menus? I wonder if they will patch that in or if it's just not possible?

Ovek

7Member7
I'm finally about to start this game! I've heard good things about it from friends. I'm playing it on the PS4, and can you really not use the dpad to navigate menus? I wonder if they will patch that in or if it's just not possible?

Don't imagine they would add that.... but Bioware have been awfully silent about the next patch so they might be trying to implement some of the most requested features like a appearance changer mirror (it's going to be a mirror) etc. So you never know.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
At around 80 hours right now, though there were a few hours where I went back and redid stuff. I think I'm near the level cap.

The plot itself is pretty slim, but I guess that's not unusual for a BW game. Yet without "hubs" the missions don't have the same effect, I think. Nothing so far has stood out to me as being mind blowing. The last missions I did were
the Wardens and Val Royeaux

So far the hardest decisions have related to party members.

Plot choices so far have been pretty easy to make:
I went with the mages, teamed up with the Wardens since there's history there from DAO, gave up Hawke because he can probably fend for himself (plus, I just don't care what happens to him at this point -- bitch was a blood mage in my game an continues to bash blood mages, hypocrite!), told the people at Orlais to figure out their own shit (I didn't side with anyone, but I did kill that one woman)

So far I feel like I've wasted more time traveling (walking/mount) and figuring out which items to put on people and what to sell and running back to the damn war table (WHY NOT JUST HAVE IT ACCESSIBLE THROUGH A MENU!?) than playing the actual game . By that I mean fighting or going through the plot or meeting interesting characters that expand on the lore of Thedas. I feel like that happened a lot in the first game, because of the "hubs" that were clearly delineated, but not here, not often. I don't think I've learned anything new so far, with a few exceptions.
Lyrium is alive? Oh man, not midichlorians.

I also feel like there's a severe lack of dungeons and crawling of the sort. That's what I like, and there's just not enough of it to satisfy me. The "open world" aspect seems to have taken all their resources. Yet, traveling for the most part has been pretty awful, since there are only a few trails and there are awful steep rocks or cliffs. Whoever designed some of these maps doesn't know how to make a game map accessible. Open world works best when the field is level (like some of the desert maps).

Val Royeaux is probably my least favorite place of the whole game. Awful mini quests and boring political plot postured as something more than it was.

Mage quest really is a standout of this game.
Do you mean the one where you meet a companion earlier on? I didn't like that one, in fact I preferred the Templar one.

Ovek

7Member7
So far I feel like I've wasted more time traveling (walking/mount) and figuring out which items to put on people and what to sell and running back to the damn war table (WHY NOT JUST HAVE IT ACCESSIBLE THROUGH A MENU!?) than playing the actual game

If I didn't cheat the war table missions they would have driven me insane.

qazqaNii

Hey, having a blast with this game and was wondering if it was possible to switch from Assasin Rouge to Tempest Rouge, moved far after that so I don't have old save :/ (Wanna do the flask of fire glitch which seems fun :D)

So I'm walking around Emprise de Lion and come across this... thing.
DLYJKgq.jpg

Then I start the Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts quests (very minor early spoilers)
and what is up with everyone wearing the same uniform? I thought it was going to be a fun chance to give everyone a unique formal outfit but instead its copy/paste bodies. Leliana suffers horribly looking like a pin head, to the point I'm wondering if its not a horrible bug.

Don't imagine they would add that.... but Bioware have been awfully silent about the next patch so they might be trying to implement some of the most requested features like a appearance changer mirror (it's going to be a mirror) etc. So you never know.

Aww.. well I'm sure it wont be too big of a deal once I get further into it and used to it.

So... random question unrelated to the game (although sort of related due to the install size and patches)... I want to upgrade my PS4 hard drive from the default one. Anyone know of any good/cheap 1 or 2TB hard drives compatible with the PS4?

loving the Inquisition and war/army elements so far

I left the Hinterlands to try not get bogged down there and continue the story a bit but I keep returning there to establish new camps and such haha

probably my favorite part are the establish camps, claiming territory, or the missions you send those 3 NPCs on

game reminds me a lot if FF XII combat with FF Tactics side missions

Xeteh

So I'm walking around Emprise de Lion and come across this... thing.

Then I start the Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts quests (very minor early spoilers)
and what is up with everyone wearing the same uniform? I thought it was going to be a fun chance to give everyone a unique formal outfit but instead its copy/paste bodies. Leliana suffers horribly looking like a pin head, to the point I'm wondering if its not a horrible bug.

Apparently there were plans for you to be able to choose the outfits for that bit... but it never happened. I feel like they could/should have at least given better formals for the ladies.

Lexxism

There's so many quests on this game that I don't know which one to get first. And my eyes got really red for playing too much. I think I need to stop now.

Xeteh

There's so many quests on this game that I don't know which one to get first. And my eyes got really red for playing too much. I think I need to stop now.

Just do quests that sound interesting and if those are just the story quests than just do those as long as you have the Power to do so. But yeah, this game is pretty overwhelming the first time through.

Apparently there were plans for you to be able to choose the outfits for that bit... but it never happened. I feel like they could/should have at least given better formals for the ladies.

The more I play the more that this games seem just filled with half baked things like that. Like this Wicked Hearts quest... decent idea for a non combat heavy quest but the mechanics and actual execution of it are not very good.

Chaos17

Dragon inquisition fans made a toolset for Dragon age inquisition (PC version only)
They're searching for coders to help them edit/change mesh and EBX files.

Modders HQ link : http://daitools.freeforums.org/index.php

The toolset is still WIP, please have patience with it.
So far modders were able to achieve mostly textures swap.
If you have any question or problem with the toolset please feel free to ask directly on their forum. Modders can't be everywhere.

If you can help in anyway or know someone who can help, please pass the message.

CAUTION

Do not apply more than one mod at the time because the toolkit is still in WIP.
If you've any bugs report them, here : http://daitools.free...reports-f7.html
If you've any questions how to apply the mods, here : http://daitools.free...nd-q-a-f13.html

These mods will NOT WORK with other mods.
These mod will NOT WORK for non-English versions of the game at this time.
The official Bioware patch is also REQUIRED. The mod will NOT WORK on an unpatched game.

Released Mods (aplha test)

Skyhold PJ recolor n°1 : http://www.nexusmods...ition/mods/60/?
Skyhold PJ recolor n°2 : http://www.nexusmods...ition/mods/63/?
Skyhold PJ recolor n°3 (female elf only) : http://forum.bioware...ols/?p=18178189

Eyebrown+makeup : http://forum.bioware...ols/?p=18185493

Lift level requiements for equipement (scroll down the page)
http://daitools.free...1313.html#p1313

How to apply a mod

Follow the tutorial of that mod : http://www.nexusmods...&preview=&pUp=1
He will teach you how to apply a mod or to uninstall it or to make your own.

Aesthetics mods on the way (need mesh feature to be implemented in game)
Source : http://daitools.freeforums.org/adela-sooo-this-is-what-i-done-so-far-t64.html

Source : http://daitools.freeforums.org/silvist-my-current-conversions-t10.html

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So I take it Cassandra's personal quest is bugged too? Killed the templar in exalted plains. Marker still points to his camp.

I'm playing a defensive warrior, and I'm finding it problematic to have any other melee characters in my party. I'm using two mages and an arrow rogue since none of the melee characters can defend themselves worth a damn. Even when I'm tanking and have the agrro on me, the other melee characters are taking massive damage from aoe swings. Even worse, sometimes the ranged characters will not move away from the fight. The grapple hook move often does nothing, and there are times when I cannot move the enemies away from my ranged characters. And these idiots just stand there taking damage unless I switch to them and move them away. I wish I could program them to keep their distance.

Ploid 3.0

I'm playing a defensive warrior, and I'm finding it problematic to have any other melee characters in my party. I'm using two mages and an arrow rogue since none of the melee characters can defend themselves worth a damn. Even when I'm tanking and have the agrro on me, the other melee characters are taking massive damage from aoe swings. Even worse, sometimes the ranged characters will not move away from the fight. The grapple hook move often does nothing, and there are times when I cannot move the enemies away from my ranged characters. And these idiots just stand there taking damage unless I switch to them and move them away. I wish I could program them to keep their distance.

Yeah it sucks, the AI is the biggest threat in the game. It feels like you're trying to stop water from falling.

A way that suppose to stop ranged characters from going into melee range is to set their behaviors to Follow > Themself. This seem to work sometimes for some characters. It could be a bit buggy like the abilitiy rings which also work sometimes but need you to do certain things to get them working correctly if they are fixable at all.

Take off ring > restart game > check ability in tech tree menu > put ring on > confirm that it's working in tech tree menu > Repeat this each time you equip a new weapon, item, or armor.

So much don't work quite right in the game that you can't really feel like you can trust mechanics to work (especially tactical menu stuff like hold position, use the revive spell Viv, no I said use revive not chain lightnin... grrrr now you don't have enough mana for me to manually use the spell as my melee dd and tank flail around as I use this command for you). This makes the AI really seem untrustworthy needing you to baby them unless you are using a powerful build with amazing gear to offset the AI's blunders. Even then it's annoying to see your ranged character back in melee being less effective and open for aoe melee attacks.

I'm loving this game so far. The environment work is absolutely stunning. Combat is a bit weak (playing mage) but the pretty particles keep me awake.

Also, Dorian as my husbando was the easiest choice I've ever made in a Bioware game. Gay or straight, how could one resist that moustache?

tumblr_neiy9qN6Kv1ryr3o1o3_1280.png

Looks like I got the Dragon's Bane glitch :(

Want to play a 2nd time, was wondering if I play on Nightmare will that count as beating it on hard as well?

sixghost

It's kind of crazy how much of a swing in difficulty I've faced after picking a specialization. It had been pretty slow going on Hard up until getting to
Skyhold
, but after going Knight Enchanter and using a respec amulet on a few characters I've barely had a single fight last more than 20 seconds. Are all the classes this strong after picking a specialization, or is KE kind of broken?

I'd have a lot more fun with the multiplayer if it wasn't designed to get you to spend money on the store, even at level 10 we're still getting owned by the first Elven Keep boss.

Dragon inquisition fans made a toolset for Dragon age inquisition (PC version only)
They're searching for coders to help them edit/change mesh and EBX files.

Modders HQ link : http://daitools.freeforums.org/index.php

I probably won't look into modding until I finish the game but has anyone gotten far with being able to mod the faces of companions or NPCs? While old NPCs like Leliana, Loghain, Alistair or Morrigan don't look terrible in Inquisition, I feel like BioWare could have done a much better job making them look more faithful to how they looked in Origins.

It would be real nice if BioWare released some proper modding tools or support for Inquisition, since (for me anyway) its a game loaded with tons of small issues that collectively add up, but a lot of which could be fixed by small mods. Kind of like Origins in that regard. And BioWare seems insanely slow in patching/updating Inquisition.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mods I'd like to see

- More unique, balanced weapons and armor pieces (I think I spent half the game in the Dragon armor set you're just given, the other half in a crafted fancy dress uniform. More variety would be nice.)
- Way to trigger party banter at will. (To counteract playing through most of the game with the bug that rendered party banter nonexistent.)
- Way to fix up Skyhold
- Tactical camera fix
- Adjustment to Inquisition perks (why do I have to buy into 3-4 useless perks to get say, an inventory increase or whatever else I really want?)
- Adjustment to war table times. There is just no damn good reason to have to wait 18 hours to be able to move parts of the story along. Even if the time is for "flavor" 3-4 hours is plenty long enough.
- Better enemies in late game. I don't want level scaling, but I want there to be some hard enemies in some areas of the map past level 12.
- Damage output increased for warriors, small decrease for rogues. Two-hander warriors should be doing a bit more damage then they are, IMO. That's no butter knife they're slinging around.

EDIT: And of course, Harding as a party member, please. She can take Varric's place.

Rodhull

So I take it Cassandra's personal quest is bugged too? Killed the templar in exalted plains. Marker still points to his camp.

That happened to me too but when I came back to Exalted Plains later the Templar reappeared and when I killed him the second time it worked fine. Could just be a case of leaving there then coming back.

Xeteh

It's kind of crazy how much of a swing in difficulty I've faced after picking a specialization. It had been pretty slow going on Hard up until getting to
Skyhold
, but after going Knight Enchanter and using a respec amulet on a few characters I've barely had a single fight last more than 20 seconds. Are all the classes this strong after picking a specialization, or is KE kind of broken?

Knight Enchanter is one of the more overpowered specializations. It synergizes stupidly well with Clean Burn in Fire.

I accidentally made Tommy Lee Jones in dwarf form.

Lol, as I was scrolling down the thread I saw your screenshot before reading your post and immediately thought "holy shit, looks like Tommy Lee Jones".

Mods I'd like to see

- More unique, balanced weapons and armor pieces (I think I spent half the game in the Dragon armor set you're just given, the other half in a crafted fancy dress uniform. More variety would be nice.)
- Way to trigger party banter at will. (To counteract playing through most of the game with the bug that rendered party banter nonexistent.)
- Way to fix up Skyhold
- Tactical camera fix
- Adjustment to Inquisition perks (why do I have to buy into 3-4 useless perks to get say, an inventory increase or whatever else I really want?)
- Adjustment to war table times. There is just no damn good reason to have to wait 18 hours to be able to move parts of the story along. Even if the time is for "flavor" 3-4 hours is plenty long enough.
- Better enemies in late game. I don't want level scaling, but I want there to be some hard enemies in some areas of the map past level 12.
- Damage output increased for warriors, small decrease for rogues. Two-hander warriors should be doing a bit more damage then they are, IMO. That's no butter knife they're slinging around.

EDIT: And of course, Harding as a party member, please. She can take Varric's place.

Krem as party member!

abundant

Skyhold

Tempest is the most broken specialization in the game if you choose to use the Flask of Fire + Thousand Cuts exploit. Fights are even shorter than 20 seconds when using it.

If you (Tempest) and Sera are on the same team, every fight, even bosses and dragons, are over before they even start. I highly recommend no one does this unless you really hate the combat.

You know what's real dumb? Limiting your active abilities to only 8.

Its like they wanted to make it a disincentive to level up and progress your character. Its not some great tactical move, its annoying and obnoxious.

Controllers, brah.

...It does seem really harebrained when you can get so many more active abilities than that, all but guaranteeing a bunch of wasted skill points towards the end of the game. (10%+)

I accidentally made Tommy Lee Jones in dwarf form.
Wow, that's uncanny.

Bravo!

Skyhold

KE is broken.

Controllers, brah.

...It does seem really harebrained when you can get so many more active abilities than that, all but guaranteeing a bunch of wasted skill points towards the end of the game. (10%+)

Yeah... I swear I read some interview pre-release with either Laidlaw, Darrah or one of the producers where they admitted the 8 ability limit was a concession to multiplayer that they brought over to SP. Either way its real dumb.

I finally think I'm nearing the end of the game after having done the whole Warden questline and Wicked Hearts/Wicked Eyes and basically clearing out every zone minus Emerald Graves and Hissing Wastes.

After having sunk about 70-80 hours in though, I feel like the game is getting progressively worse. I don't know if its the lack of content in the open world structure or the way I've been playing as a completionist or just the lack of beefy story heavy side quests or lack of main quest content really hurts the game. Up through Haven the game generally felt really fresh and the pacing was solid. But after Haven I feel like the game's story just loses all momentum. Probably a big part of that is how I approached the main story content by basically putting it off for exploring all the zones but even then, there just isn't much content there. Almost to a startling degree.

All I know is that when I try to do a second playthrough I'm going to just main line the main story content as much as I can. I'm guessing that would help the pacing a great deal, even if the lack of cutscene heavy and narrative driven sidequests in the zones is still a huge shortcoming in this game.

theapg

I'm restarting with a KE because I want OP so I'm not just holding R2 for minutes hoping I don't die. Also now I can use the british voice haha.

MedIC86

Can anyone tell me how far i am in the game (main story wise), because everyone saying the game is huge but i have a feeling i am approaching the end rather quick.

I am at the quest
Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts

Moaradin

Can anyone tell me how far i am in the game (main story wise), because everyone saying the game is huge but i have a feeling i am approaching the end rather quick.

I am at the quest

You get that quest around the 50% point but it's hard to tell where you are since you can do that mission in so many ways. Some people do it 30 hours into the game. I didn't do it until 140.

I am at the quest

The mural in Solas's study shows your progress in the main story. When it completes, you're done.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finished this up today. just over 100 hours. I got all the shards, landmarks, killed all the Dragons, did everything available on the war table and only sidequests left are requisition crap and finding the 42 books in Skyhold.

Easily the longest playthrough of a single player game for me, surpassing the 80 hours I spent on Oblivion and its DLC. Definitley my GOTY and one of my overall favorite games now. I loved exploring the huge world, and soaking in the visuals. Only nitpick would be that the game was a bit thin on story missions and story in general for a Bioware game.

Top Bottom