• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

redcrayon

I've just reached the Abbey. Finding the game really refreshing, the lighthearted adventuring mixed with the occasional downbeat vignette is just what I needed in an rpg. I quite like the pacing of it.

javadoze

Finally finished El Cielo. Not to say that the scenario itself took awhile, but
resolving all of the extra stuff afterwards with the architect, Green Thumb Gardens, and Wilted Heart took me a long time. I even had to look through a guide to see if I was truly finished when you show Carraway Lavender's grave.

Now I'm having my hero become a KingFuchsia, Maribel a HealSlime (extremely good spells to learn), and Ruff doing some more basic physical vocations.

Eusis

It's not much easier at all. People just seem to have an illusion of the original's difficulty, to be honest.
We also got a lot more DQ games officially brought out since. For people who didn't play through the S/NES games it might have been tough to play, whereas people honed on DQVIII/IX and DQIV-VI are more familiar with what works best in DQ.

Never mind a decade plus of additional JRPG experience.

ghibli99

It's not much easier at all. People just seem to have an illusion of the original's difficulty, to be honest.
Yeah, I almost got wiped out by an early ocean encounter. LOL I'm curious to see what the
Gracos
fight is like this time around. Guess it's not going to be apples to apples since I know how to better prepare this time, but still.

They made this version alot easier

I'm kind of of two minds on this.

On the one hand, having finished my nth replay of the original only a few months ago, I breezed right through that with about as much difficulty as with the remake.

On the other hand there are obvious parts that are easier in the remake, like class levels coming way faster, which makes it easier to get say FullHeal or Revive faster. But overall this is a pretty minor change... doesn't help the early game at all, doesn't really help the parts where party members change so much, doesn't make a big difference late in the game... really only serves to prevent people from grinding too much.

Maybe it's a psychological difference. Feeling like you need to grind for class levels makes a game feel hard. Or just having visible enemies and the option to run away does a lot to make things seem easier. Even if you can't always get away, being able to see the enemies might make you feel more in control of the situation.

Or maybe it's just that most of our first experience with the original was a long time ago when we weren't as good at playing RPGs or DQ games in particular. I know that I had a lot of trouble playing this game when I was 12. I don't even think I knew about "sap" back then though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I'm missing something here...
I just got the monster cookies, which should let me befriend monsters. The first battle after it, a Sea Lips appeared after battle, I thought I got him with me. Then I went to the place where they should be, and the monster is nowhere to be seen, even the old man there says I haven't found any monsters yet.

After that. no monster has appeared after battle. Yeah, don't know how I screwed up.

You need to find blueprints to build areas for the monsters to live in. Just keep playing and you will find them.

Eusis

Another thing is that for those of us who played it when it originally hit... we probably didn't touch AI (and if the original worked the same way it really didn't help that Maribel made it a top priority to burn out her MP on Fight Wisely in the early game) and underestimated status ailments and instant death attacks as those usually are shit in JRPGs (though I'm starting to wonder if at least status ailments are underestimated period.) Knowing those are not only useful but can mean the difference between life and death, or at least a grueling slog or a breeze, changes everything.

Seems like an impressive remake after playing for several hours. People weren't kidding about the trimming down of the intro though. Yikes. I had the PS1 version in my mind since I played it a couple months ago and was amazed just how much was cut. The "puzzle" involving the four pieces of gear was super redundant especially when the answer is pretty much spelled out for you. But I am kinda glad since I would often get stuck on how to follow the sequence of events in the intro and would have to use gamefaqs.

Anyway, it's probably the nicest looking DQ I have played. The enemies pop nicely and have a solid look to them. The 3D effect is damn good too. Also I love all the little details in the game world such as having a couple squirrels crawl up a tree. There is a grit and texture to the world that feels fresh to me in VII 3DS compared to the other DQ titles I've played (which are pleasant worlds, but can feel sorta plain at times imo). It's one of the nicest looking 3DS rpgs I have played and I was thrilled to first walk around the world map. Not sure about having enemies on screen compared to random. In narrow areas it can feel annoying at times, at least from the first dungeon.

A con might be that camera is zoomed in a bit close. Every once in a while the camera zooms out during a cutscene and makes me wish I could do that in-game like in original VII iirc.

So far so good. It is a particularly fresh DQ game from what I have played so far. I can tell a lot of love went into this. It makes me glad that VIII is coming too since I will have IV-IX all on one system. Now if only they would release the GBC versions of DQ 1-3.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Another thing is that for those of us who played it when it originally hit... we probably didn't touch AI (and if the original worked the same way it really didn't help that Maribel made it a top priority to burn out her MP on Fight Wisely in the early game) and underestimated status ailments and instant death attacks as those usually are shit in JRPGs (though I'm starting to wonder if at least status ailments are underestimated period.) Knowing those are not only useful but can mean the difference between life and death, or at least a grueling slog or a breeze, changes everything.

Blame square for this :p In most other rpg brands those are potent

I'm kind of of two minds on this.

On the one hand, having finished my nth replay of the original only a few months ago, I breezed right through that with about as much difficulty as with the remake.

On the other hand there are obvious parts that are easier in the remake, like class levels coming way faster, which makes it easier to get say FullHeal or Revive faster. But overall this is a pretty minor change... doesn't help the early game at all, doesn't really help the parts where party members change so much, doesn't make a big difference late in the game... really only serves to prevent people from grinding too much.

Maybe it's a psychological difference. Feeling like you need to grind for class levels makes a game feel hard. Or just having visible enemies and the option to run away does a lot to make things seem easier. Even if you can't always get away, being able to see the enemies might make you feel more in control of the situation.

Or maybe it's just that most of our first experience with the original was a long time ago when we weren't as good at playing RPGs or DQ games in particular. I know that I had a lot of trouble playing this game when I was 12. I don't even think I knew about "sap" back then though.

The increased exp and the fact that you'll get into more encounters than the PS1 version generally results in you being nearly 2-3 levels higher than the PS1 version on average. That can make a huge difference, especially in the early game. The difference in difficulty is pretty obvious.

Also with the job requirements and low encounter rate of the PS1 version, last time I played it I didn't even make it to a 3rd tier job by the time I got to the final dungeon, and and at which point I was only level 30. It's a far cry from the 3DS version where I had the main character entering the Hero class by that point and I think I was nearly level 34

MoonFrog

My R-shoulder button I thought was broken but mysteriously it comes back to life every now and then.

EDIT:

uh-huh....
WVW69jpq1MwRo4VxL7

WVW69jpqy3MvSvANgR

I posted that too late at night; didn't even draw out the goo in good or throw in a slime instead of time.

But I needed respite from the nth verb synopsis.

Still Metal Slimes are wonderful creatures and there is a certain joy to their being as they dodge attacks, take only glancing blows, and run away just as you're about to get them. All while smiling. They're very playful.

The secret to metal slimes is hatchet man, my friend. Also, for some reason they seem to stick around longer if some members defend for the turn, but that could just be a fluke of my experience.

Man... that Sleep move that Shepards learn which targets all enemies is so good! Seems to have a really high accuracy, even sleeps metal slimes

Daouzin

Man... that Sleep move that Shepards learn which targets all enemies is so good! Seems to have a really high accuracy, even sleeps metal slimes

Trying really hard to not make Gabo/Ruff into a shepard like I always do, but THIS ISN'T HELPING. Haha

Edge boomerang x 2 = easy mode

Yeah, that's what I'm running right now. I feel hella broken.

Welp, just had my first death ~15 hours in, against
Slaughtomaton. Boss battles directly after a previous boss battle are my least favorite thing.

I've played this game 3 times now, including this run, so maybe that's it, but I haven't had any issues so far. The game has been a cake walk and I've done zero grinding. I did go to the slime tablet once, just to see what that was about.

I wonder what I'm doing subconsciously to make the game easier. Seems like a few people died to the Slaughtomaton.

I've just reached the Abbey. Finding the game really refreshing, the lighthearted adventuring mixed with the occasional downbeat vignette is just what I needed in an rpg. I quite like the pacing of it.

Yeah, the pacing is what I love most about this game. It's no surprise replaying this that I have huge love for One Piece. I feel like that's the anime version of this game.

I'm loving the activity in this thread. 150k views too.

Dragon Quest its LEMONADE era is coming. Can't wait for NPD.

Same! I'm expecting NPD numbers to be massively encouraging or massively disappointing. There won't be a middle ground for me. What's a good/fair number to expect?

I'm wondering if I'm complete in the past version of Faraday.

I beat the mech at the base, got a rewards from the king, and saw the Princess and Autonymus argue with him leaving. The brother guard guy sits in the barracks, the princess is in the back of the casle, and Autonymus is back at his house.

It feels like the physical threat is resolved but still feels like there is an emotional payoff somewhere around here. Am I missing something?

Heropon

First boss that wrecks me in the area with two castles. Getting hit by sleep and being destroyed by multi target spells repeatedly sucks, I don't know how I'm doing this without spending a lot in magic resistant gear. I'm leaving this damned place.

Okay, did it at the second try thanks to the sword that casts reflect on a party member. It felt almost like cheating seeing the boss hitting people with weak hits instead of using his precious spells, haha!

Daouzin

I'm wondering if I'm complete in the past version of Faraday.

I beat the mech at the base, got a rewards from the king, and saw the Princess and Autonymus argue with him leaving. The brother guard guy sits in the barracks, the princess is in the back of the casle, and Autonymus is back at his house.

It feels like the physical threat is resolved but still feels like there is an emotional payoff somewhere around here. Am I missing something?

Go to the present. That's all there is for you in the past. This game does a good job of balancing happy endings/normal endings/bad endings. Feels like a real world to me because of that.

SuperSah

Banned
I wish you could suspend the game during boss battles. I've had to put my 3DS in sleep mode during a boss since I'd like to play later, not now.

I know closing the 3DS does the job, but I rather power it off :p

SuperSah

Banned
I'm very interested to see sales figures a week in now. I'm really hoping this has done respectable. It's a fantastic game and one which needs exposure.

Shame that due to the super text heavy and lengthy nature of the game, many may be put off. :(

Gloam

Finished up the robot scenario. I can confirm I'm not a monster. Got a little verklemmt on the train.
That last little bit of dialogue from Ellie is very touching.
Liked all the tally-ho British-isms in this scenario it was like something out of an Ealing film, which is probably the intention. Trying to mop up some of The Haven residents I've missed in the present before moving onto the next island.

One thing that I've found interesting is that the camera often sits at a side on view on the world map. I wonder if this is to reduce the pop-up effect of trees in the distance. It makes for a nice view of the running animations. I'm a big fan of Maribel's ninja style run.

So I completed the Frobisher segment before I went to work today.

Call me a jerk, but I found myself siding with King Faraday in the present. Autonymous was a prick.

Daouzin

Finished up the robot scenario. I can confirm I'm not a monster. Got a little verklemmt on the train.
That last little bit of dialogue from Ellie is very touching.
Liked all the tally-ho British-isms in this scenario it was like something out of an Ealing film, which is probably the intention. Trying to mop up some of The Haven residents I've missed in the present before moving onto the next island.

One thing that I've found interesting is that the camera often sits at a side on view on the world map. I wonder if this is to reduce the pop-up effect of trees in the distance. It makes for a nice view of the running animations. I'm a big fan of Maribel's ninja style run.

Glad you dug it.

I'm the opposite of everyone, I hate her run. It seems so weird alongside Keifer and the hero.

Worth it.

Q898Tn2.jpg

Sherpard it is! I hope you guys are happy!

I just unlocked the Abbey Island though, so it'll be a little bit before I can make it happen.

Kinsei

Banned
Any tips on beating Rashers and Stripes? :/

Give a ton of healing herbs and all of your Yggdrasil leaves to Maribel. They seem to be immune to status effects (I tried sleep, paralysis, and confusion multiple times and none of them actually hit) so the only strategy is to hit them until they die and heal when you have to.

SuperSah

Banned
Give a ton of healing herbs and all of your Yggdrasil leaves to Maribel. They seem to be immune to status effects (I tried sleep, paralysis, and confusion multiple times and none of them actually hit) so the only strategy is to hit them until they die and heal when you have to.

Where are these? I've not encountered any.

magnetic

Where are these? I've not encountered any.

From what I remember I found them in random chests and pots during the game. They revive with full health, so they're super valuable at this point.

Make sure to make a quick save before the boss room, so that you can use that save with all your items again in case you die. I wouldn't have made it without being able to revive.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Cannibox
Urnexpected
Scarewell
and now Grimoire
DQ keeps increasing its ways ta make ya paranoid e.e;

On another note whats with the Monster Meadows? How do I get/make my own tablet? Wheres all the monsters I've caught so far?

Kinsei

Banned
Cannibox
Urnexpected
Scarewell
and now Grimoire
DQ keeps increasing its ways ta make ya paranoid e.e;

On another note whats with the Monster Meadows? How do I get/make my own tablet? Wheres all the monsters I've caught so far?

I think you need to restore the island that the meadows are on. I assume it's that glowing dot in the middle of the ocean.

SuperSah

Banned
From what I remember I found them in random chests and pots during the game. They revive with full health, so they're super valuable at this point.

They revive you. I think I found three in chests by that point. I know there's at least one in the dungeon.

I've seen 0 the whole game, lol.

Also, since my powers are gone I can't even go back to the present to get my money to buy some powerful weapons. I'd have to go through the whole dungeons again and that is pretty long :/

magnetic

I've seen 0 the whole game, lol.

Also, since my powers are gone I can't even go back to the present to get my money to buy some powerful weapons. I'd have to go through the whole dungeons again and that is pretty long :/

Yeah, I was really surprised what a dick this game is at that point.

I weirdly enjoyed it, though, because I was kinda running on autopilot up to this point.

But those two definitely gave me Shin Megami Tensei flashbacks! You should be able to do it without them, though, sometimes you just have bad luck with what moves they do.

Oh, and also - remember that you can DEFEND at any point, especially when a character gets critically low! I guess that's an option we barely use in RPGs anyone, but it saved my ass a couple of times.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think you need to restore the island that the meadows are on. I assume it's that glowing dot in the middle of the ocean.
Oh there's a past version of that place? Guess thats still a ways off then cause I haven't been there yet. Strange that they let you into the present version super early when it'll be a long time until ya can make use of it.

Top Bottom