• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

I have a bit of an issue.

I bought 3 copies. One for myself. One for my father. One for my nephew. I'm going to give my nephew his copy when my parents go to visit him next month.

The copy for my father... Well, he owns a 3DS but he doesn't play it very much. I bought him Fire Emblem for it and he hasn't touched it. I bought his copy out of impulse, but i'm worried that the same fate would be in store for it.

In my DND group, two of my players have 3DSes. I was considering giving one of them the copy, but I'm not sure they'd really like it. Plus it's a little weird giving a present like that for no reason.

Would you guys recommend this for someone who liked DQV (was never able to get a copy of VI)? My only DQ have been V,IV and IX.

The only DQs I can't wholeheartedly recommend are I and II. I enjoy both games, but well... They've shown their age harder than every other game in the series. I feel every other game in the series is timeless. So yes, I would recommend this game to someone to DQV.

This is my personal favorite in the series, gripes aside regarding some elements that were changed for the worse (but I suppose ultimately don't matter too much... just slightly disappointing). The PS1 version was a very good game, and this is a very good update. This game has the strongest main cast in terms of personalities (though I think V's hero's journey is more emotional). The mystery surrounding the game is on point, and so are the adventures the main characters face.

Aeana

aww just beat the first island. my theory was so cool :(

doesn't everyone grind till they can buy all the new equipment every time they get to a new shop? i thought that was standard. i even extra grind afterwards to make sure i have a nice little nest egg for the next round.

No, that's very unnecessary. Especially once you're into the mid-game, new equipment isn't always an upgrade. The additional effects like fire/ice defense or breath defense are more important than regular defense, especially. Plus, equipment from one town to the next tends to be fairly incremental in the later games in the series, especially 7.

Yeah, they're awful. :(

I've noticed that the remake is a bit easier than the original game so I'm trying to avoid most battles so I can keep my party at a low level. The game is a lot more fun this way.

I'm actually not minding them in this game. Now, keep in mind I have only been as far as Embervale, but they aren't as ridiculous to the point of being distracting like they were in DQIV DS.

I haven't been a fan of the localizations style, but VII has been pretty good.

Just got back from the first visit to the Shrine of Mysteries. Wow, the music in the field outside Estard is soooooo good, I can't stop listening to it, MIDI complaints are so overblown. Also find it really funny that the king actually does look like Donald Sutherland, lol

Arkeband

Banned
It's amazing how much using CFW to force the New 3DS's extra CPU power helps the menu slowdowns. I wonder why it slows down to begin with, the Japanese version was so much snappier.

I really wish Nintendo would support this officially especially if it doesn't cause problems. This game would dramatically benefit from a N3DS patch.

I think what they did to Dialac/Regansten was worse than what they did to the temple... jeez. Way to gut one of the franchises high points.

I think what they did to Dialac/Regansten was worse than what they did to the temple... jeez. Way to gut one of the franchises high points.

What did they do? I absolutely loved Dialac in the original.

Using Luma, it's a setting you just turn on in the CFW itself. The settings menu is accessed by holding select when it boots. I set it to use the CPU and the extra L2 cache and it works great with the game.

oh perfect, thanks! I'll do that next time I play.

Lothar

Banned

Dialac was my favorite part of the original game. I was assuming since I didn't hear anyone saying anything about it that they did gut it and it's nowhere near as good.

scarlet

1st boss question

I used the wooden doll and didn't get any exp. Was that supposed to be like that?

Holy shit there was a healing spot in the dungeon....

Would have saved me 10 years...

And Zaffir, the beginning of the game is slow on purpose. It keeps getting better and better.

How/where? In every dungeon?

Lynx_7

Yeah, I've read about this before and it bums me out to see others confirm it. What did they change exactly?
Guess someday I'll need to go back to the original regardless to experience some sections as intended. Maybe after I'm done with the whole franchise (so basically VI and IX after I beat this one)

Slaythe

1st boss question

I used the wooden doll and didn't get any exp. Was that supposed to be like that?

How/where? In every dungeon?

Woah you could do that ?
I did it the normal way and got exp. nice touch.

The second dungeon. Haven't seen a healing spot again but I also found the frist one randomly.

scarlet

Woah you could do that ?
I did it the normal way and got exp. nice touch.

The second dungeon. Haven't seen a healing spot again but I also found the frist one randomly.

Kinda regret using that. I'm still level 7 lol.

Second dungeon is the tower?

What an adventure. Accidentally got lost in the volcano. Enemy spawned and ambushed on some stairs, killing Maribel. "Fuck." I push on. My guys are level 8 and I'm not sure if I can beat the boss without a third member for extra damage. He was cake. Didn't think I was gonna last.

steveovig

Is Amazon shipping non pre-order copies now? I want to buy it with the Prime discount and it says it won't begin shipping until October, at least. Has this been addressed here at all?

Is it bad I found the stoned village more enjoyable due to the German language?
No, I remember one of the DQ games having a Brazilian town, and some of the people living in there would speak words in Portuguese, lol.

I'm glad to hear this
I agree with him, I'm playing in 3D all the time, some rough edges here and there, but the game looks a lot brighter and sharper in 3D, the effect is on point too.

I'm really confused right now, I just bought a download code for this game from Amazon, but when I try to redeem the code it just says "This content is not currently being distributed."

gblues

Banned
Dialac was my favorite part of the original game. I was assuming since I didn't hear anyone saying anything about it that they did gut it and it's nowhere near as good.

The new version is less frustrating to figure out how to solve, but
they cut most of the statue flashbacks that told the town's story. It was a pretty big downgrade.

Slaythe

Asking again, any way to remove party members ? Like if I want a two characters team ?

@Arched Make sure the Amazon code is for the region of your eshop account. Nintendo can be garbage when it comes to region.

Some of the dialogue in the game is so funny.

Soldier: "I need to get home, my wife just had a baby....or was it two?"

After the first Slime battle Maribel complains about monsters, Kiefer: "Those are monsters?" Haha

Have Maeve in my party, am loving being able to pick and choose my battles in the field, game is really hitting its stride now.

Aeana

Asking again, any way to remove party members ? Like if I want a two characters team ?

@Arched Make sure the Amazon code is for the region of your eshop account. Nintendo can be garbage when it comes to region.

You can't edit your party at all until you have more members than will fit in the group. If you want to limit your party, just kill off the ones you don't want.

Just started... intro isn't bothering me at all as I'm actually able to move around, talk, explore, shop, etc. People were making it out to be a slog but I'm finding it to not be the case. I'm sure it picks up more after a while, but this isn't nearly as droning as say Persona 4.

rpmurphy

14 hours on the game clock and at the mech island. First time playing this one in the mainline games and it's been a blast so far, talking with everyone with the party chat. I haven't yet had to grind nor have I yet been short of gold to buy armor and weapon upgrades as needed since the encounter rate on the dungeons so far has been surprisingly high that I don't remember it being the case in any other DQ game.

Someday I'll try getting my hands on the PS1 game and seeing what the intro content was about since in this game what was left felt incomplete.

One question though, since
time travel
mechanic is the main thing in this game, are there anything like I should leave certain treasure chests untouched for later, or should I feel free to ransack everything all the time?

Aeana

14 hours on the game clock and at the mech island. First time playing this one in the mainline games and it's been a blast so far, talking with everyone with the party chat. I haven't yet had to grind nor have I yet been short of gold to buy armor and weapon upgrades as needed since the encounter rate on the dungeons so far has been surprisingly high that I don't remember it being the case in any other DQ game.

Someday I'll try getting my hands on the PS1 game and seeing what the intro content was about since in this game what was left felt incomplete.

One question though, since
time travel
mechanic is the main thing in this game, are there anything like I should leave certain treasure chests untouched for later, or should I feel free to ransack everything all the time?
Don't worry about chests, they're independent.

Mr. RPG

I'm actually not minding them in this game. Now, keep in mind I have only been as far as Embervale, but they aren't as ridiculous to the point of being distracting like they were in DQIV DS.

I haven't been a fan of the localizations style, but VII has been pretty good.

The remake's localization isn't that great.

They changed a lot of names to be based off of popular culture or puns in the remake. For the original game, Enix opted for a direct translation when they brought it over to the west. I prefer the original English translation because it was very close to the Japanese game.

I was hoping that they would have changed their localization style this time around, but they didn't. :(

Ugh, I'm not there yet. :( I really hope it isn't that bad.

Just got back from the first visit to the Shrine of Mysteries. Wow, the music in the field outside Estard is soooooo good, I can't stop listening to it, MIDI complaints are so overblown. Also find it really funny that the king actually does look like Donald Sutherland, lol

No way. Even the PlayStation soundtrack sounds much better.

Yeah, I've read about this before and it bums me out to see others confirm it. What did they change exactly?
Guess someday I'll need to go back to the original regardless to experience some sections as intended. Maybe after I'm done with the whole franchise (so basically VI and IX after I beat this one)

You definitely should. :)

Aeana

As a major critic of the names used in previous DQ localizations, they're not that bad at all in this one. Some have been left the same, and very few are of the style that really bugs me where they pick the name based on the event that's going on there at the time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gotta point out that the battle backgrounds all look really nice! Baddies kinda look odd / outta place but its a fun touch that they have flee animations now. Can't wait to see what the Metal Slimes fleeing looks like >.>

Does party chat start returning at full force at some point? Still getting very little unique dialogue per person spoken to.

rpmurphy

Don't worry about chests, they're independent.
Cool, thanks!

Some of the dialogue in the game is so funny.

Soldier: "I need to get home, why wife just had a baby....or was it two?"

After the first Slime battle Maribel complains about monsters, Kiefer: "Those are monsters?" Haha

Have Meave in my party, am loving being able to pick and choose my battles in the field, game is really hitting its stride now.
Yeah, the NPC dialogue in this game great. It makes me sad when I accidentally trigger an event scene and I realize that there was someone else I wanted to talk to but now missed my chance to get that piece of dialogue, and my last save is too far back. :(

The remake's localization isn't that great.

They changed a lot of names to be based off of popular culture or puns in the remake. For the original game, Enix opted for a direct translation when they brought it over to the west. I prefer the original English translation because it was very close to the Japanese game.

I was hoping that they would have changed their localization style this time around, but they didn't. :(
)

You don't need to tell me that. I've been a fan for 20 or so years. I've also been fairly vocal about some of the stuff they've done since rocket slime. But compared to some of the stuff they've pulled with DQIV, and DQIX, this isn't that bad. I'd say this is about as good as VI DS, which I was okay with as well.

As a major critic of the names used in previous DQ localizations, they're not that bad at all in this one. Some have been left the same, and very few are of the style that really bugs me where they pick the name based on the event that's going on there at the time.

The mayor of the town that holds the Festival of Flames is called Gaffer...

Top Bottom