• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Philthy

Drkirby said:
In Retrospect, I don't recall 8 being slow, but I haven't played it in years. Though I think I may of been comparing it to the NES version of Dragon Warrior 1 at the time where I had to use the menu to go down stairs.

It's because 8 wasn't slow. You could push a button to skip through it all.

This game also eats through a fully charged DS battery really, really fast.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, just got back from BestBuy and you would think this game doesn't even exist! They had no promotional materials out, the game wasn't on shelves at all. I had to ask a clerk to look from the backroom if they even had any shipped to them. Pretty unreal given it's a Nintendo-published product. No strategy guides at all either, I guess they just didn't bother to order any?

Oh well, I have it and am about to start.

Brandon F said:
Wow, just got back from BestBuy and you would think this game doesn't even exist! They had no promotional materials out, the game wasn't on shelves at all. I had to ask a clerk to look from the backroom if they even had any shipped to them.

Oh come on. It's a jrpg for the Nintendo DS. If it were the new Call of Duty you would have been able to buy it in the goddamn parking lot

JKTrix

My character abut 8 hours ago
ev0uqe.jpg

Every time one of my party members is ready for a 'Coup de Grace', it's in the middle of a round and my next guy kills the last enemy :( I wanna see it!

Also, I like when RPGs let me play most of the game one-handed. Move with D-pad, Confirm Selections with L button. I just had lunch while grinding outside Coffinwell.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
brandonh83 said:
Oh come on. It's a jrpg for the Nintendo DS. If it were the new Call of Duty you would have been able to buy it in the goddamn parking lot

Yea, but it's Nintendo published and marketed. Sin and Punishment got more love recently. Just a bit surprising is all.

Yottamole

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
...any particular reason why they removed the orchestrated version of the overture from the game intro?
I'm wondering about that too...the Japanese trailers all had the orchestrated version, but the NA trailers didn't. Both DQ4+5 kept their symphonic intros when released worldwide, so why can't DQ9? Maybe it's an licensing issue with Tokyo Symphonic Orchestra? Hope this doesn't happen with DQ6...
vagabondarts said:
I love seeing everyone's enthusiasm. I really hope it sells well. I think the last time DQ was in north america on a nintendo platform was 1990?

GLORIOUS RETURN!
Well, there have been a consistent stream of DQ games for the Nintendo handhelds...I think one of the last games that were playable on the original Gameboy released in NA was Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, in 2002.

My Best Buy had tons of copies on the rack. A lot of America's Test Kitchen too. Those two games took up like 60 percent of the DS area.

How's equipment handled? Are you free to put anything on any character or are there level/stat restrictions?

Edit: Just for a bit of info, here in the UK, DQ9's being featured alongside Style Boutique and Professor Layton in Nintendo's yearly 'play stuff on your summer holidays' ads. We'll see if they do specific ads for it closer to the release.

JKTrix

Die Squirrel Die said:
How's equipment handled? Are you free to put anything on any character or are there level/stat restrictions?

Just job/gender restrictions. The gender restrictions are not too common so far.

Max

I am not Max
Die Squirrel Die said:
Just class restrictions, and some gender ones that are obvious

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Oh yay yay my copy shipped yesterday an I didn't even know since I'm lazy about checking mail! Should I be running through 3 rpgs simultaneously or let this one sit once it gets ta me?

Gravijah

Lindsay said:
Oh yay yay my copy shipped yesterday an I didn't even know since I'm lazy about checking mail! Should I be running through 3 rpgs simultaneously or let this one sit once it gets ta me?

What are the other two?

Aeana said:
What does playing as a female have to do with sword skill?

Was curious myself, then again...

brandonh83 said:
ended up naming my character Luna, yeah I'm a Potter nerd. but hey, my bitch looks just like her!

OMG

She's such a dumb, er... brunette.

WOW

Aeana

brandonh83 said:
I'm playing as a female, is it bad for me to put a lot of points into my sword skill or should I be dumping them on something else?

Door2Dawn

Banned
What the hell am I doing. :lol

So some questions:

1. I want my hero to be a warrior, how do I do this?

2. I assume magical mending= +healing, and magical might = + magic damage?

Aeana said:

I dunno I just saw people talking about gender restrictions, didn't know if that applied to skills.

Oh, and how do you get that treasure
blocked by rubble in the Hexagon dungeon past the boss?

Aeana

Door2Dawn said:
What the hell am I doing. :lol

So some questions:

1. I want my hero to be a warrior, how do I do this?

2. I assume magical mending= +healing, and magical might = + magic damage?
You can't change classes until a bit later.

And yes.

brandonh83 said:
I'm playing as a female, is it bad for me to put a lot of points into my sword skill or should I be dumping them on something else?
Yes, very bad. You're supposed to be putting those points into nail painting and hair styling. Duh!

Pretty sure there are no gender skill restrictions dude lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gravijah said:
What are the other two?

Glory of Heracles on the DS and Persona 1 on PSP (with an obsessive dash of Phantasy Star Portable on the side)! I'm at the very beginning of both of those games to... >.<;

Gravijah

Lindsay said:
Glory of Heracles on the DS and Persona 1 on PSP (with an obsessive dash of Phantasy Star Portable on the side)! I'm at the very beginning of both of those games to... >.<;

Put them down, play PSP and DQIX, when you beat DQIX and are just doing side quests and stuff, pick up one of the other two.

Easystride said:
Been playing for about an hour and a half so far, and I'm loving it. Would it be wise to hang on to all old equipment for alchemy?
You're safe selling very old gear, otherwise yes. There are LOTS of recipes.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF-----

MIND

BLOWN

page or two ago I asked about the treasure blocked by rubble in the Hexagon. no one responded, so I said fuck it. well, I continue on with the story, get to the new world map area after the train fuckup, and I go exploring a bit to find some ruins and a staircase. I'm like well this isn't smart... it's some advanced dungeon probably... wait... this is familiar--- HOLY FUCK ITS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BLOCKED TREASURE

people, this is how it is done. this game just hit the start button on the brandonh83 fuck yeah machine and its got a full tank of gas

Jeels

I got the game Saturday but had a party so couldn't play much. I'm at the part
where you just find out Patty has gone missing so you go to that one dungeon thats not the blocked hill but the other way to that stone town
game gets better right.

Aeana

Jeels said:
I got the game Saturday but had a party so couldn't play much. I'm at the part
where you just find out Patty has gone missing so you go to that one dungeon thats not the blocked hill but the other way to that stone town
game gets better right.
Nah.

JKTrix said:
They are.

Oh wow, didn't even realize :lol

I never took a good look at them since I just assume they were all 3D because the main character and few others are. That's a pretty awesome blend of character models.

Chocoboko

Could someone explain the WiFi store to me. Do these 6 or so items that are available change everyday? If I don't buy them today will they begone tomorrow when I re-update the store? Thanks!

Hex

Banned
Chocoboko said:
Could someone explain the WiFi store to me. Do these 6 or so items that are available change everyday? If I don't buy them today will they begone tomorrow when I re-update the store? Thanks!

From what I understand and someone else can fill in better, the items can change daily and some will stay the same.
Some items will only show on certain days or times, also your shop and someone else's will be different so if you wifi with someone check their shop and you can find things you may not get yourself.

Got a hold of my camera to take some pics. Sorry about the quality of my character pic; I was having trouble focusing.
2zeklzc.jpg

And now I just need Dragon Quest VI!
mu96p4.jpg

jamska

Neo Member
brandonh83 said:
Playing portable games makes me so sleepy, like when I read a book :lol

Isn't that just the worst? It could be the middle of the day and I'd tell myself, "alright! I'll lay in bed and lazily play <X> for a few hours". Ten minutes later, I'm dozing off. :lol

Salsa

2u411dv.jpg

Greatest picture ever.

Loving it so far. A bit too easy for a Dragon Quest game though. Im actually playing it wireless with a friend, just the two of us, no AI party, and its still really easy. Does it get harder later on ?

edit: another question, is there way for me to transfer equipment to my friend ? it seems im only able to transfer regular objects, and since we are planning on playing the whole game this way, with him unable to open red chests, this would be helpful :lol

Top Bottom