• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

eznark said:
Lame, why don't they say how much exp you need to level up anymore
Anymore? You've had to go to a church to find that out in every DQ game.
That said, the priest class (I think) learns the ability to tell you anywhere.

JKTrix

eznark said:
Lame, why don't they say how much exp you need to level up anymore

Divination. Church Priest can do it for you, or you can get your own priest in your party to learn it.
Edit: It's the 'Faith' skill, first thing you learn when you rank-up in there.

Just now:
6pxa14.jpg

eznark

Banned
Aeana said:
Anymore? You've had to go to a church to find that out in every DQ game.
That said, the priest class (I think) learns the ability to tell you anywhere.
Ah yes, forgot that tidbit

Vamphuntr

I'm so jealous seeing all of you playing it :(. Ordered it online since I couldn't find it in stores around here. Should be here on tuesday. Time to play something else meanwhile.

Oxx

I might have to bow out of this thread now. The pics are making me jealous and I don't want to see too much, too early.

See you in 12 days!

BooJoh

Vamphuntr said:
I'm so jealous seeing all of you playing it :(. Ordered it online since I couldn't find it in stores around here. Should be here on tuesday. Time to play something else meanwhile.
I feel your pain, man.

Going to see about finishing Patapon 2 while I wait.

Easystride said:
And now I just need Dragon Quest VI!
Nice. I just finally ordered DQIV, but I'm having trouble locating a copy of V.

jamska said:
Isn't that just the worst? It could be the middle of the day and I'd tell myself, "alright! I'll lay in bed and lazily play <X> for a few hours". Ten minutes later, I'm dozing off. :lol

I've been doing it all day. I'm like ffffffff this game is awesomeezzzzz zzzz

damn, DQV is $64.95 on Amazon :lol

JKTrix

HOLY CRAP IS THIS GAME ABOUT JESUS
Edit: spoiler'd just in case.

Also, Zoom get. And it doesn't cost any MP! Yay!

So I recall some sort of "trick" to allocating skill points? My question is, do I really need to worry about anything like this, or can I just enjoy the game, allocating skill points as I go along and see fit?

Oh, love the game so far!

Aeana

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So I recall some sort of "trick" to allocating skill points? My question is, do I really need to worry about anything like this, or can I just enjoy the game, allocating skill points as I go along and see fit?

Oh, love the game so far!
The only trick I know if is that you can save skill points earned on one class and spend them on another. There should be plenty of points in the game, though.

Aeana said:
The only trick I know if is that you can save skill points earned on one class and spend them on another. There should be plenty of points in the game, though.

Well if there's plenty of skill points to go around, then I won't worry. Thanks for the info!

BlueWord

Put in about two hours earlier, enjoying it, so far. I always love the beginning of DQ games, where you can really see the leap in power after just an hour or two of playing.

Localization seems alright, perhaps a little less flavorful than the other DS games. Hard for me to say, so far. Sandy definitely seems less outrageous and annoying, though that just might be a limitation of the English language; I just know that, in the JPN version, I had a hell of a time understanding a lot of what she said.

Hoping this sells well.

Aeana

Done for today, so update time!

QNRrU.jpg

Love my cute new dress!

Oh, and fffffffffff the armamentalist unlock quest. I finally finished it, but it was a nightmare. I know there are much worse quests in the game, too. (._. )

methos75

Banned
BlueWord said:
Put in about two hours earlier, enjoying it, so far. I always love the beginning of DQ games, where you can really see the leap in power after just an hour or two of playing.

Localization seems alright, perhaps a little less flavorful than the other DS games. Hard for me to say, so far. Sandy definitely seems less outrageous and annoying, though that just might be a limitation of the English language; I just know that, in the JPN version, I had a hell of a time understanding a lot of what she said.

Hoping this sells well.

Not in DQ7 lol, even after 10 hours you still feel weak as hell

Aeana

BlueWord said:

Hoping this sells well.
Localization is much more in line with DQ8 than the DS games, which is a huge plus to me.
Also, Sandy was ridiculous in Japanese and I'm so glad they only brought her attitude over and not her manner-of-speaking. That alone makes the English version the superior one.

Okay, I'm at level 9 and im at the part where
I just saved Patty from the hexagoon,
and I love this game. But does it seem a little easy to anyone else? I mean leveling up is going fast as well as enemies dying easily......

Slime

Banned
My only gripe with the game so far is the big "Jouez en Français" logo on the front of the case. Couldn't they have put it in a less annoying place? For example, somewhere where it doesn't semi-ruin the great cover art? I'm totally jealous of all you Americans right now.

But yeah, I'm completely lost in this game right now. In the sense that I'm enraptured in all its charming brilliance. :D

Salsa

KeioSquad2 said:
and I love this game. But does it seem a little easy to anyone else? I mean leveling up is going fast as well as enemies dying easily......

Yep, see my post above.

Im not even playing with a 4 player full party. Just me and a friend.

KeioSquad2 said:
It gets harder post 2/3 of the main game, but not NES/SNES hard.

The challenge comes from the treasure maps mostly after you finish the storyline.

Teknoman

Enemies were pretty easy in every recent DQ game early on. Just like every RPG, its not going to be a cakewalk forever.

They cant just blitz you with enemies right from the start.

Jeels

Aeana said:
The game starts out pretty easy, but doesn't stay that way.

Thanks, I was getting scared that they'd dumbed it down for mass appeal, but if its only at the beginning, I don't mind, and its in fact a good idea.

Gravijah

Grumble grumble...

That's what I get for saying screw TRU and trying to buy the game at K-Mart. Ah well, I'll journey to Wal Mart later.

Had a four player co-op session going on for a few hours until my DSi's battery died on me. Gotta say it was a lot of fun, more than I would have imagined. I wasn't certain how taking turns in a turn based rpg would be as a cooperative multiplayer experience, but overall it was just a lot of fun. The shift to Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker's encounter system--visible enemies on the world map who will run at or away from you depending on your level--instead of the traditional random encounters works out really well in the multiplayer experience. I like how you can roam independtly, be summoned to the host, be pulled into scrums or join one in progress if you're late to the party.

The only complaint I have is that it took about two hours to get to the point where we could play co-cooperatively, but we still couldn't choose what job classes we wanted to play as. I can't wait to play the game where people really start having diverse skill sets and abilities.

Yaweee

I couldn't stomach the frame rate with 4 party members, so I dropped down to 3.

It shouldn't be too bad. I'm going with the same multi-target style build that I used in DQ8 (who cares about battle speed if you win all random battles in 2~3 hits?) Whips with the Hero, Mage focusing on spellpower, and a Fist Martial Artist (it looks like they get the free multi-target spells that Yangus got when he used fists).

The text speed is still obnoxious. How any developer can go with text crawls like that is beyond me.

I didn't even notice any framerate drops while playing 4 player co-op, but I was only half paying attention to the game while playing, doing integral things like Hot Lick and Pratfall.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Is the text speed only a problem in battles or in out of battle text boxes as well?
This isn't a deal breaker for me but it would help temper my expectations.

ryan-ts

So Ricki in Stornway at a cathedral wants me to do some party tricks: pirouette, clap, jump and air punch but when I do that for her, nothing happens. Can someone help?

edit: Nevermind I got it!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I picked up the new DSi XL Blue this evening. My eyes aren't what they used to be.:lol My daughter and I have very high hopes for this game.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
The text speed to me does feel a little slow, which is to say that it is not Instant, as I prefer my RPG text. But it is still quite manageable and even rather speedy compared to some other non-skippable dialog-laden efforts. This is no Xenogears, at least.

Big One

Banned
Serenade said:
Is the text speed only a problem in battles or in out of battle text boxes as well?
This isn't a deal breaker for me but it would help temper my expectations.
Well just speaking for myself, the text speed is rather normal. It's a lot faster than most older RPGs without any control over text speed, but not as fast as past DQ games when you set it to the fastest speeds. Personally, I never noticed. The only thing I did notice that others have pointed out in this thread is the lagging framerates. Even that is pushing it since it only happens every once in a while. Maybe it runs better on a DSi cause I'm using my DSLite.

Ricker

Off the beaten path treasures...check :D
Pots to break open...check. :D

That`s all I needed ;)...seriously though,still early on but the game is awesome,reminds of Blue Dragon at times,which I adored as well...good stuff.

Aeana

Synless said:
I noticed many of you were using fans, do fans have some good stats that I should be going for?
Fans have a good skill that hits like 6 times or something like that, but the primary reason I'm going for them is that the secret book for fans gives access to
the hustle dance skill, which is a free full-party heal.

Kad5

Ok so I have to say that this is my favorite Dragon Quest out of the ones i've played (IV and V).

Is it possible to delete abilities?

I put skill points into a fan ability im probably not gonna even use.

JKTrix

Synless said:
I noticed many of you were using fans, do fans have some good stats that I should be going for?

I dunno, I just want my guy to be a Martial Artist and a 'fan' is the only weapon that Martial Artists and Minstrels (starting class) share.

Aeana said:
Fans have a good skill that hits like 6 times or something like that, but the primary reason I'm going for them is that the secret book for fans gives access to
the hustle dance skill, which is a free full-party heal.

Oh wow.

Bentendo

Are there save spots in this game? 0_o

I just went from the first town, all the way over to the right side of the first map, went through a dungeon and beat a boss but the only save spot I could find was the one in the town. Is there something I'm missing?

Ricker

Bentendo said:

I just went from the first town, all the way over to the right side of the first map, went through a dungeon and beat a boss but the only save spot I could find was the one in the town. Is there something I'm missing?

There`s quick saves anytime from what I seen so far and usually you can save in Churches..

JKTrix

Bentendo said:

You can Quicksave anywhere (I think), but otherwise you just save in Churches.

Edit: Keep getting beaten!

In this game, when you die you don't lose any progress. You just lose half of your money, so don't be too distraught about being 'far from a save point' when you're about to die.

You can use items called Chimaera Wings to teleport you back to a city you've been to before, as long as your character is standing outside.

Aeana

Bentendo said:

Permanent saves can only be made at churches. The focus in DQ games is a little bit different than other RPGs, in that your ability to conserve resources is tested.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Big One said:
Well just speaking for myself, the text speed is rather normal. It's a lot faster than most older RPGs without any control over text speed, but not as fast as past DQ games when you set it to the fastest speeds. Personally, I never noticed. The only thing I did notice that others have pointed out in this thread is the lagging framerates. Even that is pushing it since it only happens every once in a while. Maybe it runs better on a DSi cause I'm using my DSLite.
Thanks. I guess the text speed is okay because I do tend to read everything in RPGs if the dialogue or mythology is interesting.

Framerate slowdown is a non-issue for me, thankfully.

Top Bottom