• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Wow, Haven is completely different from the original game. From what I read it seems linear now, no five different final forms to unlock. Nice in the sense it is less tedious. So are the immigrants fixed now? That is what it feels like.

So monster hearts start dropping now. Already have two slime hearts.

Kinsei

Banned
Personally I really like the accents. They really sell the idea of you being on a big adventure visiting many different places all over the world.

Tiu Neo

Dialac was my favorite part of the original game. I was assuming since I didn't hear anyone saying anything about it that they did gut it and it's nowhere near as good.

Played only the 3DS version, I thought it was good. Then I searched for the original version, and yeah, it was way better before.

Still good and touching, but they did downgrade it a lot.

Gotta point out that the battle backgrounds all look really nice! Baddies kinda look odd / outta place but its a fun touch that they have flee animations now. Can't wait to see what the Metal Slimes fleeing looks like >.>

Does party chat start returning at full force at some point? Still getting very little unique dialogue per person spoken to.
IIRC, you don't get as much unique party talk as in the DS games. I think in those ones, you pretty much got new lines for every NPC spoken to, but in this one it looks like it's only when a new event is happening or when you arrive at a new destination. Sometimes the party will react to NPC dialogue, but it's less frequent. Makes checking for new party dialogue a bit of a chore, since they just repeat what they just said, or they just say "..."

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
IIRC, you don't get as much unique party talk as in the DS games. I think in those ones, you pretty much got new lines for every NPC spoken to, but in this one it looks like it's only when a new event is happening or when you arrive at a new destination. Sometimes the party will react to NPC dialogue, but it's less frequent. Makes checking for new party dialogue a bit of a chore, since they just repeat what they just said, or they just say "..."
Well that seals it. I'ma not gonna bother with party chat then. Fishing for unique lines in a sea of repeat text isn't gonna be any fun!

Game definitely has gotten it's hooks in me.

Just finished balleymolloy and can't wait to start the next section.

Finally have the rest of the weekend to dig into the game, I want to unlock Monster Meadow and the Streetpass features as soon as I can.

Dragon Quest IV DS - Brand new copy for only $24:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272071858448

Dragon Quest V DS - Brand new copy for only $27:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201654014508

Up until last winter when the SE online store sold off a bunch of new copies, used copies of IV and V would average $45, new copies would go for over $60, it's never been easier to own both at very reasonable prices. Better to buy now before prices go up, same for other DS games, only a matter of time before collectors ruin the market.

I don't think Collectors ruin the market. I can see the argument that resellers ruin it by driving up prices but most collectors, like myself, just want to own the games they like. I don't see how that alone would ruin the market.

Reknoc

I can't tell if Emberdale is supposed to be a reference, the accent is Yorkshire so it fits, but it'd be such an obscure thing to reference.

scarlet

The treasure chest at the cliff next to estard is that something we supposed to get later in the game or I can get it early?

Eusis

Dialac was my favorite part of the original game. I was assuming since I didn't hear anyone saying anything about it that they did gut it and it's nowhere near as good.
Had to double check on what Dialac was.

Yeah, what the fuck? That was one of those towns that stood out the most in my memory. Did people complain a ton about it or something?

Arkeband

Banned
I'm trying to find the next immigrant for Haven and they said he's apparently in Emberdale as a cook - I vaguely remember an NPC asking if I know of a nice place to go and then he stormed out of the house saying he was going to the hot springs or something, but that was before I unlocked Haven. Anyone know where the heck this dude is?

Finally had some time to dig into this today.

Man, I forgot how much I love this game. The first vignette, though, ouch, I can only imagine a
world without women ��

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm of the camp that the 3DS version is better than the PS1 original in every way except the music. The PS1 music is way better than both the Japanese or U.S. 3DS tunes.

Particularly the battle theme , it had a lot more power to it on PS1.

https://youtu.be/w6CkFsgAEwY

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh mans I just remembered that DQ9 had an "Important Items" spot outside the bag. It also didn't toss weapons/gear into the bag but instead kept 'em nicely organized in equip menus.

Change happened. Then it unhappened... Horii plz.

R0ckman

How does taming cannibox work? Do I save at a box and reset or do they respawn? I like the monster and dont want to miss out.

Lynx_7

I'm of the camp that the 3DS version is better than the PS1 original in every way except the music. The PS1 music is way better than both the Japanese or U.S. 3DS tunes.

Particularly the battle theme , it had a lot more power to it on PS1.

https://youtu.be/w6CkFsgAEwY

I don't think it has more power, but it has a very different vibe to its orchestral/new midi remixes because of the slower tempo. Listening to it now I guess I also prefer the ps1 version of that specific track a bit more. Would need to listen to the others to say which ost is better in general though.

DQ VI's battle theme is another case where I find the original SNES version better than any of its orchestral performances or DS/android remixes. It has this mysterious, jazzy vibe that no other version recaptures quite as well.

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't think it has more power, but it has a very different vibe to its orchestral/new midi remixes because of the slower tempo. Listening to it now I guess I also prefer the ps1 version of that specific track a bit more. Would need to listen to the others to say which ost is better in general though.

DQ VI's battle theme is another case where I find the original SNES version better than any of its orchestral performances or DS/android remixes. It has this mysterious, jazzy vibe that no other version recaptures quite as well.
I always thought DQVI was a downgrade top to bottom when it was ported to DS. The SNES version had sprites and tile sets that were on par with Final Fantasy VI and cool mode 7 effects as well. I would have just preferred a straight port with an official English translation.

I always thought DQVI was a downgrade top to bottom when it was ported to DS. The SNES version had sprites and tile sets that were on par with Final Fantasy VI and cool mode 7 effects as well. I would have just preferred a straight port with an official English translation.

Kinda off-topic, but is the SNES version overall a better way to play it, or is it just aesthetics that are superior? Not sure when I'll get around to VI, but I haven't really heard much about which version is better.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (Unsaved data may be lost.)"

??????

Guess I'll be going through that Volcano a third time...

This happened while trying starting ta save my game at the
stone people island

Zee-Row

Banned
Kinda off-topic, but is the SNES version overall a better way to play it, or is it just aesthetics that are superior? Not sure when I'll get around to VI, but I haven't really heard much about which version is better.

Not really because every fan translation I've played of the SNES version was always incomplete in some way with its text and used the original Enix translations for spell and enemy names . I think the DS version had some extra endgame stuff after you beat it.

Lynx_7

A Chrono Trigger-esque DS port would've been nice, I agree, but I guess they wanted the zenithian remakes to remain consistent. A bit too consistent if you ask me, reusing the same npcs and environments throughout all 3 games just seems kinda lazy to me, but oh well.

Aeana is a big advocate for the SNES version being better all around. I wanted to go with that one but the english patch is incomplete and has what sounds like some annoying bugs, and I really don't wanna deal with that. Guess it's time to start looking for japanese classes :p

ZeroX03

Banned
I finally got up to battles! The first dungeon is an actual dungeon, with puzzles!

From what little I've played of this versus IX, I certainly like this more.

Arkeband

Banned
Not really because every fan translation I've played of the SNES version was always incomplete in some way with its text and used the original Enix translations for spell and enemy names . I think the DS version had some extra endgame stuff after you beat it.

Original Enix spell and enemy names are the best, though. Babbles and Madante all the way, baby.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
"A corrupted adventure log has been deleted."

So because my system randomly crashed while I was saving my game I have ta start it all over from scratch? Losing over 6 hours of progress (according to my Activity Log)?

An people in a recent DQ thread were like "ya shouldn't be saving frequently or making a backup save in an extra slot!". An for once I listened to 'em. An now I gotta go through the intro all over again, plus of course the first two islands. -_-

Gonna be going through the slowwwwww game saving procedure twice as much now because I'm gonna be keeping 2 active saves. DQs long winded method of game saving sure is charming, isn't it?

watershed

Banned
A couple of observations:

The enemy models in battle are really good. Their animations make them almost as lively as the enemies in Yokai Watch.

Have the devs increased the drop rate of "seed of _________" items to make the game easier? Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to be getting a lot more of these than in past DQ games.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

So because my system randomly crashed while I was saving my game I have ta start it all over from scratch? Losing over 6 hours of progress (according to my Activity Log)?

An people in a recent DQ thread were like "ya shouldn't be saving frequently or making a backup save in an extra slot!". An for once I listened to 'em. An now I gotta go through the intro all over again, plus of course the first two islands. -_-

Gonna be going through the slowwwwww game saving procedure twice as much now because I'm gonna be keeping 2 active saves. DQs long winded method of game saving sure is charming, isn't it?

Hang on, who was saying that? At the very least, using the quick save slot (effectively a 4th save slot unless you die) is a good idea. Sorry to hear that, but you could have used all 4 slots just in case.

Thanks for reminding me that I really should use all 4....

Aeana

I don't know why anybody would tell you not to follow a standard practice that anybody playing video games should be following period. You don't have to save twice, just rotate which slot you save in. I go 1-2-3-1-2-3... I do that in literally any game that lets me pick save slots. The saving method doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Arkeband

Banned
I've never had that happen to me in 20+ years of Dragon Questing, so the game crashed while saving and corrupted your save file? If this happens to anyone else I might have to use the other save files too.

Aeana

Where the hell are my tamed monsters in monster meadows? My grassland is empty despite recruiting a handful of monsters

You can't do anything with that until later in the game when you get someone to manage the monster meadows. Your monsters you've recruited aren't going into the void though.

selo

"An error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The system will now restart. (Unsaved data may be lost.)"

Are you playing no mans sky? :p

Huh.. guess I should start saving in the other slots, I've been exclusively using slot 1 and autosaves o-o.

Currently on Island 4-5 (?)
The one where people are being invaded by automatas

I love the fact that island stories are diverse so far :D

selo

Who the hell talks to animal?

Heh, I didnt remember this either, but if you talk to the party, I think they told me

little dwarf guy that lives west of your starting town and south of keifers castle (forgot towns name)

This game is so good. It feels great to play a translated version in English. Shame I will have to put it in the back-burner because of work, for a while at least. It's just the DQ that best captures what I really love about the series.

The thing that worried me the most -- the music -- is actually pretty good when just playing. It's nowhere near the quality of the orchestral in the Japanese version but it's far better than what we got on PS1. I do think the menu lag is a bit annoying though. And playing in 3D is better for me, as is almost always the case with 3DS games.

Bitanator

Damn you people for enjoying it already, I really need to pass this math exam on Friday and I know I would not study playing DQ VII. Going to pick that shit up though and blaze my next weekend away with it.

Glad people are enjoying it, some towns are absolutely amazing with the scenes and towns people, party chat makes the game even more lively, be sure to abuse that

Jobbs

Banned
I can't wait to read your thoughts on it because you hated 9.

Hate's a strong word but I wasn't totally happy with it.

Dragon Quest 8 is one of my favorite games of all time, and having the successor to it be some janky ass NDS game was a little disappointing. If I'm not feeling the presentation it's always a significant factor. There were some other criticisms too but I'm having trouble remembering the game in detail right now.

Thankfully the presentation in DQ7 is really working for me.

Top Bottom