• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

zroid

Banned
Despite you know what which happens at the end, the Roamers Encampment quest was great. I really enjoyed the story.

I love this stuff. I just reached the resolution of the love story between Carroway and Lavender, it's really well handled, with lots of incidental detail that tells you what happened if you look around for it. When you do speak to the main npcs, they keep it short and sweet, meaning that you can explore for every scrap of info if a story catches your interest, or just shrug and get on with adventuring if not. DQ handles a lot of stuff about relationships with a maturity that lots of other RPGs struggle with, particularly the concept that life in these towns moves on when the party aren't around, and they aren't the key player in every single human conflict, big or small, on the planet.
This is precisely why I love the franchise. It's really one of the best cases of less is more. The little island stories pack more nuance and depth than many RPGs that meander forever with inane dialogue. It's just that getting the full picture requires actual agency.

Is it still worth playing DQVIII ps2 btw ?

I bought it on iphone but it's garbage.

Or should I just wait for 3ds version ?
If you can get the PS2 version for cheap go for it. Just also get the 3DS version to support the series, and it has extras!

aravuus

The battles are insufferably slow iirc, but if you can handle that, I don't see why not.

I'm planning on replaying the PS2 version on an emulator after I finish VII. 2x speed in battles + high res should make exploring quite nice.

kromeo

My only complaint so far, the UI in battle is really sluggish, makes it kind of annoying when everyone is using skills. Just a minor thing though..

magnetic

I´m definitely waiting for the 3DS port, the visual downgrade is a minor gripe compared to faster battles, additional characters and portability / sleep mode.

I re-downloaded VIII on Android because I remembered buying it for a few bucks at a sale. "This probably won´t be that bad, it´s turn-based battles and field exploration, this should be servicable!"

...just running around town was infuriating. I could barely enter the pub, with the virtual joystick making me stumble around like an idiot. Trying to manage walking around plus the low framerate made me motionsick for the first time in years.

There´s a reason most modern mobile games have ditched moving a character completely and resorted to menu tapping and auto running.

zroid

Banned
Was the UI lifted directly from the original version of the game? I wonder why it didn't get overhauled, it definitely feels kind of antiquated.

anyways, I just picked my vocations, how do they affect the kinds of equipment you can use? It seems like the stuff I could equip before choosing jobs are still usable, but I assume each job gives you access to specific types of equipment in addition to the defaults?

LaneDS

I've only played through the first island but I'm really pleased with how well done the remake is. I was also amazed how much I remembered of the game, having only played maybe ten hours deep back when it launched many years ago. Can't wait to slowly make my way through the rest of it.

I would wait for the 3D version. Yes, it's another 40 €/$ if you already own the PS2 version, but the 3DS version is just far better. It has more content (playable characters, a dungeon, a long new sidequest), significantly faster load times and quality of life changes like an instant alchemy pot.

The only 2 blemishes on an otherwise far superior version are presentation related (the visuals took a small hit and the OST was changed for a midi version, which works for me, because the previous recording was of really low quality).

And hey, you are supporting dragon quest in the west.

aravuus

Was the UI lifted directly from the original version of the game? I wonder why it didn't get overhauled, it definitely feels kind of antiquated.

anyways, I just picked my vocations, how do they affect the kinds of equipment you can use? It seems like the stuff I could equip before choosing jobs are still usable, but I assume each job gives you access to specific types of equipment in addition to the defaults?

Not at all, the classes don't have any equipment restrictions. Only the characters themselves do.

kromeo

I would wait for the 3D version. Yes, it's another 40 €/$ if you already own the PS2 version, but the 3DS version is just far better. More content (playable characters, a dungeon, a long new sidequest), significantly faster load times etc.

The only 2 blemishes on an otherwise far superior version are presentation related (the visuals took a small hit and the OST was changed for a midi version, which works for me, because the previous recording was of really low quality).

Has it been confirmed the voice acting is in the western release? That was the single worst thing about the mobile version for me, just not the same without Trode and Yangus voices

Save file got deleted when I transferred my data to my New 3DS :(

I was only like 7 hours in though, so it's not that bad I guess.

Any noticeable upgrades when playing on N3DS vs 3DS? Besides working 3D.

Eusis

Well, DQ demands you stay around a new surrounding and if you notice you getting defeated easily or having a tough time with boss fights, maybe its best you level up and grind. There's a reason why DQ games involve alot of exploration and patience. You can't just blaze through the whole game barely levelling up. Sooner or later, you'll hit a wall hard and think the game is not fun anymore.
Usually that brick wall is the final boss or something end game-ish in my experience. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of those were doable as is. There is the occasional tricky boss but most games have that pop up at some point.

hampig

I think it's best on iPhone honestly. A slightly better framerate and the option of a big screen are the only changes, so ask yourself how you want to play the game if at all, I guess.

Kirlia

Banned
Save file got deleted when I transferred my data to my New 3DS :(

I was only like 7 hours in though, so it's not that bad I guess.

Any noticeable upgrades when playing on N3DS vs 3DS? Besides working 3D.

Oh, shit. I'm getting an N3DS later in October and I've kind of been worrying about transferring data. Did you lose any other data in any other games, and did the transfer seem to go perfectly until you saw that your DQ7 file was gone?

(I'm at 18 hours/just got back my abilities in the prison town, and I REALLY don't want to do that particular part of the game again.)

EDIT: Was your game a physical or digital copy? Mine is physical.

redcrayon

My only complaint so far, the UI in battle is really sluggish, makes it kind of annoying when everyone is using skills. Just a minor thing though..
For most battles, the AI is really good, and in some cases better than what you'll come up with as characters focusing on healing can respond immediately after enemy attacks, and those left to attack often seem to know more about enemy weaknesses and immunities than you do.

I leave Maribel on 'don't use magic' apart from boss fights, and she's smart enough to use the salvation staff/stone for healing instead. I leave Ruff on 'show no mercy' and he happily varies between his strongest area or single attacks as appropriate, and his fire item attack against enemies weak to fire. If you haven't tried the AI yet, give it a go, it makes battles so much quicker.

Slaythe

I think it's best on iPhone honestly. A slightly better framerate and the option of a big screen are the only changes, so ask yourself how you want to play the game if at all, I guess.

I have a ps2 copy that I just never got around to play.

I have the iphone version and it's cancer. I'm not playing this.

I was just wondering if 3ds was worth the wait (20177) or if ps2 was worth playing. I might emulate it too if it's better.

redcrayon

This is precisely why I love the franchise. It's really one of the best cases of less is more. The little island stories pack more nuance and depth than many RPGs that meander forever with inane dialogue. It's just that getting the full picture requires actual agency.
Another thing I think makes it stand out is that not everyone is a pretty young adult, concerned with young adult things. There are parents worried about their kids, married couples cooking for each other and moaning about their other half, three generations of a family living in a village, and a mix of children, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged adults and elderly people. Leaders of villages or churches are young and old, male and female, and they are mostly far more concerned with the gossip about their small-town life and pointing you towards an inn. A larger variety of character models would help, but it makes the settlements seem alive even when only a dozen people live there, and makes their problems seem worse for having interrupted centuries of peace. I love the way most npcs in Dragon Quest care more about local festivals, fishing and farming with only a handful dropping hints about where an adventurer might find gainful employment!

Even when the plot is epic and tragic, it's still a bunch of worlds I love being an adventurer in.

zroid

Banned
Two possibly dumb questions:

1. can you make items you pick up default to the bag somehow?

2. any way to check what spells/abilities do outside of battle?

Celine

I would wait for the 3D version. Yes, it's another 40 €/$ if you already own the PS2 version, but the 3DS version is just far better. It has more content (playable characters, a dungeon, a long new sidequest), significantly faster load times and quality of life changes like an instant alchemy pot.

Yeah, this is the main reason I will buy DQVIII for 3DS despite owning the PS2 version.

Kirlia

Banned
Oh, shit. I'm getting an N3DS later in October and I've kind of been worrying about transferring data. Did you lose any other data in any other games, and did the transfer seem to go perfectly until you saw that your DQ7 file was gone?

(I'm at 18 hours/just got back my abilities in the prison town, and I REALLY don't want to do that particular part of the game again.)

EDIT: Was your game a physical or digital copy? Mine is physical.

Sorry to be pushy about this, but I really don't want to lose my data. Does anyone know if DQ7 saves to the cartridge or the SD card?

Second Dragon Quest I play (after VIII which I loved), this is pretty good.

The game has a share of problems (some of the interface is pretty outdated and some thing are tiresome, like saving or micro managing each character's inventory) but I don't know why I just want to keep playing. The battles aren't even that strategic.

Knurek

Why is there only a small amount of free space for download tablets?
Seriously, only 28 spots? With up to sixteen being taken by story content?
Who okayed that?

Daouzin

Jesus Christ, how you people are rpg fans I'll never know. I don't do any of this shit. Just don't run from encounters and you're golden.

Yeah, I don't get it either, but as long as people love it, that's cool. So whatever.

My 3rd play through of the game and I'm 22 hours in and have never had to grind at any point. The only thing I do that's "grindy-like," is that if I see new enemies on the screen I'll fight each of them just once, to get a feel for their strength. So if I don't have the best gear at the moment I can make a mental note to buy new gear after the next dungeon. So far all the enemies have been relatively chill. I also do it because I love the monster designs and don't want to miss any in my monster book.

Man, they really dumbed down the intro and the pillar shrine didn't they? I'm really disappointed in this, it's worse than I expected.

I really preferred the bigger shrine in the original and exploring it to find the pillars and other stuff.

Yeah, so far in the remake that's my only issue. Love everything about it so far.

I recommend having at least 4000 gold by the time you first get to Alltrades Abbey if you want to budget your money and not grind for it when you need it. Reason:
There is a weapon that casts sleep in the weapon shop of the next town

That weapon never worked for me in combat, is it based on a particular stat? I tried it like 15 or so times and it landed like twice.

The game has a share of problems (some of the interface is pretty outdated and some thing are tiresome, like saving or micro managing each character's inventory) but I don't know why I just want to keep playing. The battles aren't even that strategic.

The charm. I highly recommend Dragon Quest Builders and the DS game Rocket Slime.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US!

Oregano

In Grondal now and.... The encounter rate caused by the symbol encounters is beginning to grate on me. They needed to spawns few less enemies.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Sorry to be pushy about this, but I really don't want to lose my data. Does anyone know if DQ7 saves to the cartridge or the SD card?

I have it on cartridge and did a n3ds to n3ds transfer this weekend just gone.

It didn't affect my save. I took the cartridge out of the system when I did the transfer though

Do I have to wait until getting monster class to acquire all intermediate/advanced vocation abilities? Or can I master them now and master the monster classes to get the sweet abilities?

That weapon never worked for me in combat, is it based on a particular stat? I tried it like 15 or so times and it landed like twice.
I wasn't able to afford it during the actual part of the game (I made the mistake of going to the armor shop first), but it did land on enemies right after that part, so I assumed it would help there too.

Still, even if it turns out enemies there resist it, the Lucida Shard you can buy soon after works on them.

Amirnol

How is Buff not a Defensive Spell... I hate that the battle UI separates spells and abilities into three categories each. I really do not understand that design choice at all. I just got my fourth party member and so far this game is nice but pretty darn slow going. DQ8 is hands down still my favorite so far in the series. I am looking forward to battles becoming more interesting and challenging as I move forward (at least I hope they do!).

magnetic

In Grondal now and.... The encounter rate caused by the symbol encounters is beginning to grate on me. They needed to spawns few less enemies.

I was initially really happy about the symbol encounters, but it's not implemented well. I like the system in games like Etrian Odyssey or SMT Strange Journey where while walking around a meter builds up and then a battle starts, making them predictable in a way.

So ironically, the symbol encounters feel more random than the "battle after set number of steps" system. The DS remakes always felt like the rate was too high, but playing through Strange Journey again, I can see the benefits of random encounters - this "I know I'm in the clear for a while, oh, next battle coming up soon!"

How is Buff not a Defensive Spell... I hate that the battle UI separates spells and abilities into three categories each. I really do not understand that design choice at all. I just got my fourth party member and so far this game is nice but pretty darn slow going. DQ8 is hands down still my favorite so far in the series. I am looking forward to battles becoming more interesting and challenging as I move forward (at least I hope they do!).

The text-only "list of all your stuff" way of handing skills gets rather tiring, I agree. I played DQ Monsters Joker 2 recently and that game has helpful little icons that indicate the category of skill you're using, like almost every other game out there.

I really think there's a difference between being quaint and nostalgic and just being stubborn, and navigating the abilities in DQ games feels like flipping through pages on a 1990s pocket organizer - it just feels clunky and unergonomic to me.

I initially really liked the low key look, reminded me of classic computer RPGs, but once the number of skills exploded, it quickly started to annoy me. At least it has cursor memory!

Kirlia

Banned
I have it on cartridge and did a n3ds to n3ds transfer this weekend just gone.

It didn't affect my save. I took the cartridge out of the system when I did the transfer though

Yeah, I'm 90% certain it's a cartridge save, although I'm still curious to hear from the guy who lost his save. Thanks, though! I was worried about progress loss. And yeah, good idea to take cartridges out before a system transfer.

never played a DQ game before, this is a good entry for beginners?

Every DQ is a great place to start, except maybe 1 or 2 which are still pretty cool. It's a very consistent series.

Common recommendations are 4, 5, 8 or even 9. But frankly you can't go wrong with any of them. VII is my personal favorite.

xevis

Banned
Well, DQ demands you stay around a new surrounding and if you notice you getting defeated easily or having a tough time with boss fights, maybe its best you level up and grind.

Please don't do that. There's no need to grind. Just explore the areas open to you. Finish the quest of the local town. Explore the dungeons. Play the game organically rather than trying to blaze through each area as quickly as possible. Playing this way, I've never needed to grind in any Dragon Quest.

GeekyDad

never played a DQ game before, this is a good entry for beginners?

Personally don't think it's the best introduction into the series. I'd recommend V or IX, with an edge to IX. Enjoying VII, but outside of the updated graphics, it feels pretty dated. Great game, no doubt, but it might be a bit too slow-to-get-going for a newbie to the series.

xevis

Banned
BTW, how cool is the new shop status screen in each town? You see all the stuff available there and how much it costs. Awesome!

Equally awesome are the new monster names and regional accents. I loved Maeve's Scottish brogue and I almost died the first time I encountered a woebergine. So so so good. Four hours in and I'm still grinning ear to ear.

EDIT: just saw this terrific post from redcrayon that further emphasises why this series is so great. QFT.

Another thing I think makes it stand out is that not everyone is a pretty young adult, concerned with young adult things. There are parents worried about their kids, married couples cooking for each other and moaning about their other half, three generations of a family living in a village, and a mix of children, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged adults and elderly people. Leaders of villages or churches are young and old, male and female, and they are mostly far more concerned with the gossip about their small-town life and pointing you towards an inn. A larger variety of character models would help, but it makes the settlements seem alive even when only a dozen people live there, and makes their problems seem worse for having interrupted centuries of peace. I love the way most npcs in Dragon Quest care more about local festivals, fishing and farming with only a handful dropping hints about where an adventurer might find gainful employment!

Even when the plot is epic and tragic, it's still a bunch of worlds I love being an adventurer in.

Tohsaka

I really like this game, but holy shit is there a ton of padding. Constantly having to run back and forth between the same areas to talk to the same people again, especially in the past when you can't fast travel. This game would definitely be much shorter if a lot of that stuff was removed.

zroid

Banned
BTW, how cool is the new shop status screen in each town? You see all the stuff available there and how much it costs. Awesome!

Equally awesome are the new monster names and regional accents. I loved Maeve's Scottish brogue and I almost died the first time I encountered a woebergine. So so so good. Four hours in and I'm still grinning ear to ear.

I keep forgetting to use that feature but it's great when I do remember :lol

and agreed about the accents and monster names.

Top Bottom