• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 6 DS |OT| of Tax-Free 2DS Valentine's Slime Curling

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Even though I grinded a lot to get my characters the Hero class, the last dungeon's monsters, coupled with the encounter rate, are a doozy. Tonight I should finally have the main game done, not sure if I even want to continue with the postgame at this rate, or just move on to something else (TitS!). Are the bonuses for beating the postgame worth it?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, I'm at the point where if I put the game down for even a few days, I am utterly lost when I return.

Have pretty much entire freedom to explore the world(s) at will(including the underwater) and I'm a little bummed there wasn't a journal option included. I completely forgot where the fortuneteller is to get back on track. (Any of the Zoom options don't seem to point me to one, or at least I forgot the name of the location for her).

My last major action was
defeating the evil fish guy underwater and re-emerging the lost magical city...have no idea where that happened though, or where the city is. I did stumble on the Beauty contest, but am stuck trying to get a girl in my party to have enough points to move on, 228 is my max so far on Ashlynn. I did win some carpet which I have no clue what to do with.

Any help? I'll start looking at a walkthrough I guess, but the severe encounter rate makes just exploring a real slog unfortunately. Really want to put this game to bed finally.

MooMoo

Brandon F said:
Wow, I'm at the point where if I put the game down for even a few days, I am utterly lost when I return.

Have pretty much entire freedom to explore the world(s) at will(including the underwater) and I'm a little bummed there wasn't a journal option included. I completely forgot where the fortuneteller is to get back on track. (Any of the Zoom options don't seem to point me to one, or at least I forgot the name of the location for her).

My last major action was
defeating the evil fish guy underwater and re-emerging the lost magical city...have no idea where that happened though, or where the city is. I did stumble on the Beauty contest, but am stuck trying to get a girl in my party to have enough points to move on, 228 is my max so far on Ashlynn. I did win some carpet which I have no clue what to do with.

Any help? I'll start looking at a walkthrough I guess, but the severe encounter rate makes just exploring a real slog unfortunately. Really want to put this game to bed finally.
Someone should double check this but:
The magical carpet should give you access to areas you previously couldn't reach. You'll have to search around since I can't recall what places you should be visiting with the carpet. At least with the magic carpet there are no monster encounters while it's in use. If you re-emerged a lost magical city, then it should be located in the dream world in the middle of the ocean.
I can understand your frustration. I think the game does sort of open up too abruptly and the high encounter rate (it certainly feels higher than the DQ4/DQ5 encounter rates) certainly doesn't make the exploration particularly fun.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Brandon F said:

My last major action was

Use the magic carpet in the bottom left corner of one of the worlds to access a castle where you can get the magic armor

Ultima_5

I'm at the very end of the game right before the final boss. My main party is Hero, Carver, Nevan, and Milly. Hero & Carver are both gladiators, and the other two are sages. All of which have about 4/5 stars into their vocations. All leveled at 35/36

I also have the healslime, terry, lizzy, and ashylnn in the wagon. which have varying levels and vocations.

What level should I be for the final boss? I dont want to grind because I'm 35ish hours in, and honestly I just want to finish this game. I spend about 30 mins looking for king metal slimes right infront of the final dungeon, and only found one...

How many more levels should I go up? I'm planning on just leveling up the vocations up enough so my two sages have multiheal moves.

Ultima_5

KarmaCow said:
If you have Multiheal you should be fine. I think the Knuckle Punch is especially good for that fight as well.

Thank you! I don't know why, but I found this game far more tedious than DQ5... I also don't think the characters are nearly as charming or interesting.

I'm finally near the end of this after all this time. First Pokemon got in the way, then 3DS got in the way, and the beginning didn't blow me away like 4 and 5 did, so it was on the backburner for awhile.

I just love these games. Every single one I've played the super fast battle system, the simplicity, the charm, the depth even though it's simple. It makes Final Fantasy borderline unplayable, really.

I guess up next is finishing up 8. I can never play one of these games in a row.

It's definitely worth it. I think it was that you were just thrown into the game and it didn't make sense, but when they explain things and why you're there and what's going on its really cool.

Oxx

I think I might be quite close to the end. Last I played I was smoked by one of the late-game bosses.

Unfortunately I decided to put the game down rather than go straight back and fight again, so now I'm not really relishing trying to refamiliarise myself with the game just before a boss that destroyed me.

Taichu

Heh, I just picked this up again too. It released at the worst time, right next to Pokemon and 3DS. I started over since I screwed up the Amos part.

Yeah, I screwed that up too. I was too far in I kept going!!!

I'm playing Golden Sun DS after this. I'm worried that I'm going to dislike it after playing this though. When I played the first two Golden Suns I didn't know DQ existed. When I started Dark Dawn I was really really bored most of the time. It just didn't feel the same, especially after being spoiled by DQ.

Oxx

Honestly I had completely forgotten I even owned Golden Sun 3.

Between Dragon Quest 9, Dragon Quest 6, Golden Sun, Pokemon Black, and Radiant Historia I have been spread too thin.

I'm almost glad that Inazuma 11 didn't make it to the UK.

Is Radiant Historia THAT good? I still have to finish FF5 and 6 too though. :-( I don't want to add ANOTHER RPG on the list if I don't have to.

Oxx

I enjoyed what I played of it. It definitely felt fresh compared to all the sequels I listed earlier.

Just got back from Holiday where I spent about 40 hours going through the main quest. Quite a bit of that was stuck at a certain point.

Was at the Tower where the Pegasus is...no Ultimate Key so couldn't get in. So I had to pretty much explore the entire game to find the shipwreck it was on.

As a result of that I wound up with 96 Mini medals except...I didn't find the palace to exchange them until I had that many. I think I'll forget the last 4. Though one is in
Cryptic Catacombs if you go down a certain pathway in basement 1

As for monsters I recruited. Of what I could in main game without dreamsharing, I only missed one...which was probably the most useful one;
the Healslime due to Omniheal
. Though
Lizzie
was handy too due to
Kazing and C-c-cold Breath, plus generally high stats

The final boss was a pain and fist time I died
(I had nobody with multiheal nor insulate and sage's stone and hustle dance couldn't cut it...made it to final form though)
so I grinded for a bit. Thank you
Sands of Time and Metal King Slime
. Second time was a close call as I find Dragon Quest final bosses tend to be
I did it in the worst way, kill right hand so left hand uses Kazing, kill left hand so right hand uses zing, destroy head and left hand uses kazing, kill left hand, right hand uses zing with fails and shortly after right hand goes down. I thank the Earth summon for keeping up the pressure as basically being a 5th party member, sadly it died during the fight to the typical disruptive wave and unable to heal enough/get insulate up in time

Johnas

I'm nearing the end of my second time through this game and I still enjoyed it for the most part. There's a bitter part of me that will never get over the fact that NA got screwed out of the best version of DQI (SNES), DQII (SNES), DQIII (SNES), DQIV (PS1), DQV (PS2) and DQVI (SNES) so I continually think of the beautiful 2D version of this game that never got brought over as I play this. These graphics are serviceable, but not the same. I do really admire the character sprites, and the enemies all look great.

I did not take the time and effort to max out the highest jobs, kill the secret boss, do anything in the Slimopolis, find all the mini medals, etc. my first run through the game, so I plan on attempting some of that this round until I tire of it.

Overall I still find this an extremely solid DQ title, and as I mentioned previously in the thread it completes the Zenithian trilogy quite nicely. I really took advantage of party talk this time through, it's pretty amazing just how much extra dialogue there is. Even if some of it is redundant, each character's extra lines accurately reflect their personality as revealed elsewhere in the game.

I know Horii (I believe) has commented to the effect that DQX will be similar to DQVIII, I truly hope for that. DQIX just lacked the feel of the other entries. VIII felt a lot like them, despite the dramatic graphical change.

Johnas

So on this second playthrough I have:

Maxed at least one of every job (reward:
gospel ring, which eliminates random battles when worn
)

Found all the recruitable slimes

Found all 100 mini medals (reward:
robust lingerie

Completed the entire style competition (reward:
happy hat
)

Completed the slimopolis (reward:
Goober, a recruitable slime
)

Completed the bestiary (reward:
nothing
)

However, I have yet to beat the bonus boss. My levels are mid-40s, and I have finally discovered a job/equipment arrangement that seems to work well, if it wasn't for certain random variables (who will he put to sleep, etc.). I don't want to grind for hours on end just to beat him, but after a few more tries I may have to resort to that, unfortunately.

EDIT: Got him! 32 turns.
Looks like I have to kill him in 20 turns or less to truly defeat him, however

Johnas

Finally managed to beat
Nokturnus
in under 20 rounds after leveling to the mid-50s.

Pretty surprised at what happened afterwards:
Nokturnus offers to do your bidding, and goes and obliterates Mortamor. Then in the ending, Terry makes a trip back to visit Nokturnus, not sure what that was about

Also, is DQVI a prequel to IV and V, like III is to I and II? It seems logical because the pieces of legendary equipment each have unique names, whereas in IV and V they're just individually called Zenithian Sword, Zenithian Shield, etc.

Secondly, when you choose to view the
"far future" in the bonus dungeon, it recreates Weaver's Peak as Reaper's Peak with all the characters from DQV, so it seems logical to assume the "near future" would have DQIV characters, although I haven't chosen that option

Thirdly, during the game's ending,
Castle Zenithia lifts off and flies, after the rest of the dream world disappears. This doesn't necessarily indicate the order of the games, but the castle exists in IV and V, whereas those games have no references (that I'm aware of) to the dream world

Oxx

I'm trying to get back into the game after a long absence. After getting destroyed by
Mortamor
when my main was level 39, it might be time to do a bit of grinding.

Johnas

Oxx said:
I'm trying to get back into the game after a long absence. After getting destroyed by
Mortamor
when my main was level 39, it might be time to do a bit of grinding.

In my playthroughs, by that time experience levels were fine, but job levels were lacking. Not that you didn't keep up with them, but the flow of the game is such that by the time you reach the end, the normal amount of battles wasn't high enough to offer you the opportunity to max out the best jobs. Underwater battling seems to be the quickest way to catch up.

This last playthrough I fought Mortamor with two dragons (Hero and Carver) and two sages (Nevan and Milly) with all those jobs maxed, and that worked out fine. I forget my exact experience levels, but I think Hero was the highest at 42. I never went out of my way to gain experience, but I did grind underwater for those job levels.

Johnas said:
I'm nearing the end of my second time through this game and I still enjoyed it for the most part. There's a bitter part of me that will never get over the fact that NA got screwed out of the best version of DQI (SNES), DQII (SNES), DQIII (SNES), DQIV (PS1), DQV (PS2) and DQVI (SNES) so I continually think of the beautiful 2D version of this game that never got brought over as I play this. These graphics are serviceable, but not the same. I do really admire the character sprites, and the enemies all look great.
DQI/II/III and V PS2 I can see (though there are things I prefer in V DS over V PS2), but what about IV PS1 is better? Aside from maybe the Zenithian Castle theme, I thought just about everything of IV DS was superior, can't beat idle animations too. IV PS1 looks odd after that. VI DS is 50/50, visuals aren't as brilliant overall and the unique "feel" of VI is lost in a way, but the enemy sprites are so much more entertaining in the DS version and the battles are FAR more exciting (faster, more visually brilliant, animations etc; animation is too slow on VI SFC).

Oxx

I have been playing the game fairly lackadaisically thus-far, so it's not really a surprise that I appear un-prepared at this stage. Quite a few of the earlier boss battles were won by the last-man-standing.

At the moment Hero is Level 43 (Gladiator). Past there I'm not even sure of the best configuration of the rest of the party. I've mostly been rolling with Carver (Gladiator), Milly (Sage), and Terry (Gladiator) for Party Chat purposes.

Magicpaint said:
DQI/II/III and V PS2 I can see (though there are things I prefer in V DS over V PS2), but what about IV PS1 is better? Aside from maybe the Zenithian Castle theme, I thought just about everything of IV DS was superior, can't beat idle animations too. IV PS1 looks odd after that.

Well, the Western versions of IV DS didn't have party chat. That's pretty inferior.

Oxx said:
Well, the Western versions of IV DS didn't have party chat. That's pretty inferior.
Ah yeah forgot that, I own the Japanese version, that is definitely a sore spot. But that's the fault of the localisation and not the DS version.

Johnas

Magicpaint said:
DQI/II/III and V PS2 I can see (though there are things I prefer in V DS over V PS2), but what about IV PS1 is better? Aside from maybe the Zenithian Castle theme, I thought just about everything of IV DS was superior, can't beat idle animations too. IV PS1 looks odd after that. VI DS is 50/50, visuals aren't as brilliant overall and the unique "feel" of VI is lost in a way, but the enemy sprites are so much more entertaining in the DS version and the battles are FAR more exciting (faster, more visually brilliant, animations etc; animation is too slow on VI SFC).

Console vs. handheld.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it's true. I greatly prefer playing RPGs on a console.

Johnas said:
Console vs. handheld.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but it's true. I greatly prefer playing RPGs on a console.
Ah, right, I just thought it had to do with something specific about the version. I can definitely see how that would make a difference (as I am of the opposite opinion).

Oxx

I've enjoyed handheld RPGs in the SNES port/16-bit-style, we'll have to wait and see if the era of PS2/PS3 ports on 3DS/Vita will be as interesting.

Notorious_Roy said:
I arrived at Spiegelspire, but I'm going on a break to play some Ocarina of Time.
Okay, I get my ass kicked there... Is there a special way to defeat the boss there, what level do I have to get? Which jobs?

It seems like a real difficulty spike :(

Johnas

Notorious_Roy said:
Okay, I get my ass kicked there... Is there a special way to defeat the boss there, what level do I have to get? Which jobs?

It seems like a real difficulty spike :(

Try using Kasnooze on the enemies he summons, that worked great for me.

Johnas

Oxx said:
Well, Hero is now at level 45. Time to have a crack at the endgame again.

That's a very doable level, if you have a good setup in the jobs and equipment categories, and even for the postgame, although the
extra boss
took me a while to find just the right mix of jobs, gear, and items.

ghibli99

Johnas said:
...although the
extra boss
took me a while to find just the right mix of jobs, gear, and items.
I have yet to do that part... I felt completely unmotivated to do so after I finished the game. :(

Johnas

ghibli99 said:
I have yet to do that part... I felt completely unmotivated to do so after I finished the game. :(

I got obliterated the first time I tried, but after some practice and, like I said before, the optimal combination of classes and equipment, it's not too bad. Now, doing it
in 20 turns or less
is different altogether. I finally managed that after bringing everyone
up to the low 50s

I do dislike that the bonus dungeon
is just a mix of pieces of other dungeons
, that has always really bothered me in DQ games. DQVIII did it just right, having something brand new, and extremely interesting.

ghibli99

Johnas said:
I got obliterated the first time I tried, but after some practice and, like I said before, the optimal combination of classes and equipment, it's not too bad. Now, doing it
in 20 turns or less
is different altogether. I finally managed that after bringing everyone
up to the low 50s

I do dislike that the bonus dungeon
is just a mix of pieces of other dungeons
, that has always really bothered me in DQ games. DQVIII did it just right, having something brand new, and extremely interesting.
Haha, you're reminding me that I have yet to do a lot of the extra stuff in these games! :) I tried it once in DQ7, and got my butt handed to me. Didn't mess with much at all in DQ8 after the credits rolled, only because I felt the main quest was challenging enough. DQ9 is probably the only game I've spent much time with in the postgame since it's such an integral part to that title's experience.

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm not much of a "postgamer" whatsoever... even my NG+ exposure in Chrono Trigger is rather limited.

Johnas

ghibli99 said:
Haha, you're reminding me that I have yet to do a lot of the extra stuff in these games! :) I tried it once in DQ7, and got my butt handed to me. Didn't mess with much at all in DQ8 after the credits rolled, only because I felt the main quest was challenging enough. DQ9 is probably the only game I've spent much time with in the postgame since it's such an integral part to that title's experience.

Now that I think about it, I guess I'm not much of a "postgamer" whatsoever... even my NG+ exposure in Chrono Trigger is rather limited.

You need to play VIII's sometime, it fleshed out the story (one really cool twist) and the extra boss is a true challenge. I didn't find VII's all that interesting, it was OK.

I have never done any of the extra endings in CT either, which shames me somewhat. That and Vagrant Story I would really like to do NG+ on someday.

I got burned out on DQIX and forgot to download the rest of the good stuff before the whole thing rolled over. I forget what I was even up to on quests, I think the last time I played was in January. :p

Oxx

It's super-easy to romp through
Mortamor's
castle at this level. At least I know it won't take long to get back to the boss if he destroys me again.

ghibli99

Johnas said:
You need to play VIII's sometime, it fleshed out the story (one really cool twist) and the extra boss is a true challenge. I didn't find VII's all that interesting, it was OK.

I got burned out on DQIX and forgot to download the rest of the good stuff before the whole thing rolled over. I forget what I was even up to on quests, I think the last time I played was in January. :p
Cool, I'll have to go back to 8's someday... it sounded really good, but after sinking 80 hours into it, I was ready to move on. :)

I did recently have a resurgence in DQ9 interest, so I played and finished about 5 more quests, but I got to a block of them that were just really tedious, so I stopped again. I guess the nice thing is that you can go back to this game whenever and not really feel too lost. If anything, it's still a nice diversion to break up my other gameplaying.

Oxx

Yup, I got beat pretty badly. Made it to the boss' third form, so I guess that's something. Obviously I'll be better prepared now that I know what works and what to expect.

Oxx

I also lost pretty handily in the latest attempt. This is a problem.

It probably doesn't help that my reserve troops are pretty shit. Ashlynn is useless at the best of times and I didn't get Amos until quite near the end so he is under-leveled.

ghibli99

Oxx said:

It probably doesn't help that my reserve troops are pretty shit. Ashlynn is useless at the best of times and I didn't get Amos until quite near the end so he is under-leveled.
Bummer! But hey, at least you *got* Amos! :)

MooMoo

Oxx said:

I don't really have any good tips since it's been a while since I've played the game. Of course, your key focus for form three should be timing the killing of both arms just right so that you aren't stuck in an infinite boss-healing loop. Ashlynn, while extremely weak, is nice for a quick swap in for Magic Burst. I doubt you missed the Sage's Stone, but if you did happen to miss it make sure you grab it and give it to someone that has high agility so that you can ensure it gets first move priority as well as save some MP in the long run. Also, if you haven't done so, go grab Lizzie. Although a tad slow to level since she's a dragon, she's definitely a strong party member once you obtain C-C-Cold Breath. Her high HP makes her a good meat shield as well.

KarmaCow

Sage's Stone is pretty shitty in DQ6, it heals what, 80hp? You're better off focusing on Multiheal and patching people up with items if you really need it.

And AFAIK Knuckle Sandwich it guaranteed to hit the hands, but will always miss the head. Or maybe it's the other way around but it does a ton of damage on the target.

MooMoo

KarmaCow said:
Sage's Stone is pretty shitty in DQ6, it heals what, 80hp? You're better off focusing on Multiheal and patching people up with items if you really need it.

And AFAIK Knuckle Sandwich it guaranteed to hit the hands, but will always miss the head. Or maybe it's the other way around but it does a ton of damage on the target.
My bad, I forgot I'm probably the only guy who refuses to use healing items and the like in RPGs. But if you're like me then my advice is really good!

ghibli99

MooMoo said:
My bad, I forgot I'm probably the only guy who refuses to use healing items and the like in RPGs.
What's the thought process behind this? Just for the challenge? Not being patronizing here; I'm genuinely curious.

MooMoo

ghibli99 said:
What's the thought process behind this? Just for the challenge? Not being patronizing here; I'm genuinely curious.
It has little to do with difficulty and more to do with the perfectionist in me. Sort of like how I HAVE to find every treasure chest even if it may hold an overpowered Mimic or some crazy monster guarding it's path, there's something that just feels more perfect/clean/natural to me if I leave my consumable items untouched. I'd be lying if I said I never used items though. I also typically do no death runs on my first playthroughs (even in the Etrian Odyssey games :S, which is terrible haha). That's all it is, pure craziness lol.

Oxx

I just forget about items most of the time. I'm too busy worrying about Kazinging people to remember that I have 5 Yggdrasil leaves in my possession.

ghibli99

MooMoo said:
It has little to do with difficulty and more to do with the perfectionist in me. Sort of like how I HAVE to find every treasure chest even if it may hold an overpowered Mimic or some crazy monster guarding it's path, there's something that just feels more perfect/clean/natural to me if I leave my consumable items untouched. I'd be lying if I said I never used items though. I also typically do no death runs on my first playthroughs (even in the Etrian Odyssey games :S, which is terrible haha). That's all it is, pure craziness lol.
Wow, you must've really hated this series before the Bag was introduced! LOL I'm the same way as you about chests/items (gotta find 'em all!), but not so much about not using the items I acquire. I feel bad when I have to use a rare or particularly powerful healing/offensive item, though.

Oxx

The final form of the final boss is still busting my balls.

Does it ever run out of MP to stop Kazinging itself?

Top Bottom