• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana said:
Fans have a good skill that hits like 6 times or something like that, but the primary reason I'm going for them is that the secret book for fans gives access to
the hustle dance skill, which is a free full-party heal.

so give it to me straight, I should use a fan as my weapon and put all my skillpoints into fans? How soon does this awesome skill become available?

Philthy

Serenade said:
Is the text speed only a problem in battles or in out of battle text boxes as well?
This isn't a deal breaker for me but it would help temper my expectations.

Mostly all of them. It is by no means a deal breaker at all, it's just one of those things that make you scratch your head that if they had 200 play testers, not a single one smacked a dev upside the head because of it.

Edit: Old people in this game look like horrific zombies. lol

Aeana

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
so give it to me straight, I should use a fan as my weapon and put all my skillpoints into fans? How soon does this awesome skill become available?
When you get a weapon skill to level 100, a quest becomes available for you to do which gets you the secret book for that weapon. Then you can do it whenever you're able. I think, anyway; I haven't actually done it myself yet.

That said, you should do whatever you want!

Eteric Rice

Guys! Hey guys! Listen!

I have a question!

Guys, listen!

The attribute points system, it scares me! Can attributes be reset, or at least, can they be maxxed at the end of the game?

Because attribute systems drive me insane when they can't be changed. :|

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Aeana said:
Done for today, so update time!

Love my cute new dress!

Oh, and fffffffffff the armamentalist unlock quest. I finally finished it, but it was a nightmare. I know there are much worse quests in the game, too. (._. )

Is it weird that a grueling quest like that sounds like the perfect way to spend an evening to me?

: (

Aeana

Eteric Rice said:
Guys! Hey guys! Listen!

I have a question!

Guys, listen!

The attribute points system, it scares me! Can attributes be reset, or at least, can they be maxxed at the end of the game?

Because attribute systems drive me insane when they can't be changed. :|
They can't be reset as far as I know, but there are plenty of skill points in the game. And skill points you earn on one class can be spent on another, too, if you like. I haven't done the math, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were enough skill points to master every skill on each character, due to overlaps (multiple classes having swords, for example), but I could be wrong.

Bentendo

Wait wait wait. Back up. So if I die, I won't actually loose all of my experience points and won't loose all of my items that I earned in between saving and dying? That's the only thing I'm really worried about

Aeana

Bentendo said:
Wait wait wait. Back up. So if I die, I won't actually loose all of my experience points and won't loose all of my items that I earned in between saving and dying? That's the only thing I'm really worried about
Correct. You will only lose half of the gold you're carrying. If you habitually throw your money in the bank, then you won't really lose much at all.

Bentendo

Aeana said:
Correct. You will only lose half of the gold you're carrying. If you habitually throw your money in the bank, then you won't really lose much at all.

That's wonderful news! Heck, it's probably even better news because by the time you get back to where you stumbled, you would have probably accumulated enough experience points to gain a level or two and get past what killed you (and, of course, prepare more by getting items that you realized on your journey that you needed).

Yeah, I'm a bit paralyzed at the moment about what to throw stat points at too. Swords would seem obvious for metal slash, but..so boring...hmm. I guess it's probably worth it regardless.

Quick question (didn't see anything in the manual, and apologize if it's obvious)

What does the red triangle on the zoomed out world map stand for? I thought it might be your recommended next destination, but it's pointing to a dungeon I've already completed.

I actually like the boss theme. At first I thought it was kind of empty and simplistic but it's oddly effective and memorable to me now.

john tv

Himuro said:
- The fact that monsters move while you've got the menu open wtf
Has to be that way, or multiplayer would be full of annoying pauses while waiting for other people to do their business in the menu.

Salsa

Damn this idea of playing through the whole game with a friend is killing me :lol we agreed in not spending any SP time so things wont get unbalanced and boring and/or miss part of the story, etc.. but i wanna play nooooooow.

Himuro said:
Also, sprites being mixed with real time sprites is totally weird

Yeah, i dont like it either.

Understandable thoug if the word is that the game drops framerate at a 4 characters party. Cant imagine if all the NPC`s had a polycount.

Gravijah said:
Do you learn different weapons with each job, or is it uh... Well, how exactly does it work?

Each job has a set of weapons, but there's overlap. So like if you're a Minstrel and put 50 points into Swords, then change to a Warrior (which can also use Swords), you'll still have those 50 points in Swords.

Philthy

ryan-ts said:
So Ricki in Stornway at a cathedral wants me to do some party tricks: pirouette, clap, jump and air punch but when I do that for her, nothing happens. Can someone help?

edit: Nevermind I got it!

How did you do it? I assigned all 4, did them in a row and... nothing.

Edit: Oh god I can't read well. I got it... READ

I love it so far. I just got to Stornwall, and just got to turn on canvassing. I need to drive to the mall for something now. I'm certain I won't get anyone, but it's worth throwing in my pocket, I suppose.

Raw64life

The wait is killing me now but I can't complain too much when I'm getting it for $15 thanks to Amazon.

So is there a consensus on what the best starting party is class wise? I ask for the same reason I ask this anytime I play a game with classes in it, that being that I'm afraid of what I might miss out on if I don't pick a certain class.

bluemax

Banned
I just wiped at
Lleviathan
. My Priest had her Coup De Grace ready but he got off an attack that hit my whole party first :(

I really wish the Lava Rock would be harvestable more often. I want to Alchemize some more weapons.

Synless

Himuro said:
Been staring at my screen for like 5 minutes. Don't know whether or not to get my priest robes or armor....hell, I have that issue with weapons, but you can change weapons mid-battle, so that's no issue.
I bought my priest armor. I figured why the hell not. My mage can get stuck with shitty robes.

Effect

Is the starting vocation always the same?

Loving the game so far. Just made it the next town. The game has a certain charm to it. The having to go to the church to save isn't annoying me as much as I thought it would either.

Fewr

Not too far, I can't remember exactly, but I think it's shortly after you finish all the main story stuff for Stornway.

Forkball

I'll pick up this game sometime this week. I've only played DQ III and IV. III I don't really remember, but I enjoyed IV due to its emphasis on exploration and interesting characters. I hope IX is in the same vein. I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of online co-op though, it seems like a huge missed opportunity.

kai3345

Banned
So I finally got past the tutorial and I have a few questions.

Is there any way I can stop myself from gaining experience so I can catch my party up and then level them all at once?

and

Where do I go to download the weekly DLC quests? And has that even started yet?

also

Where is the shop with random items every week?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
kai3345 said:

Is there any way I can stop myself from gaining experience so I can catch my party up and then level them all at once?

and

also

I don't think so, however I was lvl 10 when I picked up and made my party members and they caught up pretty fast due to the time it takes to go up in level. By the time I hit level 17 on my main, they were only 2 levels behind.

kai3345 said:

and

also

No, but don't worry, they'll catch up fast.

Stornway. I don't think so.

Stornway.

kai3345

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
No, but don't worry, they'll catch up fast.

Stornway. I don't think so.

Stornway.
I know, but where in Stornway? I've talked to everyone in the Inn and the rest of the buildings are just shops

Well, it seems everyone is way ahead of me already, but I've been taking my time, talking to everyone, that sort of thing, so I'm not too far into the game, but I am loving it.

I didn't really follow this game closely prior to release. I wanted most of it to be a surprise, and so for some reason when I read that it had the same graphics engine as Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, I was a bit worried, as I took that to meaning it would share more than just the look with that game: I didn't care for how close the camera was in Joker, among other things. Thankfully, it still retains the same general look of the main games, only in 3D. I really do love the look of the game, although I haven't gotten four party members yet, so I can't comment on any lag or anything like that.

Also, headphones+this game=bliss
I loved the theme in the Celestial Observatory in particular.

Oh, and
GaimeGuy said:
BENEVOLESSENCE
YES

I haven't taken a picture yet, as I'm only up to the Hexagon, so my character is still wearing leather everything. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have some cooler gear.

kai3345 said:
I know, but where in Stornway? I've talked to everyone in the Inn and the rest of the buildings are just shops
The Inn is where it all happens. Did you talk to everyone at the counters? I don't remember if everything opens up the first time you get there.

EzLink

Banned
The nintendo power review mentioned that if you are playing through this game solo (which I will be) then most of the post game content stuff isn't worthwhile. Is this true?

kai3345

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
The Inn is where it all happens. Did you talk to everyone at the counters? I don't remember if everything opens up the first time you get there.
Theres some red barrier rope things blocking the entrance to stairs upstairs and downstairs. So I'm assuming that's them, anyone have any idea when those become available?

EzLink said:
The nintendo power review mentioned that if you are playing through this game solo (which I will be) then most of the post game content stuff isn't worthwhile. Is this true?
I disagree strongly, but it is important to unlock maps via tag mode or cheating if you want a good variety of tough post-game dungeons. Even without that, as long as you have Wi-Fi, you'll still have a feed of weekly quests that adds up to pretty much the same amount of time as the main quest, with many of those quests having story elements.

kai3345 said:
Theres some red barrier rope things blocking the entrance to stairs upstairs and downstairs. So I'm assuming that's them, anyone have any idea when those become available?
Nah, the red barrier ropes are blocking off sections that will only open once you tag a certain number of people. Though the one leading downstairs might open up later for another reason. Access to the store and the downloadable stuff should all be at the main counter.

EzLink

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I disagree strongly, but it is important to unlock maps via tag mode or cheating if you want a good variety of tough post-game dungeons. Even without that, as long as you have Wi-Fi, you'll still have a feed of weekly quests that adds up to pretty much the same amount of time as the main quest, with many of those quests having story elements.

Dammit. I don't know a single other soul who is buying this game, so the only way to get a bunch of extra maps is through cheating? Basically I can't experience important content unless i happen to run into someone with the game in tag mode? That is incredibly unlikely where I live. I hate when devs pull shit like that

Oh well, I'll still enjoy the game I'm sure. I'm very excited to play it

EzLink said:
Dammit. I don't know a single other soul who is buying this game, so the only way to get a bunch of extra maps is through cheating? Basically I can't experience important content unless i happen to run into someone with the game in tag mode? That is incredibly unlikely where I live. I hate when devs pull shit like that

Oh well, I'll still enjoy the game I'm sure. I'm very excited to play it
Yeah, don't worry. There's still lots to do even if you never tag a soul. More content than the average RPG.

Done playing for the weekend and back to work :(.

Just finished unlocking Gladiator and Armamentalist, and wow, those two quests sucked! Also did a few of the Lvl 15 quests for the really nice armor. Loving how my Hero and Bow Armamentalist look.

34qplpe.jpg

110vpzp.jpg

24muwx2.jpg

2gv8183.jpg

STG!

Picked this game up on my way home from the beach and dumped a few hours into it so far, just finished exploring the town of Stornway. Soooooo good. My major concern going into IX was about how battles would play out not being random (which I personally like) in this one but so far I'm really impressed with how they handled it. When I feel like battling every few steps I feel like I can do so at an almost high encounter random-like pace, at least so far. Plus, the battle system seems pretty damn fast even with the battle animations which is nice since I recently went through I, II and III. The music so far is just wonderful. I love the battle theme.

Kind of interesting they went with 3D and sprites for characters/npc's, must have missed reading about that. I would have thought they would go with just 3D across the board but I guess not.

Can't wait to see how the story plays out. So far nothing but praise here for IX. :)

methos75 said:
So how does this one compare to 7?
They're pretty different. If you're just heading to the credits, DQ9 is about 25% of DQ7's length. If you're doing post game content but only doing it single player, DQ9 is about half to two thirds of DQ7's length. If you get into the multiplayer, it's probably going to give you twice as much as DQ7 did.

Battle system has some new stuff compared to 7, quality of the localisation is of course better, job system is considerably streamlined, party characters are created, not story-based, graphics are better, battles are a little slower cuz of the pretty.

Top Bottom