• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard | High-Level Combat Video

Dr.Morris79

How did this franchise lose its way so badly?
XLA5LRW.jpeg

Tis a mystery sire :pie_thinking:

Basically, it's now been vampired by woke weirdos and activists that are going to wear the better work from others as the gaming equivalent of a skin suit.

Don't forget to pre order.

nowhat

They decided they weren't happy with the first game's success and kept trying to appeal to a broader audience.
For the record, it was EA that a) demanded a sequel in 18 months, and b) insisted it be called "Dragon Age 2" to invite all the comparisons to Origins, with predictable results.

If only they made this into a Souls game, then this forum would like it.

I'm not jazzed about the artstyle, but its not that big of a deal. Looking at the recommended specs on Steam I'd wager that the artstyle was intentional to reduce polygon counts to get better performance, which is what really matters.

nowhat

Dragon Age is the story and characters, not the combat.
I kinda agree with you, but about the story we know nothing of thus far. Other than being a continuation of the events in Trespasser, which makes for an intriguing starting point for sure, but we'll see where it goes. When it comes to characters though, so far no one of them interests me, one bit. And I say this as very much a fan of the series, warts and all.

...with the exception of scout Harding, of course. If I get to bone/scissor her (either way works, I'm not picky), that will be a plus in my book.

T4keD0wN

What Android game(s) plays like that?
Play specifically? Youre in luck cause theres thousands of them, most of them are not 3rd person, but theres still a lot of 3rd person ones. Go to "Darkness Rises" "Pascals Wager" "Iron Blade" or "Blade of God" playstore pages and look at similar apps, alternatively just type (A)RPG/fantasy into the seach bar and you find a lot of similar looking stuff in few minutes of browsing. Theres probably hundreds more delisted ones if you want to go that way.

thatJohann

I think I reached my limit with modern gaming, this UI looks so unappealing and complex when I all I want to do is go back to the simplicity of Dreamcast games with simple UIs and pick up and play mechanics.

Toots

Gold Member
Dragon Age is the story and characters, not the combat.
Youre Wrong Season 1 GIF by Sony Pictures Television

Dragon Age is the memories you made playing the first one because it was the only one good enough for you to make memories.

On a more serious note, i remember when dragon age released a long time ago there was many talks about the battle system, inspired by baldur's gate with the strategic pause and hard as fuck unlike what players were used to at the time.
Of course the story was important since it's a RPG but the game difficulty and unforgiving battle system was the main selling point at the time.
It might be totally wrong since it's only memories, but Morrigan was a beloved character in the first, and to see her storyline through, you'd have to face a few gruesome boss fights. Story was tied to those extra difficult fights. Also when DA2 released a lot of the criticism against it was the dumbing down of the battle system to something akin to an action rpg.

StereoVsn

10 min combat video. The art style is still weird and the UI looks horrible, but the skill tree/gear/combat looks decent imo especially from 8:30

Yeah, I am not digging this at all. It looks mid, I am not a fan to changes in combat and lack of party control is a deal breaker for me anyways.

I might play this for $10 in couple of years just to see how bad it is.

StereoVsn

Combat imo looks like a discount Dragon's Dogma, but with and added layer of strategy thanks to being able to give orders to your companions.

Doesn't look all that bad, the world needs more party-based ARPGs like this and DD. But man, between all that purple, the UI clutter and the bland, kinda World of Warcraft looking designs... Yeah I'm not sure. Not betting on this being a success, specially since I can imagine many DA fans being pissed because of the change in gameplay direction.
You can’t control your party in combat though. They are like ME Andromeda basically relegated on being cool down moves. Meh.

TheStam

That combat looks better than I would have expected really. How they handle the story and writing is what worries me more.

StereoVsn

Or you know..mass effect 1 -3.
Well, in ME you could direct your party to an extent and even in ME2 / ME3 it was a lot more vs Andromeda.

That was another reason ME1 was my favorite of the trilogy despite its issues and I think it’s unfortunate that BioWare streamlined RPG systems and went to more shooter route with 2/3 vs fixing problems with 1.

Last edited:
Well, in ME you could direct your party to an extent and even in ME2 / ME3 it was a lot more vs Andromeda.

That was another reason ME1 was my favorite of the trilogy despite its issues and I think it’s unfortunate that BioWare streamlined RPG systems and went to more shooter route with 2/3 vs fixing problems with 1.
Pretty sure I saw you could direct your team mate to attack or aggro the enemies. In me 1 it literally was attack that geth, stay here, gogogo.

XLA5LRW.jpeg

Tis a mystery sire :pie_thinking:

Basically, it's now been vampired by woke weirdos and activists that are going to wear the better work from others as the gaming equivalent of a skin suit.

Don't forget to pre order.
This actually made me curious so I went a little bit into a rabbit hole and looked up the team that is making this game:

Lead Writer is Trick Weekes (since 2005 at BioWare; wrote for both all Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1-3)

The other writers are (with time at BioWare):

- Brianne Battye (since 2012)
- Sheryl Chee (since 2005)
- John Dombrow (since 2009; left in 2023 but finished work on this game)
- Sylvia Feketekuty (since 2010)
- Mary Kirby (since 2006; left in 2023 but also finished work)
- Lukas Kristjanson (since 1996, same as Mary Kirby)
- Karin Weekes (since 2006)

So.. This looks good to me? Writing is probably on point which is the most important thing in Dragon Age

The creative director is John Epler who has been there since 2007.

Executive Producer is Mark Darrah (there since around 1997; left briefly but rejoined in 2023).

Art Director is Matt Rhodes (there since around 2004).

Looks like that wiki article is quiet the exaggeration :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

nashman

Why is this game so so so so purple? From the box art to your characters clothes, to the magic they use, to to UI. HOLY SHIT WE GET IT YOU LOVE PURPLE!

I love DA1. I'd put it on my top ten games of all time. I loved its gritty, harsh, mature world. Blood magic and fire! Not once did I stop myself and think damn this world it cool! But you know what it needs? WAY MORE PURPLE!

Why is this game so so so so purple? From the box art to your characters clothes, to the magic they use, to to UI. HOLY SHIT WE GET IT YOU LOVE PURPLE!

I love DA1. I'd put it on my top ten games of all time. I loved its gritty, harsh, mature world. Blood magic and fire! Not once did I stop myself and think damn this world it cool! But you know what it needs? WAY MORE PURPLE!
I had a shower thought about this the other day: You know how there is blue lyrium and red lyrium (since DA2)? And how blue is related to the fade and red to the blighted material world? And the story they have set up in DA:I is Solas tearing down the veil and merging the two?

What happens if you mix the colors blue and red?

:messenger_winking:

Last edited:

nashman

I had a shower thought about this the other day: You know how there is blue lyrium and red lyrium (since DA2)? And how blue is related to the fade and red to the blighted material world? And the story they have set up in DA:I is Solas tearing down the veil and merging the two?

What happens if you mix the colors blue and red?

:messenger_winking:
Welp if thats the case, there is a thing called subtlety. Which this game clearly lacks.

justice-league-aquaman.gif

It looks like Mass Effect with swords. Probably not what Dragon Age fans want, but I like what I see 🤷‍♂️

Also I’m a sucker for Captain America-style shield throwing gameplay.

CrippledGod

Banned
Preordered. Really wish this is a return to form for Bioware. So far everything I hear sounds good as if they finally understood that playing to their biggest strengths is a winning strategy.

If they are basically iterating on ME2 formula with modern day gameplay enhancements - that's excellent news. A bit weird that DA is going in that direction but after a bloat ware that was Inquisition - quality over quantity approach is sorely needed.

Dr.Morris79

This actually made me curious so I went a little bit into a rabbit hole and looked up the team that is making this game:

Lead Writer is Trick Weekes (since 2005 at BioWare; wrote for both all Dragon Age and Mass Effect 1-3)

The other writers are (with time at BioWare):

- Brianne Battye (since 2012)
- Sheryl Chee (since 2005)
- John Dombrow (since 2009; left in 2023 but finished work on this game)
- Sylvia Feketekuty (since 2010)
- Mary Kirby (since 2006; left in 2023 but also finished work)
- Lukas Kristjanson (since 1996, same as Mary Kirby)
- Karin Weekes (since 2006)

So.. This looks good to me? Writing is probably on point which is the most important thing in Dragon Age

The creative director is John Epler who has been there since 2007.

Executive Producer is Mark Darrah (there since around 1997; left briefly but rejoined in 2023).

Art Director is Matt Rhodes (there since around 2004).

Looks like that wiki article is quiet the exaggeration :messenger_grinning_squinting:
With this in mind this should be a brilliant Dragon Age game

Can't wait.

Top Bottom