• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

Zzoram said:
Is it true that once you've been taught a specialization, future characters you make of the same class can learn it without being taught?
yes, actually any future character you make and your party members. Linked to your bioware social account though or some one said that.

rass

Fredescu said:
Skill points you don't get every level. Spells/Talents you should get one per level. Did you only get one talent over two levels? That sucks.
golfham!
I've had 2 level ups with no talents :( And I'm only level 10

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone found any of the specializations to be particularly useful? Other than the final ability of the spirit healer line, I can't say I have used many of the specialization class abilities. Arcane Warrior does sound pretty damn good, though, but I'm not sure I would want my magic users in the front lines.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
Has anyone found any of the specializations to be particularly useful? Other than the final ability of the spirit healer line, I can't say I have used many of the specialization class abilities. Arcane Warrior does sound pretty damn good, though, but I'm not sure I would want my magic users in the front lines.

Blood Mage is no good?

bengraven

Zeliard said:
I learned Shapeshifter from Morrigan the first time we were at camp. One of the dialogue options very clearly led in that direction. She definitely wasn't at 100 approval, though I did butter her up with a few gifts beforehand.

My char's a mage, so perhaps that has to do with it. Alistair won't teach me Templar.

I got Shapeshifter from Morrigan right after we left the first camp. I hadn't even received a single approval rating, I believe. Maybe just 2 or three points.

In fact, I think I pissed her off twice before, so I was -20. :lol

Also, taking your advice and throwing Shale in there.

TheFightingFish said:
Heh, I've got a 2 year old and a pregnant wife so my time is just about as limited. Last night the toddler was making all sorts of fussy noises over the baby monitor so, in an act of supreme sacrifice, I said that I would take the monitor upstairs so my wife could sleep while the toddler settled down.

Of course then the kid settled down right away and my wife was already asleep. So I ended up playing like 5 hours of Dragon Age before collapsing for a little bit of sleep before work. I'm a family man now and was never much of a binge gamer so doing something like that was pretty rare for me. In spite of some flaws this game just has it's hooks in me pretty deep. The older BioWare games like Baldur's Gate II were so close to being hits for me but they always had little issues that kept them from becoming favorites of mine. Dragon Age has just done a good job of preserving the basic goodness of those games while making some needed user friendly changes. Really enjoying it so far.

I was a huge (literally, see my thread) binge gamer before I became a fiancee and father. I once played 25 hours of Oblivion in 48 hours.

So it's hard to get a huge RPG and remember that it will take you MONTHS to even beat the main story. Though I supposed I beat Fallout 3 in just a month I believe, 75 hours in.

Fredescu

Zefah said:
Every ability in the spirit healer line is useful. Group Heal is the best heal, Lifeward is a good pot saver, and the benefits of Revival are obvious.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think Im fucked for learning Templar

Alistair seems to completely hate my guts atm and there is no longer even an option to ask him if he will teach it :lol

BeeDog

Good lord, the Haven part is a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Ugh, can't wait until I finish up that area soon, low-point of the game so far.

Dead said:

Alistair seems to completely hate my guts atm and there is no longer even an option to ask him if he will teach it :lol
You can always just buy the manual in your camp.

Xevren

Dead said:

You could just buy the manual for it if you pissed him off.

and beaten.

Spirit Healer is the only Mage specialization that I've found useful. Shapechanger is terrible, blood mage is meh (though maybe it could be decent if you pumped con for your mage), and Arcane Warrior just trades spellcasting ability to become a decent tank and a warrior with no combat skills. With a proper setup, mages rarely need to worry about taking damage, so I haven't found that the ability to wear armor is worth all the fatigue penalties.

BeeDog said:
Good lord, the Haven part is a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag. Ugh, can't wait until I finish up that area soon, low-point of the game so far.

It might be a little bland just running the dungeon, but there's a sweet payoff battle at the end, so don't get too frustrated with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:
Every ability in the spirit healer line is useful. Group Heal is the best heal, Lifeward is a good pot saver, and the benefits of Revival are obvious.

I didn't even realize those three were part of the spirit healer line since Wynn just started with them. Yeah, you are right. All of those spells rock and I use them all the time. Plus the final aura in the line makes it so you never really have to worry about injury kits.

There are a lot of battles I never would have won without Wynne. Unfortunately I don't really like her character. Maybe I'll make a spirit healer magi as my next main character.

Jayge

Zefah said:
Duelist is very nice for up-close Rogues and Ranger is absolutely nuts with the pets.

Xevren

Zefah said:
I didn't even realize those three were part of the spirit healer line since Wynn just started with them. Yeah, you are right. All of those spells rock and I use them all the time. Plus the final aura in the line makes it so you never really have to worry about injury kits.

There are a lot of battles I never would have won without Wynne. Unfortunately I don't really like her character. Maybe I'll make a spirit healer magi as my next main character.

That's the route I was going to go for my next character, compared to the rest of the cast she's incredibly boring.

I'm loving this game but jesus christ is it taking a toll on my rig. At best I'm pulling off 30 frames and that's on medium everything with AA and Vsync shut off. But since I can't afford a new setup at this point, i'll just enjoy the game looking fucking awful. :lol

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
What's with all the bitch'in about duel wielding sucking? I'm a level 8 Rogue and I'm plowing through shit left and right. Maybe people were referring to duel wielding Warriors, but Rogues are a power house.

Tobor

Silent Death said:
What's with all the bitch'in about duel wielding sucks? I'm a level 8 Rogue and I'm plowing through shit left and right. Maybe people were referring to duel wielding Warriors, but Rogues are a power house.

Yes indeed. Especially now that I've maxed out Dual Wielding, and have a longsword in one hand, and a battle axe in the other. :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
K.Jack said:
Any opinions on trap/poison making?

Hey, how's this running on your notebook?

I never bothered using poisons or traps and the materials take up way too much inventory space. I'm still playing on normal, though, and I'm sure they would be a lot more useful on the harder difficulties.

Fredescu

Dragon wise, is
Flemeth
any harder than the
High Dragon on the mountain top
?

Silent Death said:
What's with all the bitch'in about duel wielding sucks? I'm a level 8 Rogue and I'm plowing through shit left and right. Maybe people were referring to duel wielding Warriors, but Rogues are a power house.
I think it's to do with a bug causing rogues damage to be coming all from strength rather than the half strength half dex it's meant to be. Or something.

Loving this game. I worshiped at the feet of Baldurs Gate 2 (IMHO the greatest RPG ever made by man), and while this isn't as good... it's still damn good.

The graphics still vary from outright terrible, to very good. And the overall plot and theme are pretty staid and sterotypical (all of which keep it below Baldur's Gate 2). But god damn is the writing good, the pacing good, the combat good, the characters good, the badassness badass.

In fact, I think the combat model is highly superior to Baldurs Gate 2, outside of pause customization and formation control.

Restarted as a Mage... gotta say they seem pretty overpowered, but god damn are they fun to play.

Tobor

Fredescu said:
I think it's to do with a bug causing rogues damage to be coming all from strength rather than the half strength half dex it's meant to be. Or something.

That must be why my build works. I've been putting a ton of points into strength the whole time to be able to use better swords.

bengraven

Fredescu said:
Dragon wise, is
Flemeth
any harder than the
High Dragon on the mountain top
?

I'm still not there (just recruited Sten), but FUCK whatever site that was, Gametrailers, IGN, whatever, that spoiled that plot twist. Now I'm watching
Flemeth
, going, "so when are you going to
turn into a dragon
?" :/

Silent Death

lemme get one or two licks
Tobor said:

That must be why my build works. I've been putting a ton of points into strength the whole time to be able to use better swords.[/QUOTE]

Why would damage come from ones Dex? I assumed all physical attacks drew from strength. Dex determines if you hit or not. You can have 100 strength but if you have a low Dex it won't matter as you will be missing a good part of the time. Anyhow, I've invested equally in Dex and Strength and flip flop between Constitution and Cunning with my last point. Sounds like we could be playing the same character cause I too am rocking the longsword/axe combo.

Tobor

Silent Death said:
Why would damage come from ones Dex? I assumed all physical attacks drew from strength. Dex determines if you hit or not. You can have 100 strength but if you have a low Dex it won't matter as you will be missing a good part of the time. Anyhow, I've invested equally in Dex and Strength and flip flop between Constitution and Cunning with my last point. Sounds like we could be playing the same character cause I too am rocking the longsword/axe combo.

It's RPG tradition, Rogues usually derive damage based on dexterity or dexterity/strength.

There is a talent you can take as a Rogue that will use cunning in place of strength for damage calculation, so anyone who shirked on strength can take that and become an instant powerhouse, assuming their cunning is high.

Ferrio

Banned
Silent Death said:
What's with all the bitch'in about duel wielding sucking? I'm a level 8 Rogue and I'm plowing through shit left and right. Maybe people were referring to duel wielding Warriors, but Rogues are a power house.

It's only daggers/shortbows that are affected, dual wielded or not.

bengraven

Edit: in case people considered my quote a spoiler, I just removed the reference to my spoiler. And my quote because I was only playfully harassing him.

Mifune

Mehmber
bengraven said:
It's not a playable character. It's one of the hundreds of NPCs.

Edit: changed it, quit whining and change my quoted tag in your response.

No worries, man. I kinda meant it as a joke. It's so hard to talk about this stuff without spoiling.

bengraven

I have to say this is easily the RPG with the best dialogue and characters I've seen in 10 years. I love watching them talk and banter, not even just the comedy bits. I still think Witcher had a much better story, but the women are cuter in DA:O. ;)

I will be playing this a lot, probably more so than any other straight RPG since Morrowind.

Mifune said:
No worries, man. I kinda meant it as a joke. It's so hard to talk about this stuff without spoiling.

;)

Coldsnap

Ugh I cannot believe this;
I come to a room where two mages have blocked themselves with barrels in a corner with doors behind them. Because seeing the mages automatically puts you in combat there is no way to open the door to reach them through another room to mele, so if you have no range you just stand there like an idiot and die. Its little things like this that makes me furious about the game

Fredescu

Why would you have no range? Mage staffs have it by default etc. There are tips telling you to equip all your characters with range weapons in case. Aren't they behind destroyable barricades though?

olbareun

Screenshot20091109184950663.jpg

finally got the dragon down :D

jabipun

Hey guys- quick question:

the console versions don't have any content cut from the PC version right? I know there are differences in camera angle views etc, but in terms of actual content in quests, narrative, areas, music, dialogue etc. etc.

LCfiner

jabipun said:
Hey guys- quick question:

the console versions don't have any content cut from the PC version right? I know there are differences in camera angle views etc, but in terms of actual content in quests, narrative, areas, music, dialogue etc. etc.

yup. same shit, different bun.

Woo-Fu

Banned
As far as dual-wielding goes warriors shit all over rogues. I say this having played both as main character. What the rogue can only do from behind or to a stunned character the warrior does from any angle and with better weapons.

Going through the Fade sequence I had to be careful with the rogue, pulling this and that, setting up traps in good spots, making very sure to never get more than 1 mob on me at a time. With a dwarf warrior I just ran through killing everything. Going through that area as a rogue I probably had to reload 10 times. Going through as a warrior I reloaded once when I got a little to close to a fire in my normal form.

oh, and I played through with the rogue on normal, I'm playing through on hard with the warrior and he still does better. I bumped it up to hard for second playthrough and am going without Wynne and without any multi-target crowd control just to make it interesting.

Top Bottom