• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard | High-Level Combat Video

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The party combos look faster to pull off from DA:I...but that stuff was second nature to me by the time I got 1/3 of the way through that game.

I understand why you cannot take direct control of your other party members (dev time, studio direction, etc) but I don't like that change personally.

**Update**
Just watched the part where the R3 "finisher" showed up. I didn't know they were going for God of War style game but now you get TWO Atreus. The surprise is on me for not watching the previous videos.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dragon Ball GIF by Toei Animation

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Honestly looks like a fun action RPG. Like FFXVI if it actually had RPG elements.

I doubt bosses will touch what XVI did but the normal enemy fights look fun and have enough complexity to keep it interesting.

Gameplay: cautiously optimistic
Story: who knows

Will be looking forward to it in a year on GP.

JayK47

With so many games coming out in the next year, this one doesn't stand out in a good way. I may eventually pick it up, but I am not really excited for it. I can definitely wait for all content to be made for it, fully patched, and on sale.

Luipadre

Looks like you can use companion skills with hotkeys too without pausing. UI looks too mobile-ish, but honestly the combat looks fun

Luipadre

With so many games coming out in the next year, this one doesn't stand out in a good way. I may eventually pick it up, but I am not really excited for it. I can definitely wait for all content to be made for it, fully patched, and on sale.
What you mean all the content made for it? Like story DLCs? This isnt a live servive game just FYI

JayK47

What you mean all the content made for it? Like story DLCs? This isnt a live servive game just FYI
I would expect DLC for this at some point. I would not even consider the game if it were live service. Looking at the Steam page, I am surprised to not see a season pass or some BS. The deluxe edition just includes other appearance options. Um, ok. Where are the loot boxes and DA bucks?

Dynasty8

I don't know...trying to be optimistic, but the more I see and the more I read about the game, the less interested I am getting. And I loved Origins, DA2 and Inquisition.

Looks decent enough, it'll probably be alright like Inquisition but the writing and characters are almost guaranteed to be trash so it'll end up being worse than Inquisition.

I'll play it when I can get it free or on something like gamepass

Stafford

Looks quite good to me. DAI never managed to feel right with the real-time combat but it looks to be a lot of fun here. Of course I'd need to play it first to really know if that's the case. But I like what I'm seeing.

Yoda

Doesn't look awful. But the color palette and my hunch that the story is going to be god awful still has this as a no buy from me. (Have 300 hours clocked in for DAO)

drotahorror

Prolly in the minority but looks pretty fun. As someone not a fan of the series it's interesting me. That's probably the issue though.

Aenima

The combat looks good at 1st glance. Not a big fan of the art direction but even that has some cool looking moments. Not sure it will be a day 1 buy but its going to my wishlist.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
10 min combat video. The art style is still weird and the UI looks horrible, but the skill tree/gear/combat looks decent imo especially from 8:30

Definitely the best showing so far. Still not feeling that art style overall, a little bland or cartoony or something.

But combat actually looked fun and the skills looked cool.

Hope rekindled... slightly.

Zathalus

Looks like it could be fun, I’ll give it a go if reviews are good. Can always refund if I don’t enjoy it.

God, this looks bland. Honestly, I think I'm still burned out on this series after Inquisition. That game was so long and tedious at times that I still have yet to recover.

Combat looks incredible, but Jesus christ do not read any of the text on screen. They spoil a (imo) major plot point in the context text for what your Rook is doing there.

Morons.

ClosBSAS

I’m trying to give this game a chance, but I don’t know, none of this looks fun at all to me.
i just canceled my pre order after this video. will play on ea play pro, this shit looks so bad. that artstyle is complete trash, my god. mobile ui interface, ala mobile gaming, ugly ass characters......wtf man....

Last edited:
Even if the combat turns out surprisingly decent. The art style and the writing will make this shit unappealing. This product is selling for $70 bucks. Much rather buy Baldurs Gate 3.

StueyDuck

if that is considered high level, then what is average gameplay gonna be like.

don't get me wrong it looks fine, but they showing this off like this is meant to be a really tricky fight and you need them l33t skills to do this.

It kind of just reminds me of the avengers (obviously not the exact same gameplay) where just everything is all flashy and your character is doing flips but all it really amounts to is red bar decreases.

maybe these are bad enemies to show off the mechanics but i never really got the sensation that your moves were doing anything other than, freeze for a second then red bar goes down

Last edited:

Hugare

Cant put into words how much I despise the art direction and UI

I wanted to give this game a chance cause I love Dragon Age, but man, I just cant

Ogbert

Gold Member
They're trying. Lord knows they're trying.

I'm just not convinced it looks that fun. If it's a hack and slash, I don't want to pause in the middle of each and every fight.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Combat imo looks like a discount Dragon's Dogma, but with and added layer of strategy thanks to being able to give orders to your companions.

Doesn't look all that bad, the world needs more party-based ARPGs like this and DD. But man, between all that purple, the UI clutter and the bland, kinda World of Warcraft looking designs... Yeah I'm not sure. Not betting on this being a success, specially since I can imagine many DA fans being pissed because of the change in gameplay direction.

Last edited:

Filben

Do we know which platform they took the footage from?

After that first cinematic trailer back then I expected the worse but this isn't too bad. It seems like it could be a lot of fun gameplay-wise. Regarding story and dialogues, no one can say right now.

Top Bottom