• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Finally got my copy. First impressions? The music is great! Also the art style/graphics look very good and kinda surprised this was a 2013 release.

Now, back to playing and enjoying the wonderful soundtrack.

Heropon

Got a whip from a random encounter and Maribel is the party member with the strongest physical attacks right now. It suits her very well.

Vena

A friend of mine just ordered the game and said it's likely to be a month wait now. I went and double-checked. Yeah, it looks like Amazon sold out of its stock currently. Pretty awesome news for the game!

Oh wow, I just checked. You're right. I wonder if Nintendo is distributing a limited amount out of concern or if the demand was high.

FFgamer20

Banned
I just picked up the title this morning. First true Dragon Quest game. A friend of mine warned me that I would invest over 100 hours into this. I admit that excited and frightened me at the same time. Looks like this will be my current game for a while.

magnetic

The music is nice, but as with every DQ game I played so far, songs get reused all the time, which can get a bit grating to be honest.

Man, the
volcano
dungeon is stupid full of enemies, like this is actually ridiculous. I get to walk literally a second or so between fights, and with these corridors, it's impossible to try and avoid the fights.

I think random encounters would be better here lol

e: I'm gonna die any second now lmao

Yeah, I was getting hammered by enemies every two steps. "Visible encounters will be great, I'll just run past enemies!" So much for that.

The awesome battle background with the cool smoke and the ridiculous boss still made it entertaining, though.

Oh wow, I just checked. You're right. I wonder if Nintendo is distributing a limited amount out of concern or if the demand was high.

It wouldn't shock me if it was a little bit of both. I remember when Tales of the Abyss came out and it was hard to find for the first month. It actually surprised me when i picked up my copy today that the store had sold out already.

Timeaisis

So how is this game for beginners to the series? The only DQ games I've ever played were the GBA remakes of I and II...

I'm familiar with RPGs, but just never got into this franchise. But I hear this one is huge.

magnetic

Stuck in the town with the statues. Please help, couldn't find anything via Google...

I found the secret passage, but there doesn't seem to be anything in it, only a ladder that leads to some sort of odd tower. I read somewhere that I can use the Angel Tears, but I have no idea where.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Stuck in the town with the statues. Please help, couldn't find anything via Google...

I found the secret passage, but there doesn't seem to be anything in it, only a ladder that leads to some sort of odd tower. I read somewhere that I can use the Angel Tears, but I have no idea where.

You get a prompt asking you to use the Angel Tears after climbing the ladder.

SuperSah

Banned
Man, this game has such wonderful art. I love it. I've been craving a good JRPG and boy oh boy this is delivering it in punches. :D

Man, this game has such wonderful art. I love it. I've been craving a good JRPG and boy oh boy this is delivering it in punches. :D

Yea, the art direction is great. I had seen pics and even trailers but it's still surprisingly good in person. Also like what I've heard of the music. Is this the same soundtrack and is the entire soundtrack good?

Heropon

The people in the main town react to every single event with new dialogue? I'm impressed by the attention to detail in this game so far and how it makes the island feel as a real home.

Now I understand a bit better why they were so wary of localizing it. Such work, congratulations to everyone involved.

PSFan

Things aren't really missable in DQ like they are in other JRPGs. Think of DQ as a big open world type metroidvania game. You can always backtrack. Not sure about this specific game but the other games have been like this.

False. There's things like small medals that are missable. Things that are found in areas that aren't in the game later. IX dumbed that down by having small medals unlimited and dropped by monsters in some cases.

They've been pushing for it with commercials as well, Europe too. Maybe the game won't sell like crap after all, but who knows, it's way too early to infer anything from this.

RE: the post above me - I think some mini medals are indeed missable, but there are more mini medals in the game than required to get every mini medal-related prize, so it doesn't matter even if you miss some.

magnetic

The people in the main town react to every single event with new dialogue? I'm impressed by the attention to detail in this game so far and how it makes the island feel as a real home.

Now I understand a bit better why they were so wary of localizing it. Such work, congratulations to everyone involved.

Yeah, and adding to that all the narrative text in the info menu. And all the party chat.

It's a bit immersion breaking to have all these unique lines of dialogue, varied accents, and then the same NPC models running around every single town. I've seen the old man and that chubby little kid a dozen times by now.

Especially weird since the game has an incredible amount of detailed monster designs, but NPCs coming out of a clone factory.

aravuus

I can't believe I'm saying something like this, but oh my god the princess (Liselle, I think?), or her lisp to be precise is cute

Mazre

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

It's finally here! Initial impression is that it looks great though the camera distance feels like it's super close. It's a little jarring coming from DQ4 and 6 playtime earlier in the week.

Edit:

Also, that feeling everytime you get to a new town and go looking for barrels and pots to smash:
1163740.jpg

Pumped to play this tonight! Despite it's flaws the original DQ VII is one of my favorite games. A very emotional and rewarding experience.

Question - one of the things I disliked about the original is "broken skills", as in a few class based skills you can learn that put the game on easy mode - Sword Dance and Stampede I'm looking at you. Have they been appropriately nerfed in this version?

Kinsei

Banned
The opening has been really nice so far. I haven't fought anything yet (I think I'm about to head into the forbidden place) but the writing has kept me entertained. Based on what I'd heard I was expecting another Twilight Princess situation where the opening was nearly unbearable. I'm glad that's not the case.

Yeah, and adding to that all the narrative text in the info menu. And all the party chat.

It's a bit immersion breaking to have all these unique lines of dialogue, varied accents, and then the same NPC models running around every single town. I've seen the old man and that chubby little kid a dozen times by now.

Especially weird since the game has an incredible amount of detailed monster designs, but NPCs coming out of a clone factory.

About every DQ has the same NPCs.

Oregano

Just had to come off the game for a bit because my 3DS was about to die.

Really enjoying the game, I played the original a bit back in the day on my brother's friends PS1(he imported) so I vaguely remember bits. Nice to finally have this in Europe!

Finally snagged a copy. Anecdotally the physical release seems super limited. I had to try 4 stores on the way home from work and I got the last copy at the forth one (Toronto).

SuperSah

Banned
That first island/vignette was really good. I didn't suspect
Maeve was behind the town's turmoil.
Though I've not progressed since that point since I need a break so hey, it may not yet be over.

I'm really enjoying this so far. It's just excellent and the localisation was done with such care and attention. It's remarkable.

I must say, I'm impressed that they seem to have mostly negated the crazy strong magnetic attraction power of stairs. I think I've only had a rebound stair trip two or three times so far and I'm at
L'Arca

I like the Travelers Tablets as well. I need to figure out a better way of gauging their strength though.

Does anyone know if you can recruit monsters in the past? I've been nabbing them in their dungeons so far, haven't had any luck in the past yet. Monster-specific dungeons are a good way to pick up Hearts as well. I've also been using the item in combat, I'm not sure if you have to do that or not.

Varna

I doubt you've gotten very far in a DQ game. DQ games are generally for all ages but still have a lot of difficulty spikes that require some careful planning and resource management. DQ7 in particular has a lot of spikes. They're definitely not sleep inducing. You cannot beat a DQ just pressing attack.

I've played through V, VIII and IX and none ever came close to anything vaguely resembling the management of anything. But you have answer my question. Thank you.

I do think this is one area that Dragon Quest games could really improve upon. It's nice seeing the same NPCs, especially shopkeepers and innkeepers as it's another visual cue to know what their purpose is, but even just a palette swap for different regions/towns/environments would be a nice change.

I do think this is one area that Dragon Quest games could really improve upon. It's nice seeing the same NPCs, especially shopkeepers and innkeepers as it's another visual cue to know what their purpose is, but even just a palette swap for different regions/towns/environments would be a nice change.

I agree. But to be fair, npcs are definitely swapped around in say, VIII, for instance. Pickham's npcs are mostly different from Baccarat's. And V's fairy place has different npcs too.

AmyS

The only reason I wish I went physical instead of digital since I have IV/V/VI and IX. Maybe I will pick up a physical copy later... =) For now though I will just be happy to be playing it at all.

I wasn't going to download DQVII. I find that even relatively small games take a long time to d/l on 3DS, even with 50 mbps downstream speed. I would not have had enough storage space left anyway.

This is the Dragon Quest that party chat originated in.

Btw... I really like dragon quest.
ca6V8wG.jpg

Love that 3x support :)

SE and Nintendo, please bring us in NA & EU:

2912278-2912251-9804334344-6jfg1.gif

By 2018.

In addition to the PS4 and NX versions, of course.

KingBroly

Banned
A new*, real Dragon Quest game. It makes me so happy.

This game looks SO much better than DQ9. Remake, please. ^_^

I'm only a couple of hours in and I'm really enjoying the world building so far.

zbarron

Also, someone messed up Weak 3D and Strong 3D settings, they're the opposite.
My best guess is those are the "recommended settings" based on if you have the slider on max vs about midway. Midway-ish on strong is about the equivalent of weak on the slider all the way up.
played a bit, beautiful game.

going with 3d off i thnk, 3d makes smaller details like your characters face hard to see.
I think the 3D looks amazing on the over world and I prefer the 3D off and added AA in smaller scenes.
Yeah but my favorite one sure looks different in this game.
dragon_quest_swords_sqyafm.jpg

VS
maskblapg.jpg

SuperSah

Banned
I cannot stop singing my praises for this game. I've been looking for good RPGs for a long time. Bravely Default just wasn't cutting it anymore and Xenoblade 3D played like hot trash. Finally, this comes along.

I've said it before, but the 'story so far' option makes the game feel like a novel playing out. I read it in one of those voices you hear for a 'next time on..' at the end of an anime episode or something. :p

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Enjoying this so far. As a European I was deprived DQ until VIII and when I previously attempted to play it on PSP it gave me motion sickness, but I have to say I am impressed. I don't think it will hold up to IV, which is RPG perfection imo, but I hope it surprises me!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got home with my copy an a full charged 3DS! Let's do this!

Sad theres no instruction manual but I guess thats ta be expected.

Finally snagged a copy. Anecdotally the physical release seems super limited. I had to try 4 stores on the way home from work and I got the last copy at the forth one (Toronto).

Where were you? I managed to get a copy at the Yonge-Dundas Best Buy and they had stacks of them. Avoided EB Games at Eaton Center because it looked like they weren't having them on display. Bought the game at around 1:00pm.

Top Bottom