• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

There's a 1up interview with Yuji Horii about DQIX. At the end they asked him about DQVI. Here's what he said:

1UP: Is Dragon Quest VI still coming out in the U.S.?

Horii: Dragon Quest IV and V have already been released on the DS in the United States, so Dragon Quest VI is definitely a possibility!

I was hoping he'd confirm it and say "yes!" But he said "it's a possibility." I know another Square-Enix guy said that the DQ remakes didn't sell that well in the US, so I hope this doesn't mean DQVI is cancelled.

I still hope it comes over.

DarkKyo

Oh man... I got it today and played for like 6 hours straight. I'm probably gonna pick it up again while in bed.

Does it stay as addicting or am I about to burn myself out?

zoku88

People who die still get experience? That's awesome. people who got knocked out not getting experience never really made sense in rpg's

Shinjitsu

Banned
I feel so guilty, I wanted to finish Persona 3 Portable, but i can't stop playing this game.

I got 5 tags today canvasing when I was on the Seoul train today!

jaxword

Man, thieves are terrible thieves. Stealing is almost impossible. I managed to get EXTREMELY lucky and got a dexterity-boosting drop early in the game, and my thief STILL sucks at stealing.

Anyone have any suggestions to make him a better thief. I had this idea of always getting his Coup De Gras, but is there a way to trigger that constantly?

Stencil

Damn Wight Knight...

I'm allocating my Skill Points all across the board, is that a bad idea?

Also, if you choose not to allocate them right away do you ever lose them?

ataboada

Getting this game tomorrow. Although I'm somewhat disappointed about multiplayer and tag mode here in America. I was looking forward to playing it the way it was intended.

Any ideas for multiplayer meet ups, or at least places to tag (excluding PAX, etc.)? E.g. If living in the city of Chicago, going to a specific spot in Millennium Park, or hopping on the L's last car during specific times of the day. Can't remember where I saw something similar, but it looked promising.

jaxword

Stencil said:
Damn Wight Knight...

I'm allocating my Skill Points all across the board, is that a bad idea?

Also, if you choose not to allocate them right away do you ever lose them?

No, you can save them. Some people save up like 50 for a job change and then BAM instant expertise.

What trouble are you having with Wight?

Stencil

jaxword said:
What trouble are you having with Wight?

He's just kicking my ass. I'm level 11 with good equipment. I use Hot Lick until I need to heal and then use Hot Lick til I need to save MP for heal. I thought I had him last time (4th try) and then I used Heal but he got to attack again, killing me. Baaah!

jaxword said:
Man, thieves are terrible thieves. Stealing is almost impossible. I managed to get EXTREMELY lucky and got a dexterity-boosting drop early in the game, and my thief STILL sucks at stealing.

Anyone have any suggestions to make him a better thief. I had this idea of always getting his Coup De Gras, but is there a way to trigger that constantly?

I believe that the trait deftness increase the success of the "half-inch" skill, but an expert can chime in and provide a more thorough answer.

Grampasso

Stencil said:
He's just kicking my ass. I'm level 11 with good equipment. I use Hot Lick until I need to heal and then use Hot Lick til I need to save MP for heal. I thought I had him last time (4th try) and then I used Heal but he got to attack again, killing me. Baaah!
Uh, is this at the start of the game? I thought you could have a party pretty early on in the game but from the sound of it you're still fighting alone?

Aeana

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
There's a 1up interview with Yuji Horii about DQIX. At the end they asked him about DQVI. Here's what he said:

I was hoping he'd confirm it and say "yes!" But he said "it's a possibility." I know another Square-Enix guy said that the DQ remakes didn't sell that well in the US, so I hope this doesn't mean DQVI is cancelled.

It's coming.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm curious about the class-change system, does anything carry over? i seem to recall hearing skills / spells don't, but i'm wondering if anything else does. I'm thinking of class-changing my mage to a martial artist when i get to that part of the game!

Aeana

Lafiel said:
I'm curious about the class-change system, does anything carry over? i seem to recall hearing skills / spells don't, but i'm wondering if anything else does. I'm thinking of class-changing my mage to a martial artist when i get to that part of the game!
Skills learned from the class-specific line carry over, and points put into each skill line carry over as long as the new class has that skill line available. Mastering a weapon makes it so you can equip it on all classes, too. Spells never carry over.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuck me. Staying by my sister's for now while I'm overseas and her step-down converter doesn't seem to like ny US DS charger for whatever reason. Between my flight here and my session last night, I finally made it to Stornway. But now my DS is dead and I have no means to charge it. Weird, because the converter works just fine with my iPhone's charger.

I really want to continue playing... Something tes me that I'm about to be able to recruit party members!

Link Man

Banned
Garcian said:
Quick question chaps - got DQV here & have been gifted DQIX; which one shall I go through first?

Mejilan - where are you?
Go through V first, because IX will consume your soul (and all remaining free time).

Gravijah

Is there a list of advanced jobs (without spoilers)? Would like to have a bit planned ahead.

Synless said:
They have been going strong for me, lvl. 22 and counting.

Oooh, where where? Spoiler it if you have to so I can look later! :lol

Hobbun

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

1UP: Is Dragon Quest VI still coming out in the U.S.?

Horii: Dragon Quest IV and V have already been released on the DS in the United States, so Dragon Quest VI is definitely a possibility!

WTF, a "possibility?" Why be coy about it, Horii? I thought it was already announced for EU and NA?

Aeana said:
It's coming.

Aeana to the rescue, again.

FYI, there's a much better metal slime enemy in the Bloomdale area that gives around 3x what a Metal Slime does and spawns a lot easier. I just played a few minutes before work and got my Hero to 12 Priest in 2 spawns in about 5 minutes.

Maxing Fans and getting the hell out of there before I spend days doing nothing but killing slimes.

I'm only nine or ten hours in but I have no issues with the story. Yes, the Celestian plot is just a framing device, but the "vignettes" pushing you forward are wonderful so far. I prefer it to the usual convoluted nonsense, certainly.

Aeana

<3 alchemy.

Just made a fire blade (attack 83) and a gigaspike whip (attack 68) which turned my mage into a powerhouse. Can't wait until she maxes whips and I can turn her into a more physically powerful job and tear stuff apart. Same goes for my heroine, with boomerangs. I need to get her a more powerful one, though. Once I happen across a swallowtail in shops, I should at least be able to make a gusterang (attack 61) using the agility ring I got from the wifi shop today~

Hobbun

Aeana said:
<3 alchemy.

Just made a fire blade (attack 83) and a gigaspike whip (attack 68) which turned my mage into a powerhouse. Can't wait until she maxes whips and I can turn her into a more physically powerful job and tear stuff apart. Same goes for my heroine, with boomerangs. I need to get her a more powerful one, though. Once I happen across a swallowtail in shops, I should at least be able to make a gusterang (attack 61) using the agility ring I got from the wifi shop today~

So does the Alchemy work very similar to like DQ VIII? I finally picked up DQ IX yesterday, but haven't had an opportunity yet to start it.

Aeana

Hobbun said:
So does the Alchemy work very similar to like DQ VIII? I finally picked up DQ IX yesterday, but haven't had an opportunity yet to start it.
It's the same concept, but there are some differences. 1) The alchemy pot is stationary, and isn't with you at all times, 2) Alchemy is completed instantly, so you don't have to walk around and wait for stuff to cook, 3) There are far, far, far more recipes scattered throughout the world, and they're added to a list from which you can simply select an item and make it (you can even choose the number of items to make if you have the materials for several).

Hobbun

Aeana said:
It's the same concept, but there are some differences. 1) The alchemy pot is stationary, and isn't with you at all times, 2) Alchemy is completed instantly, so you don't have to walk around and wait for stuff to cook, 3) There are far, far, far more recipes scattered throughout the world, and they're added to a list from which you can simply select an item and make it (you can even choose the number of items to make if you have the materials for several).

Ok, so it makes it a lot more easier in several aspects and a little more difficult in one (in it being stationary). Although that can even easily be remedied eventually I am sure when you learn "Zoom!"

On another note, anyone know how well the game is selling in your area so far? From my local GS, not so good. They only sold 4 copies on launch and only 6 more since when I picked my copy up, yesterday. :(

I hope this game really picks up in sales.

Gravijah

How do you people get pictures of your characters to not suck? :lol All I could manage was super blurry stuff before my digi-cam went dead.

Aeana

Gravijah said:
How do you people get pictures of your characters to not suck? :lol All I could manage was super blurry stuff before my digi-cam went dead.
Does your camera have a macro mode (usually a little icon that looks like a flower)? That's what I use to make it look sharp.

Gravijah

Aeana said:
Does your camera have a macro mode (usually a little icon that looks like a flower)? That's what I use to make it look sharp.

I'll give that a shot whenever it charges... Before it went dead I had found something with a flower, and it seemed to be working. Thanks!

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I reached the point where I made my party. I take it I can't yet change classes though? I refuse to put in any skill points on my main character. I want him to be an axe wielder.

Also, the text speed is killing me. Not so much when I'm actually reading it, but if it looks unimportant and I just want to skim or if I talk to someone I already talked to without realizing it, I have no way to just skip the text. GRRRR!

Other than that it's kind of boring but only because I'm like level 5 and all jRPGs are boring in the beginning. I have high hopes for once it opens up more and I can mix and match classes better.

Link Man

Banned
Aeana said:
<3 alchemy.

I just spent two hours farming for alchemy (and earning the Armamentalist, but that wasn't tough at all). Kind of screwed over Dragona, though, as I turned her Tracksuit Top into a Tussler's Top without realizing it was male-only. I had a spare Robe of Concealment, though, so it's not too bad.

I'm going to be putting a lot of hours into this game, I can tell.

this game is amazing. I really hope it sells well.
I have yet to get any tags and I don't think I will where I live either, unless this game hits cultural phenomenon status sometime soon

Mejilan said:
Fuck me. Staying by my sister's for now while I'm overseas and her step-down converter doesn't seem to like ny US DS charger for whatever reason. Between my flight here and my session last night, I finally made it to Stornway. But now my DS is dead and I have no means to charge it. Weird, because the converter works just fine with my iPhone's charger.
I had the same problem with my DS charger when I went to India. The problem is that the DS charger inconveniently happens to have a different voltage than most other chargers and the converter is either too strong or not strong enough, I don't remember exactly. The DS's charger is I believe 120v and you can try looking for a converter that's compatible with the DS charger. I came across one in India and basically it was a converter with a dial on it with which you could change the voltage.

I really hope Dragon Quest VII gets a DS or 3DS port/remake too. I was playing the game on my PSP and had gotten maybe 25-30 hours in when I hit an unavoidable crash with POPS. I would love to get another crack at it, especially if they sharpened up the soft PS1 graphics to look as good as the DS remakes.

Anyways, my copy of Dragon Quest IX should be arriving today.

thefil

Mr. Wonderful said:
I really hope Dragon Quest VII gets a DS or 3DS port/remake too. I was playing the game on my PSP and had gotten maybe 25-30 hours in when I hit an unavoidable crash with POPS. I would love to get another crack at it, especially if they sharpened up the soft PS1 graphics to look as good as the DS remakes.

I guess that ruins my plan.

antispin

PunjabiPlaya said:
I had the same problem with my DS charger when I went to India. The problem is that the DS charger inconveniently happens to have a different voltage than most other chargers and the converter is either too strong or not strong enough, I don't remember exactly. The DS's charger is I believe 120v and you can try looking for a converter that's compatible with the DS charger. I came across one in India and basically it was a converter with a dial on it with which you could change the voltage.

Yeah, I used to employ those all the time for stepping down the 220 for my import DSx here. The most convenient solution for me however, was a USB charging cable from Play Asia. So good.

Btw, everyone @experiencing framerate issues: I don't suppose the game is any smoother on the DSi, is it?

Top Bottom