• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

Link Man said:
First place I checked. It was locked.

Anyway, I'm going to play some more now, so I'll figure it out.
Someone at the Abbey tells you that the door can be unlocked by bowing in front of it. And someone at the Abbey teaches you the "bow" party trick.

Bentendo

Kind of embarrassing, but when I was talking to the
mayor of the town with the disease, he told me to go talk to the doctor. But when I removed a smudge from the DS's touch screen, it went through the talk screen so I couldn't read where the doctor is. I remember seeing the word west. Is the doctor in the town or somewhere else???

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So...has anyone equipped
Erdrick's Set yet? SOOO glad they went with THAT name in the localization. Screw Loto!

Link Man said:
First place I checked. It was locked.

Anyway, I'm going to play some more now, so I'll figure it out.

Talk to the Priest in the Inn, then talk to the man up on the first floor in front of the statue until he tells you how to unlock the door to the tower
. It threw me for a loop too, I did half of the
Jona
events before I realized how to complete the mess at the Abbey.

Aeana

Brandon F said:
So...has anyone equipped
Erdrick's Set yet? SOOO glad they went with THAT name in the localization. Screw Loto!
I heard about that because the whiner squad at the Dragon's Den forum are making a huge deal out of it. Not really a big deal to me.

botticus said:
They're called staffs in stores.

Holy shit, I'm a moron but also that's some sloppy localizing. So Wands are called Staffs in stores and Staffs are called Poles? I've been dumping points into Staffs for my Priest, considering she was, you know, outfitted with an oak staff.

Rpgmonkey

Himuro said:
Is it hyperbolic to say that this game has raised the standard for portable rpg quality?

I feel the standard was raised a while ago, DQIX's just one of the games that easily meets that standard. :D

Joe Shlabotnik said:
So Wands are called Staffs in stores and Staffs are called Poles?
What?

Is it kind of like how Balrog is really M.Bison, but Vega is really Balrog, which means Balrog is really Vega...or M.Bison? ...Wait...

Koomaster said:
The game seems to be psychic/cheating when you use 'Focus on Healing' as a tactic.

Seems? :lol Oh, it's definitely just deciding on tactics when the character's individual turn comes up. For the sake of unpredictableness it's not 100%, but unless I know for a fact that I need to have my Priest healing that round, the tactic is far safer than using manual control.

The first four hours of the game had fooled me into thinking "Fight Wisely" had become an evenhanded MP mechanic, but I guess it sometimes falls back into the same old crap that DQ4/6/8 had where you have to enforce "Don't Use MP" for most of a dungeon. -_-;

Nonetheless, AI is really a must for levelling, cuts down battle time and general button tapping annoyance a lot.

Forkball

So I'll be picking this game up tomorrow. Any tips? I don't want to screw myself by focusing on the wrong skills or picking a useless class.

Koomaster

Crazymoogle said:
Seems? :lol Oh, it's definitely just deciding on tactics when the character's individual turn comes up. For the sake of unpredictableness it's not 100%, but unless I know for a fact that I need to have my Priest healing that round, the tactic is far safer than using manual control.

The first four hours of the game had fooled me into thinking "Fight Wisely" had become an evenhanded MP mechanic, but I guess it sometimes falls back into the same old crap that DQ4/6/8 had where you have to enforce "Don't Use MP" for most of a dungeon. -_-;

Nonetheless, AI is really a must for levelling, cuts down battle time and general button tapping annoyance a lot.
:lol Yeah, definitely is a better word than seems for this. I usually just wander around with someone focusing on healing and not worry about my party's health after that as I know whenever anyone gets low at anytime they will get taken care of so long as she has enough MP and healing items.

And yeah Fight Wisely is a misnomer; it's like the AI gets nervous about under performing, so will use MP even if it means overkill. My thief will constantly try to poison EVERYTHING even if it's only a single enemy on the field which the party could easily finish in a single turn. Yes, please waste your MP poisoning that slime, it's super helpful! :lol

andymcc

Banned
Link Man said:
So I'm a little ways in (
just met Jona and the whale, er, Llevaithan
), and I figured I should probably post my party:

DQParty.jpg

Sykalios would be Sykaliorsa, if not for the character limit.

When I was looking through the faces, I just knew that I would have to recreate Krilin (from Dragonball, for those who don't know). In the spirit of DBZ abridged, I've made him a priest, nerfing his attack power.

Dragona is my main damage dealer, and I'm loving her. I couldn't think of a name for her, and that was the first name I came up with that seemed appropriate.

Can't wait to be able to change my job (I'm guessing it's coming soon), I want to level my Hero as a thief for a bit to get half-inch.

Oh, and I got the strategy guide. The thing is huge! I can already see myself consulting the bestiary regularly, and some of the listed accolades seem insane! And if I'm reading this right, it says that if you level a job up to level 99, you can reset the job at level 1 with the same stats. (JapanGAF, please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, it makes it sound as though the grottos can be obtained indefinitely without having to use tag mode, is this true?)

Anyway, looks like this game is going to be really meaty, so I'd better get cracking on it.

I made a martial artist Kuririn. :lol

Einbroch

Banned
Just picked this game up, and loving it so far...but...

Do you get a resurrection ability at any point? This is my first DQ game so I have no idea what to expect. I hate running back to town anytime a character dies.

Other than that I'm completely addicted.

Einbroch said:
Just picked this game up, and loving it so far...but...

Do you get a resurrection ability at any point? This is my first DQ game so I have no idea what to expect. I hate running back to town anytime a character dies.

Other than that I'm completely addicted.
Yeah, you do.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, finally had a chance to get through the opening.
LOVING it! That battle theme is catchy!

The cutscene was beautiful.

I REALLY like the theme/story of the game, super cool.

This is my first Dragon Quest game and I'm really enjoying it so far. The characters are really fun to customize and upgrade. The story is unique and interesting and I havent got lost yet. The monsters have all been cool, probably old news to most but its a refreshing change from familiar D&D stuff. The npcs are worth talking to and always have new stuff to say at the right times. I was a little confused about starting as a bard automatically and wasted my first ten levels points in swords, when I probably should have been getting my class specific skills. The framerate drop with a full party in town kind of sucks but at least the battles show everyone on screen together and are smooth.

The framerate drops aren't *too* bad, but to sort of get around that I've been playing with a party of three. I might regret it once the game gets more difficult, but I'm doing okay so far.

sorry if its been answered, but I can now form a party, and was wondering what the most effective starting party should be! yes I want someone to hold my hand here!

Link Man

Banned
Aeana said:
Someone at the Abbey tells you that the door can be unlocked by bowing in front of it. And someone at the Abbey teaches you the "bow" party trick.
Yeah, I figured it out on my own. I'm kind of bummed about the lower level=lower exp thing, though.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
sorry if its been answered, but I can now form a party, and was wondering what the most effective starting party should be! yes I want someone to hold my hand here!
You'll be fine with any mix, but if you need someone to give you a starter...

Warrior, monk, mage, priest. Go!

Big One

Banned
So I've encountered the toughest challenge yet in the game:
the pig boss at the prison.
Holy shit this is awful. It wouldn't be so bad if he wouldn't land hard ass critical blows constantly.

Edit: Holy shit, I can go outside? :lol Dammit, now I can sleep tonight. Maybe I should leave them there...

So, I've started going forward with the following party:

Minstrel (Hero): Whip & Acrobatics
Priest: Spear & Faith
Mage: Wand & Magick
Martial Artist: Weapon Undecided & Battle Spirit

Eventually I'm going to have each character learn a second weapon and class skill when I train them in their second class. But this is going to be my party for the foreseeable future.

Is this going to be an adequate party or will I run into trouble? I know a whip isn't really a traditional choice for a MC but I wanted to give it a chance. My Martial Artist's weapon choice is a difficult one for me. I really want to use a fan but I worry that I'll be without a really strong melee character that way.

zoku88

Aeana said:
I'm surprised you actually use AI! DQ AI is usually hit or miss with me.
I actually kinda like using ai. It makes me feel more like the main character.

I just got this game. Got my main character using a fan. Also put a martial artist, mage, and priest. Liking it so far. I can't believe I had doubts about this game a while ago.

Link Man

Banned
Gunloc said:
So, I've started going forward with the following party:

Minstrel (Hero): Whip & Acrobatics
Priest: Spear & Faith
Mage: Wand & Magick
Martial Artist: Weapon Undecided & Battle Spirit

Eventually I'm going to have each character learn a second weapon and class skill when I train them in their second class. But this is going to be my party for the foreseeable future.

Is this going to be an adequate party or will I run into trouble? I know a whip isn't really a traditional choice for a MC but I wanted to give it a chance. My Martial Artist's weapon choice is a difficult one for me. I really want to use a fan but I worry that I'll be without a really strong melee character that way.
My martial artist uses a fan, and she does the most damage out of anybody in my party.

Pyrokai

Just bought my copy today! Played about 45 minutes before bed. I wanted to keep going but I had to get to sleep since I have to get up in the morning.

Also, I feel a bit ashamed since I still haven't finished DQIV yet. I'm going to get to it though before I glo much further!!!

And done for the night. Metal Medley is GREAT, my new Level 1 Farming spot :D.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do about this 15 Ranger quest, I haven't leveled a Warrior yet and don't really want to put that many points into it to get Whistle :(

Leafy Larrikin calls for backup!

It isn't a Dragon Quest game without enemies using that so many times in a battle, the letters to designate the different monsters of the same kind is up to about H and everyone levels up at the end. At least, I've had it happen to me in all the ones I've played. :lol

Also,
Aeana said:
When someone tells you it's too dangerous, that means to get your butt in there and save the day!
I wrongly assumed the same thing in Coffinwell, only to realize I needed to first talk to the mayor again and get the key to Quarantomb. Shall tackle that tonight.

Himuro said:
They're easier to get due to spawn tricks. Like, the first area you find them, you can just sit there and a bunch of monsters will spawn and keep moving in your direction, and when you see a metal slime, just engage it.

Hot. I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Where's the first area you can find them? I just got to the part where you can change vocations.

Tiktaalik

Welp got my first deaths. Damn you 2nd Boss (
Wight Knight
)! He took out my mage and healer. Fortunately with this game you get exp even for folks who die so I didn't have to bother doing the boss battle again.

It cost 20 gold to revive each. I know that the costs for reviving scale up but I've never really figured out how it works. Does it increase every time you have to revive someone or does it sort of scale by your level?

The other thing I've noticed now that I have four people in my party is the framerate hit. Wow. It is pretty damn bad. It really chugs when you're on the world map and there happens to be not only your team but more than one baddie. The worst part is that it seems to make the actual text speed chug too. Maybe I'm crazy but after the boss battle in the NIS it was just two characters, and the text speed was fine, but on the exploration screen in a town when all four chars are on the screen it seems really choppy. I'm not really sure about the difference since there have been NIS's with several characters on the screen. Maybe in those NIS scenes they're able to cut out a bunch of other things and handle it differently.

Top Bottom