• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: Origins |OT| Letting The Fade fade out of memory

mrnorush said:
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt188/gregkang/Screenshot20091109184950663.jpg[IMG]

finally got the dragon down :D[/QUOTE]

That's where the urn ashes are, right? How did you get to fight the dragon?

Also, Morrigan is a psycho bitch. She freaked out because she thinks she's in love with me and basically told me to fuck off, and then 5 minutes later she gives me a ring that will allow her to stalk me from anywhere in the world. She's just like a real life girl. Kind of freaky really.

olbareun

anyone have more info on arcane warrior manual in circle tower? I am not able to find it and I am not starting the elf questline anytime soon. Is this just a random chance loot?

mrnorush said:
anyone have more info on arcane warrior manual in circle tower? I am not able to find it and I am not starting the elf questline anytime soon. Is this just a random chance loot?

I'm pretty sure you just buy it from the shopkeeper there.

BlueWord

LocoMrPollock said:
Also, Morrigan is a psycho bitch. She freaked out because she thinks she's in love with me and basically told me to fuck off, and then 5 minutes later she gives me a ring that will allow her to stalk me from anywhere in the world. She's just like a real life girl. Kind of freaky really.
:lol

Too real for you, huh?

I gave up on my Dalish Elf, and restarted as a Human Noble. I'll go back to the Elf later, but I wanted to try a different path through. Haven't had much time to play these past few days; hoping for more time this weekend.

eznark

Banned
Prepped on and off all day for the defense of Redcliffe village. Holy shit. So fucking rad. What an awesome, awesome battle that was...except for the end where I had to wander around and kill stragglers.

bengraven said:
I have to say this is easily the RPG with the best dialogue and characters I've seen in 10 years. I love watching them talk and banter, not even just the comedy bits. I still think Witcher had a much better story, but the women are cuter in DA:O. ;)

I will be playing this a lot, probably more so than any other straight RPG since Morrowind.

;)

Really?

It was well paced, the ending was amazing, and the devs knew when to make it hit hard(only time spelling out the consequences of your action is well done), but i hardly think that the story was that good.

The writing was too erratic and the translation was of-times too poor, let us not mention the lacking presentation(animations, models and voices needed work)

I will however agree with your first assessment. Many times through, i kept on telling myself that this was how Mass Effect cast should have been

Stratman

Neo Member
Lafiel said:
My rogue was like the lowest damage dealer in the group, then i installed it damn.:D i think it might make archers deal to much damage though.:lol had a seriously tough time with 4 bandit archers in the first village.

Going Alistair, Morrigan and Leilana. The dialogue alone is worth it. So far I also have Sten and the Dog, but I'm keeping them to the side. I like my warrior, my tank, my mage and my rogue. Great teamup and they work well with each other, story wise.

Will take other characters only when the game forces me or I want to explore their stories.[/'quote]
Yeah i wanna stick with that group, but i'm not so sure, if it will be very balanced. Since i'll basically be rolling with two rogues one warrior one mage. Rather have two mages for damage / heals. Will probably just have that group in towns.

Yeah, I'm rolling with the same crew. Entertaining as all hell.

Stratman

Neo Member
Yasser said:
who can make armour out of scales? i have some scales in my inventory and the quest but no idea who to see. tried the dwark in denerim market but no option. do i need a certain number of scales or am i talking to the wrong guy?

You mean Wade's Emporium, right? He makes them, but you need a certain number of scales because when I turned them in he said he needed more.

Stratman

Neo Member
Psy-Phi said:
Heh, I hope you don't take that as flirting. Leilana is a woman from a place like that is the fashion capital of the world. She's all about fashion and appearance, and thinks women should show their beauty. Morrigan is the complete opposite, she's all about the practical. This is why they talk to one another as they do.

Oh, I know. I just like to think she was flirting with Morrigan. :D

IJoel

Just completed Morrigan's quest.
MADNESS! Flemeth was damn tough to beat. I'm not sure if it was that I tackled it at a level too low (13), but I had to super micro-manage my characters, and use lots of lyrium and health potions. The battle had me on the edge of my seat.

Tobor said:
It's RPG tradition, Rogues usually derive damage based on dexterity or dexterity/strength.

There is a talent you can take as a Rogue that will use cunning in place of strength for damage calculation, so anyone who shirked on strength can take that and become an instant powerhouse, assuming their cunning is high.

That does not affect to-hit.

Also, i need help.

level 7 rogue

Str: 17
Dex: 26
Will: 12
Mag:10
Cun: 20
Con: 12

I am a dwarven rogue.

At first i was planning on specializing in Assassination and being DPS, but between Morrigan on DPS and the inability to open chests, i was contemplating going Bard and utility.

Any suggestions?

Wiggum2007

Hrm, I really much prefer my Dwarf Noble warrior's origin storyline, and am eager to see its resolution.. but I'm also finding a mage more fun to play what with the large variety of different spells and such. Decisions, decisions.

lorddarkflare said:
That does not affect to-hit.

A rogue is going to be pumping Dex anyway, so it doesn't matter. 6 pts of Str = 6 pts of Dex in terms of attack rating, both add 3. There is no advantage to splitting points between both str and dex with regards to increasing to-hit. A rogue with lethality has no real need for strength other than to fulfill equipment requirements.

Captain N

My wife watches me play this game and tells me what I should say to everything. She has me talk to everyone and seems to know everything that should be said and I'm not sure what to think of it.

blood mage spec is overpowered as hell. i only have the first BM spell, and i never run out of mana, basically my mage stands there, spams spells and by the time the enemy gets to me, its already dead. regen is like free mana pots non stop.
i wish i could say the same about morrigan, once she's oom, i have to let her shift into an ugly spider to not be completely useless, but as a spider she could hardly do any damage. master shapeshifter didn't help either, i saved up 3 talent points and tried it out and found that it really wasn't worth it. she is much much more effective dpsing and ccing in caster form.

Basileus777 said:
A rogue is going to be pumping Dex anyway, so it doesn't matter. 6 pts of Str = 6 pts of Dex in terms of attack rating, both add 3. There is no advantage to splitting points between both str and dex with regards to increasing to-hit. A rogue with lethality has no real need for strength other than to fulfill equipment requirements.

Ahhh, i forgot about DEX and to-hit. Shit, now i cannot wait until i can get Lethality.

Thanks.

Zzoram

Captain N said:
My wife watches me play this game and tells me what I should say to everything. She has me talk to everyone and seems to know everything that should be said and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Be glad that she's letting you play so much.

Zzoram

Um, did Dragon Age just get a patch? I think Steam just patched my game. Hopefully this is the 1.02 official or 1.01b or something, and fixes the Dwarf Noble lost items and Dex to dagger damage calculation.

gillty

Banned
imo one of the best RPGs i've had the chance to play this decade. :D
2m69993.jpg

Shapeshifter is not so bad. Master Shapeshifter + Flying Swarm + Mass Rejuvenation + Haste is like a meat grinder on non-boss fights. Just stay away from mages with fire spells.

Zzoram said:
Um, did Dragon Age just get a patch? I think Steam just patched my game. Hopefully this is the 1.02 official or 1.01b or something, and fixes the Dwarf Noble lost items and Dex to dagger damage calculation.
Don't get your hopes up. It seems steam is messing around with cd keys some more.

Captain N

Zzoram said:
Be glad that she's letting you play so much.

I only got to play the game for an hour so far. I played through almost all of the origin stories as I am trying to figure out who I want to play as first.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just starting out. Anything in particular I should know? Something you wish you knew when you started? I believe I'm a city elf. Plan on dual-wielding and stabbing stuff.

wayward archer said:
Shapeshifter is not so bad. Master Shapeshifter + Flying Swarm + Mass Rejuvenation + Haste is like a meat grinder on non-boss fights. Just stay away from mages with fire spells.
it's not bad. but just not as powerful as the other two dps specs. and the use of it is rather limited, imo, because you lose valuable cc skills and burst damage when you shift out of caster form.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lorddarkflare said:
Really?

It was well paced, the ending was amazing, and the devs knew when to make it hit hard(only time spelling out the consequences of your action is well done), but i hardly think that the story was that good.

The writing was too erratic and the translation was of-times too poor, let us not mention the lacking presentation(animations, models and voices needed work)

I will however agree with your first assessment. Many times through, i kept on telling myself that this was how Mass Effect cast should have been
The Witcher has a much better story-line then dragon age, so far. It felt fresher, less cliched. Dragon age does have the edge in voice acting, presentation overall. However, i haven't played the enhanced version yet, which supposedly significantly improves the translation and voice acting.

markot

Banned
The button at the top with the dudes on it.

Can only do it in some places though. Not sure how it decides though, some cities you can do it in, others you have to go to camp or something to change.

Lafiel said:
The Witcher has a much better story-line then dragon age, so far. It felt fresher, less cliched. Dragon age does have the edge in voice acting, presentation overall. However, i haven't played the enhanced version yet, which supposedly significantly improves the translation and voice acting.

That is the one i played, and while there is an improvement, it is still rough compared to Bioware's work.

And i suppose you are correct with the fact that Witcher was less cliched(i still hate Tolkien-esque fantasy not penned by Tolkien), but the presentation really hurts it.

Not to mention, whatever you may think of the plot, the writing is extremely uneven, whereas DA is solid throughout (so far).

Chairhome

Finally started playing... this game is amazing! Did the human noble origin (as a rogue), just passed the origin so I'll be busy for a while.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
BAh. Almost done. I'm still pissed at how crappy the battle system really is. It definitely needs a lot more work.

It's hard to think of any good strategy when you're always fucking outnumbered and fighting 2 or 3 to one.

epmode

Lafiel said:
I never played the original release of The Witcher so I really don't understand why people are complaining about a shitty translation, dialogue and voice acting. Seemed fine to me, and I'm usually really touchy about that stuff. The animation is no worse than your typical WRPG either.

And now that we're on the subject, I much prefer The Witcher's ultra-bleak world to Dragon Age's.

Kuro Madoushi said:
BAh. Almost done. I'm still pissed at how crappy the battle system really is. It definitely needs a lot more work.

It's hard to think of any good strategy when you're always fucking outnumbered and fighting 2 or 3 to one.

???????

Pause is your friend.

I am not a huge fan of it either, but i do not believe it to be 'crappy.'

epmode said:
I never played the original release of The Witcher so I really don't understand why people are complaining about a shitty translation, dialogue and voice acting. The animation is no worse than your typical WRPG either.

And now that we're on the subject, I much prefer The Witcher's ultra-bleak world design to Dragon Age.

I just played the EE, and i definitely noticed the issues.

I have no preference for worlds, i just want the writing to get it down (witcher was certainly lacking), but i will say that the further a fantasy work strays from Tolkien, the better, and i am glad that Withcer's world does and disappointed that DA does not.

markot

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:

........ Thats why you need stratagy >.>

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro Madoushi said:

There is tons of strategy to be had as long as you keep your party versatile. You also should always be using the environment and range to your advantage. Pausing is your friend. I would also recommend straight up turning off tactics or simply toggling "hold" and micromanaging all of your characters.

Personally I am finding Dragon Age's battle system to be a ton of fun. It is quite possibly my favorite of any RPG, although I do wish there was a little more versatility in classes. Some of the abilities seem fairly useless as well. Maybe they will be more important on harder difficulties.

Zeliard

Combat's the best part of the game. You're almost always outnumbered which is precisely why you need to use tactics and strategy.

epmode

lorddarkflare said:
I just played the EE, and i definitely noticed the issues.
Maybe I should reinstall but I remember that the voice acting was at least decent. And most of the major characters did a great job (incidentals not so much). But translation problems? I don't remember that at all.

Zeliard said:
Combat's the best part of the game. You're almost always outnumbered which is precisely why you need to use tactics and strategy.
I am going to repeat my self again. I wish they would explain the damn rule set for combat. Its so damn vague.

epmode said:
Maybe I should reinstall but I remember that the voice acting was at least decent. And most of the major characters did a great job (incidentals not so much). But translation problems? I don't remember that at all.

The incidentals were some my favorite(i love Vaska, as well as Hermit), but you are correct, they were the weak links (except for Dandelion, i wanted to murder him).

As for the translation/writing, this was definitely something that irked me, but then again i am a dash bit more sensitive to these things than most, it did not help that i had just finished with Planescape.

Once you get Wynn in your group, you'll end up pausing less. I have her buff and heal everyone while I control the tank. I do my aggro move to get all the enemies on me and basically just micromanage the dps(setting the rogue in the right place for backstabs, etc.). I should have gone to the
tower
to get her first, instead of heading to the capital. I've been playing for 30 hours without a dedicated healer, basically using potions the entire time. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
I am going to repeat my self again. I wish they would explain the damn rule set for combat. Its so damn vague.

More transparency would definitely be nice. I wish they would just include a combat log that the user could toggle on and off.

Lostconfused said:

How so? The basic structure is a tank, dps, and heals/utility. Maybe it's my background in mmo's, but the rule set didn't bother me at all.

Top Bottom