• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

R0ckman

Is there a skill that slows enemies down? It seems that the only time I have difficulty in the game is when enemies attack first.

kromeo

Is there a skill that slows enemies down? It seems that the only time I have difficulty in the game is when enemies attack first.

I always give agility ring or meteorite bracer to my healer in DQ games to make sure they can act first, not sure where you get them in this one though

R0ckman

I always give agility ring or meteorite bracer to my healer in DQ games to make sure they can act first, not sure where you get them in this one though

Right now both Maribel and Ruff are over 100 in agility and I was fighting a Notso Macho boss in the tablets for the first time and he just kept going first. I eventually killed him but it was more trouble than it should have been.

Here is my planned builds:

Hero

Tier 1:
Thief, sailor warrior, martial artist, mage

Tier 2:
Pirate, gladiator, armament a list

Tier 3:
Hero

Maribel:

Tier 1:
Mage, priest, dancer. Bard, gadabout

Tier 2:
Sage, luminary

Tier 3:
Druid

Ruff:

Tier 1:
Shephard, thief,

Tier 2:
Monster masher

Monster classes (suggestions?)

Mervyn:

Tier 1
Warrior Matrial artist, priest

Tier 2:
Paladin, gladiator

Tier 3
Champion

Aishe isn't getting use

Well I set Ruff up as a Monster Masher straight away and everything has been a joke since. I learned Scorch and can pretty much wipe groups of enemies without trying when dungeon crawling.

Haha I've been using this for training with Ruff in fact, it was more that over unlocked champion and the hero class with my hero and wasn't sure which one was the best route. Apparently they both go up slooooow so was checking to see if one was particularly better than one.

Here is my planned builds:

Haha by pure chance this is exactly what I have right now bar Mervyn since I only got him a little while ago, and I haven't explored the Monster classes yet. I went with hero class earlier, summoner on maribel and monster Masher on Ruff (although I've unlocked pirate and mastered that with him too).

Croc

Banned
I'm at Providence (present).
Is there anything I'm supposed to actually do to help find the wooden goddess statue or is that just supposed to be something that they figure out themselves? I have all of the fragments in the area so I'm kind of inclined to think it's not something I'm supposed to help with. I just wanna make sure before I move on to the next area so I can minimize backtracking lol

redcrayon

I'm at Providence (present).
Is there anything I'm supposed to actually do to help find the wooden goddess statue or is that just supposed to be something that they figure out themselves? I have all of the fragments in the area so I'm kind of inclined to think it's not something I'm supposed to help with. I just wanna make sure before I move on to the next area so I can minimize backtracking lol
One of the villagers is in the cave behind the church with it, hoping the water will fix it. It's one line of text, doesn't need any help from passing adventurers if you don't feel like trekking up there :)

....50+ish hours in spoilers....

Where do I go in the Present after the
helping a scientist clear a Tower of Monsters. My mind has gone blank on the name of the area, but in the Past this place was flooded and I had to kill some underwater demon

Sorry if it's too vague

....50+ish hours in spoilers....

Where do I go in the Present after the
helping a scientist clear a Tower of Monsters. My mind has gone blank on the name of the area, but in the Past this place was flooded and I had to kill some underwater demon

Sorry if it's too vague

I believe once you do that with him at the tower, you go back to town and get his treasure. Then you.may remember someone inquiring about the item?

If you can't remember after that,
you take the mirror moon to the lady with the magic carpet

I've been so negligent with this game this week. I'm so going to get back in tomorrow.

Haha it's all I've really played in my spare time >_< I had been working away at mankind divided miserably slow, and I totally dropped it as soon as I got this. About 60 hours in right now. In fact, the only thing I made time for otherwise is the builders demo!

SuperSah

Banned
Haha it's all I've really played in my spare time >_< I had been working away at mankind divided miserably slow, and I totally dropped it as soon as I got this. About 60 hours in right now. In fact, the only thing I made time for otherwise is the builders demo!

I'm in at 35 hours. I popped DOOM in my PS4 to see how it was then haven't stopped playing it since.

Scrawnton

I am about 47 hours into the game and I may take a little break today and tomorrow to get more into Forza Horizon 3. I will wrap up the
hubble
island and then race the night away. This is assuming I don't run into any major story moments.

Tizoc

By most recent I meat the most recent one you can get. The first 4-5 tablets have a cap of 20 for job exp but the rest of them have no cap.

got 5 tablets so far, gonna get the 6th then start grinding

How do I know I maxed out a vocation? Is it when I reach 10 stars? EDIT: Read up online ah so It's 'level 8' as the cap for each class okie doke.

As I play I find myself having to select my characters' attacks manually more and more so I can use status abilities to prevent enemies from getting turns.

How do I know I maxed out a vocation? Is it when I reach 10 stars?
I think it's 8 stars, but you'll know when the stars are golden on the Attributes screen.

zroid

Banned
ughhhh ffs it'd be nice if the game didn't throw back to back bosses at me without letting me know there was a second one coming as soon as I went to the next room

I was at low HP/MP and got destroyed :\

between losing half my money and reviving two party members I lost like 4000 gold

R0ckman

Dammit hate it when games do this, I'm talking to Bulgio and he won't give me the damn stone and nothing is triggering to help me figure out what to do next with dealing with him.

Edit: Oh you leave the house to trigger it, not sure why the group "..." When any other time I would be told "there is nothing we can do, let's leave."

Nice, was worried about
gracos v
but I guess I've maybe over trained, I beat him in 3 rounds. Minimal damage taken!

Haha that Bulgio thing got me for a minute too but I think I'd just started to wise up to the games vices at that point and just tried to leave.

Tizoc

I think there is a limit to the # you can hold. Somebody said 16 or something?

Urgh I am nearing Level 20 already and am confused on which Tablet or Dungeon has a cap that's higher than 20 if no cap at all =_=
I got Drake Slime and The Blimp enemy dungeons atm though. Gonna see if I gain anything for my Mage and if all goes well will keep farming in there.

Zekes!

Man, as basic Toriyama's character design is (you basically always have a party with a Goku clone, a Trunks clone and a Bulma clone throughout the games), his monster design are pretty cool in a old school kind of way.

One thing I appreciate about Toriyama's designs is his use of colour, so even if his human's all look like clones of one another, their costumes are usually interesting even if they're still simple

How do you get to the Western portion of the desert temple island in present day

If you can't get there yet, you probably have some other stuff to do first:
You need the magic carpet
. Don't worry about it until you have no where else you can visit in time. Remember, the next tablet fragment option in the info menu is your friend!

zroid

Banned
I was looking for a vocation guide and stumbled upon this on reddit. very helpful.

dq7jobchartorkox.png

Tizoc

Alright, found a good tablet to Level up my Vocations:
The Zepling one, it is found after you complete Alltrades and return to the Present time. In the bottom right most island is a French Village and there you will find the Villager to recruit to the Haven in order to get the Zeppling Tablet.

I am level 21 atm but still managed to level up my vocations without issues!
Also I just learned Lightning.
I think I'll go about maxing out all initial vocations and then settle on the 2nd tier ones before continuing in the game.

EDIT: So yeah this way I can max out a Vocation in under an hour. Gonna aim to max out the Extremely fast Vocations next then work my way up with my trio.

Ray Down

Banned
OK I'm stuck, I really need some help.

I just finished the
full Nottagen story, I'm sure I got all the fragments I could find and yet I'm still missing pieces. I got a mysterious piece that can't fit anywhere. Even though I ask the guide at the shrine all he's saying is the next place is a whole new world, be excited, but he's not telling me how. I haven't gotten the one at King Maximo Palace, how do I get this one?

Mr. RPG

I just finished the
full Nottagen story, I'm sure I got all the fragments I could find and yet I'm still missing pieces. I got a mysterious piece that can't fit anywhere. Even though I ask the guide at the shrine all he's saying is the next place is a whole new world, be excited, but he's not telling me how.

The mysterious fragments are for a bonus dungeon. What fragments are you missing?

Aselith

I just finished the
full Nottagen story, I'm sure I got all the fragments I could find and yet I'm still missing pieces. I got a mysterious piece that can't fit anywhere. Even though I ask the guide at the shrine all he's saying is the next place is a whole new world, be excited, but he's not telling me how. I haven't gotten the one at King Maximo Palace, how do I get this one?

Go to your menu and info and there is a "Next Fragment" selection that will help you. I just found this out and it's super annoying that they bury it tbh

Aeana

Go to your menu and info and there is a "Next Fragment" selection that will help you. I just found this out and it's super annoying that they bury it tbh

It also shows up when you talk to the NPC in the shrine. It's not remotely hidden, people are just apparently oblivious.

Ray Down

Banned
The mysterious fragments are for a bonus dungeon. What fragments are you missing?

I'm missing 1 more for the last Red and Yellow Pillars.

Yellow Top Right Pillar: I'm missing the middle piece.

Red Bottom Left Pillar: Missing the middle piece.

Other than the one at Maximo palace which may be a mysterious one, I don't know what I've missed.

Aselith

It also shows up when you talk to the NPC in the shrine. It's not remotely hidden, people are just apparently oblivious.

I just had a situation where I couldn't figure out what I was missing and the Shrine guy was all "I dunno, breh" but that menu did tell me so he's kind of unhelpful sometimes.

Ray Down

Banned

Tahnk you

He isn't telling me anything about where to look actually, here's what he's literally saying to me:

Ho Ho! How Exciting! I'm being told that the
next pedestal will give you access to a whole new world!

Sounds like it would be worth whatever it takes to get there!

Real helpful, I know exactly where to look for that Fragment now! Clearly I'm just being oblivious.

Mr. RPG

I'm missing 1 more for the last Red and Yellow Pillars.

Yellow Top Right Pillar: I'm missing the middle piece.

Red Bottom Left Pillar: Missing the middle piece.

Other than the one at Maximo palace which may be a mysterious one, I don't know what I've missed.

The red fragment that you need can be found at the sunken city in the present.

I don't know where the missing yellow fragment is. :( I don't think you can access that area yet so don't worry about finding it right now. :p

Edit: I think the yellow fragment might be in Nottagen. If it isn't, then the fragment you're looking for isn't obtainable yet.

first dragon quest game that im actually playing through, really enjoying it, i just finished the 3rd island and damn its a pretty tragic one :(
I'm assuming the old man and little boy were never able to find the cure to unstone people seeing as how the village is completely wiped away in present day with no traces of it ever existing. I was legit sad once i visited the island in present day

Heropon

I finished this game yesterday. It was exactly the type of game that I needed in my life and despite some flaws I loved every single hour that I spent playing it, even when it seemed like it wanted to make me "suffer". It also made me get very involved in the little stories that unfolded while playing unlike in DQ6. Maybe I collect my thoughts later and expose them better but I had to say that Dragon Quest 7 was definitely an amazing experience that I would recommend to everyone.

xevis

Banned
Dat encounter rate in Burnmont. Yikes! Can't take two steps without running over trash mobs. It's fun how you can sometimes sneak behind them though and then run away.

Do we know who is responsible for the localisation? Did SE go with Plus Alpha or is it 8-4? Treehouse maybe? I searched around yesterday and I couldn't find anything.

Do we know who is responsible for the localisation? Did SE go with Plus Alpha or is it 8-4? Treehouse maybe? I searched around yesterday and I couldn't find anything.

Shloc.

As someone who has been less than pleased bt how the franchise has been localized in recent games (when theyre avtually brought over)I'm actually pleased by their work. Better than Plus Alpha's work. About even with 8-4s work on 6.

Finally finished Alltrades.

I'd really love to sit down with the designers and find out who thought it was a good idea to not add the job part of the game until 20 hours in, and make the questline to get them so goddamn annoying and long.

Top Bottom