• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stencil said:
Went in to GameStop today and got practically laughed out of the store because "I didn't preorder?!?" I was seething with anger, they, as a video game specialty (read: ONLY) store, only get 4 copies of a major Squeenix/Nintendo release? They told me 3 of them were for preorders and the extra got sold. What a bunch of bullshit. Fuck that, is TrU still having their "Buy 1 get a $15 Gift Card" deal for DQIX? Or was that also for preorders??

/rant

Ugh, my store tries so hard to help change GameStop's rep, but I'm just one satellite store. That's strange though. I only had four reservations but ended up with 14 copies. Plenty for any walk ins.

Ended up picking up a DS XL and this game yesterday for my vacation this week. Don't let me down GAF!

bon

Which weapon is best for a priest? Having a hard time deciding what mine should specialize in. Also what is the difference between wands and staves?

Big One

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
'KILL METAL SLIMES AFTER USING WIZARD WARD! Oh yeah...YOUR WIZARD HAS TO LAND THE KILLING BLOW LULZ'.
Eh, this was easier for me than I thought it would be. All you need to do, really, is raise a Mage up to learn Wizard Ward, and a sword user (Warrior or the starting-class-that-I-forgot-the-name-of) with Metal Slash, and you practically got it down pact. That's all I had to do and it only took me around 15 minutes to complete which seems like a long time but you'll be spending most of your time trying to encounter Metal Slimes than killing them.

Raw64life

Raw64life said:
So is there a consensus on what the best starting party is class wise? I ask for the same reason I ask this anytime I play a game with classes in it, that being that I'm afraid of what I might miss out on if I don't pick a certain class.

Anyone?

Raw64life said:
Erm, I'd say don't worry and pick what you like. All the classes are pretty strong and I'm not sure you could fuck yourself over with any party as far as beating the main game goes. If you're really concerned, go with the old stand-by: Melee, melee, healer, magic nuker.

Volcynika

How long after starting the game can you save? I'm going to try and play a bit at work during lunch and I don't want to get caught in some long intro where you can't save too long after you begin (at least going to play around 30 minutes).

MrDaravon

I wasn't able to post yesterday (I'm at work now, stupid thunderstorm Friday killed my internet and is still down :( ), but I freaking love this game. There's so much charm to everything, and it works so well on a handheld. Sacksquatch is the best enemy ever.

I'm assuming they're listed in the bestiary in-game whenever I get it as well, but the guide has descriptions of all the monsters, and they're pretty awesome.

I also LOVE the fact that equipment changes your character's appearance. So, so good.

zigg

Volcynika said:
How long after starting the game can you save? I'm going to try and play a bit at work during lunch and I don't want to get caught in some long intro where you can't save too long after you begin (at least going to play around 30 minutes).

Good charge + sleep mode?

Fewr

Volcynika said:
There is a quick save option.

rush777 said:
Whats the general consensus on how to spend weapon skill points? should I stick with one and max it or go with 2?
You can abuse Metals and the 12 classes for skill points and make up for bad choices, but it's much more efficient to just plan out a strategy and stick with it. You can only equip one weapon afterall.

kai3345

Banned
Ugh, yeah, whoever said the game slowed down with 4 party members was right. That got really annoying when walking around town.

Damn, that really sucks. I don't mind the game being on DS at all, totally fine with it, but this is kinda why some people want games like this on more powerful consoles. We should not be getting RPG's where the number of party members you have actually slows down the framerate. Pretty inexcusable stuff that should not have made it past QC.

brandonh83 said:
Damn, that really sucks. I don't mind the game being on DS at all, totally fine with it, but this is kinda why some people want games like this on more powerful consoles. We should not be getting RPG's where the number of party members you have actually slows down the framerate. Pretty inexcusable stuff that should not have made it past QC.
Honestly, that's Level 5 for you. If they put it on a more powerful system they'd just push that system past its limits, too. Look at DQ8.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Honestly, that's Level 5 for you. If they put it on a more powerful system they'd just push that system past its limits, too. Look at DQ8.

Never had any problems like that with DQ8 that I remember.

Stencil said:
Went in to GameStop today and got practically laughed out of the store because "I didn't preorder?!?" I was seething with anger, they, as a video game specialty (read: ONLY) store, only get 4 copies of a major Squeenix/Nintendo release? They told me 3 of them were for preorders and the extra got sold. What a bunch of bullshit. Fuck that, is TrU still having their "Buy 1 get a $15 Gift Card" deal for DQIX? Or was that also for preorders??

/rant

I went to two Super-Walmart and they don't even have the game to begin with.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kuro Madoushi said:
What do I hate?
- Although I like the new skill progression, I still think they need to change it more. What's the point of poison if everyone is immune to it and it does minimal damage IF it strikes? Metal slash? For the 1% of the enemies out there? Dragon slash? Who needs it THAT early in the game? Barefists? Useless. I don't think FF ever had the BEST job system, but it was extremely well-managed and a lot of skills were actually useful :p Even White Knight Chronicles had tons of skills (some useless), but they could be used in a lot of situations. In DQ9, and most other DQ games, it's just mostly attack attack heal attack.
- Serious...we're in 2010 and I can't skip text? I also can't skip scenes I've seen already, and there are so many instances where I have to do ONE thing at a time whereas in other games I can do several at once. Case in point - Job change...UGH...sooooooo tedious having to swim through so much text to do such a simple act whereas in FFT it's less than a second. Buying and selling has always been tedious throughout the series, and I wish they'd just embrace a more streamlined experience.
- Extra jobs. I HATE the quests to get these jobs, and I think it'd be much more eloquent and meaningful to tie these jobs into side-story quests instead of 'KILL METAL SLIMES AFTER USING WIZARD WARD! Oh yeah...YOUR WIZARD HAS TO LAND THE KILLING BLOW LULZ'. They could've done an easy 'ghost ranger seeks help for his grieving widow. will grant you his benevolessence for your trouble'. I realize you can finish these quests with some thinking and preparation, but again, I just feel it could've been handled a LOT better.
- Quest markers. Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I would've preferred them put a little triangle or something above NPCs that give quests instead of having me wade through ALL NPCs and all that text to see if they're going to offer me something.

You're a little too early to be hating on Metal Slash. That 1% of enemies will soon become 90% of the enemies you kill lol.

Also theres a quest that requires poison, though it's probably better to use the poison dagger than the spell.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It changes the frame-rate from like 30 to 20, you're wandering around, frame rate is not a big deal.

It's definitely no slower than DQVII was.

brandonh83 said:
Never had any problems like that with DQ8 that I remember.
DQ8 didn't have framerate problems. It had loading time problems. And those loading time problems were a direct result of L5 pushing more than they should have or needed to. In the English version they were particularly awful, due to the voices, new menus, and extra animations being shoehorned in without sufficient optimization.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm doing the gladiator quest. Did 2 slimes easily, but I cant get the character with Dragon Slash to go high tension a 3rd time. Gets to 50 then says it wont go higher. Is there a cool down period or something? Few nights at an Inn solve it?

edit: Managed to get it, just kept doing Tension + ability a lot and eventually it clicked on.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Segata Sanshiro said:
DQ8 didn't have framerate problems. It had loading time problems. And those loading time problems were a direct result of L5 pushing more than they should have or needed to. In the English version they were particularly awful, due to the voices, new menus, and extra animations being shoehorned in without sufficient optimization.

you mean like loading a battle from the world map? I always assumed it was my old waiting to crap out ps2 that was responsible for that... not bad enough to make me stop playing though.

levious said:
you mean like loading a battle from the world map? I always assumed it was my old waiting to crap out ps2 that was responsible for that... not bad enough to make me stop playing though.
Battle transitions and menu transitions both had loading, as well as anytime someone spoke.

But you're right, it's not bad enough to stop playing. Neither is the framerate drop in DQ9.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Just formed my party outside of Stornwall and now am grinding to get some good weapons for the rest of them... really like how the world is much bigger than the DQ4 and 5 remakes, not sure if I like the quest system yet, I'm just worried it'll mean lots of grinding for loot later on down the line.

So far I have a minstrel (lead char), martial artist, white mage, black mage.

kai3345

Banned
Yeah, by no means is it game breaking, just...irritating.

So I'm just assuming based off of other RPGs but Im assuming Priest is healing/buff magic while Mage is offensive magic, correct?

kai3345 said:
Yeah, by no means is it game breaking, just...irritating.
So here's my party as of now.

So I'm just assuming based off of other RPGs but Im assuming Priest is healing/buff magic while Mage is offensive magic, correct?
Yup.

Synless

I've been running around town with four party members and while I can certainly see the lower framerate, it is no where near as bad as some of you make it sound.

That said, when I get on campus today i'd better get at least one tag.

Effect

I think I have one problem with the game so far. The party system. The reasons for having a party or well the lack of them. It just seems you just recruit characters or pick them from a list just so you can have a party. Is that as deep as it goes and one shouldn't worry about it? If a story reason is needed one can make up their own?

I made my party members. I went with Priest, Thief and Minstrel. Then I realized that my starting character is a minstrel, not a warrior. Oops! Oh well, I guess I'll be able to change them around soon enough. Does minstrel get any kind of weapons other than fans? Like, some guitar or lute or something? I envisioned them being like the Bard class in FF, but maybe I'm off base.

Also, I've been thinking... I really hope there's some throwback armor at some point later in the game that looks like DQ1's hero.

Kuro Madoushi said:
- Quest markers. Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I would've preferred them put a little triangle or something above NPCs that give quests instead of having me wade through ALL NPCs and all that text to see if they're going to offer me something.

Well actually, the bubble over their head is blue instead of white if they have a quest for you.

GeekyDad

Effect said:
I think I have one problem with the game so far. The party system. The reasons for having a party or well the lack of them. It just seems you just recruit characters or pick them from a list just so you can have a party. Is that as deep as it goes and one shouldn't worry about it? If a story reason is needed one can make up their own?

Yeah, there's no denying, it is kind of a generic approach, but on the other hand, it gives the player all the room in the world to tinker. I just let the game decide three characters for me and rolled with it, but you do get the option of creating characters from scratch.

I'm loving the game so far, and really, I can't understand why reviewers have taken issue with the story. It seems to take a similar approach to Zelda with the whole silent-protagonist thing, and even though I remember having distinct characters in IV and V, I don't remember them having much to say. The stories in these games always seem to revolve around your character, and it works...for me, anyway.

I'm about 12 hours in. There's not much I would change about the game, really. It's a very classic RPG in spite of the new things they've added. I've got no problems with that. It's fun, it's well written, and holy cow, there's a lot to do. I spent 30 minutes just fooling around with alchemy the first time the option opened up to me.

Gaaraz

Probably already been asked, but is this game still worth getting for single player only? My stupid DS won't go onto the my WiFi :/

Effect

Are the pre-made characters randomly generated? I got two named Helga (MA) and Hannah (Mage)? I made up the third one myself.

kai3345 said:
Ugh, yeah, whoever said the game slowed down with 4 party members was right. That got really annoying when walking around town.

Noticed this as well. I am wondering now if when the 3DS comes out this won't happen since the hardware will be more powerful. I have DSi. Does anyone with the game that has a DSi XL know if you get slow down in towns?

Does anyone know where to find wallpapers with all the artwork that Toriyama did for the game?

And while we're at it, just got the game, and really enjoying myself.

kai3345

Banned
blizeH said:
Probably already been asked, but is this game still worth getting for single player only? My stupid DS won't go onto the my WiFi :/
You don't need wifi for multiplayer, only to download DLC quests. And as far as I've played, its really fun single player.

Also, have any US GAFers had any luck with Tag mode yet?

botticus

Oh dear, beware the Slood hat! It had better stats the the Pointy Hat my battle-priest was using, but yikes is that a monstrosity. I'm justifying it by saying she's wearing a defeated slime as a trophy.

Trurl

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Except for the loading times, yeah.
I haven't played DQVIII in forever, but I honestly don't remember very bad loading times. I suppose that when I think of bad loading times in an RPG I think of PS1 era Final Fantasies.

I hope to pick this game up before August. I also hope that good word of mouth finally gives DQ the success it deserves in America. There are a lot of misconceptions about DQ in this country. One of the worst (which I even see on GAF a lot) is that DQ is a game that is only enjoyable to hardcore RPG fans.

Effect said:
Are the pre-made characters randomly generated? I got two named Helga (MA) and Hannah (Mage)? I made up the third one myself.

Noticed this as well. I am wondering now if when the 3DS comes out this won't happen since the hardware will be more powerful. I have DSi. Does anyone with the game that has a DSi XL know if you get slow down in towns?
The slowdown is the same whether you're using an O.G. DS, a DSL, a DSi, or a DSi XL. I mean, even if there were differences, there certainly wouldn't be between the DSi and the DSi XL. They're the same hardware, just one has a bigger screen.

GeekyDad said:
Yeah, there's no denying, it is kind of a generic approach, but on the other hand, it gives the player all the room in the world to tinker. I just let the game decide three characters for me and rolled with it, but you do get the option of creating characters from scratch.

I'm loving the game so far, and really, I can't understand why reviewers have taken issue with the story. It seems to take a similar approach to Zelda with the whole silent-protagonist thing, and even though I remember having distinct characters in IV and V, I don't remember them having much to say. The stories in these games always seem to revolve around your character, and it works...for me, anyway.

I'm about 12 hours in. There's not much I would change about the game, really. It's a very classic RPG in spite of the new things they've added. I've got no problems with that. It's fun, it's well written, and holy cow, there's a lot to do. I spent 30 minutes just fooling around with alchemy the first time the option opened up to me.
You are right. DQ is always about a generic group of adventurers tackling evil in small chunks via fantastically well done vignettes. I'd take a Wight Knight story over forced melodrama anyday.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, any reports on how well this game is doing? When I went to my local Best Buy, they only had one copy left (and it was hidden off in a separate section filled with Nintendo first-party DS titles), and no guides. If that means anything...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally started playing this morning for just a little bit at work while I was the only one in the office. Didn't go far at all, but, hey, Dragon Quest at work on a Monday morning. Can't beat that. :lol

There's something nice about being able to hum right along with the main start menu music in a new game you're never played before. Good ol' Dragon Quest.

MetatronM said:
Finally started playing this morning for just a little bit at work while I was the only one in the office. Didn't go far at all, but, hey, Dragon Quest at work on a Monday morning. Can't beat that. :lol

There's something nice about being able to hum right along with the main start menu music in a new game you're never played before. Good ol' Dragon Quest.
Fffff I really wanted to bring in my XL to work today.

Top Bottom