• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard won't let you control your companions because you can't handle it: "This is a much higher actions-per-minute game"

LectureMaster

Gold Member

That's a major deviation from the rest of the series, but Busche says there's a simple reason for that - Dragon Age: The Veilguard "is a much higher actions-per-minute game. It is more technically demanding on the player. So when we tried allowing you full control of your companions as well, what we've found is it wasn't actually adding to the experience. In fact, in some ways it was detrimental, given the demanding nature of just controlling your own character."

Thoughts? I think it's total horseshit excuse.

------------------------------------------------------

Update: Looks like there is a string of new info of the game from an interview with Edge.

• The game is trying to get players to switch up companions more than in previous games (where Bioware data shows most players stick with the same group of companions for the majority of the game), including by more missions that have a required companion or lock you out of using certain companions.
  • You might run into companions who are not currently in your party at times, as they continue to explore the world. An example given is exploring Docktown for an unrelated reason but running into Neve working on her own mission and being able to stop what you're doing and join her.
  • The companion side quests are big and there are big potential story consequences if you don't complete them as they will play out on their own.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
c3bbcda0-25d2-4887-beaf-f329bfec79ae_text.gif

Let's see how this plays out princess. It could be a great game or a funny disaster comedy.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

First thing I thought of was FF7 Remake/Rebirth combat. It's almost unfair that it's pretty much perfection.

Will wait and see how it turns out, but their reasoning does sound a bit like a 'we couldn't figure it out' or 'it was too hard basket' or 'we aren't skilled enough' spin type thing.
Maybe I'm wrong and it's best for the game and experience.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I read the other day (can't remember where) they were expressing their discontent on the past games 'Character Creator' for not being able to recreate accurate the colors of the characters' skin in order to provide a "better representation for people of color".

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF
There you go. Brave and stunning.

Doom85

Ironically though, from the same series only one year prior:

Oh No Bereit GIF by PlayStationDE

I would prefer party control, but XVI failed additionally by:

-only one weapon type (given the classes options of this DA game, this shouldn’t be an issue with your MC)
-zero party leveling, and barely any stats at all, and leveling the MC barely makes a difference anyway (remains to be seen if this will be an issue with this DA game)

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Game designers feel the need to come up with weird excuses for some of their design decisions, when it would probably go over better with players if they just admitted "this is the way we wanted to design combat" or whatever.

"The game is trying to get players to switch up companions more than in previous games (where Bioware data shows most players stick with the same group of companions for the majority of the game), including by more missions that have a required companion or lock you out of using certain companions."

Player choice is the enemy of diversity.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They know about Tales of and Star Ocean series that has fast pace action combat and still let you switch between character members?

Heck you have action game like Astral chain you literally controlling two characters as at the same time.
j4RkbJM.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'll play it on GP. Not expecting much but I'll give it a fair shot.

I never expected this to be anything like the previous games. Its different people.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  • The game is trying to get players to switch up companions more than in previous games (where Bioware data shows most players stick with the same group of companions for the majority of the game), including by more missions that have a required companion or lock you out of using certain companions.
This is how I like to play RPGs. Stick to a core. Even if it hurts my group in some battles because I'm using a less efficient class, I like sticking with the family.

They are probably forcing character swapping so they can mandate gamers playing some DEI stuff, or to purposely stretch out the game where any characters forced into your group may require more grinding to level up compared to your core group which is maxing out XP from the beginning.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You didn't control your party in the last DA either and that was okay. Not great but okay. It's just par for the course for these games.. they have taken everything else away and dumbed them down.

But that's okay as balders gate 3 gave it all back and was a huge success so there is hope for these types of games to turn around in the future. This one was just too far gone in development before Bg3 came out.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You can fully control companions in Inquisition. And it means you can play all nine specializations, very fun.
Maybe I'm not understanding this news then. In DAI you can take control of them but not direct them like you could in the first games. You can only change their AI priorities or be them.

Top Bottom