• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Kinsei

Banned
I'm hearing that it's easier to master all the classes if you start at a lower lvl. I'm already level 10 before the first past island boss.. Am I already kind of screwed?

Nope. The tablet dungeons don't seem to have a level cap for job exp so you can just grind them out in the slime forest.

You must really love grinding, why would you do that?

Like you said, I enjoy this kind of grinding. You are looking at the person who during their first play through of FFIX fought Griffins until I had 99 peridots, boosting Ramuh's damage to 4000/8000.

My silly goal is to have every character master every job. Not something that most people playing the game would do, but that is how I roll.

The nice thing about grinding is I can watch something on youtube/netflix/funimation/crunchyroll etc. while I grind.

Daouzin

Like you said, I enjoy this kind of grinding. You are looking at the person who during their first play through of FFIX fought Griffins until I had 99 peridots, boosting Ramuh's damage to 4000/8000.

My silly goal is to have every character master every job. Not something that most people playing the game would do, but that is how I roll.

The nice thing about grinding is I can watch something on youtube/netflix/funimation/crunchyroll etc. while I grind.

Haha fair enough.

Raw64life

Just got to the place where
I know I won't be leaving with Kiefer
. When the remake was first announced I was hoping they'd change it so that there was a way to
make him stay
. But alas.

Aeana

Just got to the place where
I know I won't be leaving with Kiefer
. When the remake was first announced I was hoping they'd change it so that there was a way to
make him stay
. But alas.

If he stayed then Aira would never be born, that would change a significant portion of the game

javadoze

So I just got to the difficulty bump boss people are talking about... G
racos.
Who I took out in my first encounter with him.

Thankfully my hero mastered the Shepard vocation beforehand and was able to use Woolly Blanket, then have Maribel (who just mastered HealSlime) use Multiheal. Sure made the fight a whole lot easier.

Same! I'm expecting NPD numbers to be massively encouraging or massively disappointing. There won't be a middle ground for me. What's a good/fair number to expect?
A quick Google search is giving me 132k for DQIX (massive push from Nintendo) and 84k for DQVIII (included FFXII demo), supposedly the two best selling DQ games in NA.

Oh and DQH bombed at 31k.

So yeah, I don't know... maybe 100k would be a great result?

Aeana

So I just got to the difficulty bump boss people are talking about... G
racos.
Who I took out in my first encounter with him.

Thankfully my hero mastered the Shepard vocation beforehand and was able to use Woolly Blanket, then have Maribel (who just mastered HealSlime) use Multiheal. Sure made the fight a whole lot easier.
Yes, wool guard/wooly blanket has always been the magic bullet for that fight.

Seil

Nope. The tablet dungeons don't seem to have a level cap for job exp so you can just grind them out in the slime forest.

I was under the impression the first couple tablets you get from NPCs, like the initial slime one, capped at 20? I haven't gone to test since my characters passed 20 but I saw that stated on numerous occasions.

Edit: I believe the Download tablets and playermade ones have no caps, though, and the NPC ones vary. So you can theoretically make your own slime tablet once you reach that point.

Man, jelling on you guys that have HealSlimes. I've fought hundreds of the things, used Monster Masher skills, items, and so on. They just won't recruit or drop Hearts.

I am probably going to devote a day to it soon... although I guess I really don't need to. I beat the game the first time with a certain prize from Mini Medals instead of a Multiheal if I recall correctly. Although my MC is currently a
Paladin with a Happy Hat from a Lucky Panel so Multiheal time is on

I couldn't play today because of extreme sleep deprivation (which has caused me to make major mistakes in the past, so I don't want to risk it), but I'm
sitting at the dungeon that marks the 'end of Disc One'
so I need to get back to it tomorrow.

Daouzin

A quick Google search is giving me 132k for DQIX (massive push from Nintendo) and 84k for DQVIII (included FFXII demo), supposedly the two best selling DQ games in NA.

Oh and DQH bombed at 31k.

So yeah, I don't know... maybe 100k would be a great result?

DQH was pretty cool, that's disappointing to hear. I also can't believe DQ VIII didn't hit at least 400k, I feel like a ton of people I know have played it.

100k would be cool, I guess, I was hoping it would be like 200k.

Seil

Man, jelling on you guys that have HealSlimes. I've fought hundreds of the things, used Monster Masher skills, items, and so on. They just won't recruit or drop Hearts.

I am probably going to devote a day to it soon... although I guess I really don't need to. I beat the game the first time with a certain prize from Mini Medals instead of a Multiheal if I recall correctly. Although my MC is currently a

I couldn't play today because of extreme sleep deprivation (which has caused me to make major mistakes in the past, so I don't want to risk it), but I'm

I haven't failed to befriend/recruit any monster after 5 Animal Magnetisms from a Monster Masher. Healslime was the first thing I randomly got though lol.

mstevens

I'm nervous about giving the permanent stat upgrades to the wrong characters. Who should get what? And along that same note, who does best what roles?

Kinsei

Banned
I was under the impression the first couple tablets you get from NPCs, like the initial slime one, capped at 20? I haven't gone to test since my characters passed 20 but I saw that stated on numerous occasions.

Edit: I believe the Download tablets and playermade ones have no caps, though, and the NPC ones vary. So you can theoretically make your own slime tablet once you reach that point.

Well crud. I hope I can max out these jobs before I level up one more time.

I'm nervous about giving the permanent stat upgrades to the wrong characters. Who should get what? And along that same note, who does best what roles?

You can pump them all into the hero or spread them out. You should probably give Maribel one or two magic seeds to raise her MP.

Not actually a spoiler but it heavily implies a spoiler. Click at your own risk.
Don't give any to Keifer.

mstevens

Well crud. I hope I can max out these jobs before I level up one more time.

You can pump them all into the hero or spread them out. You should probably give Maribel one or two magic seeds to raise her MP.

Not actually a spoiler but it heavily implies a spoiler. Click at your own risk.
Don't give any to Keifer.

Ahh okay. I like the simplicity of giving it all to the hero, but I didn't want to do that if it would totally gimp the team. Thanks!

Ydelnae

I just got past the Alltrades Abbey plot. On one hand, I'm glad that the game finally had a more complex story arc (I think it took me around 3-4 hours) and the finale was good. However, the boss was so easy compared to how tedious the dungeons and regular monster encounters were, which is my main complaint. Some design decisions made this section drag for too long.

Finally got access to jobs. I went Warrior-Mage-Sailor, I don't know if the "joke" jobs like the sheepman, clown and stuff are actually worth the time at the beginning of the game. In DQVI I tried going with them and some portions of the game became too harsh.

SuperSah

Banned
I just got past the Alltrades Abbey plot. On one hand, I'm glad that the game finally had a more complex story arc (I think it took me around 3-4 hours) and the finale was good. However, the boss was so easy compared to how tedious the dungeons and regular monster encounters were, which is my main complaint. Some design decisions made this section drag for too long.

Slowly making my way through this one. Took some time to grind for better gear.

Seil

just unlocked the job system and would like to do some grinding. could anyone recommend me a good place to do that?

Since jobs advance based on the number of battles, the slime dungeon tablet you get from the first Haven resident is great until you hit its level cap of 20. Easy, fast, low exp battles. Low exp is a plus because it extends the amount of grinding you can do.

Also, leveling a Shepherd can be handy for grinding in general since it gives you the Whistle spell to force encounters.

Edit: Since Shepherd's a base class, all of its spells are permanently unlocked. It also ranks up pretty fast, and it's needed for the Monster Masher anyway which is handy for recruiting monsters for the meadow.

I really love this game so much. First time playing it and currently at All Trades. Im a bit bitter that I used my Yggdrasil leaf on one of the unwinnable battles tho :/

My favorite vingettes by far have been the Roamers and the town with the herbs. Really got me involved in them unlike the others prior.

Seil

Not a fan of this new intro, the NPC telling you what to do when you enter the ancient ruins really kills a lot of the atmosphere.

I never played the original and I felt something was really off from the moment MC and Kiefer interacted with the statue. There've been a couple situations where I felt something was off and discovered stuff was cut/changed where I would've probably preferred the original.

Meanwhile, dungeon full of tight corridors and warp tiles seems to have been left fully in-tact =p

Edit: Though I've also taken note of and appreciate various quality of life improvements lol. Hate seeing puzzles get neutered and so on, though.

Delstius

Just lost 2 hours reloading a save because I couldn't re-enter a dungeon after completing it and I wasn't sure if I explored everything. I did miss a chest with 350 gold in it...

magnetic

I need to find the archeological site with the skull again, but no idea where that was. Does anybody remember?

About time - finally got past Rashers and Stripes. Phew, that grinding got tedious fast lol

Congrats :D it's definitely a noticeable difficulty spike.

Kaname

Regarding Maribel
does she leave you for good like Kiefer later in the game or can you get her back at some point? I read something about getting Melvyn before her departure (just got him) but don't know if it's temporary and should spec another character as a mage/healer or not.

Regarding Maribel
does she leave you for good like Kiefer later in the game or can you get her back at some point? I read something about getting Melvyn before her departure (just got him) but don't know if it's temporary and should spec another character as a mage/healer or not.

Its temporary but long enough that you should probably spec another Mage/healer in the meantime.

Heropon

They're asking me something in a town and I think it's an important decision.
In the town with the monster and plant invasion they're asking me to kill a man's worm. I think the right thing to do is sparing it because some villagers have heard some underground noises, meaning that the plant isn't as dead as they think and the worm can defend the town. On the other hand the villagers also said how big the worm is getting and maybe the town gets destroyed by it in the future.

I think I know what I have to do but I'll feel safer with some advice. ;)

They're asking me something in a town and I think it's an important decision.
In the town with the monster and plant invasion they're asking me to kill a man's worm. I think the right thing to do is sparing it because some villagers have heard some underground noises, meaning that the plant isn't as dead as they think and the worm can defend the town. On the other hand the villagers also said how big the worm is getting and maybe the town gets destroyed by it in the future.

I think I know what I have to do but I'll feel safer with some advice. ;)

Your instincts are correct.

I found a HealSlime heart in a chest, I think in
the magic carpet town.

Heropon

Your instincts are correct.

Not 100% correct because the other invaders were worms but good enough. Poor monsters, now I understand why the zoo is there in the future.

Oh, no! The worst thing that could have happened, happened.
Maribel left the party immediately after completing the "cursed" town story. This hurts more than Kiefer because she had some jobs mastered. Now I have to find another fourth character again. :( Damn you, stupid mayor.

Edit: It seems I panicked a bit too much.
Four people party again!

Karu

Decided to take it slow as I refocus a bit on my PS4-gaming right now, but all good as it will easily carry me til Pokemon releases in November - the stories till engage me to no end and I just unlocked the vocations, so yeah, incredible RPG so far.

How long do you get to Aira after getting to Mervyn ?
Mervyn isn't the catalyst for Aishe joining.
Meribel leaving is.

It isn't very long. You'll get to a point where you can
choose the order to do three different tablets around the same time Mervyn joins, one you do the third one, Meribel leaves. You can do the quest to get Aishe immediately after that happens.

Thanks for the Monster Recruiting/Heart tips, guys. I am trying to get 5 or 6 Hearts before using one so that I can level them evenly across my party, I imagine that becomes an unrealistic desire at some point. In the original, I never messed with it much because it took so long to level them up.

Grrrr. I just finished
Providence
and I don't have enough tablets to progress to the next area, and the guy at the mystery shrine is no help.

There is a fragment at
Maximo's Mansion
but I can't find it. Anybody have any idea what I might be missing here?

Top Bottom