• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Jesus, the dagger hot fix is fricking god send. My Rogue is now maiming with impunity.
Yeah, I guess I'll try it out to, since archery and ninja attacks are what I want to specialize in most. If enemy archers become too imba, like unbeatable, I'll just uninstall it.

Slackbladder said:
I just looked around on the Bioware forums and it's a bug. Good God, how did they miss that?!!
Has there been a western RPG in the last decade released with a combat system that didn't just flat out lie to the player?

knitoe

Finally, unlock Blood Mage. All it took was 30+ hours. First 2 times tried to get it, was using warrior / rogue. Didn't know you can't get it unless you are a Mage. Now, back to starting new character Rogue with it already unlock. Talk about BS and my copy of MW2 suppose to be here tomorrow from Amazon. And, throughout it all, still have seen superman encounter. Is there a trick to it?

markot

Banned
I didnt finish that explore all of Wardens keep quest and now I cant get in >_<

Maybe you need to do that too to get the asteroid!?

Tonza

Shit, I just learned that I skipped Leliana and can't get her anymore. :\

Im already well past the part where you can get her as a party member. Im really not a fan of how easily I was able to skip it without knowing.

Fredescu

markot said:
I didnt finish that explore all of Wardens keep quest and now I cant get in >_<

Maybe you need to do that too to get the asteroid!?
Nah, I didn't finish that quest either and I got it.

Son of Godzilla said:
Fucking level up bug is annoying the hell out of me. GIMME MY POINTS YOU BASTARDS.
What bug is that?

hermit7

So I got the meteor cutscene today, and I haven't bought Wardens Keep yet. I grabbed the meteor but I probably won't be able to make it into an item yet.

calder

Zzoram said:
Tactics

Self <25% Health, use weakest Health Potion
My damn dog keeps using all my pots. :lol I get through a fight thinking it went very well only to realize later that the stupid dog used like 9 minor healing kits I have to fix Wynn's tactics, I only recently realized she uses Heal All as her first spell. No wonder the healing is so lackluster, but I can't figure out how to tell her to use it only when more than 1 party member is below 50% or something. And has anyone figured out a way to have her cast rebirth on a fallen comrade? I can't find "unconscious" or whatever they call dying as a status.

Excuse the WoW terms, I can't remember the DAO equivalent. :D

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
Tactics

Self <25% Health, use weakest Health Potion

Also, if you have Morrigan or another mage that has sleep and horror, create a tactic for it that makes them cast sleep on a group of three or more enemies, and then right after that add a tactic for horror on enemies that are sleeping. It's good stuff.

I micromanage a ton so I've rarely messed with tactics outside of something like that and health pots/healing.

Charles

To any Europeans that have imported the US PS3 version:

I have a question about the DLC on the PS3 version since I think I'll be importing the game. If I buy the add-ons from the US psn store will I be able to play them on my European account? I assume that they'd work just fine, but I have been burned before and I'd like to have confirmation before I order it.

charsace

Been playing this for a few hours. I have 2 questions in regards to things outside of the gameplay.

1) I want to purchase the DLC, but can't even log in to do it. I got my free DLC that came with the game so I don't understand what's wrong. What am I doing wrong?

2) Can I create an ISO to run the game with or can I add it to steam?

markot

Banned
Shale is awesome. But I cant figure out my party now.

I was set on Me 2h warrior / Al 1h shield /Morrigan and Wrynn...

Who should I drop for Shale?!

markot said:

Alistair. Shale is a beast and is easy to gear. Such a great character to boot.

Jayge

My game somehow decided to stop my party attacking unless I click the attack button every time individually for each character. The party members also don't attack when enemies get close anymore. I don't know what happened. The tactics don't work at all either. This happen to anyone else? I was fucking around with scripting while I was dead tired last night but I didn't do anything permanent or make any changes to the game itself.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
kafka rock opera said:
Alistair. Shale is a beast and is easy to gear. Such a great character to boot.

I usually liked to roll with Morrigan or Wynne along with two tanks (Shale and Alistair for the most part) when I knew a big battle was coming up. If not, I'd remove Alistair and bring Leliana along for the ride to open chests for the group.

Mashing

Basileus777 said:
It's a bug. Disable all your DLC, force-load your game. Save it. Then exit out, enable all the dlc, and load it up again. I'm pretty sure this will get you your items back, I know disabling the dlc before you lose the items and re-enabling afterwards works if you know to do it beforehand.

This worked. Thank god.

Regarding level cap: I thought there was no level cap in thsi game, it was just impossible to reach certain levels unless you were a masochist or something. So in that regard, I guess it could be said there was a cap (it's just that the game is not programmed to stop giving you xp at a certain level)

Zeliard

markot said:

You should drop Morrigan and Wynne for Shale and Zevran. :D

painey

I honestly can't wait to finish this game just so I can go back and beat Baldurs Gate.. This game is great, but really lowest common denominator.. Im urging for tactics, true alignment and mini space hamsters.

bengraven

Going Alistair, Morrigan and Leilana. The dialogue alone is worth it. So far I also have Sten and the Dog, but I'm keeping them to the side. I like my warrior, my tank, my mage and my rogue. Great teamup and they work well with each other, story wise.

Will take other characters only when the game forces me or I want to explore their stories.

AstroLad said:
this is one of those games that makes you annoyed you don't get to play it for like 8 hours

It's so bad being a dad who works all the time. I only get 2 hours at a time every few days to play.

Getting it on release day was the worst 5 bucks I ever spent. I loved the game, but it's almost not fair (haha) not getting to play.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
LabouredSubterfuge said:
Jesus, the dagger hot fix is fricking god send. My Rogue is now maiming with impunity.
My rogue was like the lowest damage dealer in the group, then i installed it damn.:D i think it might make archers deal to much damage though.:lol had a seriously tough time with 4 bandit archers in the first village.

Going Alistair, Morrigan and Leilana. The dialogue alone is worth it. So far I also have Sten and the Dog, but I'm keeping them to the side. I like my warrior, my tank, my mage and my rogue. Great teamup and they work well with each other, story wise.

Will take other characters only when the game forces me or I want to explore their stories.[/'quote]
Yeah i wanna stick with that group, but i'm not so sure, if it will be very balanced. Since i'll basically be rolling with two rogues one warrior one mage. Rather have two mages for damage / heals. Will probably just have that group in towns.

Zeliard

bengraven said:

Will take other characters only when the game forces me or I want to explore their stories.

You'll want to pick up Shale and stick him in your party - you can do it at any time since he's part of the Stone Prisoner quest, accessible as soon as you hit the world map. Not only is he a pretty devastating tank warrior, but he is hilarious in his disdain for humanity and otherwise complete apathy, and his backstory is pretty damn interesting to boot. He's even funnier if you're playing a mage.

markot said:
Who would heal?!

Oh right. :p My group with Shale, Alistair and Zevran doesn't have that issue because my player character is a mage.

but really lowest common denominator

I know we like to throw around hyperbole but come on. It's nowhere even close to 'lowest common denominator' in it's depth.

I mean yeah, it's not up to the level of detail of BG, but let's not get crazy here. It's not Fable 2 or something. (not that F2 is a bad game or anything)

Ruzai

Is there something specific needed for your companions to teach their specializations? Alistair taught Templar almost immediately, while I now have Morrigan up to 100 approval, and finished her quest and she still refuses to teach shapeshifter. Am I missing something? Also, Liliana. I don't even have a dialogue option with her, does she need inflated approval before you can even talk about it?

Zeliard

I learned Shapeshifter from Morrigan the first time we were at camp. One of the dialogue options very clearly led in that direction. She definitely wasn't at 100 approval, though I did butter her up with a few gifts beforehand.

My char's a mage, so perhaps that has to do with it. Alistair won't teach me Templar.

Ventrue

Ruzai said:
Is there something specific needed for your companions to teach their specializations? Alistair taught Templar almost immediately, while I now have Morrigan up to 100 approval, and finished her quest and she still refuses to teach shapeshifter. Am I missing something? Also, Liliana. I don't even have a dialogue option with her, does she need inflated approval before you can even talk about it?
I think you need to be the appropriate class.

bengraven said:
It's so bad being a dad who works all the time. I only get 2 hours at a time every few days to play.

Getting it on release day was the worst 5 bucks I ever spent. I loved the game, but it's almost not fair (haha) not getting to play.

Heh, I've got a 2 year old and a pregnant wife so my time is just about as limited. Last night the toddler was making all sorts of fussy noises over the baby monitor so, in an act of supreme sacrifice, I said that I would take the monitor upstairs so my wife could sleep while the toddler settled down.

Of course then the kid settled down right away and my wife was already asleep. So I ended up playing like 5 hours of Dragon Age before collapsing for a little bit of sleep before work. I'm a family man now and was never much of a binge gamer so doing something like that was pretty rare for me. In spite of some flaws this game just has it's hooks in me pretty deep. The older BioWare games like Baldur's Gate II were so close to being hits for me but they always had little issues that kept them from becoming favorites of mine. Dragon Age has just done a good job of preserving the basic goodness of those games while making some needed user friendly changes. Really enjoying it so far.

Mashing said:
This worked. Thank god.

Regarding level cap: I thought there was no level cap in thsi game, it was just impossible to reach certain levels unless you were a masochist or something. So in that regard, I guess it could be said there was a cap (it's just that the game is not programmed to stop giving you xp at a certain level)

It's my understanding that you can't advance past 25. It doesn't list the amount of XP needed to reach 26, and no amount of XP can get you there.

Ruzai said:

I think there is something broken with Morrigan teaching you Shapeshifter. She taught it to me when I had her at neutral, but if I ask her now that I have her at 100, she won't do it.

Zzoram

Is it true that once you've been taught a specialization, future characters you make of the same class can learn it without being taught?

Fredescu

Son of Godzilla said:
I didn't get a tactic point for two levels, and once I only got one attribute point.
Skill points you don't get every level. Spells/Talents you should get one per level. Did you only get one talent over two levels? That sucks.

Top Bottom