• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

kromeo

Since this is 90% of the same game as the original DQVII and has the same story content, what made the PSOne version longer by... 40 hours?

I'm starting DQIII iOS now, any idea how long the game is?

It's a bit shorter than IV from memory, maybe 20 hours? There was one boss that roasted me and I had to do a bit of grinding

Since this is 90% of the same game as the original DQVII and has the same story content, what made the PSOne version longer by... 40 hours?

I'm starting DQIII iOS now, any idea how long the game is?

I feel like the original was just slower. Slower battles, took more time to level up and the like. Probably a minimal difference when you look at it under a microscope, but it becomes large eventually due to the sheer size of the game.

(or maybe my memory's hazy)

Rizzi

Will I get to
go back to Alltrades Abbey soon? I'm just about to head on a boat to see who just showed up in Pilchard Bay.

Linkura

You do level jobs much faster. Also, familiarity with the game is going to decrease your time by a lot. That always happens with me when I replay a game.

Familiarity is probably the biggest factor. As someone who already played the PS1 version 3 times before, that factor was kind of gone and the difference between my last PS1 time and 3DS version was only about 4 hours(69 for PS1 vs 65 for 3DS)

Fauve

Hey guys. I just finished Alltrades Abbey (boy was that Ruff) and I'm starting to plan out my classes. For now, I was thinking of having everyone end up as:

Auster: Hero
Maribel: Sage
Mervyn
: Champion
Aishe
: Summoner

And for Ruff, I was thinking of ending him as an advanced monster class (I don't want duplicate classes and I think it would fit him).

Anyways on to my question: are there any monster classes that are good to invest in and stay on? And when do I unlock the ability to get monster classes? Thanks for any help.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Familiarity is probably the biggest factor. As someone who already played the PS1 version 3 times before, that factor was kind of gone and the difference between my last PS1 time and 3DS version was only about 4 hours(69 for PS1 vs 65 for 3DS)

Well technically this is my first time playing and completing the game. I played the PSone version till... Emberdale.

Though my brother did 100 hours in disc 1 lol.

jb1234

A lot of extra time on the PS1 version was also spent (at least for me) hunting down those shards, which is greatly lessened in the remake.

Hey guys. I just finished Alltrades Abbey (boy was that Ruff) and I'm starting to plan out my classes. For now, I was thinking of having everyone end up as:

Auster: Hero
Maribel: Sage
Mervyn
: Champion
Aishe
: Summoner

And for Ruff, I was thinking of ending him as an advanced monster class (I don't want duplicate classes and I think it would fit him).

Anyways on to my question: are there any monster classes that are good to invest in and stay on? And when do I unlock the ability to get monster classes? Thanks for any help.

Monster classes aren't really worth it imho. They're are the only misstep this game makes imho. They are a little bit more worth it in this version.

Like you I thought to make Ruff a monster. He got a decent amount mastered, but I never felt he was as powerful as my other characters especially considering the amount of work you have to put in with such low yeilds.

To get monster classes, you need to have that character you want to change job gave a monster heart in their inventory when at all trades. The option will them be there

Monster classes aren't really worth it imho. They're are the only misstep this game makes imho. They are a little bit more worth it in this version.

Like you I thought to make Ruff a monster. He got a decent amount mastered, but I never felt he was as powerful as my other characters especially considering the amount of work you have to put in with such low yeilds.

To get monster classes, you need to have that character you want to change job gave a monster heart in their inventory when at all trades. The option will them be there

The good abilities are very concentrated on late game monsters. The early monsters are only good for unlocking later monsters without hearts since their abilities are usually learnable much faster from the initial classes, the exception is heal Slime who's Multi-Heal is good but it's pretty common on Tier 2 classes anyway.

Fauve

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll just figure out something else for Ruff. Maybe I'll just make him another Champion.

Kinda curious as to when the game picks up.

I've been playing for around for almost 16 hours now,
I'm I think finishing up in Greenthumb Gardens.
and I'm just not feeling it. I've gone through every DQ except this one, but the repetition is driving me a bit batty. The constant do a town, do a dungeon (maybe) then do the town again, then the dungeon again is really driving me nuts. Is this the way it's going to be for the rest of the game? I like some of the vignettes, but even the good ones story wise
like Faraday
seem to have a ton of fetch questing and running from place to place for no reason. I hear they cut out some of the padding, but the game still feels padded out. Am I missing something?

Kalnos

Banned
Kinda curious as to when the game picks up.

I've been playing for around for almost 16 hours now,
I'm I think finishing up in Greenthumb Gardens.
and I'm just not feeling it. I've gone through every DQ except this one, but the repetition is driving me a bit batty. The constant do a town, do a dungeon (maybe) then do the town again, then the dungeon again is really driving me nuts. Is this the way it's going to be for the rest of the game? I like some of the vignettes, but even the good ones story wise
like Faraday
seem to have a ton of fetch questing and running from place to place for no reason. I hear they cut out some of the padding, but the game still feels padded out. Am I missing something?

Alltrades Abbey is when the game picks up but the padding and fetch feeling never goes away.

B.K.

I really need to level some vocations for abilities and advanced jobs. What's a good place to grind vocations and not gain a lot of experience points?

I really need to level some vocations for abilities and advanced jobs. What's a good place to grind vocations and not gain a lot of experience points?

Easy DLC tablets like Sticky Business or Feline Forest or the Harvest one.

Slimetree Forest and the other Haven recruitment tablets work up until the mid 20s, I believe.

The First 3 ingame tablets are only up to 19 (you don't get class xp at 20).

Hadn't used them since the Babygoyle one (which went up to 22, if I recall correctly). The rest I could only extrapolate based on that scant tidbit.

In other news, rather let down that Hellfire takes quite a bit of MP to use, especially since the previous four fire breath abilities were free.

Xeno_V

I am debating on whether I should make an attempt to play this game but it's not the easiest decision to take.

I played 4 and 5 a few years ago and I liked them a lot. I don't consider them among my favorite JRPGs, not even close actually, but they were charming in their own way and their length wasn't an issue. I think around 25 hours for DQ4 and maybe a bit above 30 for DQ5.

Then I played DQ6 some time during 2015, mostly in order to finish with the trilogy. The issue is that although I finished it, I just didn't enjoy it. I felt like it was longer than it should (35-40 hours maybe) and I got tired by the way from travelling between worlds all the time and not even remembering where I have to go each time. The gameplay wasn't anything new and mastering classes took ages. I know that plot isn't something significant in DQ games but still it felt much worse to me than in 4 or 5.
Overall this felt like a huge waste of time.

From what I read in this thread DQ7 seems to have the same "issues" that DQ6 had and maybe to an even greater extent (especially the game's length which seems to be around 65 hours at best).
In general it seems that there are too many things that make the whole experience drag on and on and maybe there's no added value to this. Maybe the gameplay is more fun or maybe the side-stories are more interesting but I am not sure about this.

I always wanted to play 8 and I believe that I will do so eventually but for 7 I don't know if I have the "courage" to spend 60-70 hours of my life. Does anyone share any similar feelings/concerns about all those things? Also do you think that 8 is way different than 7?

DQVIII is more stripped down in terms of game play.

Also keep in mind is not that much shorter then 7.

I agree with you about game lengths bring an isshe. I'm dreading ffxv. But... dqvii 7 went by quick for me

MoonFrog

I am debating on whether I should make an attempt to play this game but it's not the easiest decision to take.

I played 4 and 5 a few years ago and I liked them a lot. I don't consider them among my favorite JRPGs, not even close actually, but they were charming in their own way and their length wasn't an issue. I think around 25 hours for DQ4 and maybe a bit above 30 for DQ5.

Then I played DQ6 some time during 2015, mostly in order to finish with the trilogy. The issue is that although I finished it, I just didn't enjoy it. I felt like it was longer than it should (35-40 hours maybe) and I got tired by the way from travelling between worlds all the time and not even remembering where I have to go each time. The gameplay wasn't anything new and mastering classes took ages. I know that plot isn't something significant in DQ games but still it felt much worse to me than in 4 or 5.
Overall this felt like a huge waste of time.

From what I read in this thread DQ7 seems to have the same "issues" that DQ6 had and maybe to an even greater extent (especially the game's length which seems to be around 65 hours at best).
In general it seems that there are too many things that make the whole experience drag on and on and maybe there's no added value to this. Maybe the gameplay is more fun or maybe the side-stories are more interesting but I am not sure about this.

I always wanted to play 8 and I believe that I will do so eventually but for 7 I don't know if I have the "courage" to spend 60-70 hours of my life. Does anyone share any similar feelings/concerns about all those things? Also do you think that 8 is way different than 7?
This game is better than DQVI imo. Filling in the map is much more of an event and has more purpose than it had in DQVI where it felt like it was just scribbling in the margins to stuff as much traditional JRPG map gameplay into the game as it could. The time travel also does stuff for the vignettes, which are generally pretty strong for the series imo. The characters are similarly weakly characterized though, especially those you get after you finish the opening sequence.

DQVIII has tighter characters and central narrative guiding the expanding map and vignettes and also lacks the class system (a plus imo), but as I remember it (been a while since I replayed DQVIII; will rectify that on 3DS at some point) the vignettes in DQVII are generally better.

Both are long.

I liked the skill system in DQ VIII more than VII's job system. Almost every skill you learn in 8 generally matters and is useful, and everyone in your party learns mostly different sets of spells/abilities, so it never feels like one party member is replaceable with another by just swapping jobs.

But in VII, it feels like over 90% of the abilities you learn are worthless, because the few most powerful moves in the game have no MP cost (like Sword Dance). For example, what's the point of the Sizz family of spells if I can easily learn Scorch which uses no MP and hits all enemies and does a guaranteed 110~140 damage to most enemies. There's a lot of redundancy in 7 like this that I don't remember experiencing in 8.

MoonFrog

I liked the skill system in DQ VIII more than VII's job system. Almost every skill you learn in 8 generally matters and is useful, and everyone in your party learns mostly different sets of spells/abilities, so it never feels like one party member is replaceable with another by just swapping jobs.

But in VII, it feels like over 90% of the abilities you learn are worthless, because the few most powerful moves in the game have no MP cost (like Sword Dance). For example, what's the point of the Sizz family of spells if I can easily learn Scorch which uses no MP and hits all enemies and does a guaranteed 110~140 damage to most enemies. There's a lot of redundancy in 7 like this that I don't remember experiencing in 8.
Yeah, DQVIII has better battles and character growth game hands down imo.

TrutaS

Finally finished the game last week. It's a flawed and old school game, that manages to be endearing, addictive and memorable all thourought. It simply has that special thing so many other games (with better systems) lack. On my top RPG list just because it hooked me for 80 hours, which is probably the biggest ammount of time I've spent with a single-player game.

ghibli99

I love the feeling of constant growth that job mastery gives your party, especially since it takes a long time between levels when you're up in the 20s+. Just finished the
Dune/desert
arc and really enjoyed it.

Got wrecked by the boss of the
Cirrus Vale
scenario. My hero is level 29 and everyone else ranges from 23-27.

Current jobs:

Gladiator (also has mastered Paladin)
Paladin (also has mastered Gladiator)
Wizard (also has mastered Cleric)
Troubador (also has mastered Dancer, Jester)

I think everyone has best gear but one character who can get a slight armor upgrade, so I'm not really sure what I need to win this fight but I know I took a ton of damage.

MoonFrog

I disagree.
Dedicated roles, less ability bloat, less imbalance because of these two things, doesn't have Abbey 15-20 hours in, etc. I don't like how stingy it is with skill points as I recall it being, but other than that, I'd argue, it is all around a better package when it comes to battles and character growth expressed in battles. Coupled with heavier characterization of said characters (another area VII is lacking), and this is definitely a virtue of VIII over VII.

The class system in VI and VII is pretty 'meh,' imo and definitely not why I play the games. VI is probably my least favorite DQ I played. VII is great because of its premise and its vignettes, both of which it holds over VIII imo.

I think the class system has a grind-y sort of charm to it that mostly failed on me playing VII. It'd work better with better realization in battle.

I love the feeling of constant growth that job mastery gives your party, especially since it takes a long time between levels when you're up in the 20s+. Just finished the
Dune/desert
arc and really enjoyed it.

This is definitely a good thing about the system with DQs very slow leveling as you get on in levels. Also compounds the annoyance of low skill point count in VIII.

Got wrecked by the boss of the
Cirrus Vale
scenario. My hero is level 29 and everyone else ranges from 23-27.

Current jobs:

Gladiator (also has mastered Paladin)
Paladin (also has mastered Gladiator)
Wizard (also has mastered Cleric)
Troubador (also has mastered Dancer, Jester)

I think everyone has best gear but one character who can get a slight armor upgrade, so I'm not really sure what I need to win this fight but I know I took a ton of damage.

First time I did that I died because I had a mage who'd die every turn thanks to their low HP count. Try changing to classes that have higher defensive potential? I imagine it is Wizard/Troubador that are causing you issues.

Edit: Also cool to see others did DQIII iOS after this. That's what I did :).

Square2015

More bad news about DQ7 sales:
Code:
6h6 hours ago
Astronaut Claire ‏@AstronautClaire
$NTDOY's Dragon Quest VII 3DS had poor legs at Oct 2016 NPD USA Retail SW, outsold by ancient SW like Pokemon X/Y, Pokken, Super Smash Bros.
So maybe <10k, after doing 35k last month. DQ7 was an utter bomb in the USA, we don't deserve Dragon Quest ever again. Don't even want to think about how poorly DQB did.

Code:
6h6 hours ago
Astronaut Claire &#8207;@AstronautClaire
$NTDOY's Dragon Quest VII 3DS had poor legs at Oct 2016 NPD USA Retail SW, outsold by ancient SW like Pokemon X/Y, Pokken, Super Smash Bros.
So maybe <10k, after doing 35k last month. DQ7 was an utter bomb in the USA, we don't deserve Dragon Quest ever again. Don't even want to think about how poorly DQB did.

Oof...

That makes me really really sad, even more after SE said they were considering bringing more DQ to the West. We really don't deserve it...

Time to restart learning japanese I guess

MoonFrog

Why doesn't DQ sell anyway? It's oozing charm. It's accessible. It's quality product. It has Japanese aesthetics but in a very approachable way to the West.

I don't get it.

Why doesn't DQ sell anyway? It's oozing charm. It's accessible. It's quality product. It has Japanese aesthetics but in a very approachable way to the West.

I don't get it.

People often feel like it's just too slow paced. Also, we live in a age where people think turn based RPGs are actual design flaws that absolutely have to be fixed. Combine that with how low budget and simple a lot of Dragon Quest games are (like VII having barely any distinction between present and past) AND a lack of marketing and you'll pretty much have what's happening.

Which is a damn shame, I got hooked into this series just because it's so charming and innocent. I really hope DQ Builders did at least somewhat well because that game is really well polished and is another genre. I'm also hoping DQ8 sells well because of nostalgia.

Raw64life

I don't get it.

30 years of poor marketing by Enix/Square. You can go all the way back to the NES Dragon Warrior games to see how badly they have mishandled the series in the west from day one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

I don't get it.

Lots of factors actually:

- 3DS is past its prime, where the only title that can actually sell these days for the 3DS is... Pokemon and MonHun.
- DQVII was released before in English at an unfortunate time too.
- DQVII was released at a packed schedule (September-October).
- In regards to mainline DQ games, only the newest installments will sell well relatively, post-DQVIII. DQVIII did well, DQIX did well, I think DQXI will do fine.

GLAMr

I'm about 14 hours in, just beat the
automatons
. My characters are in the mid teen levels. Am I far off getting he job system? Should I be further along in the game by 14 hours?

Jay RaR

Code:
6h6 hours ago
Astronaut Claire &#8207;@AstronautClaire

I did my part, as this was the first DQ game I bought lol. Sucks that its getting abysmal sales especially with how huge the game is and getting stellar reviews but I can think of a few factors why it bombed:

• Too long
  • Being out of the spotlight for so long
  • Graphics?

Very interested too see how DQVIII 3D will fare, without Persona 5 breathing down its neck and with the Switch being imminent.

I did my part, as this was the first DQ game I bought lol. Sucks that its getting abysmal sales especially with how huge the game is and getting stellar reviews but I can think of a few factors why it bombed:

• Too long
  • Being out of the spotlight for so long
  • Graphics?

Very interested too see how DQVIII 3D will fare, without Persona 5 breathing down its neck and with the Switch being imminent.

The graphics were fine. Especially for the system.

I agree about the spotlight tho.

We should just breed and indoctrinate our children with Slime plushies from an early age.

I tried this and the resultant offspring only likes Rocket Slime out of every Dragon Quest game or spinoff that I own. Overall, this experiment was a wash.

On the other hand, the Pokémon indoctrination went swimmingly.

Oof...

That makes me really really sad, even more after SE said they were considering bringing more DQ to the West. We really don't deserve it...

Time to restart learning japanese I guess

Given past trends of DQ in the west I'm pretty certain they didn't expect the game to fare much better than this, but they went ahead anyway (even in a split bill scenario with Nintendo).

Top Bottom