• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Heavily considering building my whip attribute, but I love swords so much :lol

edit: swords it is, because I'm thinking metal slash will come in handy later.

Soroc

Got my copy at TRU today. I knew about the 15 dollar giftcard but did everyone else get the game for 19.99 too? I couldn't believe it when she rung it up and game me my giftcard that all I owed was 20 bucks.

Best damn 20 bucks I've spent in awhile, only put 2 hours in but I'm already in love :lol

Once I saw that pink hair was an option, I couldn't resist...
10mqyc1.jpg

Not quite perfect but eh, it'll do. :D
Now, to find some green pants...

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/usr/1/13254/jimmy-dean-pancake-sausage-chocolate-chip-736804.0.jpg

Let it never be forgotten.[/QUOTE]
What the hell is wrong with you!!!!!!

Every time!!!!

cmon!!!

Gravijah

Aeana said:
I want to see more character photo posts! :(

I'm still unsure if I should make a male or female main character... Ah who am I kidding, female it is! :D

Boney said:
What the hell is wrong with you!!!!!!

Every time!!!!

cmon!!!

Don't you have some sucking and blowing to be doing?

Philthy

Himuro said:
DQ games are traditional rpgs that emphasize adventure. Think Chrono Trigger.

It was a fair question, all the store stands and advertising list the amount of loot in the game as a primary feature. There are news articles saying the designers were inspired by Diablo and Oblivion. Yes, they've upped the loot considerably. but it's still a DQ game at heart.

As for the battles being faster. I don't see it. If anything, they're slower than 8. I was playing it last week in preparation for this, and 9 is SLOW. The text is slow, the battles are slow, everything is slow.

I still love it so far, though.

Yaweee

Philthy said:
As for the battles being faster. I don't see it. If anything, they're slower than 8. I was playing it last week in preparation for this, and 9 is SLOW. The text is slow, the battles are slow, everything is slow.

Yeah, it's sooo slow. I can't even say much about the battle speed, but holy fuck at the text crawl.

Plus, the grace period of not having the necessarily long and repetitive save dialogue has come to an end. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Aeana

Philthy said:
It was a fair question, all the store stands and advertising list the amount of loot in the game as a primary feature. There are news articles saying the designers were inspired by Diablo and Oblivion. Yes, they've upped the loot considerably. but it's still a DQ game at heart.

Battles are definitely faster than 8, but it's primarily due to lack of load times. They could stand to be way faster, but I blame the people who claim they can't get into RPGs unless they can see their characters. You guys got your wish.

Text speed is perfect for me.

Got my copy! Went and actually traded in some stuff I didn't want, and got it basically for free, paid $1.99 to even out the $5 preorder on Etrian Odyssey 3 :D

Kad5

Im so excited to get this today!

Im actually gonna be visiting Germany and Iran so this game will be perfect for the plane rides!

Ill try to put it on tag mode a lot too.

thefil

Aeana said:
Battles are definitely faster than 8, but it's primarily due to lack of load times. They could stand to be way faster, but I blame the people who claim they can't get into RPGs unless they can see their characters. You guys got your wish.

Text speed is perfect for me.

Yeah, I definitely find the battles slow as the last three DQs I played were 4/5/7.

Aeana

ITA84 said:
Isn't there a text speed option? Or even that isn't fast enough?
DQ games don't tend to have message speed options (though some do) - just battle text speed. 9 has neither.

I don't see what the big deal is though; the speed is fine to me.

EDIT: Although the framerate drops DO affect text scroll, which is unfortunate.

Philthy

Aeana said:
I don't see what the big deal is though; the speed is fine to me.

It's probably the slowest text scroll i've seen in a game. The fact that pushing a button doesn't speed it up, nor an option to set it faster is... annoying.

Aeana

Philthy said:
It's probably the slowest text scroll i've seen in a game. The fact that pushing a button doesn't speed it up, nor an option to set it faster is... annoying.
Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk are two games I can think of right off the top of my head with much, much slower text. DQ9's is pretty natural to me.

ITA84

Aeana said:
DQ games don't tend to have message speed options (though some do) - just battle text speed. 9 has neither.
:/

Come to think of it, I saw some battle videos where buff spells were slowed down a bit by the text. Definitely not a deal breaker, but I'm going to miss it.

Aeana

Anyway, I'm sorry you guys are finding it annoying, and I hope it doesn't negatively impact your experience too much.

Now post character photos.

I have to work until 7 tonight and the place I preordered from closes at 6. Have to wait all the way until 10 tomorrow morning to get my DQ9. :(

Kaldea

14tx25f.jpg

My webcam is awful. :lol I obviously just started, but really fun so far!

And thank goodness this game has at least one hairstyle I like. :lol I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to hair customization.

Gravijah said:
Not one bit. Also, I thought the lower 3DS screen was the size of a phat DS' screens?

And... Madcatz just made those fightpads with good d-pads, didn't they? :lol

Because GAF interest is a fantastic parallel to real commercial success. And yeah it is, but the XL is twice as big as that, so it's still really nice!

I dunno, I'm recalling the terrible offbrand 64 and ps1 controllers. Madkatz came to mind.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Freyjadour said:
It's fast enough for me to like it. VIII's was achingly slow.
In Retrospect, I don't recall 8 being slow, but I haven't played it in years. Though I think I may of been comparing it to the NES version of Dragon Warrior 1 at the time where I had to use the menu to go down stairs.

Kaldea said:
14tx25f.jpg

My webcam is awful. :lol I obviously just started, but really fun so far!

And thank goodness this game has at least one hairstyle I like. :lol I'm ridiculously picky when it comes to hair customization.
Some of the Toriyama hairstyles just don't translate as well to the DS graphics. In the drawn art they look really cool :/

Drkirby said:
In Retrospect, I don't recall 8 being slow, but I haven't played it in years. Though I think I may of been comparing it to the NES version of Dragon Warrior 1 at the time where I had to use the menu to go down stairs.

Recent games have spoiled me on battle speeds :(. Legend of Legaia battles made me cry a few months back.

Chocoboko

Ya, as soon as I could I created 3 other party members....not sure if that is best or not but it has made the fights a lot easier.

EDIT: err this is in response to Door2Dawn.

Gravijah

Freyjadour said:
Because GAF interest is a fantastic parallel to real commercial success. And yeah it is, but the XL is twice as big as that, so it's still really nice!

I dunno, I'm recalling the terrible offbrand 64 and ps1 controllers. Madkatz came to mind.

Trust me I understood your madcatz complaints, it's just recently they've turned themselves around. In regards to GAF=commercial success... Not quite. :lol

Chocoboko said:
Ya, as soon as I could I created 3 other party members....not sure if that is best or not but it has made the fights a lot easier.

EDIT: err this is in response to Door2Dawn.

Do you always create 3 other people or can you like... recruit three randomly generated from the pub or what?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Gravijah said:
Trust me I understood your madcatz complaints, it's just recently they've turned themselves around. In regards to GAF=commercial success... Not quite. :lol
Yeah, its one of the most jarring things to me. "Wait, Madcatz, the maker of controllers that would break by looking at them wrong and barely worked to start, now produces the highest quality mass market controllers? This is a joke, right?"

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I survived my 11 hour flight to Israel, and got my iPhone connected to my family's wifi. Not much new to report. I'm about two hours on, and supposed to be looking for one Patty. But honestly, I'm having fun farming gold to buy the surprisingly robust selection of equipment available in the first town.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how quickly this thread seems to be growing!

Aeana said:
I had a hard time coming up with party member names, but fortunately I do at least have names I use for male and female heroes in all RPGs, so I never have to worry about that.

In games with character create modes, I tend to go with the following:
Male tank type: Rath-En
Female thief (or fighter/mage hybrid) type: Theusse
Female healer type: Firinel
Male mage type: Diamede

Even if I wind up dual-classing (whe supported by the game), I tend to stick with the above. For example, if both Firinel and Diamede eventually grow into both healers and mages, Firinel will remain my primary healer, with Diamede maining in offensive magic and only providing backup support as needed.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Picked up a copy from Toys R Us (yay promotional credit!). Also checked out Walmart and Target for unrelated things and I noticed that they didn't have the game out or any mention of it at all. Makes me wonder if corporate gave them the wrong release date. Best Buy has a shit-ton of copies prominently displayed though.

Gravijah said:

Do you always create 3 other people or can you like... recruit three randomly generated from the pub or what?
I think we're in agreement on the gaf interest thing and misunderstanding each other. :lol

Work is gonna be hell this week.

botticus

Mejilan said:
Well, I survived my 11 hour flight to Israel, and got my iPhone connected to my family's wifi. Not much new to report. I'm about two hours on, and supposed to be looking for one Patty. But honestly, I'm having fun farming gold to buy the surprisingly robust selection of equipment available in the first town.
Yeah, I'm generally not in a big hurry to get to the next point since I'd like to fancy up my equipment. And of course I'm getting pretty beat up in the dungeon I'm supposed to be digging through, so I'm often making trips back to town anyway.

Gravijah said:
When you unlock the option to recruit/create characters, there are three characters premade that you can choose instead of creating your own.

I'm glad the character I made seems to "fit" with the general atmosphere of the game. But I dunno, maybe that pretty much applies to every possible character :lol

Top Bottom